Coronavirus

whelk

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The great lady would have done a damn sight better. She’d have taken tough decisions and wouldn’t have been afraid to be unpopular. 

Poll Tax, Interest rates at 15%, Abolished free school milk, deregulated banks (effects we still feel today), massive contribution to decline of manufacturing industry, precipitated the housing crisis by selling off council homes and not replacing them, unemployment at 12%, cosied up to dictators and human rights abusers such as Pinochet.  Yeah, you know where you were with Thatcher - you were fucked.  She'd have taken tough decisions but they'd have been the wrong ones. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Poll Tax, Interest rates at 15%, Abolished free school milk, deregulated banks (effects we still feel today), massive contribution to decline of manufacturing industry, precipitated the housing crisis by selling off council homes and not replacing them, unemployment at 12%, cosied up to dictators and human rights abusers such as Pinochet.  Yeah, you know where you were with Thatcher - you were fucked.  She'd have taken tough decisions but they'd have been the wrong ones. 

And the furlough money would be an anathema to her.  Look after yourselves you cunts

• Like 2

Vaccine deliveries to the North of England are to be redirected to other areas that are lagging in their vaccination programs. You would think that each NHS region would have a reasonably accurate understanding of their local population size and demographics, and therefore how many doses they required.

Edited by badgerx16

I had a text yesterday from my GP practice inviting me to go online to book my jab. 

About 90 minutes later (before I'd booked my appointment), I had another text telling me that my appointment had been cancelled and I should wait until they contacted me again.

I was speaking to my GP this morning on an unrelated matter and mentioned this.  She said that the appointment system was "having problems".

11 minutes ago, View From The Top said:

Going to produced on Teeside so well played all those involved.

Brilliant news.

Will be interesting to know if this particular vaccine was already assumed in the "everyone vaccinated by September" target or whether this is upside and we can hope for better.

The experts keep telling us the key limiting factor is supply not capability so hopefully this releases incremental supply into the network over spring and summer. (Am aware approval still pending).

Edited by CB Fry

'cking hell, they're talking about why BAMEs are the lowest % of races not taking up the vaccine, Rusty Lee, the voice of a generation, is claiming it might have something to do with a doctor in America 175 years ago who cut up black people without anesthetic leading them to mistrust doctors. Also apparently some muslims are saying to let god sort it out, which will please MLG. 

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

'cking hell, they're talking about why BAMEs are the lowest % of races not taking up the vaccine, Rusty Lee, the voice of a generation, is claiming it might have something to do with a doctor in America 175 years ago who cut up black people without anesthetic leading them to mistrust doctors. Also apparently some muslims are saying to let god sort it out, which will please MLG. 

There does seem to be a very strange mistrust of the vaccine within some BAME groups.

I'll happily take theirs if it's going spare.

• Like 1

Very sad and only 46 - warning to us all. Some of the public has to wise up around severity of the virus and these second and third strains seem more random in who they will seriously maim and kill.

Social media need to follow the lead they had with Trump and put false flag warnings on anti-Vax and conspiracy theory liars. I don’t want to ban them because if they go underground it’s even more dangerous and would rather expose their warped agendas in public. It’s like Trumpism is another form of global contagion

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9196591/Covid-UK-Covid-denying-conspiracy-theorist-46-dies-coronavirus-refusing-wear-mask.html

1 hour ago, View From The Top said:

There does seem to be a very strange mistrust of the vaccine within some BAME groups.

I'll happily take theirs if it's going spare.

I agree, citing events of generations ago, totally wrong and unethical as those were (syphilis trials in the US) has no relevance to taking the COVID vaccines in 2020. On the logic of the loons spreading this content, people in Wiltshire will refuse them because of the Porton Down experiments of the 1950s. We know statistically that BAME communities are more vulnerable so go and get it done when the invite arrives. If people have safety concerns, ask their doctor, they will advise. No excuse for taking the word of extremist posters and conspiracy theorists. 

36 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Very sad and only 46 - warning to us all. Some of the public has to wise up around severity of the virus and these second and third strains seem more random in who they will seriously maim and kill.

Social media need to follow the lead they had with Trump and put false flag warnings on anti-Vax and conspiracy theory liars. I don’t want to ban them because if they go underground it’s even more dangerous and would rather expose their warped agendas in public. It’s like Trumpism is another form of global contagion

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9196591/Covid-UK-Covid-denying-conspiracy-theorist-46-dies-coronavirus-refusing-wear-mask.html

The sad thing about that is the number of innocent people trying to protect themselves he may have infected, walking around with Covid and no mask/SD. This is Darwinism at work. 

On a slightly different tack, why do we need 367m shots? Even accepting most need two doses that's still enough for almost three times our population. Vaccines are also not the kind of thing you hoard to use in three years time either, because viruses evolve and change. 

image.thumb.png.83e2a2063a6be810fa1be52a3aaeef41.png

36 minutes ago, buctootim said:

On a slightly different tack, why do we need 367m shots? Even accepting most need two doses that's still enough for almost three times our population. Vaccines are also not the kind of thing you hoard to use in three years time either, because viruses evolve and change. 

Because when they bought them they didn't know which ones, if any, were likely to work so they hedged their bets.  There's also the issue of supply so this should mean that if any of them have production difficulties then we're not in the cart.  Given the global demand I would think we could probably renegotiate if we did end up with excess vaccines anyway.

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

I think we just covered all bases. Can't argue with it really.

I would think we won't actually call in all of that, and if all goes well we've got some proper brownie points when we send Boris over to start delivering shipments to Botswana or Bogota.

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not sure I get the positivity over the one jab Janssen vaccine. It’s claimed to be around 66% effective but isn’t that barely an improvement on an assumed 60% efficacy of one dose of AZ or Pfeizer?

It's also claimed to stop people from becoming 'seriously ill' therefore will reduce the pressure on the NHS, I guess that's where the 'excitement' comes from.  Less people seriously ill = less people in hospital = less deaths = less restrictions on life.

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's also claimed to stop people from becoming 'seriously ill' therefore will reduce the pressure on the NHS, I guess that's where the 'excitement' comes from.  Less people seriously ill = less people in hospital = less deaths = less restrictions on life.

I thought that’s what all the vaccines did anyway? 

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I believe the the positivity comes from the fact that it can be stored in a standard fridge and is easy to transport.

At this stage I'll take all the positivity I can get.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not sure I get the positivity over the one jab Janssen vaccine. It’s claimed to be around 66% effective but isn’t that barely an improvement on an assumed 60% efficacy of one dose of AZ or Pfeizer?

If you are given that particular vaccine, when and how do you find out if you are in the 66% ?

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Yep at first sight 68% isn’t all that but the impressive part is that no-one at all in the trials died or needed hospital treatment. So sure 32% get Covid but it’s the severity of a cold. I’d be happy with that,

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I thought that’s what all the vaccines did anyway? 

Not necessarily. Some might give absolute protection to particular groups but not generate any immune in others. This one plus also the Oxford / AZ vaccine which are both based in attenuated viruses seem to work best in reducing severity of infection 

6 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Yep at first sight 68% isn’t all that but the impressive part is that no-one at all in the trials died or needed hospital treatment. So sure 32% get Covid but it’s the severity of a cold. I’d be happy with that,

But if you do catch it you probably won't die but you could still probably pass it on.

I assume there are posters and followers here who have been affected by COVID either personally or have family members or friends who caught it so my best wishes from a total stranger in NZ. I haven't read much of this thread but a death, for example, by whatever means (COVID or otherwise) is devastating. 

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Nah, living forever would be unbearable. I’ll give that vaccine a miss.

If life got too bad I would test it’s efficacy by jumping into a vat of sulphuric acid. Apparently that’s a nice peaceful way to go.

Edited by whelk

9 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I assume there are posters and followers here who have been affected by COVID either personally or have family members or friends who caught it so my best wishes from a total stranger in NZ. I haven't read much of this thread but a death, for example, by whatever means (COVID or otherwise) is devastating. 

Thanks for your kind wishes. 

Its probably best for your mental health not to read all 122 pages of this thread. 

Just now, Tamesaint said:

Thanks for your kind wishes. 

Its probably best for your mental health not to read all 122 pages of this thread. 

We’re one big happy family wishing each other well and respecting that there are times when we don’t agree.

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

If life got too bad I would test it’s efficacy by jumping into a vat of sulphuric acid. Apparently that’s a nice peaceful way to go.

What if it dissolved your body but you continued to experience conscience outside the known parameters of metaphysics.

Not sure I’ll risk it.

31 minutes ago, whelk said:

We’re one big happy family wishing each other well and respecting that there are times when we don’t agree.

Oh yeah. That's right....

And then the village idiot comes along to suggest locking all covid patients up on boats and we take the piss.

Just been speaking to my parents on the phone, both in their 70s and both have got their jabs booked for next week. They said that pretty much all their friends of similar age have been done already or are booked in for next week.

If you had told me just in December that they would be in line for a vaccine before Easter, I’d have been delighted with that. The speed of the rollout has been extremely impressive. Just hope the bloody thing works.....

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just been speaking to my parents on the phone, both in their 70s and both have got their jabs booked for next week. They said that pretty much all their friends of similar age have been done already or are booked in for next week.

If you had told me just in December that they would be in line for a vaccine before Easter, I’d have been delighted with that. The speed of the rollout has been extremely impressive. Just hope the bloody thing works.....

Yep, it’s been impressive, my mother in law gets hers next week, 71 with no health conditions. Most people we know in her age group here have had or will be having them in the next couple of weeks.They are using a conference centre for vaccines in the town I live in and talking to a lady working there they are doing 1800 vaccines a day, plus they two other temporary centres within 15 miles which is impressive stuff. Particularly when you think a few months ago some on here were insisting only one nurse per doctors surgery would be administering them.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Yep, it’s been impressive, my mother in law gets hers next week, 71 with no health conditions. Most people we know in her age group here have had or will be having them in the next couple of weeks.They are using a conference centre for vaccines in the town I live in and talking to a lady working there they are doing 1800 vaccines a day, plus they two other temporary centres within 15 miles which is impressive stuff. Particularly when you think a few months ago some on here were insisting only one nurse per doctors surgery would be administering them.

Yep. My dad is getting his at Boyatt Wood, my mum in Millbrook, both are temporary vaccine centres that have been set up and not surgeries.

Just need to Europe to catch up and the chance of a foreign holiday could even be possible by the end of summer. Spain have said they want 70% of their population vaccinated before they open up to tourism again. God knows what’ll be left by then though, unemployment on the costa was running at 20-30% in the years before COVID alone.

34 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Well done. Yet another point whooshed over your head. The NHS set up dedicated vaccination centres exactly because the GP surgeries couldn't deliver the volume needed, proving my point not disproving it. I guess a job in sales didn't equip you for healthcare planning.  

Edited by buctootim

Look out for fake emails asking if you want a vaccine. I had one and they’re quite common apparently. 

Easy enough to spot. Just look for the spelling and grammatical errors. 

Also, any link asking for details or payment information would never be on an official email/sms. 

Make sure your elderly friends and relatives know this too. 

18 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Well done. Yet another point whooshed over your head. The NHS set up dedicated vaccination centres exactly because the GP surgeries couldn't deliver the volume needed, proving my point not disproving it. I guess a job in sales didn't equip you for healthcare planning.  

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus