Emma Raducanu

trousers

15 hours ago, whelk said:

Got everything going for her. Charismatic and seems very humble. Fit as and v decent tennis player. Tabloid editors dream. 

Bet they can't wait to destroy her ;).  Seriously though, watching her match yesterday she is extraordinarily good, very smart player and technically excellent.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

At least she grew up and went to school in the UK, unlike that Japanese/American skateboarder at the Olympics.

Yes that's when it gets a bit ridiculous. Didn't we have a female American sprinter a few years back who ran for GB because she couldn't get in the American team? 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes that's when it gets a bit ridiculous. Didn't we have a female American sprinter a few years back who ran for GB because she couldn't get in the American team? 

TBF it’s no different to people like Adams, Fox and Quashie suddenly being ‘Scottish’.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

TBF it’s no different to people like Adams, Fox and Quashie suddenly being ‘Scottish’.

I know it just feels a bit more dodgy when it's an individual sport rather than a team one. If you really don't have much of a connection to a country then it all seems a bit meaningless. I personally feel a much greater connection to athletes who've actually been brought up here rather than shipped in as an adult because they couldn't get a slot elsewhere. 

15 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

The Aussies had a Skateboarder win Gold...interviewed him and had a massive Yank accent. Commentators finished the interview with the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie' chant waiting for him to respond with the 'Oi Oi Oi'. He just looked at them blankly. Was a funny cringy moment 😅

Raducanu looks a good prospect, and no mean feat to get where she is. I'm sure she will be battling the top spots over the coming years.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Still not even dropped a set yet I believe and first qualifier to reach a Grand Slam final.

Not only that but she's absolutely destroying her opponents.  Did some quick maths, she's won 73% of games in the tournament proper, insane!

Interestingly, she's facing another teenage outsider in the final, could be looking at the future of women's tennis.

image.png.115a3ab70aa82c32203503b7ac19f55b.png

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Not only that but she's absolutely destroying her opponents.  Did some quick maths, she's won 73% of games in the tournament proper, insane!

Interestingly, she's facing another teenage outsider in the final, could be looking at the future of women's tennis.

image.png.115a3ab70aa82c32203503b7ac19f55b.png

Last final with two teenagers was Williams against Hingis... 

On 09/09/2021 at 11:05, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Bet they can't wait to destroy her ;).  Seriously though, watching her match yesterday she is extraordinarily good, very smart player and technically excellent.

Her skin is probably a bit dark for the Daily Mail readership.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whelk said:

Lycanu for me. Optimistic 

Has she has a baby with our new defender?

14 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I hope not considering we didn't win anything. 

They’ve basically got his nomination video for the ceremony already made. An upbeat montage of the goals we scored on the way to the final, a soundtrack of Three lions interspersed with commentary about England, "running riot in the quarter final," (they won’t mention it was Ukraine), beating Germany and winning the group without conceding. It’ll end with a tear-jerking slow-mo of Gareth comforting distraught players after the final and shots of fans crying in the stands. This is then followed by a voiceover explaining that he, "also had to lead the team through much darker times," accompanied by grainy images of headlines about racists tweets, then more slow-mo of the players kneeling and angry Hungarian fans, this time with a sepia filter.

I can’t see Raducanu beating that, personally. She hasn’t had the slow swell of support, built up over years of near misses that someone like Murray had. 

• Haha 1