The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

39 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

🤣 great excuse.

The terrible thing is that nobody should be surprised in the slightest at the absolute weaponry going on daily in the Conservative Party. Incompetence, immorality and corruption have become the norm and we’ve got to wait another 18 months before the voting public get a chance to hold them to account for it.

We should be thankful that the House of Lords seems to have enough sensible politicians to call out the incompetence 

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I assume that you are referring to me?

If so, have you watched the excellent programme “Succession”? The lead character, Logan Roy, based very much on Rupert Murdoch, dismisses his overly entitled and completely deluded children as “not serious people”.

Bless - Soggy truly believes he is 'Logan Roy' campaigning agaist the injustices on an innernetz football forum.

Mad as a box of frogs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Bless - Soggy truly believes he is 'Logan Roy' campaigning agaist the injustices on an innernetz football forum.

Mad as a box of frogs.

He isn't campaigning against injustices. He is only campaigning for things that he believes are injustices and berating all others that disagree or have their own beliefs on what injustices are. He is a one way street. Agree with his views or you are racist, bigot, gammon etc. There are a few of them on here.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

He isn't campaigning against injustices. He is only campaigning for things that he believes are injustices and berating all others that disagree or have their own beliefs on what injustices are. He is a one way street. Agree with his views or you are racist, bigot, gammon etc. There are a few of them on here.

When you say campaigning against, is endlessly posting self righteously on a Southampton football forum campaigning? I’m not sure 

14 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Mad as a box of frogs.

You clearly are not a serious person 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I assume that you are referring to me?

If so, have you watched the excellent programme “Succession”? The lead character, Logan Roy, based very much on Rupert Murdoch, dismisses his overly entitled and completely deluded children as “not serious people”.

There are a small group of posters here who usually follow each other round and jump all over posters who dare to call out far right policies and agendas. Whether they are racists or not, who knows, but they tend to get very agitated if you call out anything remotely connected with far right thinking. They are not what you could call “serious people”.

Double standards? I am not sure what you mean by that. Where is a double standard in calling out Patel and Braverman for their appalling policies on migrants and asylum seekers? Where is the double standard in calling out those who criticise footballers who decided to do something to highlight racism in football? Where is the double standard in calling out the likes of Johnson and Farage for their lies and misinformation during the Brexit campaign? Where is the double standard in calling out people who hold views that are based on self interest and benefit a few rather than our society as a whole?

It is pointless bothering with this small group of people because they have no interest in having a serious discussion, they are mostly just on the wind up. They don’t read what you post and respond to what they think that you have posted according to their filters. One of them has already been kicked off of another forum for disruption and another has had two different identities here already, he must be due another one soon.

If you constantly post anything vaguely left of centre on a regular basis you can guarantee that the same names will respond, sometimes within seconds of you posting. Try mentioning the likes of Katie Hopkins, Tommy Robinson, Lawrence Fox or any other far right mouthpiece and it is like throwing chum into a tank filled with sharks. When you call them out for supporting the far right, they accuse you of calling them racist (if the cap fits…). In the same way, if you call out the Israeli foreign policy against the Palestinians on the West Bank they label you anti-Semitic. As I say, they are not “serious people”.

“It is high way or no way”. What does that even mean? Having read some of your other posts, I get the feeling that you are right at home with this small group of people.

For the record, of course people are entitled to hold far right views just as people are entitled to challenge them. Just don’t pretend that you (they) don’t hold those views.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Fuck me im not surprised your ex-missus used to spark you out 

20 hours ago, whelk said:

Comments like just because you suffered the holocaust doesn’t give you a free hit to persecute wasn’t his finest. 

Did I actually say that? I believe I said that if you have suffered persecution yourself, it doesn’t make it ok to persecute others. You seem to be straying into Weston territory here who seems to think that quoting a fictitious character is akin to actually being him. You can do better 😉

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Did I actually say that? I believe I said that if you have suffered persecution yourself, it doesn’t make it ok to persecute others. You seem to be straying into Weston territory here who seems to think that quoting a fictitious character is akin to actually being him. You can do better 😉

You are supporting the views that made Labour appear anti-Semitic. That isn’t determined by Corbyn or Abbot’s denials but 87% of Uk Jews perception Thankfully now appears purged by Starmer but you want to keep on your technical argument. Like with terrorism thread you counter with a very superficial argument thinking Netanyahu’s govt is bad as if everyone calling you out are staunch supporters of them.

Your need to pigeon hole people into a gang against you is a trend. Although I do appreciate you get a lot of grief from some regardless of what you post

Just noticed they have redrawn the constituency boundaries here so at the next election we won't come under Eastleigh and will instead be part of the new Hamble Valley constituency instead.

The Eastleigh MP Paul Holmes is standing in Hamble because it's seen as a safer seat while the Tories put up some geeky kid for outside the area as their preferred candidate for Eastleigh.

23 hours ago, whelk said:

You are supporting the views that made Labour appear anti-Semitic. That isn’t determined by Corbyn or Abbot’s denials but 87% of Uk Jews perception Thankfully now appears purged by Starmer but you want to keep on your technical argument. Like with terrorism thread you counter with a very superficial argument thinking Netanyahu’s govt is bad as if everyone calling you out are staunch supporters of them.

Your need to pigeon hole people into a gang against you is a trend. Although I do appreciate you get a lot of grief from some regardless of what you post

The reason I pigeon hole certain people into a gang against me is because virtually every time I post the same people respond, some of them almost immediately. Not surprisingly, they all pretty much have the same agenda.

As regards criticising the Israeli government’s policy towards the Palestinians, why is that anti-Semitic? As I keep saying, it is entirely possible to strongly disagree with a nation’s foreign policy without hating the people of that country. As you say, members of the Labour Party have been labelled as anti-Semitic because they support the Palestinians. It is a bit of a stretch to label everyone who supports the plight of the Palestinians living within the state of Israel with the same mindset as a rabid Nazi. Perhaps look further into the reasons why 87% of Jewish people in the UK support that view. They are hardly likely to support the Palestinian position are they? We need to move past this method of shutting down opposition towards what is happening on the West Bank. Instead of labelling people as anti- Semitic for supporting the Palestinians living within the boarders of Israel, perhaps we should refer to them as humanitarians? And before people start kicking off about the Arab terror groups, I don’t support their methods either.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, The Cat said:

Just noticed they have redrawn the constituency boundaries here so at the next election we won't come under Eastleigh and will instead be part of the new Hamble Valley constituency instead.

The Eastleigh MP Paul Holmes is standing in Hamble because it's seen as a safer seat while the Tories put up some geeky kid for outside the area as their preferred candidate for Eastleigh.

Yes it’s very frustrating that we’re stuck with Paul Holmes provided he wins as I believe he is a terrible MP. Pretty confident Lib Dem’s will win here though.  

18 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Yes it’s very frustrating that we’re stuck with Paul Holmes provided he wins as I believe he is a terrible MP. Pretty confident Lib Dem’s will win here though.  

Holmes comes across as very dull, barely ever notice him apart from the odd Twitter spat with Keith House. Not really sure what he contributes as an MP.

On 18/07/2023 at 16:44, sadoldgit said:

The reason I pigeon hole certain people into a gang against me is because virtually every time I post the same people respond, some of them almost immediately. Not surprisingly, they all pretty much have the same agenda.

As regards criticising the Israeli government’s policy towards the Palestinians, why is that anti-Semitic? As I keep saying, it is entirely possible to strongly disagree with a nation’s foreign policy without hating the people of that country. As you say, members of the Labour Party have been labelled as anti-Semitic because they support the Palestinians. It is a bit of a stretch to label everyone who supports the plight of the Palestinians living within the state of Israel with the same mindset as a rabid Nazi. Perhaps look further into the reasons why 87% of Jewish people in the UK support that view. They are hardly likely to support the Palestinian position are they? We need to move past this method of shutting down opposition towards what is happening on the West Bank. Instead of labelling people as anti- Semitic for supporting the Palestinians living within the boarders of Israel, perhaps we should refer to them as humanitarians? And before people start kicking off about the Arab terror groups, I don’t support their methods either.

Yet you seem to find it perfectly acceptable to label anyone with any form of right of centre view as Nazi, Bigot, Tommy Robinson supporter. Can you not see why people get at you? You are a complete hypocrite.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Does anyone here have any advice or experience in gaining work experience or an internship in politics? 

Did you go to Eton or Harrow, did you study PPE at Oxbridge ? Alternatively, for the other side of the House - are you a Trade Union activist ?

Edited by badgerx16

15 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Did you go to Eton or Harrow, did you study PPE at Oxbridge ? Alternatively, for the other side of the House - are you a Trade Union activist ?

