Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

President Zelensky prior to departing for the US answered questions, including about whether any territory might be ceded for peace. This is a translation of his reply, ( from CBS news )

"Today you and I… you said it to me… you saw me awarding people \[medals\]. \[Well\] today is a day like that. A week ago, I gave awards to parents \[of soldiers who have been killed\]. There were 24 families of the dead. There was a woman. She was with three children. There were parents, very old. They could barely walk, and they had only one son. One of the women was pregnant. She arrived holding a baby in her arms. And she was pregnant. And that baby will never see… what should I tell them? They all died so we could say, "It's okay, \[Russia\,] you can take it all." It's a difficult job. You understand me, right? Giving awards to people whose faces show their whole world has collapsed. And all I can give them, all I can give them – is victory".

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

On 23/09/2023 at 00:19, skintsaint said:

Apparently hit the Black Sea Commander as well. 

Among many others suspected.

Seems Ukrainian intelligence got wind of an extremely high level meeting.

This may well have been an extensive decapitation attack, possibly an unbelievably successful one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Apparently not

The video he apparently appears in? Feels more like Russia trying to fabricate proof of life than proof of life to me at the moment.

Nothing confirming he’s dead yet, but Russia trying that leans more towards him actually being dead for me than if they’d remained silent.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

The video he apparently appears in? Feels more like Russia trying to fabricate proof of life than proof of life to me at the moment.

Nothing confirming he’s dead yet, but Russia trying that leans more towards him actually being dead for me than if they’d remained silent.

Opposite for me. Russia silence would suggest he's dead. Ukraine over optimism for me, now they are talking about clarifying info over possible death, which hardly seems like they had hard evidence in the 1st place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Opposite for me. Russia silence would suggest he's dead. Ukraine over optimism for me, now they are talking about clarifying info over possible death, which hardly seems like they had hard evidence in the 1st place.

It’d be the easiest thing in the world if he was still alive for Russia to score a huge propaganda victory by having him speak and reference the attack he supposedly died in, casting huge doubt on Ukranian/Western intelligence.

A Zoom meeting feed of unknown time/origin appearing in a video of a meeting, itself with apparent evidence of being spliced, doesn’t do that nearly so well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

Why has everyone forgotten about Russia v Ukraine, is there another big match on or something?

Russia attempted a massive attack against Avdiivka the last few days. By all accounts it didn’t go well for them. They’ve lost dozens of tanks and even more personnel carriers for no gain, not to mention hundreds of troops per day.

One of their newest patrol ships went to say hello to the Moskva, although Russia seem to be claiming it was a Russian naval mine that sunk it. They’ve also pulled back their navy from Sevastapol following the threat posed by successful Ukrainian strikes there.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Russia attempted a massive attack against Avdiivka the last few days. By all accounts it didn’t go well for them. They’ve lost dozens of tanks and even more personnel carriers for no gain, not to mention hundreds of troops per day.

One of their newest patrol ships went to say hello to the Moskva, although Russia seem to be claiming it was a Russian naval mine that sunk it. They’ve also pulled back their navy from Sevastapol following the threat posed by successful Ukrainian strikes there.

Getting a halfwit like Jonny to understand news cycles will be tough. He is in a cult

• Haha 1

I am wondering if Russia called up one of their few friends, Iran, asking if they knew anyone with some grievances, Hamas, that could cause trouble to a non Nato western aligned state, Israel, to distract the United States from continuing support to Ukraine. And letting them win their war. Seems convenient timing that a large Russian offensive attempt is launched a few days after Israel kicks off. Because pulling all the necessary equipment and hiding it away is not the work of a moment, but something that would have to be planned.

This clear Russian failure is why Ukraine haven't tried their own blitzkrieg attempt but using tactics more reminiscent of British bite and hold operations from WW II.

• Haha 1

Russian-occupied airfield in Berdyansk hit, official line says a SOF operation destroyed at least nine helicopters and various other military hardware. There's speculation it's the first use of ATACMS.

Either way looks like being one of the worst days in Russian Air Force history.

Visual confirmation now of 24 helicopters destroyed in the first ATACMS strikes, 15 of which were KA-52s, out of an estimated 30-50 KA-52s still flying for Russia.

Also they will now need to base far further away, resulting in far longer and riskier missions, more maintenance required using resources already restricted by sanctions, and less capacity to pose a threat due to additional fuel/time requirements.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He aint all wrong though

If you believe that aggression and genocide should be rewarded and that Putin should be allowed to retain the occupied territories. All that achieves is a temporarily frozen conflict before Russia flexes it's expansioinst muscle again.

Edited by badgerx16

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Ahhh, the old, "if we don’t offer any kind of fight against the aggressors everything will be fine and we will have peace," argument, which has always played out brilliantly, throughout history.

Whilst I agree to some extent, we don't really have an end game here as yet. Without allowing Russia to save some sort of face it's not likely to end well. Leaving Russia with nothing to lose isn't a good idea either. Maybe they will assassinate Putin before something really terrible happens but if not then I'm not sure how this ends. 

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Whilst I agree to some extent, we don't really have an end game here as yet. Without allowing Russia to save some sort of face it's not likely to end well. Leaving Russia with nothing to lose isn't a good idea either. Maybe they will assassinate Putin before something really terrible happens but if not then I'm not sure how this ends. 

It’s Russia that needs to consider what their end game is. All the time they continue staying in Ukraine, things are getting worse for them.

The only option Russia have that will actually improve things for them is conceding.

40 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

It’s Russia that needs to consider what their end game is. All the time they continue staying in Ukraine, things are getting worse for them.

The only option Russia have that will actually improve things for them is conceding.

They obviously aren't going to concede defeat are they. That would mean certain death for Putin for one. I just think it's worth bearing in mind that imposing such a crushing defeat and then conditions on Germany after WW1 definitely contributed to the strength of feeling that was at least partially responsible for WW2. IMO allowing Russia to save face in some way may be the smart thing to do (which is what I assume Elon Musk is going on about) otherwise we may risk things escalating in a few years of bad feeling and simmering tensions. 

46 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

If it is getting worse for Russia, it is horrific for Ukrainians. The standard of the Ukrainian conscripts has fallen dramatically. They have lost in excess of 120-150k troops, and whilst Russia has probably lost as many (or more), they have, in comparison, an infinite supply to the meat grinder. 

Edited by AlexLaw76

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

They obviously aren't going to concede defeat are they. That would mean certain death for Putin for one. I just think it's worth bearing in mind that imposing such a crushing defeat and then conditions on Germany after WW1 definitely contributed to the strength of feeling that was at least partially responsible for WW2. IMO allowing Russia to save face in some way may be the smart thing to do (which is what I assume Elon Musk is going on about) otherwise we may risk things escalating in a few years of bad feeling and simmering tensions. 

Alternatively, settling with Russia actually gaining something will only encourage them to push further a few years down the line.