Coronavirus

whelk

13 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Look out for fake emails asking if you want a vaccine. I had one and they’re quite common apparently. 

Easy enough to spot. Just look for the spelling and grammatical errors. 

Also, any link asking for details or payment information would never be on an official email/sms. 

Make sure your elderly friends and relatives know this too. 

The email address of sarukmanuludaali1458543@yahoo.com is a clue as well

20 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Well done. Yet another point whooshed over your head. The NHS set up dedicated vaccination centres exactly because the GP surgeries couldn't deliver the volume needed, proving my point not disproving it. I guess a job in sales didn't equip you for healthcare planning.  

As I remember it you were arguing against the Pfizer jab because they came in batches of 1000, most GP practices only had one or two nurses available and any greater roll out would be a drain on the NHS. It was other people telling you it could be done in town halls by army medics and vets.

• Like 2

Just now, Lighthouse said:

As I remember it you were arguing against the Pfizer jab because they came in batches of 1000, most GP practices only had one or two nurses available and any greater roll out would be a drain on the NHS. It was other people telling you it could be done in town halls by army medics and vets.

Precisely. Now he’s getting upset again and making personal comments in true Timmy style, bless him. 

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Not quite. Some months ago my partner's GP practice along with a few hundreds of others had been asked to create vaccination centres. She made the point that they would never be able to deliver the volume needed. Obviously the feedback from GPs was taken onboard because whilst some GP practices are being used most of the heavy lifting is being done by temporary centres set up for the purpose and DGHs   

8 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Not quite. Some months ago my partner's GP practice along with a few hundreds of others had been asked to create vaccination centres. She made the point that they would never be able to deliver the volume needed. Obviously the feedback from GPs was taken onboard because whilst some GP practices are being used most of the heavy lifting is being done by temporary centres set up for the purpose and DGHs   

I don’t think it’s a case of listening to GP feedback. With a national vaccination programme like this it was never going to be dumped on the NHS and their staff. Temporary mass vaccination centres were always going to be the solution.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t think it’s a case of listening to GP feedback. With a national vaccination programme like this it was never going to be dumped on the NHS and their staff. Temporary mass vaccination centres were always going to be the solution.

Who knows - maybe the vaccination centres were as a result of feedback or maybe they were planned all along. Either way they werent announced until after the GPs were approached to do the job and that's where the concerns over delivery capacity came from.   

I'm 52 but classed as 'CEV', so in priority group 4. Was hoping to get my invite by now but nothing received yet. However, I went onto the online booking system on the off-chance today and was able to book a slot for next week (at local Superdrug) Huzzah!

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm 52 but classed as 'CEV', so in priority group 4. Was hoping to get my invite by now but nothing received yet. However, I went onto the online booking system on the off-chance today and was able to book a slot for next week (at local Superdrug) Huzzah!

Both my mum and dad said that their invites (which came through the mail) arrived around 4 or 5 days after the date printed on the letter.

Edited by The Kraken

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Both my mum and dad said that their invites (which came through the mail) arrived around 4 or 5 days after the date printed on the letter.

Yep, there's clearly a lag between becoming eligible on the booking system and being told about it. My advice to anyone who is waiting for a letter / text is to try out the online system anyway. 

Edited by trousers

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

What's the online booking system? 

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, there's clearly a lag between becoming eligible on the booking system and being told about it. My advice to anyone who is waiting for a letter / text is to try out the online system anyway. 

Cheers. The person I was looking for isn't eligible yet but they must be soon. 

My parents both had it yesterday, my partner and a load of her team are booked for early next week as they're trying to get Special Needs kids back at school full time. 

A friend had it the other day because their friend works at a surgery who were otherwise going to have to chuck vaccines away. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

The email address of sarukmanuludaali1458543@yahoo.com is a clue as well

On initial look, the email appears to originate from the NHS. Hence my advice to inform older friends and relatives. Many of whom I know wouldn’t know to click on the origin part to see the address it actually came from. 

The one is received was different to the one you quoted Turkish so there are many around. 

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

It varies as far as I know. I think it depends on whether it’s handled by a GP surgery or vaccination centre.

