Re-examining and learning from history

badgerx16

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I see the hypocrites are out in force this morning all over this condemning the person as racist and leaping on the whole city of Burnley as being right wing racist scum from a sh1t hole. How very judgemental! Surely we shouldn't leap to any conclusions on this and wait and see who is behind it. Rather than criticising an entire city as being fat, badly dressed, ugly and racist we should support the reasons as to why they feel like this? Burnley is historically one of the poorest areas in the country so maybe we should be helping them and working with them.  Rather than crucify an entire town maybe we should understand whoever was behind it was just a lone wolf with mental problems and doesn't represent all of Burnley or all white people? How do we even know he was white and from Burnley, it might be a left wing black or asian person behind it? If the #WLM movement supports the funding of police, demands an apology from the government for the slavery inflicted on millions by the Roman empire and is against the trafficking of girls from eastern europe, is that a bad thing? 

I don't know but I haven't seen enough white out pictures on my Facebook feed and shamefully, Richard Blackwood has stayed silent on this important issue. Black silence is violence. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't know but I haven't seen enough white out pictures on my Facebook feed and shamefully, Richard Blackwood has stayed silent on this important issue. Black silence is violence. 

But to be clear you no way support this what with you being an easily persuaded tolerant swing voter?

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I see the hypocrites are out in force this morning all over this condemning the person as racist and leaping on the whole city of Burnley as being right wing racist scum from a sh1t hole. How very judgemental! Surely we shouldn't leap to any conclusions on this and wait and see who is behind it. Rather than criticising an entire city as being fat, badly dressed, ugly and racist we should support the reasons as to why they feel like this? Burnley is historically one of the poorest areas in the country so maybe we should be helping them and working with them.  Rather than crucify an entire town maybe we should understand whoever was behind it was just a lone wolf with mental problems and doesn't represent all of Burnley or all white people? How do we even know he was white and from Burnley, it might be a left wing black or asian person behind it? If the #WLM movement supports the funding of police, demands an apology from the government for the slavery inflicted on millions by the Roman empire and is against the trafficking of girls from eastern europe, is that a bad thing? 

TBF anyone who commissions a plane banner for anything is some sort of cunt.

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

But to be clear you no way support this what with you being an easily persuaded tolerant swing voter?

Support what? Flying a plane over Burnley's stadium saying white lives matter? I think that's a really stupid idea. Bit of a bizarre thing to be ashamed or embarrassed by though. 

Edited by hypochondriac

20 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Agreed. I mean all that money and effort for what purpose? To have a few liberals and the easily offended frothing at the mouth? What's the point? 

I guess it was to prove a point. The club & police have certainly helped them to do so. Would have been far better to just ignore it.

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I guess it was to prove a point. The club & police have certainly helped them to do so. Would have been far better to just ignore it.

Well I do understand that but you'd have to be pretty dumb not to realise that the point they wrre making was obvious before they flew the plane. 

Who is winning the saintsweb least racist poster award? I usually keep my anti racism posts for social media so i can keep my self righteousness just to my friends so i can prove i'm not racist and also tell them i am a little bit superior to them by posting what it means to be anti-racist, as they obviously dont know. However for the saintsweb award we've got some outstanding candidates on here always on hand to show how much they care. Our current favourites seem to be...

Aintforever -  man of few words but always ready at the keyboard to praise any anti racism or jump on any racism, obvious or perceived with a carefully worded sentence to show everyone just how much he cares

Soggy - the clear favourite - the opposite to aintforver, he like to type and type and type and type. He knows what non white people need and is never shy to tell them. Well, not tell them exactly but tell everyone on here what they need in as many words and paragraphs as possible. He's got a great talent in being able to accuse anyone who questions him of being a right wing loon whilst at the same time ignoring the fact that by getting angry at question his view he's showing the same characteristics as those he claims to hate.  

Whelk - a surprising entry to the top 3, whose anti racism has taken his posting to new heights. Whelk seems to be thriving on this subject and managing find a way to tell everyone at least 8 times a day he isn't racist. 

