The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

You get that most of that net migration is students, a huge proportion in fact and that is welcomed by this country and our universities, in fact it's massive for the economy.

Then there are all the actual visas given out, by our government by the way. Hundreds of thousands of people are basically invited in. 

I mean if it's such a problem and we are overflowing with people, no space, blah blah all your other dumb arguments then why when we have full control now over non-EU and EU immigration has immigration GONE UP since Brexit and the end of EU freedom of movement?, and why are giving so many visas to people exactly?

Also if it's half a million or more people that we are welcoming with open arms by the way, then why are a particular 30-40k such a problem?  These people are apparently a tipping point now are they? the 450k others oh those are fine, but the ones coming on boats it's suddenly 'OMG there is no space' and all these other silly excuses.

I wonder why.

'We take less because we are a much smaller country so it's not nonsense at all'

Land mass or space is a pretty irrelevant argument overall, but if you want to go with it then how come Italy took in more than us, despite having a similar land mass? 

Austria is about 1/3rd the size of the UK (and a lot of its mountains) yet it had 38k people applying for asylum in 2021, which is only 10k less than the UK had.

Germany had 190k people applying for asylum in 2021, almost four times what we did, but Germany isn't four times bigger than us, it's not even twice the size. 

So yes it's a nonsense argument. There are a displaced people in the world, there are refugees fleeing all sorts of things, many from countries that we had a role in fucking up, yet we take in far far less than our fair share. Which makes the whole fuss and all the absurd language about it completely dumb, it's a completely overblown problem. 

'Yes they have a right to apply for asylum, that is very different to travelling over on dinghies.'

No it isn't. 

They have a right to apply for asylum in this country and if safe and legal routes do no exist to then people crossing on dinghies have that right and in fact around 90% do then apply for asylum.

And aside from those coming from Albania, which has around 25% asylum approval rate, all the other countries have around 80-90% asylum application success rates, which means in basic terms around 65% of those crossing the channel in the boats are genuine refugees who get given asylum to stay in the UK. 

Also just on Albania -

"Since 2014, UK Governments have also agreed eight bilateral agreements with the Albanian Government relating
to migration issues. This includes an agreement for the readmission of respective citizens of the two countries.
Despite being agreed on 8 July 2021, this agreement does not appear to have come into force. If it did, it could in
theory allow the UK Government to more quickly return Albanians who arrive via small boats"

So we have an agreement to quickly process Albanian asylum applications and send back to Albania any that don't get asylum granted, which would be around 75% based on previous figures, yet we are not doing it, many of them are sat at tax payers expense in migrant centres and hotels.  People harping on about 'Economic migrants', well they are mainly the Albanians, and we can already quickly deport them, yet the government isn't doing it. 

So the solution for those people is already there. 

'Then we need to re-draft it or rip it up altogether as it's not working in this day and age. The rights of foreigners should always be second to those of the people living here.'

Not working according to how exactly? You.  It works fine, as the statistics above show, people come here as genuine refugees, and the vast majority are granted asylum. Over 65% of those coming across in the boats in 2021 got their asylum applications approved, and considering a large proportion of the others are Albanians who we could quickly deport but aren't, I think it's pretty clear what is not working. 

What is not working is the laws preventing them coming here safely and legally, there are no safe routes of passage for most of them.

As an example no Ukrainians are recorded as crossing the channel in 2022, yet over 219,000 visas have been granted to Ukrainian citizens to stay in the UK. So hundreds of thousands have come here and have wanted to come here (and many of them would have come through multiple other European countries on the way, I see no one is asking why the Ukrainians didn't stay in Poland or Germany or France etc. etc).

So why didn't the Ukrainians come on the the small boats? Why, well it is obvious why, they have safe routes of passage into the country to apply for asylum so of course they did that.

So no the laws on refugees do not need change, they have worked for last 70 years as laws of compassion and humanity for suffering displaced people. What needs to change is the routes to apply for asylum so they don't need the boats. 

And yeh using a anecdotal really shows you have a well thought out argument....

I mean there are no British people who stab others are there, no, and stereotyping a whole group of people on the actions of a handful that is perfectly fine, cos all football fans are hooligans right?  

I saw this eloquently explained the other day.

If you are forced out from your home, your country, your people, your family, friends, possibly suffered trauma or injury or persecution, basically having very little choice in your life. Instead of people doing the compassionate, empathetic human response of 'Oh that is terrible, of course you can come here and start a new life in safety', people want to take away the only choice those people have left, i.e. what country they restart their life in. 

So no I do not think that is understandable to question that. 

You'd think someone calling some else a 'thickhead' wouldn't be so much a simpleton to not realise the 'land argument' wasn't made by me, I was just responding to it. I'd already said it was a dumb argument.

You'd also think someone who wasn't a simpleton would realise that infrastructure building, house building etc. is actually a huge net gain to the economy

Dumbass. 

Of course it’s not a gain. I was correct in my assessment.

14 hours ago, tajjuk said:

And yeh using a anecdotal really shows you have a well thought out argument....

I mean there are no British people who stab others are there, no, and stereotyping a whole group of people on the actions of a handful that is perfectly fine, cos all football fans are hooligans right?  

I always find this argument hilarious, that just because we have criminals already resident in this country we should have no problem importing them from elsewhere. If it were possible I'd deport the British born scumbags as well but of course that's not an option. That was just one recent and locally relevant example, not to mention the Albanian drug dealers or migrants breaking into homes in Dover etc and that's just ones we know about. Point is we have no idea who is rocking up on these boats, everyone should be strictly vetted before they are allowed into the country. It's madness that this is even considered controversial.

Your other points just highlight how this government despite having more power since Brexit, as well as all previous governments have utterly failed the British public in controlling both legal and illegal immigration numbers.

Those ruddy Germans again.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21681305/german-government-consider-rwanda-style-migrant-deal-refugees/

But senior German politician Joachim Stamp said Berlin should consider a similar plan.

Deporting migrants to countries in North Africa might be the only way for Europe to cope with the migration crisis, he added.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21681305/german-government-consider-rwanda-style-migrant-deal-refugees/

But senior German politician Joachim Stamp said Berlin should consider a similar plan.

Deporting migrants to countries in North Africa might be the only way for Europe to cope with the migration crisis, he added.

It reminds me of Britain in the 2020’s 

• Haha 1

The point is that discussing migration - as long as economic migration and asylum are not conflated - is not in itself racist or bigoted. Suella Braverman is not talking about it sensibly whatsoever, and the language used by her has already been rebuked by Holocaust survivors and their families. Terms such as ‘invasion’ have no rational place in public discourse and certainly not in senior ministerial roles as such as Home Secretary. Change the Home Secretary and Sunak will find this settles down a bit. She’s also been sacked once for leaking dangerous material risking state security so she’s as big a risk to this country and all of us as anyone on the actual boats. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Stamp is a leading figure of the FDP just fact checking what you are posting. He’s special commissioner for Germany on migration but does have an ideological stance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Democratic_Party_(Germany)

Doesn't make it racist to have the discussion and at least he isn’t moronically spouting about how he dreams of planes and ferries carrying asylum seekers to Africa (Braverman). That’s why a debate can be had in Germany.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

The point is that discussing migration - as long as economic migration and asylum are not conflated - is not in itself racist or bigoted. Suella Braverman is not talking about it sensibly whatsoever, and the language used by her has already been rebuked by Holocaust survivors and their families. Terms such as ‘invasion’ have no rational place in public discourse and certainly not in senior ministerial roles as such as Home Secretary. Change the Home Secretary and Sunak will find this settles down a bit. She’s also been sacked once for leaking dangerous material risking state security so she’s as big a risk to this country and all of us as anyone on the actual boats. 

Up to 50k people turning up on our beaches uninvited and unannounced, is an invasion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Up to 50k people turning up on our beaches uninvited and unannounced, is an invasion.

How successful do you think a true "invasion" would be if it only landed less than 1000 troops per week ?

It has been deliberately used as an imflammatory term.

Edited by badgerx16
Thousand not hundred, doh !
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

How successful do you think a true "invasion" would be if it only landed less than 100 troops per week ?

It has been deliberately used as an imflammatory term.

But according to Leaky Sue there are "billions" wanting to come over.

With all those people in the country it is going to be difficult to get a ticket at SMS.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

But the over 200k from Ukraine, that's apparently not an 'invasion' ?

65% of the people crossing in boats in 2021 had their asylum applications approved, I don't know of any 'invasion' in history where the invaders, that are apparently 'hostile', were then welcomed to stay.

Also as Badgers says what invasion landed less than a thousand people a week and also 'attacked' with women and children on rubber dinghies.  D-Day involved nearly half a million combat service personnel, on around 7k ships, with hundreds of tanks and nearly 3k aircraft, all landing within about 48 hours. THAT is an invasion ffs. 

I also find it hilarious that grown men are shit scared of men, women and children from Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan etc. arriving with nothing pretty much but their clothes on their backs on rubber dinghies. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 5

On 12/03/2023 at 13:21, LuckyNumber7 said:

On 12/03/2023 at 13:21, LuckyNumber7 said:

George Osborne doesn’t agree by the looks. Did hear that he got fed up with May obsessing about it https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/george-osborne-says-some-language-used-by-tories-on-immigration-unacceptable_uk_640defcfe4b068bd7754573e

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

George Osborne doesn’t agree by the looks. Did hear that he got fed up with May obsessing about it https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/george-osborne-says-some-language-used-by-tories-on-immigration-unacceptable_uk_640defcfe4b068bd7754573e

He’s a corrupt, lying former Tory, why would you believe anything he says?

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’s a corrupt, lying former Tory, why would you believe anything he says?

Preferred him to Cameron and May, think austerity would have been worse without him and Cable around. Remainer as well. Not sure I’d put him in Clarke or Heseltine’s league of Tories I’d have voted for but would happily swap him for the absolute shower we’ve had since 2019.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Preferred him to Cameron and May, think austerity would have been worse without him and Cable around. Remainer as well. Not sure I’d put him in Clarke or Heseltine’s league of Tories I’d have voted for but would happily swap him for the absolute shower we’ve had since 2019.

So we believe some tories but not all of them? 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

So we believe some tories but not all of them? 

There’s another https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/former-tory-immigration-minister-says-she-cant-support-sunaks-asylum-crackdown_uk_640e1dcce4b0d15457b67f43

I agree with parties and politicians issue by issue. As a Liberal Democrat voter I didn’t agree with Swinson’s position in the 2019 election either. I’ll never agree with Braverman because she can’t behave like an adult. Labour got it politically wrong with the A8 countries accession bill - France and Germany didn’t allow people to work there until 2011 - which helped Griffin and Farage build platforms in the first place. Economically very good for the country but misjudged politically.

Edited by saint1977
Swinson, not Swindon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

There’s another https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/former-tory-immigration-minister-says-she-cant-support-sunaks-asylum-crackdown_uk_640e1dcce4b0d15457b67f43

I agree with parties and politicians issue by issue. As a Liberal Democrat voter I didn’t agree with Swindon’s position in the 2019 election either. I’ll never agree with Braverman because she can’t behave like an adult. Labour got it politically wrong with the A8 countries accession bill - France and Germany didn’t allow people to work there until 2011 - which helped Griffin and Farage build platforms in the first place. Economically very good for the country but misjudged politically.

You do realise this view is going to go down very badly on here. There is no room for that sort of measured attitude when it comes to the Tories!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

Everyone should be judged by their actions and words sadly it’s not hard to find huge swathes of the current government fail that judgement!

Agreed, totally. This is undoubtedly the worst government in most peoples living memory. However in day to day life there is also a large element of personal responsibility for day to day affairs. in my day to day life I don’t walk round with a huge cloud over me blaming them for everything and thinking my life would be so much better if labour was in power like some seem too do. for example we’ve had someone on here blaming the government because they’ve got debts up to their eyeballs and got turned down for another loan. That’s isn’t the governments fault, it’s their own.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Agreed, totally. This is undoubtedly the worst government in most peoples living memory. However in day to day life there is also a large element of personal responsibility for day to day affairs. in my day to day life I don’t walk round with a huge cloud over me blaming them for everything and thinking my life would be so much better if labour was in power like some seem too do. for example we’ve had someone on here blaming the government because they’ve got debts up to their eyeballs and got turned down for another loan. That’s isn’t the governments fault, it’s their own.

If you are referring to me, yet again you post without having a clue what you are talking about. Our financial issues and the problems we have experienced in trying to deal with them have a direct correlation to Government policies and their effects on personal finances.

As for lives being better if this Government were no longer in power, I think the majority of of people believe that to be the case. As for you, why should you worry, you seem to have found a job where you can troll people all day long  on the internet and get paid for it. Well done.

I also think that I have made it abundantly clear that the problems I have with this Government relate to the problems they are causing for normal, everyday people, not just us. I appreciate though that as someone whose world revolves around himself and who spends his time  stalking others in order to belittle them on social media, that concept is probably alien to you.

Edited by sadoldgit
Add text
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

If you are referring to me, yet again you post without having a clue what you are talking about. Our financial issues and the problems we have experienced in trying to deal with them have a direct correlation to Government policies and their effects on personal finances.

As for lives being better if this Government were no longer in power, I think the majority of of people believe that to be the case. As for you, why should you worry, you seem to have found a job where you can troll people all day long  on the internet and get paid for it. Well done.

Did you forget you've got me on ignore again?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

I also think that I have made it abundantly clear that the problems I have with this Government relate to the problems they are causing for normal, everyday people, not just us. I appreciate though that as someone whose world revolves around himself and who spends his time  stalking others in order to belittle them on social media, that concept is probably alien to you.

The country would have been in a far worse state had we locked down stronger, harder, longer, tougher.....which you wanted/demanded 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The country would have been in a far worse state had we locked down stronger, harder, longer, tougher.....which you wanted/demanded 

The death toll would have been higher, but then that doesn’t worry you does it? Oh, and when you get likes from the resident knee jerk reactionary, you know you are talking cobblers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The death toll would have been higher, but then that doesn’t worry you does it? Oh, and when you get likes from the resident knee jerk reactionary, you know you are talking cobblers.

We don’t know that for sure, one way or the other, because we only tried one way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We don’t know that for sure, one way or the other, because we only tried one way. 

Some people were rubbing their hands together when omicron hit the headlines, more lockdowns, more time at home, more free money. As some of us said at the time the scaremongering was off the scale and as per Matt Hancocks whatapps, that was exactly what they wanted to do. 

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Aren't you retired, living in your own home and claiming a pension?  If so, to reach that stage of life and have financial issues out of control would suggest the financial mismanagement is your cross to bear rather than one created by the Government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

So the financial pain now is worth it then? 

What are you whining about!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

So the financial pain now is worth it then? 

What are you whining about!

I’m not whining about anything. Someone else brought it up. Also, the financial mess we are in is not only due to Covid. Perhaps you have forgotten the farce under Truss or the decade of austerity that had nothing to do with a pandemic? By the way, I see you haven’t posted on the Eleanor Williams case. Strange you only post when Asians are found guilty of rape and are not remotely interested when they are vindicated. I guess it doesn’t fit in with your agenda.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

40 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Aren't you retired, living in your own home and claiming a pension?  If so, to reach that stage of life and have financial issues out of control would suggest the financial mismanagement is your cross to bear rather than one created by the Government.

This line is a beauty. Government causing problems for normal everyday people, "not just us" us being whom? Last time i checked i was a normal, everyday person, so are most people i know, they dont spend all their time moaning about the government. 

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This line is a beauty. Government causing problems for normal everyday people, "not just us" us being whom? Last time i checked i was a normal, everyday person, so are most people i know, they dont spend all their time moaning about the government. 

In "normal" life I find very few people moan about the government! The weather, yes, other people, for sure.

I guess if you live in a social media echo chamber like soggy, you're only ever going to be exposed to people moaning about the same things as you...

Maybe soggy would benefit from some fresh air - but then again, maybe not, as every time he leaves the house he manages to 'bump into' people who have exactly the same opinion as he does!

• Like 1

I’m not whining about anything. Someone else brought it up. Also, the financial mess we are in is not only due to Covid. Perhaps you have forgotten the farce under Truss or the decade of austerity that had nothing to do with a pandemic? By the way, I see you haven’t posted on the Eleanor Williams case. Strange you only post when Asians are found guilty of rape and are not remotely interested when they are vindicated. I guess it doesn’t fit in with your agenda.

You are and constantly do.  What ever the Government do, you want the opposite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

In "normal" life I find very few people moan about the government! The weather, yes, other people, for sure.

I guess if you live in a social media echo chamber like soggy, you're only ever going to be exposed to people moaning about the same things as you...

Maybe soggy would benefit from some fresh air - but then again, maybe not, as every time he leaves the house he manages to 'bump into' people who have exactly the same opinion as he does!

We are all different. Personally I don’t really get people who seem to want to pile on to SOG at every opportunity. Maybe they get some confidence in being in an online gang that they don’t get in other areas of their life?

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, whelk said:

We are all different. Personally I don’t really get people who seem to want to pile on to SOG at every opportunity. Maybe they get some confidence in being in an online gang that they don’t get in other areas of their life?

Lol. Who are you, Freud?

It's probably the same as a certain poster that always calls everyone else a thick cunt every time they run out of a sensible argument ;)

Besides, Soggy has publicly announced he has me on ignore, so it makes no difference what I write...

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Lol. Who are you, Freud?

It's probably the same as a certain poster that always calls everyone else a thick cunt every time they run out of a sensible argument ;)

Besides, Soggy has publicly announced he has me on ignore, so it makes no difference what I write...

You do realise I only call thick cunts thick cunts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Lol. Who are you, Freud?

Yes he’s repeatedly told me he’s got me ignore, some times he forgets though and replies to me, like today. 

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Brought it all on himself, I’ve no sympathy. He builds his part up like he’s some sort of voice of a generation using his logins on Southampton football forum sites to preach to all of us. Unfortunately he also regularly makes accusations and aggressive insults towards others then grizzle guts when he gets it back. He wasn’t even on my radar until the BLM stuff then started lying, calling everyone who didn’t agree with him Tommy Robinson fan boys and he’s got worse since then, regularly getting at people then plays the victim, done it for years across multiple saints forums. If you’re going to play with bull don’t cry when if you feel it’s horns. 

Edited by Turkish

12 hours ago, whelk said:

I actually think he likes it

he reminds me of an old, bitter, middle class version of a kid i saw on some prison documentary a few years ago. The kid was a serial criminal robbery, knife crime, etc when asked why he did it, his reply was dont blame me, blame society, blame the government. The attitude is exactly the same, everything is the fault of someone else, no personal responsibility for anything.

17 hours ago, whelk said:

To be fair, if it wasn’t me they would find someone else, as they often do. I think you are right. I expect that they were either school bullies or they were bullied at school, either way they feel a need to gravitate to others of the same ilk and find targets to attack. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves and gives them a feeling that they have some power in their lives.

There is also a complete lack of self awareness in this small group of posters. The poster you responded to accuses me of living in an echo chamber and needing to get out more yet he spends far much more time posting on here than I do everyday. Perhaps he should take some of his own advice instead of following another similar poster around looking for targets to have a pop at?

Another similar poster, let’s call him Batman, accused me yesterday of whining all the time. This coming from someone who spends all day every day trawling the internet to find things to whine about that suit his far right agenda  ( check out his avatar too, nice).

So “normal people” only talk about the weather? In my experience, when they have exhausted the weather, the latest episode of Line of Duty, whether the bins have been emptied or not - if you spend any length of time talking to them, will eventually get around to the main news of the day. So yes, when I go out, as I do occasionally, and meet other people, if we talk for any length of time, we will eventually talk about things like Brexit, the pandemic, Boris Johnson, the cost of living crisis, the latest Government cock up, strikes, Gary Lineker etc etc. Strangely enough, “normal people” do watch and listen to the news, read newspapers, read news items on their phones, form opinions and like to express those opinions to other “normal people” in real time. I know this happens outside of internet forums because I speak to “normal people” more than I post on internet forums. Sorry to disappoint you Weston. Now off you pop to check out who Turkish is having a go at today, you don’t want to miss out!

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

he reminds me of an old, bitter, middle class version of a kid i saw on some prison documentary a few years ago. The kid was a serial criminal robbery, knife crime, etc when asked why he did it, his reply was dont blame me, blame society, blame the government. The attitude is exactly the same, everything is the fault of someone else, no personal responsibility for anything.

I guess easy to have grudges on here but I genuinely have no issue with any posters and probably had disagreements with pretty much everyone at some point. Probably even used colourful insults as well. But even Weston and Batman I have no personal issues with them and glad they post even though will mainly disagree with them. 

So yes, when I go out, as I do occasionally, and meet other people, if we talk for any length of time, we will eventually talk about things like Brexit, the pandemic, Boris Johnson, the cost of living crisis, the latest Government cock up, strikes, Gary Lineker etc etc. 

I bet the Ale House empties out when you arrive. Fucking hell, you’d be banned from my local. 💤

1 hour ago, whelk said:

I guess easy to have grudges on here but I genuinely have no issue with any posters and probably had disagreements with pretty much everyone at some point. Probably even used colourful insults as well. But even Weston and Batman I have no personal issues with them and glad they post even though will mainly disagree with them. 

you'd be a pretty sad fuck if you did hold grudges on football forums. When Soggy treats me with respect and apologies for calling me all sorts of names completely unprovoked then i will treat him respectfully, same goes for a few others on here i could name. if you actually look back a few years you'll find i did do used too, right up to the time he started going on about being a Tommy Robinson, Katy Hopkins supporter because he denied there was any violence at the BLM protests.

Edited by Turkish