No. It's a bit frustrating because last year I fell into a politics degree that although I enjoy it; it is basically worthless without interships / work experience of which there are barely any opportunities and local MPs don't help with this either. 

Also apologies for the (sort of) off topic post

Edited by SotonianWill

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

No. It's a bit frustrating because last year I fell into a politics degree that although I enjoy it; it is basically worthless without interships / work experience of which there are barely any opportunities and local MPs don't help with this either. 

Also apoligies for the (sort of) off topic post

My wife did Politics at Uni, decided that she was too ethical and honest to make that her career, so went into teaching.

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Oxford for PPE. That’s where the wasters and dreamers go. Cambridge is for the sensible and practical people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Does anyone here have any advice or experience in gaining work experience or an internship in politics? 

Probably working pro bono initially as a volunteer in one of the MPs local constituency offices depending on where you live, and that might open doors once you get established within a party leading onto not just working for an MP but perhaps becoming a party agent. I used to have a former Tory party candidate agent work for me and he was quite well networked. The Houses of Parliament do have jobs come up sometimes but the pay is risible after your rail and LU ST is accounted for.

On the left, the unions are still a way in.

Failing that, it depends on where you live because all of the parties struggle to attract councillor candidates in some areas and wards. You’d probably need to be active in a local association for a couple of years, help out as a teller on election nights and establish a reliable reputation for getting leaflets out for candidates. A couple of my friends are councillors, one in Soton, and a couple of MPs. You’ll often have to fight a couple of elections in wards which are harder to win to gain experience but if your face fits you’ll get a crack at a good one. Someone like Royston Smith, now the Soton Itchen MP IIRC, probably worked his way through like that.

When I was a student in the 1990s, clubs and societies were another way in, they frequently had current or ex Ministers visit (does this still happen?) and quite a few people from our year got networked into the system. The youth wings contingent on your age (can go up to 30 if a mature student, or used to) are another network opportunity although the people were not always the most pleasant. That may have changed over 25 years.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

On a less positive note, does anyone really care about Nigel fucking Farage’s bank account? No more than I do Corbyn’s, Nick Griffin’s or Len McClusky’s frankly. It’s been wall to wall with all the usual outlets and then Farage grizzling on Radio 4. He’s worth more than most people will ever accumulate and he can just use a normal business bank account like most of us who are either self-employed or a mix of employed and self-employed.

• Like 2

@sadoldgit said

“As I keep saying, it is entirely possible to strongly disagree with a nation’s foreign policy without hating the people of that country.”

Nice of you to join the rest of us, SoG. Why it seems just like Saturday, despite the “As I keep saying” that you couldn’t tell Jewish people apart from Israel.

SoG on Saturday: “but I assume when talking about Israeli policies or Jewish policies that they are the same thing.”

Oh, it was just Saturday. But well done for being able to separate them, at least for the present.

It’s been mentioned a few times, most recently by myself on Sunday and earlier today by SotonianWill, that you just can’t seem to help reverting to type. Whether it’s veering off into whatboutery or, in this case, persisting with anti-semitic tropes.

The latest example: “Perhaps look further into the reasons why 87% of Jewish people in the UK support that view.”

That’s in response to “You are supporting the views that made Labour appear anti-Semitic. That isn’t determined by Corbyn or Abbot’s denials but 87% of Uk Jews perception”

So it’s actually the fault of Jewish people (87% of them) that they feel that there was anti-semitism. The same party that got dragged, including Jeremy, into making more and more apologies.

So, any feelings of persecution felt by Jewish people is really their own fault?

I’ll just add that one to  

“Jewish people have done a better job with the label “antisemitic” as that, arguably, now carries more of a pejorative punch than “racist”.”

And

“Interesting that it has now distilled down to just an issue about Jewish people when she grouped together various other types who also face bigotry, discrimination and prejudice”

And

“…but there doesn’t seem to be such a backlash from the Irish, travellers or redheads.”

For all the talk of people ganging up on you, I’ve seen a number of posters just flagging this sort of behaviour.

It’s surprising to see someone who considers themselves a bastion of fighting oppression holding such views. It’s disappointing that you just don’t seem able to ever learn from what others are telling you. And it’s now at a stage where even the people you are trying to defend, would back away in horror from your views.

Once again, please consider the impact of your words, and the implications of what you are typing.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth, starring SoG, digging a deeper hole, one anti-semitic post at a time.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

You said it. Perception. Diane Abbot’s perception is that black people experience racism and white people don’t. Perception doesn’t make things real, it is just an opinion based on a particular filter.You would expect Jewish people to feel aggrieved if members of a political party were sympathetic towards the Palestinians wouldn’t you? As I have said many times, it doesn’t make those people anti-Semitic. You can throw the accusation about as much as you like but it only makes it true in your head. If you can’t see the difference between the prejudice shown against Jewish people under the Nazis in the 1930s and 40s and people supporting Palestinians now then there is no point in you responding to me or me you. I will say it one more time. It is perfectly possible to support the Palestinian cause without hating Jewish people and by calling those who do anti-Semitic is disingenuous and only serves to deflect, which is why it happens.

2 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

On a less positive note, does anyone really care about Nigel fucking Farage’s bank account? No more than I do Corbyn’s, Nick Griffin’s or Len McClusky’s frankly. It’s been wall to wall with all the usual outlets and then Farage grizzling on Radio 4. He’s worth more than most people will ever accumulate and he can just use a normal business bank account like most of us who are either self-employed or a mix of employed and self-employed.

Not so much because it’s Farage. But it is interesting to see how financial institutions consider their risks. And the changes of that risk environment.

Farage seems to have got the boot due to reputational risk. He’s not a sanctioned individual. Had he ongoing ties with sanctioned individuals, his accounts would have come under scrutiny at the point, either at the point of sanction or as part for ongoing sweeps. Likewise for his PEP status, which would be flagged on a regular basis.

Banks continue to do business with non-sanctioned companies with activities that have reputational risks. The banks are often investors in such activities. Likewise with non-sanctioned regimes and wealthy individuals. A number of those are vastly more profitable than Mr Farage. All are managed by risk teams and relationship/ wealth managers.  

One quote from Farage was “The most extraordinary comments of all are the areas of the report talking about me ‘not aligning with [Coutts’s] views’

So, do Coutts actually employ the same criteria to the rest of their client base?

Reputational risk may well have variables such as geographical location, profile etc.

A wealthy international client, with a low profile, performing legitimate transactions involving non sanctioned parties might be fine. Regardless of how horrible the human rights violations in the country happen to be.

A less wealthy Mr Farage, with a high domestic profile and contentious opinions in a much more liberal country, may simply be more trouble than he’s worth.

This one seems to have caught the bank out as lying. It may swing back the other way, if Farage’s evidence is fully released and assessed.

It seems that the decision has been “We think Mr Farage is a bit of a tit, does not bring us enough money to keep him on, and we consider his contentious views to be a potential risk to future income streams. We are cutting him loose.”

But the bank may have specific reasons. It’s interesting that he couldn’t get an account elsewhere, suggesting legitimate information sharing of some sort going on in the background.

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I will say it one more time. It is perfectly possible to support the Palestinian cause without hating Jewish people and by calling those who do anti-Semitic is disingenuous and only serves to deflect, which is why it happens.

Correct.

Why could you not have simply said that half a thread ago and left out all the 'Jewish policies' malarky ?

• Like 1

@Sadoldgit said:-

“It is perfectly possible to support the Palestinian cause without hating Jewish people.”

Well done. That’s two posts in a row since Saturday you’ve grasped this. You will find, if you look back, that no one has called you anti-semitic for holding that view. Try building an argument from that.

But even in this post, you just can’t help yourself.

“You would expect Jewish people to feel aggrieved if members of a political party were sympathetic towards the Palestinians wouldn’t you?”

It’s been pointed out to you on numerous occasions that Jewish people, like any other group, will have a range of views on Israeli policy. But, once again, you’ve just lumped all Jewish people into your stereotyping.

In the last post it was your feeling that 87% of people who felt that there was anti-semitism relating to labour, should all have a look at themselves.

You’ve even dug out your utterly debunked Abbott views again. Her views, if ever close to getting near policy, would delegitimise the valid concerns of numerous minorities, based on the hierarchy of racism she holds. But, and I’ve quoted you in the last couple of posts about this, you feel that it’s all the fault of Jewish people, who have all done a “better job with the label antisemitic'

“If you can’t see the difference between the prejudice shown against Jewish people under the Nazis in the 1930s and 40s and people supporting Palestinians now.”

I don't think this came out as you intended. Sadly, I think the point you were trying to make was that we should compare the holocaust with the treatment of people in Palestine. Now when the Palestinian president said that Israel had committed “50 holocausts”, his office had to very quickly back peddle stating “stressing that [The Palestinian President’s] answer was not intended to deny the singularity of the Holocaust that occurred in the last century, and condemning it in the strongest terms." So, that's a key member of that Palestian cause not supporting your views there.

But I’m sure you probably think the reaction to all that was all down to perception too, and that of course Jewish people would be outraged wouldn’t they? Even if the outrage was definitely not contained to Jewish people. Because you just can’t separate it out, for more than a couple of sentences, before letting us see your real, disturbing, views on it.

Keep digging that hole SoG.

2 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Probably working pro bono initially as a volunteer in one of the MPs local constituency offices depending on where you live, and that might open doors once you get established within a party leading onto not just working for an MP but perhaps becoming a party agent. I used to have a former Tory party candidate agent work for me and he was quite well networked. The Houses of Parliament do have jobs come up sometimes but the pay is risible after your rail and LU ST is accounted for.

On the left, the unions are still a way in.

Failing that, it depends on where you live because all of the parties struggle to attract councillor candidates in some areas and wards. You’d probably need to be active in a local association for a couple of years, help out as a teller on election nights and establish a reliable reputation for getting leaflets out for candidates. A couple of my friends are councillors, one in Soton, and a couple of MPs. You’ll often have to fight a couple of elections in wards which are harder to win to gain experience but if your face fits you’ll get a crack at a good one. Someone like Royston Smith, now the Soton Itchen MP IIRC, probably worked his way through like that.

When I was a student in the 1990s, clubs and societies were another way in, they frequently had current or ex Ministers visit (does this still happen?) and quite a few people from our year got networked into the system. The youth wings contingent on your age (can go up to 30 if a mature student, or used to) are another network opportunity although the people were not always the most pleasant. That may have changed over 25 years.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Yes, I still think the best way to work about it is the councillor route or I could potentially ask about opportunities at constituency office. I have asked my local MP at home if he has any work experience / internships over the summer, though that was 2 months ago and he never replied to my email. I only go to uni in Winchester so I have been to a few events, canvassed, handed out MP newsletters and been a teller at the local elections there. So overall on that front I still think the shadowing of an MP is a no go unless you fully know the MP of which I have no great connections with any. 

In terms of your question on MP meetings with society’s, that is still a thing but I think it depends on the size of said society and I see on twitter ministers only really go to the main universities. The only real way to meet them is through dinners organised by the main association. As for local MPs in my area, they are more likely to go to Barton Peveril college than to the universities. The political societies are very small compared to what i’m guessing it used to be like, and so youth wings are usually hard to set up, as we have found (although I hear the Southampton inner city youth wings of the tory party is going fairly strong). 

I’ve decided i’m going to try and complete an ACCA course in between my uni work to give me an alternative course of action either way. I don’t want to be an MP tbh as politics is very toxic as I have already found and the party overall has deselected people of my type of politics (they’re pushing further towards the right it seems), but a job in politics outside of full public scope would be decent for me.  

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Yes, I still think the best way to work about it is the councillor route or I could potentially ask about opportunities at constituency office. I have asked my local MP at home if he has any work experience / internships over the summer, though that was 2 months ago and he never replied to my email. I only go to uni in Winchester so I have been to a few events, canvassed, handed out MP newsletters and been a teller at the local elections there. So overall on that front I still think the shadowing of an MP is a no go unless you fully know the MP of which I have no great connections with any. 

In terms of your question on MP meetings with society’s, that is still a thing but I think it depends on the size of said society and I see on twitter ministers only really go to the main universities. The only real way to meet them is through dinners organised by the main association. As for local MPs in my area, they are more likely to go to Barton Peveril college than to the universities. The political societies are very small compared to what i’m guessing it used to be like, and so youth wings are usually hard to set up, as we have found (although I hear the Southampton inner city youth wings of the tory party is going fairly strong). 

I’ve decided i’m going to try and complete an ACCA course in between my uni work to give me an alternative course of action either way. I don’t want to be an MP tbh as politics is very toxic as I have already found and the party overall has deselected people of my type of politics (they’re pushing further towards the right it seems), but a job in politics outside of full public scope would be decent for me.  

Sounds like a good plan. National politics has become very toxic and my friends are looking to step out at the next GE, one of them hasn’t had any choice with their local association. It comes down to what inspires you to get engaged. Is it helping people solve problems, is it to enhance your or another locality, or is it an affinity with sets of ideas? You could gain exposure as a councillor on the first bit (although the surgeries and weekends require patience), and quite possibly the second as a cabinet member locally if your party wins power with a portfolio you enjoyed. The latter could be something that develops alongside your mainstream career as it grows. 

Friend of mine is still a councillor long-time in a safe ward, has a portfolio of a main job 3 days or so a week and another public-private community role which they love. Won’t make them rich but it’s tidy and it all ties into what they are passionate about without the parts clashing with each other. 

I’ve had a different, politics-independent civic engagement experience as a figurehead/ambassador by leading big projects and partnerships. Never took a penny piece out of it for myself, but wanted to enhance the quality of life in the area I lived in and did it on top of a paid job plus consultancy which was OK and good financially but wanted to move in a different direction by gaining different skills/experiences. Was brilliant and some experiences of a lifetime but 70 hour weeks combined, gave up going to SMS and playing golf as no time. It’s not politics per ze and I never wanted it to be, but I did work with all of that area’s main political actors. It might be another avenue for the future. 

3 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

It's a load of old bollocks. Coutts made a commercial decision based on the fact that Farage had paid off his mortgage with them. Being that he had been below their threshold for some time, the two things together meant they could make the decision to exit because he was not valuable to them any more, quite the opposite.

They risk assessed it, knew there might be negative publicity and did it anyway because the numbers didn't make keeping him worthwhile.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It's a load of old bollocks. Coutts made a commercial decision based on the fact that Farage had paid off his mortgage with them. Being that he had been below their threshold for some time, the two things together meant they could make the decision to exit because he was not valuable to them any more, quite the opposite.

They risk assessed it, knew there might be negative publicity and did it anyway because the numbers didn't make keeping him worthwhile.

Some would see it as positive publicity.

12 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

You said it. Perception. Diane Abbot’s perception is that black people experience racism and white people don’t. Perception doesn’t make things real, it is just an opinion based on a particular filter.You would expect Jewish people to feel aggrieved if members of a political party were sympathetic towards the Palestinians wouldn’t you? As I have said many times, it doesn’t make those people anti-Semitic. You can throw the accusation about as much as you like but it only makes it true in your head. If you can’t see the difference between the prejudice shown against Jewish people under the Nazis in the 1930s and 40s and people supporting Palestinians now then there is no point in you responding to me or me you. I will say it one more time. It is perfectly possible to support the Palestinian cause without hating Jewish people and by calling those who do anti-Semitic is disingenuous and only serves to deflect, which is why it happens.

I bet you describe the diary of Anne Frank and a comedy about a silly girl playing hide and seek didn’t you.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I bet you describe the diary of Anne Frank and a comedy about a silly girl playing hide and seek didn’t you.

So another exciting day starts on Saintsweb with Turkish given the honour of the opening salvo against Soggy. Turkish and the cunts versus Soggy threatens to last as long and be as attritional as Russia v Ukraine. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

So another exciting day starts on Saintsweb with Turkish given the honour of the opening salvo against Soggy. Turkish and the cunts versus Soggy threatens to last as long and be as attritional as Russia v Ukraine. 

6 minutes for you to jump on the post, wow 🤣

still think he’s a master wind up merchant laughing at us all by the way?

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

6 minutes for you to jump on the post, wow 🤣

still think he’s a master wind up merchant laughing at us all by the way?

To be honest I think you are all completely boring and seem to want to ruin every thread.

16 minutes to reply. Is that OK?

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

@Sadoldgit said:-

“It is perfectly possible to support the Palestinian cause without hating Jewish people.”

Well done. That’s two posts in a row since Saturday you’ve grasped this. You will find, if you look back, that no one has called you anti-semitic for holding that view. Try building an argument from that.

But even in this post, you just can’t help yourself.

“You would expect Jewish people to feel aggrieved if members of a political party were sympathetic towards the Palestinians wouldn’t you?”

It’s been pointed out to you on numerous occasions that Jewish people, like any other group, will have a range of views on Israeli policy. But, once again, you’ve just lumped all Jewish people into your stereotyping.

In the last post it was your feeling that 87% of people who felt that there was anti-semitism relating to labour, should all have a look at themselves.

You’ve even dug out your utterly debunked Abbott views again. Her views, if ever close to getting near policy, would delegitimise the valid concerns of numerous minorities, based on the hierarchy of racism she holds. But, and I’ve quoted you in the last couple of posts about this, you feel that it’s all the fault of Jewish people, who have all done a “better job with the label antisemitic'

“If you can’t see the difference between the prejudice shown against Jewish people under the Nazis in the 1930s and 40s and people supporting Palestinians now.”

I don't think this came out as you intended. Sadly, I think the point you were trying to make was that we should compare the holocaust with the treatment of people in Palestine. Now when the Palestinian president said that Israel had committed “50 holocausts”, his office had to very quickly back peddle stating “stressing that [The Palestinian President’s] answer was not intended to deny the singularity of the Holocaust that occurred in the last century, and condemning it in the strongest terms." So, that's a key member of that Palestian cause not supporting your views there.

But I’m sure you probably think the reaction to all that was all down to perception too, and that of course Jewish people would be outraged wouldn’t they? Even if the outrage was definitely not contained to Jewish people. Because you just can’t separate it out, for more than a couple of sentences, before letting us see your real, disturbing, views on it.

Keep digging that hole SoG.

This stuff ought to be on the Israel page and I posted this there earlier in the discussion, but in case you missed it here it is again. It puts the case about the use of the anti-semitism label as a weapon better than I do.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/opinions/2023/6/22/weaponisation-of-anti-semitism-is-bad-for-palestinians-and-jews

Back on topic, here’s hoping for a right royal pasting for the Tories in the by elections today. It would seem that the GE is Starmer’s to lose right now. His situation has been likened to carrying a Ming vase across an ice rink in the run up. You can see he is doing all he can to appeal to the floating voters and the disaffected Tory voters to the extent that there is currently little clear water between the two parties policy wise other than they f*cked it up, now it’s our turn.

It will be interesting to see the party manifestos when they are published as I doubt if there will be little in Labour’s that will frighten the horses. As Starmer says himself, he is laser focused on winning the election and, to that end, seems more concerned on gaining the trust of people who haven’t voted Labour for a while, probably at the expense of some old, hardened dyed in the wool Labour voters. 

The issue over child care is a case in point. It is clearly something you would expect Labour to reverse immediately but in order to show voters that there will be fiscal responsibility under Labour, Starmer has taken a very unpopular decision   not to reverse the policy for a time. In doing so he has weighed up the unpopularity that it will cause amongst his base support against new votes from elsewhere. On this one I think he is wrong. There are certain things you expect from a Labour government and helping children out of poverty is one of them. It just helps the argument that Starmer is a Tory in Labour clothing, which I don't believe that he is.

As for Farage, what a lot of fuss about nothing. Businesses are entitled to pick and choose who they do business with. Coutts is an apex business and the only surprising thing is that they did business with Farage at all given his reputation. I can only imagine they took him on before he was internationally recognised as a scumbag. NatWest is where he belongs, with the rest of us plebs 😉

Edited by sadoldgit
Typo

29 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

To be honest I think you are all completely boring and seem to want to ruin every thread.

16 minutes to reply. Is that OK?

No one is forcing you to read it. Do us all a favour and put us on ignore then.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

No one is forcing you to read it. Do us all a favour and put us on ignore then.

What??? You mean missing Piggy's pearls of wisdom? No way.

If I put Batman on ignore how would I ever be aware of all those chicks with dicks and what the Twittersphere is saying? Life wouldn't be worth living. 😁😁😁

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

What??? You mean missing Piggy's pearls of wisdom? No way.

If I put Batman on ignore how would I ever be aware of all those chicks with dicks and what the Twittersphere is saying? Life wouldn't be worth living. 😁😁😁

Who's this Piggy you keep banging on about? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Weston Super Saint is not the sharpest tool in the box. Some people would say and have said  that he is as thick as Pigshit. 

What a wonderful contribution that is to the discussion, especially as it relates to someone who hadn't contributed to the discussion today.

Well done you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, egg said:

What a wonderful contribution that is to the discussion, especially as it relates to someone who hadn't contributed to the discussion today.

Well done you. 

To be fair, you did ask him the question.

I am guessing you are buddies with Weston as well as Turkish? Makes sense.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Well done you. 

Well you did ask. Why bother asking if you try to belittle the answer?