Anyone desperate to prove they're not racist is going to have their work cut out to take the title off Soggy at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I Rather than criticising an entire city as being fat, badly dressed, ugly and racist we should support the reasons as to why they feel like this? Burnley is historically one of the poorest areas in the country so maybe we should be helping them and working with them.  Rather than crucify an entire town maybe we should understand whoever was behind it was just a lone wolf with mental problems and doesn't represent all of Burnley or all white people? 

Blimey, it's amazing how much empathy you can show to people who are, most likely, white racists!

Black people are far more likely to live in poverty in the UK, they watch someone of their race murdered on youtube by the police, are naturally angry and campaign for equality and all some people can do is cry about a few statues.

The unconscious racism in some people is so so obvious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Blimey, it's amazing how much empathy you can show to people who are, most likely, white racists!

Black people are far more likely to live in poverty in the UK, they watch someone of their race murdered on youtube by the police, are naturally angry and campaign for equality and all some people can do is cry about a few statues.

The unconscious racism in some people is so so obvious. 

Unconscious racism is by its very definition not obvious. Are you a racist? 

4 hours ago, whelk said:

Burnley is one of those horrible places that epitomises the home of the thick racist Brexit voter. Overweight, badly dressed aggressive ugly sorts making it a thoroughly depressing place. If you lived there you would hate everything and be a right wing cnt.

They stood out when featured on Real Football Factories as a ugly in-breads that no designer clothes could mask or make them appear anything but pitiful.

in-breads? Are you saying that they are crusties?

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Who is winning the saintsweb least racist poster award? I usually keep my anti racism posts for social media so i can keep my self righteousness just to my friends so i can prove i'm not racist and also tell them i am a little bit superior to them by posting what it means to be anti-racist, as they obviously dont know. However for the saintsweb award we've got some outstanding candidates on here always on hand to show how much they care. Our current favourites seem to be...

Aintforever -  man of few words but always ready at the keyboard to praise any anti racism or jump on any racism, obvious or perceived with a carefully worded sentence to show everyone just how much he cares

Soggy - the clear favourite - the opposite to aintforver, he like to type and type and type and type. He knows what non white people need and is never shy to tell them. Well, not tell them exactly but tell everyone on here what they need in as many words and paragraphs as possible. He's got a great talent in being able to accuse anyone who questions him of being a right wing loon whilst at the same time ignoring the fact that by getting angry at question his view he's showing the same characteristics as those he claims to hate.  

Whelk - a surprising entry to the top 3, whose anti racism has taken his posting to new heights. Whelk seems to be thriving on this subject and managing find a way to tell everyone at least 8 times a day he isn't racist. 

Anyone desperate to prove they're not racist is going to have their work cut out to take the title off Soggy at the moment. 

I thought Fry would have pipped me to spot 3.

Can’t  ever recall making a claim I am not racist though. I think we all have shades of it if we are honest with ourselves. I think it shines clearly though when a black movement is on the rise though and comical the pretence some put up to suggest they aren’t. I actually think UK has made decent inroads and can’t be compared to Eastern Europe and US police and annoying now that Sky and the like suggesting we are cultivating a vile racist culture - we aren’t! Not perfect but generally there is a tolerance however the Brexit polarisation of camps has clearly empowered some.

genuinely consider myself a free thinking moderate not aligned to any camp who may favour the left but also the right at times. Not like the sheep who want to back their guy or their cause whatever and seemingly because it’s a enough to wind up the other side - see Cummings.

Rule of thumb is the more shitty your life the more you hate.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

I thought Fry would have pipped me to spot 3.

Can’t  ever recall making a claim I am not racist though. I think we all have shades of it if we are honest with ourselves. I think it shines clearly though when a black movement is on the rise though and comical the pretence some put up to suggest they aren’t. I actually think UK has made decent inroads and can’t be compared to Eastern Europe and US police and annoying now that Sky and the like suggesting we are cultivating a vile racist culture - we aren’t! Not perfect but generally there is a tolerance however the Brexit polarisation of camps has clearly empowered some.

genuinely consider myself a free thinking moderate not aligned to any camp who may favour the left but also the right at times. Not like the sheep who want to back their guy or their cause whatever and seemingly because it’s a enough to wind up the other side - see Cummings.

Rule of thumb is the more shitty your life the more you hate.

CB Frys post the other day was a work of art, but he needs to show more consistency if he is to be taken seriously in the race for this trophy. He reminds me of Arsenal,  brilliant when in form, can give anyone a game and be great to watch on his day but great performances now and again are not the mark of a champion. It's the consistent one liner condemnation posts minutes after a perceived racist post almost like an alarm has gone off (something aintforever excels at) that get the points regularly or doing the dirty things, like always on hand to offer an example of a time when they weren't racist, having a pious tone to every post and telling everyone what black people think (despite rarely speaking to any) and what white people should be thinking and doing(Soggys forte) on the subject or accusing others of sub-conscious racism which sets the champions apart.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

For me personally, i'd be able to understand the huge backlash in the UK and the protests if i'd actually seen or heard any racism at all in the last 35 years (I'm 44). From school, to Liverpool Poly for 3 years, to Doncaster for 5 years, and then back to my roots.....nothing. I have worked in recruitment since 1999, and one of the first people i placed was a design engineer (automotive) who was black. Since then, there's been people of all ethnic origins placed in roles from warehouse to senior management and not a hint of racism or white favouritism. None.

At Uni in the 1990s i had a black housemate (still one of my best friends) and he as with all other BAME students were just students like the rest of us. The same at school in late 80s and early 90s, and my daughter now (6) has friends from almost all backgrounds and they simply don't see skin colour as anything other than normal.

I look at St Mary's now, and as a Northam ST holder, can't imagine anything offensive being said without all those sitting around that person jumping on them and giving them a stern "talking to".

This country is unbelievably inclusive, and while i'm not saying racism doesn't exist (of course it does), i just don't see it. 

Where are the black population at a disadvantage? Do they have access to the same education system? I know there are poor black areas across the UK, but so are there poor white areas with gang crime.

Maybe i'm being naive - i think that any one of us on here would be appalled and extremely surprised to hear anyone with any racist views or use any offensive language.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, sadoldgit said:

I seem to remember you using the same argument relating to the lack of equality in pay for women. You find one or two examples to support your world view and that’s you done, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

You seem to have missed the countless interviews with black people recounting their experiences with racial equality. You ignored the likes of Raheem Stirling when he said that racism was still a problem in football. You seem to have filtered out the hundreds of thousands of black people marching in support of BLM.

As white people we have no idea what it is like to face racial inequality on a daily basis, but the very least we can do is to listen to those who do experience it and do something to help them stop it, even if it means voting against the Tory party whose leader is a self declared racist.

Do you realise how condescending white people sound when they try and tell black people that the problem really isn’t that big?

Perhaps the black people you know who play this down should take you along to a BLM meeting so that you can all hear about the experiences of people who have to put up with this sh*t on a regular basis?

Incorrect. Living in SE Asia for the last 20 years I can tell you now I am subjected to forms of racism on a daily basis. Two tier pricing, one for Thai people, one for Farang (whites). Being publicly blamed by police and government officials on a constant basis for everything that goes wrong in the country. E.G. Recently a high up minister here blamed COVID on dirty Farang who do not shower. I am subjected to racist noises, tuts and glares occassionally, mostly from Chinese Thais. Racism is everywhere. Not just on blacks. 

29 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

This country is unbelievably inclusive, and while i'm not saying racism doesn't exist (of course it does), i just don't see it. 

Where are the black population at a disadvantage? Do they have access to the same education system? I know there are poor black areas across the UK, but so are there poor white areas with gang crime.

Edited by Manuel

Speaking to my daughter about just this issue the other day.  She quoted her sociology a-level text books at me which give evidence of "unconscious bias" by teachers and the school system.  Examples include black kids being more likely to be excluded for the same offence than white, example "swearing at a teacher" or "threatening language".  Other evidence of teachers being more likely to place black kids into lower learning-streams than white kids despite them having the same results thus far.  Having lower expectations of them and them subsequently being unable to achieve the results they perhaps could.  

I didn't delve into the evidence but it was interesting and sounded plausible.  

34 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It'll probably turn out to be a United or Scouse fan trying to wind the Citeh fans (or Sterling) up

Lol. Burnley fan by the looks of things and a bit of a berk. No point going insane about it though like some in the media are. 

FB_IMG_1592915889276.jpg

Edited by hypochondriac

31 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Interesting to see what the outcome is.  The police will look into it but I can't see that they could invent a charge that would stick, even these days.  

You'd be surprised. Maybe malicious communications or something about intent to offend. 

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You'd be surprised. Maybe malicious communications or something about intent to offend. 

Playing Devil's advocate - what is offensive about 'white lives matter' if 'black lives matter' isn't ?

10 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Playing Devil's advocate - what is offensive about 'white lives matter' if 'black lives matter' isn't ?

Nothing at all. If Black Lives matter is just stating the obvious or an extension of "Black Lives Matter too" then surely the same is true for all races? Is it controversial to believe that some people will believe that White Lives don't matter very much or at least matter less and that pointing that out whilst potentially crass and a bit rude in this context is ordinarily not something that should provoke an outraged response? But often with this gross offence thing it's not important what the actual content or intent is, it's what the court or a judge believes the intent or the meaning to be that matters in the legal sense- see the Nazi Pug guy. 

Edited by hypochondriac

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Lol. Burnley fan by the looks of things and a bit of a berk. No point going insane about it though like some in the media are. 

FB_IMG_1592915889276.jpg

Guess who is cut out of that picture. 

19 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Because of what it clearly means, black lives matter, unless you are a dumb right winger playing dumb, which many in the media do with the 'but all lives matter' trope, does not mean black lives above everyone else, it means all lives should matter but at the moment clearly black people's lives do not seem to matter as much.

So saying 'white lives matter' when clearly white people in most western societies don't suffer the same social injustice, mistrust, racism etc. as minorities do is just offensive and racist.

It's the same thing as 'defund the police' does not literally mean we have no Police force. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Guess who is cut out of that picture. 

Because of what it clearly means, black lives matter, unless you are a dumb right winger playing dumb, which many in the media do with the 'but all lives matter' trope, does not mean black lives above everyone else, it means all lives should matter but at the moment clearly black people's lives do not seem to matter as much.

So saying 'white lives matter' when clearly white people in most western societies don't suffer the same social injustice, mistrust, racism etc. as minorities do is just offensive and racist.

It's the same thing as 'defund the police' does not literally mean we have no Police force. 

Hold on. People on here for weeks have said there is no hidden meaning to the phrase "Black Lives Matter" that it's a simple statement of fact that black lives do actually matter with no other agendas. Why is there suddenly some hidden meaning to "White Lives Matter" beyond the obvious statement of fact that of course they matter. 

You've got no idea that "white people" (for want of a better term because I'd prefer not to group people in terms of the colour of their skin) in Western societies don't suffer injustice, mistrust, discrimination etc to a greater or lesser degree than anyone else. You're doing what a lot of people like to do and equating all difference between racial groups as discrimination of some kind. No doubt at all that there are black people who have faced discrimination of many kinds but it's impossible to say with any certainty that a random white member of the public has experienced greater or lesser levels of discrimination than a random black member of the public.   

So yes black lives do matter, it's OK to be black and we should stand up to black discrimination. The same also applies to other skin tones and when you see a fair amount of graffitti with variations of f*ck white people around various capital cities and all over social media, it seems like a reminder of this could be a good idea- albeit not tied to the back of an aircraft during the football.

IMG_20200623_160631_827.jpg

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What does it (literally) mean then?  

I'll await tujjuk's response eagerly. Whilst he's about it, perhaps he can explain away all the other anarchist crap on their website, which makes Corbyn look like a moderate. I've nothing against the principle that Black Lives Matter equally to those of anybody else's, but BLM's website shows that it is an organisation with much more revolutionary aims than just bringing about racial equality.

55 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

it means all lives should matter but at the moment clearly black people's lives do not seem to matter as much.

It what way does a black persons  life matter less than mine.

Does the NHS prioritise whites?

Have I got my job because I’m white?

If I commit a crime will I be let off because I’m white?

Are there places to eat and drink that only whites can use?

You lefties seem to think the country is like an episode of In The Heat of the night. There’s undoubtedly people who judge others by the colour of their skin, Diane Abbott for one, but the country is far far more tolerant than you lot want it to be. You’re desperately trying to create differences and that’s why we’ve ended up where we are. What does more for racial disharmony  some half wit organising a banner, or the fact White lives matter is now considered racist? 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd like to know from the BLM supporters on here: in your estimation, who do you think caused the most damage, the bloke who flew the plane over the stadium yesterday or the person who threw the bike at the police horse? 

I fear it would be wasted on someone who who doesn’t seem to have much of an understanding of any of the recent events.

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

I fear it would be wasted on someone who who doesn’t seem to have much of an understanding of any of the recent events.

Yes that does seem to be the stock response  towards those who question the black lives matter organisation or the official narrative- just too thick to understand and have no real grasp of events. It couldn't possibly be anything else. 

Edited by hypochondriac

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes that does seem to be the stock response  towards those who question the black lives matter organisation or the official narrative- just too thick to understand and have no real understanding. It couldn't possibly be anything else. 

You clearly aren’t doing much to educate yourself  such as listening to people talking about things from their viewpoint

the i don’t understand why white lives matter line is amusing. In any reasonable social circles it would mark you a racist and laughable that you and others can’t, or  pretend not to see it. 
why don’t you wear a T shirt with that on it and see reaction you get from any BAME colleague? Obviously you will have no idea of any offence and can seek solace that oddballs on here will sympathise. 

29 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It what way does a black persons  life matter less than mine.

Does the NHS prioritise whites?

Have I got my job because I’m white?

If I commit a crime will I be let off because I’m white?

Are there places to eat and drink that only whites can use?

You lefties seem to think the country is like an episode of In The Heat of the night. There’s undoubtedly people who judge others by the colour of their skin, Diane Abbott for one, but the country is far far more tolerant than you lot want it to be. You’re desperately trying to create differences and that’s why we’ve ended up where we are. What does more for racial disharmony  some half wit organising a banner, or the fact White lives matter is now considered racist? 

I see that you have been very selective in your questions Duckie. Perhaps go and have a conversation with Viv Anderson about black coaches in football then come back and let us know how you get on.

1 minute ago, whelk said:

You clearly aren’t doing much to educate yourself  such as listening to people talking about things from their viewpoint

the i don’t understand why white lives matter line is amusing. In any reasonable social circles it would mark you a racist and laughable that you and others can’t, or  pretend not to see it. 
why don’t you wear a T shirt with that on it and see reaction you get from any BAME colleague? Obviously you will have no idea of any offence and can seek solace that oddballs on here will sympathise. 

Do you realise how condescending it is to someone who disagrees with you to respond with "educate yourself?" I've listened to opposing viewpoints on this for hours, I don't need any more "education" on the topic. Like many others I simply disagree with most of the theories peddled to suggest that the UK in particular is some sort of uniquely racist hellhole  when almost all evidence suggests that we are living in the freest and most Liberal time periods and we are one of the most tolerant and Liberal nations on earth.

I don't advocate for any group receiving any sort of preferential treatment due to the colour of their skin and I'd prefer not to use the term "white" at all because it's a stupid term but the fact that you think it would mark me as a racist were I to do so says more about you than other people I would suggest. 

34 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I see that you have been very selective in your questions Duckie. Perhaps go and have a conversation with Viv Anderson about black coaches in football then come back and let us know how you get on.

What percentage of the UK black population do you think have been subject to discrimination in UK football coaching jobs? 0.001%? Less? Even if what Viv Anderson says is true, that's not evidence of widespread racial discrimination of black people accross UK society. Hilarious that you accuse LD of being selective with his questions and then you ask a much more selective question as a counterpoint! 

Edited by hypochondriac

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you realise how condescending it is to someone who disagrees with you to respond with "educate yourself?" I've listened to opposing viewpoints on this for hours, I don't need any more "education" on the topic. Like many others I simply disagree with most of the theories peddled to suggest that the UK in particular is some sort of uniquely racist hellhole  when almost all evidence suggests that we are living in the freest and most Liberal time periods and we are one of the most tolerant and Liberal nations on earth.

I don't advocate for any group receiving any sort of preferential treatment due to the colour of their skin and I'd prefer not to use the term "white" at all because it's a stupid term but the fact that you think it would mark me as a racist were I to do so says more about you than other people I would suggest. 

You think it is the same thing to understand White Lives Matter is offensive and has clear racist connotations to must follow that you believe the UK is a racist hell hole?

28 minutes ago, whelk said:

You think it is the same thing to understand White Lives Matter is offensive and has clear racist connotations to must follow that you believe the UK is a racist hell hole?

I can see a clear double standard when a group calling themselves black lives matter with a website clearly outlining their aims is supposedly nothing to do with the very aims they have explicitly outlined and yet when someone in response writes a phrase such as "it's OK to be white" with no other meanings explicitly stated, that is concrete proof of racism and white supremacy in action. 

The literal words White lives matter are only "offensive" if you ascribe to it racist connotations in the same way that others are harshly criticised for daring to suggest that for many the words "black lives matter" have a deeper connotation beyond simply the three words. If I had to make a best guess about this chap then on the face of it he's the type of person who gets whipped up into an angry frenzy about rape gangs and terrorist attacks and its possible there's a racist element there. He's most likely seen the killing of the three people the other day, thought "what about the white people being killed by Muslims" and then stuck that plane in the air as a response. Like I said pretty crass and distasteful and not a great demonstration of intelligence to do that but I don't think there's some insidious deeper meaning to it. 

Like I said though, I'd rather that we didn't go around categorising people based on their skin colour. I have no more in common with my elderly white neighbour than I do with the African family opposite simply because we share the same colour of skin and this entire effort to divide communities down racial lines is distasteful in the extreme. 

Do you think a reasonable response to a statue with "fuck white people" or signs with white people getting shot or killed on them is to say "white lives matter?" If not why not? 

Edited by hypochondriac

58 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

This is the biggest load of pony going. That racist Darren Lewis was banging on about it Sunday and Oliver Holt was pandering to pinkos like you in his articles as well. Football isn’t racist, chairmen would make Donald Trump manager if they thought he’d keep them in the premier league, the idea that they’ve got an agenda against black managers & coaches is bizarre. We’ll see how racist football is when the wolves fella becomes available, they’ll all be after him. What sort of racist organisation pays black players millions a year, giving them hero worship status, but won’t employ a back room guy because, he’s black? 

The best managers & coaches get the jobs, that’s why we have Ralph & not Radhi Jaidi, why Watford have Nigel Pearson instead of John Barnes & why Spurs have Jose & not Chris Houghton. I know you’d prefer a quota, god you’d probably even insist there were some chicks in the quota. A black, trans chick would be a shoe in for the next big  vacancy in your world. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not about educating some people - some people are well aware of the offence it causes but are happy to carry on using the term. 

It's a bit like using the phrases "Call a spade a spade" or "Wait a cotton picking minute" - people know their origin but will still happily use it, safe in the knowledge that they can use the "but why does that offend anyone" defence. Unfortunately for those people, it does offend others, and the people that tend to use those phrases aren't BAME so don't appreciate the fact that it does. 

White people questioning why something offends someone from a different origin really is a pet hate of mine... 

Edited by Earthworm Jim

On 6/19/2020 at 6:30 AM, hypochondriac said:

I really don't think you can blame the players here. Honestly what choice do they have? Imagine if one of them didn't kneel. They'd be pilloried, called every name under the sun and probably lose their livelihood. I genuinely think if I were a young lad and skilled enough to be playing for a prem team I'd just keep my head down and kneel regardless of my personal feelings- it's not worth dissenting. 

I wonder what would happen if a black player playing for England decided to sit out the national anthem in protest. Presumably as a defender of free expression and resistance to groupthink you'd leap to their defense?