Ok. I thought it was all by letter though. My mum has been in and out of her surgery for other issues and they told her it was by letter. As posted above, the link is there so you can check the booking site to see if you’re eligible.

7 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

On initial look, the email appears to originate from the NHS. Hence my advice to inform older friends and relatives. Many of whom I know wouldn’t know to click on the origin part to see the address it actually came from. 

The one is received was different to the one you quoted Turkish so there are many around. 

yes, it looks like the NHS But click on the address and it’ll bring up something like that. Same when you get emails from the tax office claiming they owe you a refund and click on this link to get it.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It varies as far as I know. I think it depends on whether it’s handled by a GP surgery or vaccination centre.

I think it all depends how much time the nurse has left at the end of a busy day dishing out vaccines.  If s/he's got time, s/he'll get some letters done, if s/he's a bit strapped for time because Doris was prattling on about her sore feet again, then s/he'll fire out a few texts.

My snap dragon had hers 2 weeks ago, my daughter had hers 10 days ago, my dad last weekend, & mum had hers on Thursday. I’m 56 & I’m the oldest in my family not to   have had one (daughter is nhs), that’s unbelievable really. Incredible how they’re rolling them out so quickly, they’ll obviously be a lag when the second ones are due, but at the moment it must have exceeded most people’s expectations. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Ok. I thought it was all by letter though. My mum has been in and out of her surgery for other issues and they told her it was by letter. As posted above, the link is there so you can check the booking site to see if you’re eligible.

Yeah, that NHS link says “When it's your turn, you'll be contacted by letter, text or email with information on how to book your appointment.”

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I think it all depends how much time the nurse has left at the end of a busy day dishing out vaccines.  If s/he's got time, s/he'll get some letters done, if s/he's a bit strapped for time because Doris was prattling on about her sore feet again, then s/he'll fire out a few texts.

Do you actually read what you write?

46 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yeah, that NHS link says “When it's your turn, you'll be contacted by letter, text or email with information on how to book your appointment.”

👍

Im sure I watched the news the other night and they were warning about the scams going round by email, and they said it was letters only. So either I’m misremembering or they got that wrong.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

A member of my family received a letter today for their 2nd Jab.  great news. 🤗

An elderly relative of mine isn't due theirs until the 8th of March after initially being promised it in early January. I get the change of strategy but it's a bit off to give someone a date for their second jab and then cancel it. This person is 92.

28 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

600,000 vaccinations in one day. Fair play to everyone involved in that.

Yep, phenomenal achievement. My folks had theirs today and the reassurance it's given them is fantastic. 

The deaths I think will take a while to come down. Maybe another month until we start to see a noticeable difference from vaccinations. Case rates are down massively I guess thanks to lockdown. Still very high though, so a long way to go, certainly no room for complacency.

The next target will be seeing just how effective the vaccine is in preventing deaths and severe illness amongst the elderly, the data just isn’t there at the moment to see.

We had our NHS letters today and I think we have appointments for both our doses but the online booking system is a pile of dogshit.

You choose your locations and date and time by put by the time you get to the ‘confirm’ page the appointments are no longer available so you have to go back to the start and enter it all again and by the time you get to ‘confirm’ the appointments are no longer available and...

I have received over a dozen text messages confirming my appointments followed by one saying that they’re cancelled. There is a web page which talks about reference numbers but the are blue text on a blue background and you wouldn’t see them if you didn’t know they were there. 

My wife got as far as the ‘confirm’ page but mistyped her contact details so didn’t confirm the booking but when she went back to the start it asked for booking references which she hadn’t been given yet so she was stuck in a lockout loop.

In the end we rang the 119 number and got put through to a young lady working from home on a bad phone line. That was painful but eventually we got there. It turned out that we did have bookings but no way of knowing what they were.

I have received five emails. The first two tell me that my second appointment has been cancelled. The third tells me my dates. The next two tell me that my second appointment has been cancelled. None of the four cancellation emails state the details of the appointment that it thinks has been cancelled.

Itis one of the most amateurish systems it has ever been my misfortune to meet.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus