Coronavirus

whelk

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Assuming the vaccine has remotely the desired impact, there should be no reason what so ever to keep the country locked down at this point.

Not sure myself right now. All the talk of getting vaccines by a certain date is for the first of two required shots of the vaccine. Data is sparse at the moment but it’s reckoned only around 60-70% efficacy after the first dose rising to 90% after the second dose. The second shot is recommended around 12 weeks after the first for maximum efficacy. So even for people getting their first shot now, they’re perhaps not at full protection until April.  It goes without saying that 60% is better than 0% of course.

I think we’ll see a gradual loosening of restrictions by end of March but can’t see us getting anywhere close to the old normal by summer.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Not sure myself right now. All the talk of getting vaccines by a certain date is for the first of two required shots of the vaccine. Data is sparse at the moment but it’s reckoned only around 60-70% efficacy after the first dose rising to 90% after the second dose. The second shot is recommended around 12 weeks after the first for maximum efficacy. So even for people getting their first shot now, they’re perhaps not at full protection until April.  It goes without saying that 60% is better than 0% of course.

I think we’ll see a gradual loosening of restrictions by end of March but can’t see us getting anywhere close to the old normal by summer.

Nods in agreement. It’ll be like this until March with a gradual reduction from then

Turks makes a very good point, again - we've been fortunate to have such competent ministers, experienced professionals with integrity, guiding us through this crisis.

If some bloody marxist-woke-loony-leftie-trans-remoaner-liberal elite-snowflake-BLM-pinko had been in charge dishing out taxpayer backhanders to their mates and fucking up the economy, we could have had 100,000 dead.

Boris has been a fucking hero in very difficult unprecedented circumstances, and thanks to his astute and decisive approach, we lead the world in every field of human endeavour, and our fish now look happier too.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Turks makes a very good point, again - we've been fortunate to have such competent ministers, experienced professionals with integrity, guiding us through this crisis.

If some bloody marxist-woke-loony-leftie-trans-remoaner-liberal elite-snowflake-BLM-pinko had been in charge dishing out taxpayer backhanders to their mates and fucking up the economy, we could have had 100,000 dead.

Boris has been a fucking hero in very difficult unprecedented circumstances, and thanks to his astute and decisive approach, we lead the world in every field of human endeavour, and our fish now look happier too.

Except that’s not what I said but don’t let that stop you coming out with a load of bullsh1t, again. I said will those who have been so quick to criticise the government every chance they get be as quick to give credit where it’s due by leading the world in rolling out the vaccine. No mean feat.  I see the predictable “well it’s about time they got something right” responses give us the answer.

I’d be the first to criticise this lying shitshow of a government, but you have to say that the vaccine rollout so far has been astonishingly good. If it keeps to schedule my folks (in their 70s) should get the jab by the end of February, which is better than I could have hoped just a few short weeks back.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

It goes without saying that 60% is better than 0% of course.

I think we reach herd immunity at around 60% so hopefully with the vulnerable all vaccinated there could maybe be a chance of some sort of normality by summer.

i guess the biggest issue is the fact that i5 is a global problem so until everywhere is vaccinated it’s still going to be an issue, especially with new variants appearing all the time.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I think we reach herd immunity at around 60% so hopefully with the vulnerable all vaccinated there could maybe be a chance of some sort of normality by summer.

It depended what you class by some sort of normality, but I’m not so sure myself. Certainly a loosening of restrictions but nowhere near normal imo. From what I gather this latest strain is seeing much more significant impact on younger people. Probably not enough data yet to call it, but i can see it being autumn or winter before we get back to anything like normal, and even then I think we’re going to have various sorts of lower level restrictions in place for some time to come yet.

14 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’d be the first to criticise this lying shitshow of a government, but you have to say that the vaccine rollout so far has been astonishingly good. If it keeps to schedule my folks (in their 70s) should get the jab by the end of February, which is better than I could have hoped just a few short weeks back.

Careful with these measured responses, you’ll be accused of being a troll or have someone patronisingly telling “it’s not difficult” before making up a load of sh1t you never said in response. 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Careful with these measured responses, you’ll be accused of being a troll or have someone patronisingly telling “it’s not difficult” before making up a load of sh1t you never said in response. 

