Emma Raducanu

trousers

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Just incredible. So happy for her. What a humble and likeable person as well as talented.

Just imagine the support she will have at Wimbledon next year.

Shoe-in for SPOTY I reckon.

Really? You don’t think she will come 4th?

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Both of them incredibly erudite for two youngsters. Makes a nice change from that pathetic display from Serena a few years ago. Wonderful. 

Was that the game when she claimed the umpire was discriminating against her for being a woman, in an all women’s match? That was pretty pathetic. Fernandez seemed a bit miffed about the physio call although I’d forgive a teenager for that, playing in a grand slam final under sudden death pressure.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Was that the game when she claimed the umpire was discriminating against her for being a woman, in an all women’s match? That was pretty pathetic. Fernandez seemed a bit miffed about the physio call although I’d forgive a teenager for that, playing in a grand slam final under sudden death pressure.

That's the one. I just checked and it was 2018 so not even that long ago. Osaka seems quite self obsessed as well so it's nice to see these two girls appear so generous and personable. Like you say she's 18 and I can understand being annoyed about a stoppage. 

18 hours ago, whelk said:

Why do people give a fuck about SPOTY?  It’s pretty obvious she deserves it. Nothing comes close to that achievement

Especially give the fact she’s also has to overcome systemic ingrained racism to achieve what she has. Incredible stuff 

Breaking news she is favourite for SPOTY. I mean what’s a fucking grand slam win in 4th tournament to getting a BBC gong from Sue Barker?  The real trophy that Brits are obsessed with. Maybe that’s why Ronaldo came back to England in search of meeting Clare Balding?

Edited by whelk
  • Haha 1

"What a performance. So clutch under pressure. She is just a phenomenal talent. To deliver that performance is another level. She is an absolute champion. Mentally today she was outstanding."

What does clutch mean in this sentence? Is this kind of use recent?

On 11/09/2021 at 23:42, Lighthouse said:

It doesn't matter that it was an all womens match. She believed she was penalised far quicker than a man would have been. I'm not saying she was correct, I don't know, just saying how it can work in an all womens match.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lost 6-2, 6-1 to another teenager today. 

No one seems to care about tennis outside of majors though, certainly there was little fanfare for Cameron Norrie winning Indian Wells which was a massive achievement but he's neither young or female.

14 minutes ago, The Cat said:

No one seems to care about tennis outside of majors though, certainly there was little fanfare for Cameron Norrie winning Indian Wells which was a massive achievement but he's neither young or female.

Ah yes. Cameron Norrie - the new Brit.

He's British due to his parents coming from the UK. He has been brought up and learnt his tennis in South Africa and lives in New Zealand. 

Emma Raducanu is British because she was brought up and learnt her tennis over here. Her parents are Rumanian and Chinese. 

We will claim them all.

27 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

He's British due to his parents coming from the UK. He has been brought up and learnt his tennis in South Africa and lives in New Zealand. 

Emma Raducanu is British because she was brought up and learnt her tennis over here. Her parents are Rumanian and Chinese. 

We will claim them all.

What nationality do you think they are?

You can't claim Raducanu isn't British because her parents aren't and then claim Norrie isn't even though his parents are. They're both British citezens.

50 minutes ago, The Cat said:

What fanfare did you want? It was the main sports headlines. I saw live interviews with him on both BBC  ITV and Sky.

It's only about the 8th biggest tournament of the year (behind the 4 grand slams, Olympics, Davis Cup, end of year finals) so was hardly going to make main headlines. 

For what it's worth, Raducanu has clearly had bad advice re: the media. Hopefully she settles down and focuses on tennis over the coming years rather than getting too sucked in to the celebrity lifestyle. Sadly I have a suspicion her career has probably already peaked...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

We will claim them all.

Yeah she can’t be British look at her mum’s eyes. Fuck me.

11 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

We will claim them all.

Where is 'Rumania' (sic)?

11 hours ago, jawillwill said:

What nationality do you think they are?

You can't claim Raducanu isn't British because her parents aren't and then claim Norrie isn't even though his parents are. They're both British citezens.

What fanfare did you want? It was the main sports headlines. I saw live interviews with him on both BBC  ITV and Sky.

It's only about the 8th biggest tournament of the year (behind the 4 grand slams, Olympics, Davis Cup, end of year finals) so was hardly going to make main headlines. 

For what it's worth, Raducanu has clearly had bad advice re: the media. Hopefully she settles down and focuses on tennis over the coming years rather than getting too sucked in to the celebrity lifestyle. Sadly I have a suspicion her career has probably already peaked...

No idea why she didn't continue with the coach she had that helped her win in America. She's basically a kid still and I think she going to find it very hard to block things out. 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Yeah she can’t be British look at her mum’s eyes. Fuck me.

TBF imo I think you should represent your country of birth. Obviously every case is different (you could be born somewhere and then immediately move elsewhere for example) but there were cases recently of some female American athlete not being good enough to get in the American team so switching ellegiance to Britain. Konta as well should not be representing the UK really. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

No idea why she didn't continue with the coach she had that helped her win in America. She's basically a kid still and I think she going to find it very hard to block things out. 

Yeah seemed a terrible choice to chuck coach so quick, especially as she(they) didn’t have anyone lined up to replace.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep, she's rudderless at the moment, and it's pretty disrespectful to bin the guy that made you successful. I'm not an Anthony Joshua fan, but he's looking at other coaches to supplement his long term coach. That's gives him continuity, and scope for growth with new people and ideas. Hopefully she can get or be given some sound advice and direction.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Yep, she's rudderless at the moment, and it's pretty disrespectful to bin the guy that made you successful. I'm not an Anthony Joshua fan, but he's looking at other coaches to supplement his long term coach. That's gives him continuity, and scope for growth with new people and ideas. Hopefully she can get or be given some sound advice and direction.

The thing is though if Joshua did bin his coach he could be praised for being ruthless in the pursuit of victory. Radacanu come from nowhere with a new coach and then immediately bins them after the most successful debut ever. I think she's been badly advised. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

We’d never win anything again. All our kids are too fat to achieve at sports, we need imports, especially in tennis and cricket.

So what? It would make any success feel more hard earnt. If it was success at any cost then let's pay millions for the Brazilian team to play over here and claim British citizenship. I'm not a fan of importing sports people over here solely to give the bits someone to cheer. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

The thing is though if Joshua did bin his coach he could be praised for being ruthless in the pursuit of victory. Radacanu come from nowhere with a new coach and then immediately bins them after the most successful debut ever. I think she's been badly advised. 

Yep, true. My point in Joshua was more about respect to the lad who's been with him for years, and having continuity. I take your point though.

Raducanu has had a bit of a shocker. The coach situation isn't great. PR wise, the Romanian flag dress at the US open, then Union Jack coloured at the Romanian event, was all odd too. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

So what? It would make any success feel more hard earnt. If it was success at any cost then let's pay millions for the Brazilian team to play over here and claim British citizenship. I'm not a fan of importing sports people over here solely to give the bits someone to cheer. 

I get your point and some of these citizenships are a joke but some are quite legitimate. Given she has lived in Britain since 2yo Radacanu is British and to play as Canadian would be annoying. Far more British than Zola Budd

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, whelk said:

I get your point and some of these citizenships are a joke but some are quite legitimate. Given she has lived in Britain since 2yo Radacanu is British and to play as Canadian would be annoying. Far more British than Zola Budd

It's obviously a subjective thing and difficult to draw a line but I would personally like the rules to be stricter. Maybe those wanting to represent a nation other thab the one they were born in could appeal to some sort of board to make that decision. I consider it incredibly unfair for example that European nations hoover up many of the major African talents in football which deprives them of a better chance of winning something. 

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's obviously a subjective thing and difficult to draw a line but I would personally like the rules to be stricter. Maybe those wanting to represent a nation other thab the one they were born in could appeal to some sort of board to make that decision. I consider it incredibly unfair for example that European nations hoover up many of the major African talents in football which deprives them of a better chance of winning something. 

I broadly agree but not birth, as Raducanu was too young as a toddler to remember living anywhere else to want to represent it. Maybe up to say starting secondary school or equivalent? Ben Stokes even with strong NZ family links and born there, moved to the UK aged 12 and sounds like a Cumbrian where his late dad Ged played rugby league for Workington. He is a very English type genuine all rounder in our heritage eg Botham, Flintoff. 

It’s the Caddick, Rusedski, Budd type examples where I think 🤔 and it doesn’t quite feel the same as say if Henman had reached the US Open final or Raducanu’s first grand slam. The earlier three examples is where they’ve switched as full adults.

I do get concerned for West Indies and other smaller cricket nations when big ones like England are scouting their best young talent as teenagers. 

Mind you, I cheered KP’s Ashes winning hundred and loved watching him bat live so we all have the hypocrite in us! 

Edited by saint1977

• 6 months later...
22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Now she is clearly a 'one hit wonder' are we agreeing she's Romanian and not English?

Yep. She can be Britain's finest if/when she gets her act together. 

12 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

One hit wonder?

You do know she is still only 19 and has had injury problems recently, right?

Sorry, I must have missed her other win(s), I thought she'd only won once...

19 is over the hill these days, washed up, injury prone.  If she was a Saints player she'd be benched and then sold, cut your losses.

• 1 month later...
On 25/05/2022 at 18:43, Sheaf Saint said:

One hit wonder?

You do know she is still only 19 and has had injury problems recently, right?

And had about 59 coaches in 3 weeks.

Sod her. She irritated me by sacking the coach who helped her win her ONE title, poorly advised, but a succession of coaches since indicates problems, probably ego, whether her or family. 

On 29/06/2022 at 22:20, Patrick Bateman said:

And had about 59 coaches in 3 weeks.

Sod her. She irritated me by sacking the coach who helped her win her ONE title, poorly advised, but a succession of coaches since indicates problems, probably ego, whether her or family. 

The coach she 'sacked' was on a temporary contract which wasn't extended. He has his own interests with other up and coming players and a school which take up a lot of his time.

While I'm sure he'd have been more than open to continuing to coach Raducanu, that would have meant making sacrifices on his part to commit to a full time role, so the split wasn't entirely one way, but I guess that wouldn't have sold as many papers. It's certainly not unusual for tennis players to try different coaches at the start of their career, but most don't have anywhere near as bright a spotlight on them.

Between injuries, catching Covid, and having been on the professional circuit for barely more than a year, no one would be batting an eyelid at her results had she not caught lightning in a bottle and become the first tennis player in history to win as a qualifier. It took seven years for Murray to win his first major before going on to become one of Britain's most successful tennis players.

Dealing with that sort of meteroic rise wouldn't be easy for anyone, but it seems to me that at this point, people are mostly complaining that she's not caught lightning in a bottle for a second time (before she's even had a chance to repeat it at the same tournament) and complaning that she should have done things differently so that she did.

• Like 1