Davies to Stoke <Confirmed on Echo>

Glasgow_Saint

I don't think he's anywhere near the player people on him make him out to be, BUT, he will be missed and we'll need a replacement. I imagine JP will just use Raccine/Lancashire though.

Don't know why people are surprised. This is our situation. If there's a reasonable bid, people will leave. We're trying to get back to a vaguely sensible financial position. All we can do is get behind Jan and whoever we have on the pitch. The finances suck, but we're doing what we can to fix it, it's just a crappy situation. Probably the price of staying up so long, and of course, wasting so many resources in our first couple of CCC years, but there we go.

Dead right unfortunately.

If Lowe has sold him for £1.3m then i am in total disbelief. Sure he has been injured for a few months but he is worth a hell of a lot more then that, christ even Thomas cost more. Total shock if this happens.

If there's a clause in his contract to sell him to a Prem side then there's not much Lowe could do about it. If it's a panic sale just to raise money then, at £1.3m, we've undersold by a long way and those sanctioning the deal need to be shot.

If we didn't know it before, then we know now this is going to be a LONG and difficult season.

no he didn't

Yes he did.....

Thomas cost £1.2m and Davies joined on 3 month loan deal with a view to a £1m permanent fee. Seeing as he joined and the actual fee was classified as undisclosed that would generally mean less was paid because if they had a deal for £1m why would it increase all of a sudden?

So yes Thomas did cost more then Davies.

Yes he did.....

Thomas cost £1.2m and Davies joined on 3 month loan deal with a view to a £1m permanent fee. Seeing as he joined and the actual fee was classified as undisclosed that would generally mean less was paid because if they had a deal for £1m why would it increase all of a sudden?

So yes Thomas did cost more then Davies.

This is correct.

Well im pretty sure he would fail the medical so he would not be able to sign untill he is fully fit which wont be for another 2 or 3 weeks i thought.

Like other people my love for this club is fading how can you have favouite players when all they do is leave within a year if there decent lowe is ruining this club.

Well im pretty sure he would fail the medical so he would not be able to sign untill he is fully fit which wont be for another 2 or 3 weeks i thought.

Like other people my love for this club is fading how can you have favouite players when all they do is leave within a year if there decent lowe is ruining this club.

My love for the club returned today.

Are you ****ing serious?

I know how retarded you usually are, but really?

I'll ask for the thousandth time, what the hell else are we supposed to do? Don't tell me - Keep best players, magically have more money, brilliant. Thank **** it's not you in charge.

Didn't think it would take long for you to chip in. You are a sad pathetic lonely clueless moron. You seem to think your quite intelligent and people value your contributions, but you really haven't got a clue about anything. I know someone who's met you and he said you're a complete saddo in real life as well. Please kindly **** off and die. We've lost our (IMO) best player and our performance on the pitch could suffer as a result, which could leave us relegated. If we go down we'll most likely be in a much worse position financially than if we stay up and had kept Davies.

Stoke local paper:

STOKE boss Tony Pulis cushioned the blow of today's 3-1 loss at Bolton by revealing that Southampton's 23-year-old defender Andrew Davies could soon become the club's fourth signing of the summer.

Speaking after seeing his side succumb to three first-half goals in today's momentous Premier League opener, Pulis disclosed: "We are speaking to Southampton and we have agreed a deal with them.

"He's got good experience, but is also a young lad with good legs.

"You need that in the Premier League, but we will see because the deal is not finalised yet.

"We also need to get a bit more Premier League experience in and we have been working hard to do that."

Davies, who can play left-back or centre-half, was watching from the stands at The Reebok this afternoon as Stoke blew a decent start to the day by conceding three goals in the space of 13 first-half minutes.

That depends on whether you agree with my opinion or not, however I just don't see the point in all these emotional extremes that fly about claming our world will end just because one player might be sold. Jeez, get a grip. Life goes on.

Honestly Minty, ****ing hell when will you get off the f-ing fence???!!!

For fu cks sake, climb down from you pathetic middle ground and realise we are deeper in the sh it than you will ever think! Do you smoke drugs?

Honestly Minty, ****ing hell when will you get off the f-ing fence???!!!

For fu cks sake, climb down from you pathetic middle ground and realise we are deeper in the sh it than you will ever think! Do you smoke drugs?

Pathetic middle ground? lol... I call it how I see it... and the way I see it, losing Davies will be a big blow, but we've lost players who we thought were irreplaceable before and done fine. You're entitled to your opinion, leave me to have mine. How anyone can claim to know what is going to happen is beyond me, and for you to claim any different is ridiculous.

I wouldn't normally lower myself, but as you want me to come off the fence however, I'll say this:

F*ck off and take your patronising sh!t with you.

On a more general note, how f*cking pathetic are we all for getting into these slanging matches over football. I for one don't need it, and if it continues then I'll probably just f*ck off again and let the site degenerate into the **** we had before. Seriously, take a look at this thread and some of the self-righteous w@nkers on it and decide for yourself. Seemingly we're not happy unless we're b!tching at each other and it's so utterly pathetic.

Edited by Minty

Do you seriously think that anything different would have happened had Crouch still been in charge. I don't think that a lot of people have fully grasped yet that it is the bank that is calling the shots.

Absolutely unbelievable. I am livid.

So, Safri gone. Now they've sold the last remaining player of noticable talent (not wishing to insult the other players but these 2 were the difference to our squad imho, bar Killer). In the alleged Andy Davies sale, we have lost our best player and the board have gone against all they have stated - keeping young, hungry, talented players. He was the epitome of committment and hunger, the untruthful words the board mentioned "the club were so keen to keep and develop". We all know their words are meaningless. They should just not speak, then we'd know they're not lying.

I am astounded but not totally surprised. Lowe's Lowe and any player who is saleable will be sold. We knew that but feared this decision was too ludicrous for even Wilde and Lowe to sanction. I just fail to understand why when we have no back up and what help 500k is when we could get so much more for Davies. Svensson is risky (great to see him back today, must admit) and Perry good for back up. Thomas is so so. From a weak area of the squad (defence - today showed how frail we are at FULL BACK POSITIONS as I have continuously bemoaned but nothing is done to rectify the situation, the opposite), why weaken it more, not even considering our terrible injury record and our physio who seems to lay players off twice as long as many clubs.

Ridiculous decision to sell and terrible timing. Cynical but astute (I feel) with the timing. Season tickets sold, season starts, (they've known he was going for ages, hence no appearances. Let us not forget, he only fractured a cheeky bone, not muscular injury), no friendlies for Davies, Davies SOLD. Unreal!! Massive risk on Svensson and a ludicrous gamble. Least they learnt from Delgado, esq. (Don't gamble on injury risk players)

I am very concerened how the OS states Poortvliet didn't know about it which, again, brings up that worrying thought - who is meddling with affairs and transfers and WHY does the head coach NOT KNOW player transfer movements?! (esp. of his best players) If all is true. I suspect it is. Is Jan that laid back a yes man to not be concerned?! Has Lowe got some incriminating photos of Jan?! I don't understand how the management have this hold over Poortvliet or why he is happy to accept this treatment. I would be fuming and the fact that he is not (in the press anyway) reacting worries me greatly.

The attendance wasn't great today and the camel's back has probably been broken several times with our shambolic club management but this will certainly add to the St Mary's gloom and discontent which (sorry to say) will inevtiably envelop our sorry club. What a joke!

We could have got 4-5 million (more in the future as he's only 23) for Andrew as he's a quality defender, strong, committed, strong in the air and a leader (something we have lacked for too long) in defence and they are hard to come by, especially in the Championhip. I do hope the management realise the damage to the club this move has caused and the huge implications and expected aftermath. They obviously don't give a sh*t about the general fans, that much is clear. 1.5 Million for our best player is a scandal. I thought money was a problem so why are we selling the family silver for the first derisory offer that comes along!?!

SHOCKING!! My pre-season optimism lasted until....today. I enjoyed some of our passing and movement today. Was a joy on occasions and we missed some good chances. Although, I disagree with Jan in that I thought we passed better first half, not second. Also, second half we showed our lack of experience, tiredness and didn't seem to have a centre forward (or no-one in position) or any attacking prowess which seemed crazy seeing as we were losing. We have strikers yet none on the bench. CRAZY! That final third thing again. We passed flank to flank, had huge holes in the middle of the park and lost it more often second half and seemed to get terrorised in the full back positions (esp. against Surman who may have been figured out now - not a defender, slow and not a natural ball winner). Not being smug but expected really, when you consider we desperately NEEDED FULL BACKS, are critically short in defence and have now, apparently, sold our best defender (bar Svensson which wasn't planned anyway). We need more experience and battling, ball winners who aren't out-muscled. We will improve but we don't have time to gamble, but we knew this already. I was pleased with the passing and movement in stages but we did confirm my reservations today, we are too young and inexperienced and frequently out-muscled and pushed off the ball.

We need a takeover as this management team will finish our club off. Shambolic decision to sell Davies and the final 2 fingers to the fans imho.

Very, VERY disappointed!

I think what a few people are missing here is that it isn't just losing a player it is losing a massive chunk of our already thin defence. Svensson cant play every game and when we get those weeks were there are 3 games he could maybe only play one. It is likely he will get injured at somepoint then we are left with just Perry. This season we were always going to struggle for goals but if we start shipping loads of goals too then we really will be up against it. If this happens and is for the numbers quoted i would assume things must be really bad and that nothing has actually changed financial wise sine Wilde and Lowe returned.

Very disapointed indeed about this one.

Just imagine if we had not bought those share's back when Lowe was last in charge we may have bought a proper centre half to replace Killer or allowed David Moyes to appoint his own asistant?

Cut our cloth - what rubbish - Lowe got us into this mess & he is only interested in defending what little shares he has acquired as chairman.

One thing is for sure. I will be studying our accounts with great vigour when they are available. How much is Lowe & Cowen taking out?

Regardless of possible release clauses etc this really is depressing. Oh wait a minute, If the sale is enforced by such a clause and we wouldn't have sold if the clause didn't exist then we'll no doubt be spending all the money on a replacement(s), so its not that bad after all. :-({|=

I agree with the disappointment and a lot of your points but

Absolutely unbelievable. I am livid.

So, Safri gone. Now they've sold the last remaining player of noticable talent (not wishing to insult the other players but these 2 were the difference to our squad imho, bar Killer). In the alleged Andy Davies sale, we have lost our best player and the board have gone against all they have stated - keeping young, hungry, talented players. He was the epitome of committment and hunger, the untruthful words the board mentioned "the club were so keen to keep and develop". We all know their words are meaningless. They should just not speak, then we'd know they're not lying.

I am astounded but not totally surprised. Lowe's Lowe and any player who is saleable will be sold. We knew that but feared this decision was too ludicrous for even Wilde and Lowe to sanction. I just fail to understand why when we have no back up and what help 500k is when we could get so much more for Davies. Svensson is risky (great to see him back today, must admit) and Perry good for back up. Thomas is so so. From a weak area of the squad (defence - today showed how frail we are at FULL BACK POSITIONS as I have continuously bemoaned but nothing is done to rectify the situation, the opposite), why weaken it more, not even considering our terrible injury record and our physio who seems to lay players off twice as long as many clubs.

Ridiculous decision to sell and terrible timing. this is the busiest time for transfers for all clubsCynical but astute (I feel) with the timing. Season tickets sold, season starts, (they've known he was going for ages, hence no appearances. Let us not forget, he only fractured a cheeky bone, not muscular injury), no friendlies for Davies, Davies SOLD. Unreal!! Massive risk on Svensson and a ludicrous gamble. Least they learnt from Delgado, esq. (Don't gamble on injury risk players)

I am very concerened how the OS states Poortvliet didn't know about it which, again, brings up that worrying thought - who is meddling with affairs and transfers and WHY does the head coach NOT KNOW player transfer movements?! (esp. of his best players) If all is true. I suspect it is. Is Jan that laid back a yes man to not be concerned?! Has Lowe got some incriminating photos of Jan?! I don't understand how the management have this hold over Poortvliet or why he is happy to accept this treatment. I would be fuming and the fact that he is not (in the press anyway) reacting worries me greatly.

The attendance wasn't great today and the camel's back has probably been broken several times with our shambolic club management but this will certainly add to the St Mary's gloom and discontent which (sorry to say) will inevtiably envelop our sorry club. What a joke!

We could have got 4-5 million why did we get him for £1m only a handful of games ago from a premiesrship team? We are a cash strpped CCC team -don't think we were likely to get more(more in the future as he's only 23) for Andrew as he's a quality defender, strong, committed, strong in the air and a leader (something we have lacked for too long) in defence and they are hard to come by, especially in the Championhip. I do hope the management realise the damage to the club this move has caused and the huge implications and expected aftermath. They obviously don't give a sh*t about the general fans, that much is clear. 1.5 Million for our best player is a scandal. I thought money was a problem so why are we selling the family silver for the first derisory offer that comes along!?!

SHOCKING!! My pre-season optimism lasted until....today. I enjoyed some of our passing and movement today. Was a joy on occasions and we missed some good chances. Although, I disagree with Jan in that I thought we passed better first half, not second. Also, second half we showed our lack of experience, tiredness and didn't seem to have a centre forward (or no-one in position) or any attacking prowess which seemed crazy seeing as we were losing. We have strikers yet none on the bench. CRAZY! That final third thing again. We passed flank to flank, had huge holes in the middle of the park and lost it more often second half and seemed to get terrorised in the full back positions (esp. against Surman who may have been figured out now - not a defender, slow and not a natural ball winner). Not being smug but expected really, when you consider we desperately NEEDED FULL BACKS, are critically short in defence and have now, apparently, sold our best defender (bar Svensson which wasn't planned anyway). We need more experience and battling, ball winners who aren't out-muscled. We will improve but we don't have time to gamble, but we knew this already. I was pleased with the passing and movement in stages but we did confirm my reservations today, we are too young and inexperienced and frequently out-muscled and pushed off the ball.

We need a takeover as this management team will finish our club off. Shambolic decision to sell Davies and the final 2 fingers to the fans imho.

Very, VERY disappointed!

I'm gutted but what choice is there? We couldn't give Euell or Thomas away in a raffle, Skacel would rather sit in the stands and count his money than take a pay cut to play elsewhere, we couldn't actually persuade anyone to buy Rasiak or Saganowski and now it looks like Surman is on his way, too. I think the sheer scale of our up-sh1t-creekedness is finally becoming apparent and the more I think about those maniacs last year (Crouch & Burley) blowing our future on that bunch of overpaid over-30s who are worse than valueless and we are still lumbered with, the angrier I become. But I am a true supporter & I will keep going to support them come what may, not sit at home dreaming of some 'investment' that may save us whilst failing the club you supposedely support when their need is greatest.

If there is a clause in his contract stating we have to let him talk to Prem clubs then what can anyone do about it? Except blame the muppets who negotiated that clause in the first place!

This will be a big blow but hopefully we can get 1 or 2 other players in on the back of it. An experienced striker who can play on his own up front and an experienced CB and we should be fine.

i spoke to davies' brother a couple of weeks ago in town and he told me that rupes was trying to flog andrew off even though he is happy here! well done rupes its gonna be a long hard season

Perhaps we simply can't afford him, or the next installment on his transfer fee?

I'm hoping this is part of a bigger plan - eg getting some other cheaper option as cover. But I doubt it. Not only do we look short up front - we now look very short in the defensive dept. It looks to me that we won't outscore or out defend the opposition this season and that does not bode well.

Fruckin joke if we sell IMO one of our best players.

I can bear shifting (or trying to shift) the likes of Gregorz, Saga, Euell, Skacel et al but when it comes to 'young players' who fit the bill of what JP is trying to build, it beggers belief.

We cannot rely on Thomas, Svenson and Perry as our CB's this year. While solid, there is no pace and injury problems will cause major issues.

2 games, 2 hurtful defeats, 1 player pretty much gone (Davies) another rumoured to be going (Surman).

Frucking sheet

Below pasted from os,

Poortvliet was asked about rumours linking defender Andrew Davies with a move to Stoke and said: "I have heard the rumours but I am not sure exactly what is happening there.

"I have not chance to see him play yet so I don't know too much about him but I think he may have spoken to them but I am not sure

Does that not tell everyone what is going on here and who is calling shots on the playing side.

We all undertand we have to sell players but not to tell the head coach...

bit of joke really and for £1.3m..dear oh dear!!!

What concerns me is I doubt Rupert Lowe knows that much about AD's playing abilities, having hardly seen him play. Could it be that it appears his fee is not realistic? As JP is not calling the shots here we could have a case of Rupert Lowe dropping a clanger. If we need to sell so be it but's lets get a proper fee.

Such a shame to see him go. But if he doesnt want to play for us then its probably better he goes. I thought he was a bit injury prone anyway. On the bright side of things, he played 25 odd games for us. That is nothing really and even then he didnt play in our last few games, in which we managed to survive on.

What concerns me is I doubt Rupert Lowe knows that much about AD's playing abilities, having hardly seen him play. Could it be that it appears his fee is not realistic? As JP is not calling the shots here we could have a case of Rupert Lowe dropping a clanger. If we need to sell so be it but's lets get a proper fee.

It would seem we are getting more than we paid for him, despite his poor injury record.

It would seem we are getting more than we paid for him, despite his poor injury record.

How do you assess what a player is worth ? it all just a matter of market forces and footballing opinion at the end of the day . In my opinion Andrew Davies is a much better footballer than our previous player of the season ( Chris Baird ) - and we got over £3m for him .

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

If there is a clause in his contract stating we have to let him talk to Prem clubs then what can anyone do about it? Except blame the muppets who negotiated that clause in the first place!

This will be a big blow but hopefully we can get 1 or 2 other players in on the back of it. An experienced striker who can play on his own up front and an experienced CB and we should be fine.

He said there was a clause, you?

ok...why dont our share holders stump up 1.5 mill and just keep davies. Theyve hardly put a penny into our club. I cant start thread - if someone could do the honours.

Was thinking of starting one, questioning where Wilde's £2million investment went, or whether Lowe and Cowen might want to return their portion of the £563,000 termination payments last time round.

I decided it would probably degenerate into a pointless slagging match though so I will hold off for now!

If we get only the mooted £1.3m, you can forget any prospect of getting players on the back of it.

There is an interesting article on the OS Site

As described above.

Nothing is as straight forward as we think.

I think the decision to buy Davies and pay him large wages may have been wrong

Edited by John B

more a case of career going no-where, couple of dozen decent games in CCC gives opportunity to move on and get premiership football.

People need to remember how few games he played for us, and some were not that impressed after the first two.

I think him and Svensson would have been the best pairing in this division and particularly as young player very sad but where we are

more a case of career going no-where, couple of dozen decent games in CCC gives opportunity to move on and get premiership football.

People need to remember how few games he played for us, and some were not that impressed after the first two.

I think him and Svensson would have been the best pairing in this division and particularly as young player very sad but where we are

Really?

I can`t remember a bad word said against him.

The club wanted rid and any clarification now is to save face. The coach did not know and has had the rug pulled from under his feet by the team Manager

who hopefully told the Football Chairman or not . I was starting to hope that JP was building the team he wanted and Davies was going to be a very useful addition almost like a massive signing to lift the team.

All we get with every sale is WE HAVE TO. ORLY.

The club wanted rid and any clarification now is to save face. The coach did not know and has had the rug pulled from under his feet by the team Manager

who hopefully told the Football Chairman or not . I was starting to hope that JP was building the team he wanted and Davies was going to be a very useful addition almost like a massive signing to lift the team.

Why can you not accept what Jan says at face value seems a very likely explanation to me.

Agents would always want their clients to move

He has never seen Davies Play

Really?

I can`t remember a bad word said against him.

don't get me wrong not for a moment slagging him off, think he will be a top player -think first two games he came on as sub and first full game some weren't convinced.

but remember it was what 20 games?

I asked the football chairman about Davies before the game and at first he

said "i don`t know anything about it" and i said "Rupert has just told my friend over there"

I then said "i thought you were the football chairman?"

He was a little embaressed and could not get away fast enough.

As he was leaving i said "who`s next then?"

He said "i can`t comment on transfers"...then scuttled off

If he can`t comment on transfers,who can?

If this does not show Lowe is running everything..lock, stock and barrel

then i don`t know what does.

Mr Wilde you are just being used.

don't get me wrong not for a moment slagging him off, think he will be a top player -think first two games he came on as sub and first full game some weren't convinced.

The guy is quality...

A player with youth,skill and bags of commitment,just the atributes we all craved for and someone i thought would fit into the so called "new" set up.

Now it seems we are going to sell him on the cheap..:mad:

Players like him put bums on seats.

we would never get much more than we paid for him

1) bought from premiership

2) played 20 odd games in CCC -well enough to be player of seasom

3) going from desperate for cash CCC to premiership club

His value would not have risen much (

I get what your saying Nickh but i think we have to be honest here rather then try and run damage control as such. He came here on loan 1st and went straight into the side which he was motm. He then played really well helping to stop our defensive rot we were in. We then took up the option to sign him when we had no money. He went on to be 1 of only 2 players to really do well last season winning the player of the year award (other being John).

I see nothing in his personality that would make me think he is the type of player who would demand a move or anything like that, on the contrary he has made many comments about wanting to play here for a longtime and even looked dead cert to be club captain.

Obviously when it happens the OS will put the usual "we couldn't stand in his way of playing Premiership football" like we have seen so many times. Which translated probably means "£1.5m or about £1m depending on sell on clause was too good to turn down!".

So where you say 20 games that doesn't make much sense to me because in those 20 games he was majority of the time our best player....

Why can you not accept what Jan says at face value seems a very likely explanation to me.

Agents would always want their clients to move

He has never seen Davies Play

His first quote or the very muddled clarification? Don't worry, I am a true fan and have no axe to grind with any of these Directors.

I was disappointed when Pearson went, when Woggy went and no doubt more disappointment TO COME from my daughter when Surman goes. I will even get over it when Davies goes but please do not try to tell me that our coach knows what is going on around him as I believe he was totally in the dark which is very worrying.

No argument with any of my fellow posters just my opinion about the state of our club.

My opinion and all that. I still live in hope.