I can still call Boris a cunt though, right? 😉

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I can still call Boris a cunt though, right? 😉

Yep. My view is largely that they have cocked a load of stuff up but seem to have got this right, which they knew they had to after previous errors.

I guess the only country who could claim to have done better is Israel who got the army involved straight away and have smashed through about 2 million in no time. 

Spoke to my sister earlier, one of her team visited a positive Covid patient aged 50 the other day who was complaining of feeling unwell. She tested him and said she was concerned about his oxygen levels but by this time he was talking quite easily and moving around.

She eventually persuaded him to go to hospital to get further tests. A couple of hours later after another job she thought she'd see how he was. By this time he was in ITU. 3 hours later he was dead. 

28 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Spoke to my sister earlier, one of her team visited a positive Covid patient aged 50 the other day who was complaining of feeling unwell. She tested him and said she was concerned about his oxygen levels but by this time he was talking quite easily and moving around.

She eventually persuaded him to go to hospital to get further tests. A couple of hours later after another job she thought she'd see how he was. By this time he was in ITU. 3 hours later he was dead. 

That is very sad and has been quite common. They call it ‘happy hypoxia’ where the individuals’s oxygen levels are dangerously low yet they can carry on a normal existence at the same time as their organs are suffering serious damage.

There are suggestions that getting a pulse oximeter for use at hope might persuade the ambulance to come out to you if you find you have a low oxygen level.

Anecdotal, I know, but I’m aware of friends of friends who have had both doses of the Pfizer or the Sinopharm vaccine and are still contracting the virus and testing positive afterwards. No bad symptoms though.

Again, only anecdotal, but suggests at least one of those two vaccines isn’t stopping transmission, even if it does manage symptoms. 

This is not in the UK, by the way. I guess this means more chance of mutations over time, if the anecdotes are true etc..., as the virus will still be circulating in large number, just not causing serious symptoms.

23 minutes ago, benjii said:

Anecdotal, I know, but I’m aware of friends of friends who have had both doses of the Pfizer or the Sinopharm vaccine and are still contracting the virus and testing positive afterwards. No bad symptoms though.

Again, only anecdotal, but suggests at least one of those two vaccines isn’t stopping transmission, even if it does manage symptoms. 

This is not in the UK, by the way. I guess this means more chance of mutations over time, if the anecdotes are true etc..., as the virus will still be circulating in large number, just not causing serious symptoms.

Report: Deaths from Pfizer Coronavirus Vaccine Hit 29 in Norway (breitbart.com) 😨

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Thats probably true about the Sinovac, and consistent with evidence emerging. It seems to reduce severity in most people but not so good at actually preventing illness. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00094-z

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/13/asia/sinovac-covid-vaccine-efficacy-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by buctootim

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I saw another post somewhere (can't verify any source) which reckons 400 people per week die in care homes in Norway anyway. Obviously the causes of death should be rigorously checked in such circumstances but as more and more vaccines are delivered, more of these stories will emerge. 

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I saw another post somewhere (can't verify any course) which reckons 400 people per week die in care homes in Norway anyway. Obviously the causes of death should be rigorously checked in such circumstances but as more and more vaccines are delivered, more of these stories will emerge. 

Im looking forward to the meltdown on here about how Boris Johnson is injecting us with a killer tory virus, they've managed to murder all these people now but he survived.

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Im looking forward to the meltdown on here about how Boris Johnson is injecting us with a killer tory virus, they've managed to murder all these people now but he survived.

Keep checking Breitbart for your news and you should be ok.

The Royal Logistical Corp were/are in charge of the planning for the vaccine rollout, hence the success.

Hopefully momentum will continue to build.

I'll be interested to see how they re-open the schools. 

Part of me would like them fully re-opened straight after Feb 1/2 term as teaching from my wife's dressing table in our bedroom isn't the easiest but I would have thought some sort of phased return from early March is more likely.

Less pressure now exams are cancelled although we still won't know for certain, for at least another 4 weeks, how exactly we are to come to grade conclusions.  

4 hours ago, benjii said:

It takes a while for immunity to be establishing of course. Without knowing the details it’s difficult to form any conclusions.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I remember seeing a briefing around Xmas time with Boris and his acronym buddy JVT. JVT said that the vaccine needs 2-3 weeks in the body before it actually becomes effective. 

From that article, Norway only began vaccinations on December 27. So, if the 2-3 week theory is indeed correct, people who got the jab then will only be seeing benefit now. And presumably that is only jab 1 of the 2 required.

It seems like we know any realistically accurate information for quite some time yet.

Edit: basically, what WG said.

Edit again. It seems I missed the point of the article itself.....

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Some professor on points West just stated it takes 2-3 weeks for the vaccine (all vaccines) to start to work. Even then you can still be infected, however, your illness will not be as severe if you have any symptoms at all.

Snap dragon had hers on Friday, and she was told more or less the same thing. They did tell her she may feel rough for a few days, but she hasn’t as of yet. 

48 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I remember seeing a briefing around Xmas time with Boris and his acronym buddy JVT. JVT said that the vaccine needs 2-3 weeks in the body before it actually becomes effective. 

From that article, Norway only began vaccinations on December 27. So, if the 2-3 week theory is indeed correct, people who got the jab then will only be seeing benefit now. And presumably that is only jab 1 of the 2 required.

It seems like we know any realistically accurate information for quite some time yet.

Edit: basically, what WG said.

Edit again. It seems I missed the point of the article itself.....

AND YOU BELIEVED THAT LYING USELESS CUNT?!!!!!!!

fair points well made

3 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I reckon the deaths will drop sharply from now on, as those most likely to die get vaccinated. New infections will obviously also drop but more slowly. 

I’m going to make an optimistic prediction of sub 500 deaths on Friday 29th. Let’s see how well this post ages.

39 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I reckon the deaths will drop sharply from now on, as those most likely to die get vaccinated. New infections will obviously also drop but more slowly. 

Agree that, thanks to the vaccine, deaths will drop sharply at some point but isn't there a 3 week delay before they take effect, so add that to the time it takes to get them done and it may be a while yet.

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Agree that, thanks to the vaccine, deaths will drop sharply at some point but isn't there a 3 week delay before they take effect, so add that to the time it takes to get them done and it may be a while yet.

Immunity gradually builds immediately after exposure. I think three weeks is how long it takes on average to get close to maximum.  There was case last week where a very elderly couple of 95 and 94, he with asthma as well were infected only a week after getting their first jab and both had only mild symptoms.   With something like just over half of the over 80s having been vaccinated already plus the effect of lockdown filtering though I reckon deaths are just about at the peak.   

Cases going down which is good, and that decrease will carry on now the lockdown takes effect on them. 

Deaths will stay high for a while as will the number of people in hospital which won't reduce as quickly as it did in the first wave because treatment is getting better and people are in there longer.

1 hour ago, View From The Top said:

Numbers in hospital are down in London and the SE but still rising everywhere else.

That kind of ties in with the London lockdown a few weeks ago, when everyone packed onto the trains to flee the city. What a stupid policy that was.

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

Immunity gradually builds immediately after exposure. I think three weeks is how long it takes on average to get close to maximum.  There was case last week where a very elderly couple of 95 and 94, he with asthma as well were infected only a week after getting their first jab and both had only mild symptoms.   With something like just over half of the over 80s having been vaccinated already plus the effect of lockdown filtering though I reckon deaths are just about at the peak.   

I agree, I think and hope this is very much the crescendo.

On 17/01/2021 at 03:15, The Cat said:

Yep. My view is largely that they have cocked a load of stuff up but seem to have got this right, which they knew they had to after previous errors.

I guess the only country who could claim to have done better is Israel who got the army involved straight away and have smashed through about 2 million in no time. 

Did that include the Palestinians (I'm being facetious)?

43 minutes ago, Born In The 80s said:

I know it's a rag, but the Daily Mail today talking about the lockdown easing on Good Friday, apart from schools which will start going back after half term. Good Friday feels like a hell of a long way off. 

that was always the aim i think, Boris said easter so that ties in with that. Infections are coming down and over 4m vaccines now so we've just got to get through it unfortunately. 

Edited by Turkish

2 hours ago, Born In The 80s said:

I know it's a rag, but the Daily Mail today talking about the lockdown easing on Good Friday, apart from schools which will start going back after half term. Good Friday feels like a hell of a long way off. 

My daughter is a dinner lady assistant at our local infant school. She says that over half the children are going in at the moment, presumably because they are classed as children of key workers. She knows for a fact that one of the mothers is working from home.

So half the kids are getting a classroom education whilst the rest are staring at a screen.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus