Andorra v England

alehouseboys

8 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

but...(didn't think I needed to repeat myself)....I like to see the men’s and women’s game kept separate

Simply this.

Some people just try too hard to be offended.

I'm not offended; but aren't mens' and womens' games already separate?  ie played in separate games, often at different venues, in different competitions.   Are you saying you'd like the womens' games to get less media coverage?

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

You mean like the interest he showed when coming off the bench against West Ham and hitting the post and having a header cleared off the line? As compared to the interest of our other strikers who rarely look like scoring or giving opposition defenders much to worry about. It is clear this lad has something about him and he needs games. He won't score goals warming the bench and watching the rest toil away.

I’m paraphrasing Ralph, he has, more than once, publicly questioned his attitude. He does have something about him, I am aware you are a big fan, I don’t disagree with you that he is potentially something special, but I don’t think we figure in his plans. 

30 minutes ago, austsaint said:

I'm not offended; but aren't mens' and womens' games already separate?  ie played in separate games, often at different venues, in different competitions.   Are you saying you'd like the womens' games to get less media coverage?

They should get media coverage proportional to the interest. That’s fair.

How pointless are these games? Last night was little more than a training session for Englands back up players against a country with a population smaller than Basingstoke. Between them and the San Marino games its a complete waste of time.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How pointless are these games? Last night was little more than a training session for Englands back up players against a country with a population smaller than Basingstoke. Between them and the San Marino games its a complete waste of time.

Think you could make a case for qualifying qualifiers. So, these sort of teams have to qualify for the a much smaller qualifying comp perhaps? Maybe make it 8 groups and top 2 go through. There are currently 60 teams qualifying with maybe 10 of the non league standard. 8 groups of 5 takes 20 of these teams out unless they qualify. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

but...(didn't think I needed to repeat myself)....I like to see the men’s and women’s game kept separate

Simply this.

Why does having a female ref have anything to do with keeping the mens and women's game separate?

3 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Simply this.

Because you still haven't given a reason why you don't want female officials of commentators in the men's game. All you've done is stated you don't want them. Why have you decided against them based on gender rather than ability?

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I do primarily agree but then I do think sovereign/recognised nations like San Marino, Gibraltar, Andorra, Kosovo, Faroe Islands etc etc do all deserve a chance to play the likes of Italy, Germany, Spain, France, England etc etc given that we now have the Nations League for that anyway

I know the Asian model has first round / second rounds for qualifying, but then I'm not sure we need to do that when we have 12-14 countries qualify for the WC (far more than other confederations).

I'd love to see some more diverse games though tbh, other than WCs we never get the chance to play other nations like USA, South Korea, Australia, Nigeria, any of the South American nations etc etc, in a globalised world would love to see some more diverse match ups. Maybe we could adopt a first or second round system to increase these types of friendly fixtures - even 1 friendly away every year to Japan or something would be unreal. 

Anyone responding please don't mention climate change.

55 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Think you could make a case for qualifying qualifiers. So, these sort of teams have to qualify for the a much smaller qualifying comp perhaps? Maybe make it 8 groups and top 2 go through. There are currently 60 teams qualifying with maybe 10 of the non league standard. 8 groups of 5 takes 20 of these teams out unless they qualify. 

Me and my mate said that last night. It makes sense. It’d make it quite competitive for those countries too rather than just playing to keep the score down every time they play. 

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

I guess the issue with this would be finding the time to schedule the qualifying qualifiers and then the countries that do get through would still end up being cannon fodder anyway.

Maybe another idea keeping with your theme is to group the sort of crap teams together, with 2 spots available for the group winners in the finals tournament. It’d give the likes of Andorra, San Marino etc a realistic chance to feature in a major competition.

5 hours ago, austsaint said:

there are very few sports where you encounter men AND women playing in the same event.

Equestrian sports - of course - and also mixed doubles in tennis.  Any more ? 

However,  I thought the female ref.  in the Andorra v. England game did a good job - despite the plethora of yellow cards.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

....and even playing them against  " England's B team "  they did no better.  

A full England team starting with Kane, Sterling and Grealish might have clocked up double figures by HT.

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

I do primarily agree but then I do think sovereign/recognised nations like San Marino, Gibraltar, Andorra, Kosovo, Faroe Islands etc etc do all deserve a chance to play the likes of Italy, Germany, Spain, France, England etc etc given that we now have the Nations League for that anyway

I know the Asian model has first round / second rounds for qualifying, but then I'm not sure we need to do that when we have 12-14 countries qualify for the WC (far more than other confederations).

I'd love to see some more diverse games though tbh, other than WCs we never get the chance to play other nations like USA, South Korea, Australia, Nigeria, any of the South American nations etc etc, in a globalised world would love to see some more diverse match ups. Maybe we could adopt a first or second round system to increase these types of friendly fixtures - even 1 friendly away every year to Japan or something would be unreal. 

Anyone responding please don't mention climate change.

World wide world cup qualifiers would be really good, a logistical challenge that may be difficult to overcome in terms of the football calender. Also we have a federal governance structure, with all of them rightly wanting to promote their own region in terms of number of their number of world cup places. So in this climate change of this nature isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It would be more interesting and fairer and the Europeans and South Americans could prove that they deserve their number of places that they get.

8 hours ago, austsaint said:

I see; so your assessment of the International round up is our JWP is a super player but our Broja is an impact sub at League 2 level.  Hmmm.

That's not what I said at all. Sorry if you are unable to read English and comprehend English properly..... Keep trying though. x

9 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Could any of our other strikers have scored the goal he got yesterday? Just because he did little in a game he started against Sheffield Utd you claim he is possibly best used as an impact sub. Our other strikers also do diddly squat when starting because the service is poor or non-existent. Out of all of them only Broja looks capable of getting a goal out of nothing so for that reason alone he should start.

Could any of our other strikers score a goal from the edge of the penalty area? I think so yes. Different angle but Arma did so at Everton. Who would have thought Che capable of a 40 yarder against Man City? Not saying either of world beaters, but both have proved to be capable of scoring goals from distance and goals from tight angles. You are correct that a big problem has been providing them with the service to do so. Another problem has been calibre of defender and goalkeeper they have faced in our matches thus far. Really hoping for a far better return from all in the next 7 matches.

Aside from that, I didn't 'claim' he was best used as an impact sub at all. The use of a '?' indicates that a question has been posed. Ergo, I posed the question that he is maybe best used in that role at this stage of his career. The fact that both his current club and country managers, who get to see him train on a daily basis, use him that way would suggest it is. Maybe they are wrong. All I know is he has started 2 matches this season. Scored 2 goals in one (against League 2 opposition) and did nothing of note in the other (against Championship opposition). He has also scored 4 times for his country after being brought on as a 2nd half sub, and came very close to scoring (twice) when similarly used against West Ham. I am sure, before too long, we will get to see him start a league match for Saints. When he does I hope he scores a hat-full. Not ready to write off our other strikers yet though.

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

You can't be 'half Jewish', you are either Jewish or not.

Technically of course you are right but he had one parent who was Jewish and one who wasn’t so he grew up with two religions which is why he calls himself half Jewish. He is an atheist anyway so I don’t think we need worry about his description of himself too much. 

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

World wide world cup qualifiers would be really good, a logistical challenge that may be difficult to overcome in terms of the football calender. Also we have a federal governance structure, with all of them rightly wanting to promote their own region in terms of number of their number of world cup places. So in this climate change of this nature isn't likely to happen anytime soon. It would be more interesting and fairer and the Europeans and South Americans could prove that they deserve their number of places that they get.

Definitely... imagine if the England supporters travel club got to have big trips like South Sudan or Afghanistan away ;) 

I'd probably also be interested in a Europa League version of a world cup in the summer, just to see more match ups or nations like China/India involved (I am not a fan of the biennial world cups though) 

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Technically of course you are right but he had one parent who was Jewish and one who wasn’t so he grew up with two religions which is why he calls himself half Jewish. He is an atheist anyway so I don’t think we need worry about his description of himself too much. 

So in a rather bizarre attempt to appear virtuous what you actually meant was you’ve got an atheist mate who has a Jewish parent rather than having a good friend who is half Jewish, right? 🤣 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

Isn’t it mad how a team like Andorra can bring on a 42 year old CB for the best part of 70 minutes, against a top, top team like England and still not lose 9-0. 

Puts into perspective how bad those 2 results are, doesn’t it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

Isn’t it mad how a team like Andorra can bring on a 42 year old CB for the best part of 70 minutes, against a top, top team like England and still not lose 9-0. 

Puts into perspective how bad those 2 results are, doesn’t it. 

Good point. I remember another poster used to often make good points like this about how awful our 9-0 results were off the back of some international minnow not losing 9-0 in a game. I can’t remember who it was as not seen him post for ages. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Good point. I remember another poster used to often make good points like this about how awful our 9-0 results were off the back of some international minnow not losing 9-0 in a game. I can’t remember who it was as not seen him post for ages. 

A sensible he/she/they then, it seems. A loss to the forum if they’re no longer here. 

In their absence, im happy to provide a A regular reminder to the Ralph fan club, how absolutely diabolical you need to be tactically to not prevent a team scoring 9 against you. 

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

A sensible he/she/they then, it seems. A loss to the forum if they’re no longer here. 

In their absence, im happy to provide a A regular reminder to the Ralph fan club, how absolutely diabolical you need to be tactically to not prevent a team scoring 9 against you. 

Possibly another one of the good posters who don’t bother any more and you can see why 

fortunately for us you seem to be able slip seamlessly into their shoes. One of the great things about this place is the conveyor belt of talented new posters who bare no resemblance at all to former posters yet share identical views and make very similar points. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Still not denying you are them yet still continuing to refer to them in the third party then? Strange man/woman/non-binary being.....

And no, Andorra playing a 42 year old during their match with England has no bearing, nor gives any perspective, on anything that may have occurred in any other match between two other different teams at any point in time.

• Like 2