Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

It's just incorrect to say there isn't a league table now. There is, it's here, published on the official Premier League website. Newsflash: It's not 1991 anymore.

https://www.premierleague.com/matchweek/7831/table

Teams with zero points and zero goal difference are above us in the table. Its not that complicated.

Don’t be such a Wally. It’s not complicated, it’s just brain dead stupid. 

22 hours ago, saintant said:

The last 15 games does that to you unless you don't give a shit of course.

Where did I say I didn't give a shit? We lost a game against a side who are expected to finish top 4 at their place with a bunch of young new players and with a bit of a tradition of a crap result in the opening day. Last season our season fizzled out due to being safe very early on. I'll have a little mantrum about things when we lose a game I expect us to get something out of - perhaps you should be a bit more realistic? We are what we are - a lower half team having a majorly transitional season. It will be shite for a while yet.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Don’t be such a Wally. It’s not complicated, it’s just brain dead stupid. 

No, you're just wrong to say that there is "no such thing as the league table at the moment". There is, and it's been that way for at least a decade. At least.

It gets published from the start, not after three games which is the old way of doing it. Published in papers and on TV and so on. Official on the league website and everywhere.

It's not complicated, you're just wrong.

There are a few good points to take away from yesterday, but not many.

Bazunu did a good job of avoiding another 9-0 , but our defenders still aren't talking to each other. 

I've waited since the window opened to see us get in a good CF, someone with a goals scoring history

but we can only hope that we can find " a real striker ", before the window closes and not leave it all to Prowsey.

At the moment it looks like we are going to be "scraping the barrel " before the end of the month.

Although we had a bad goals against record last season, we also finished with 14 draws(?), when an

extra goal in a few of those games might have given us a top half finish. 

I suppose the only consolation today is to see that we are only just behind Man Utd - on goal difference. (haha)

Edited by david in sweden

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Says  the bloke who thinks teams that haven’t played are either top or bottom of the league. 

Are you really that thick that you completely miss the point that I’m making? How can any team that hasn’t played have any place in the table?

Yes, you must be.

46 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

No, you're just wrong to say that there is "no such thing as the league table at the moment". There is, and it's been that way for at least a decade. At least.

It gets published from the start, not after three games which is the old way of doing it. Published in papers and on TV and so on. Official on the league website and everywhere.

It's not complicated, you're just wrong.

None of that is true. And I suspect you know it. 

There is no such thing as a league table at the moment whatever the simpletons might think. How could there be when six reams hadn’t even kicked a ball. How can there be when half the teams haven’t had a game at home?

Good grief, the world has gone collectively stupid.

21 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

We need to send all our defenders to Ukraine for a week and those that survive play.

Our forwards need to be sent to the red light district and those who can score can play.

I’m fairly confident this is one of the worst posts Ive ever read on here and I survived the Alpine Saint years

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

There is no such thing as a league table at the moment whatever the simpletons might think. How could there be when six reams hadn’t even kicked a ball. How can there be when half the teams haven’t had a game at home?

Watch Match Of The Day from last night you absolute div.

6 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What you are trying to say, I believe very badly, is that the league table is meaningless. That I can agree with.

However ... there is an official league table and even if some teams have not kicked a ball at that point in time, they have a place and some are/were above us.

Edited by Dragon_man
  • Like 2

Although MOTD only showed the goals, after watching that and also watched Fulham v Liverpool and saw how well Fulham played I consider we will be fighting to stay in the Prem this year. Hasenhuttle's defence planning is similar to the French Generals who relied on the Maginot Line,

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

What you are trying to say, I believe very badly, is that the league table is meaningless. That I can agree with.

However ... there is an official league table and even if some teams have not kicked a ball at that point in time, they have a place and some are/were above us.

Using the early season league table as a guide to form is also a highly-dubious pursuit. 

For decades past I've noted that often one newly-promoted side may start in the top 6, but then ends up fighting relegation.

I try to avoid any sort of " long-term analysis " until at least game 6 or 7, even then teams who start in the drop zone may well survive OK.

Fortunately, Saints usually survive in the end, but like last season we have a very tough start to the campaign. 

13 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I'm afraid you are wrong, yes it has less long term significance but it's there as a record of where we are now, the worst team in the prem.

23 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Perhaps fans at the game can tell me, did the new assistant go into the technical area or was he told to sit on the bench like people have in the past so that the dictator has full control talking to the players??

OldNick

I believe you make a very good point about our Manager. I've watched him quite closely over the last couple of seasons and it seems to me that he likes to dominate our technical area and insists that no one is to join him. Other managers with huge egos come to mind here.....the " Special One " for one.

Last season many on here who supported Ralph, bemoaned the fact that he desperately wanted support from an inadequate coaching staff. So, now he has new staff and not once at Spurs did anyone on the bench deem to join him to have a word when it was all going badly wrong.

Now Ralph clearly has an ego. And it is my honest opinion....and I have no evidence to back it up....that Ralph and Ralph alone insists that he bestrides that technical area in all his glory ! Be it in extremely tight track suit trousers or natty waistcoat with pockets to keep all his bibs and bobs ! 😇 

You see many Premier League managers turn to their staff and have a quick chat. You aslo see staff get up sometimes under their own volition to have a word with the Manager who is standing in the techical area.

In all the games I have attened, I have never seen that happen with Ralph. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ryan Sessegnon: "Even for the goal today, he literally told me get in the back post and you will score. That helped me today. He said Kyle Walker-Peters is quite small at the back post so if a ball goes in make sure you are there to head it in.

"Literally just before the warm-up he came to me and I took it on board and I don’t think you guys saw but two minutes before that a ball went in and I missed the opportunity to get in there, so I was very angry at that situation. When the ball came in again I had to be there."

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/players/ryan-sessegnon-perisic-tottenham-southampton-24696547

16 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Ryan Sessegnon: "Even for the goal today, he literally told me get in the back post and you will score. That helped me today. He said Kyle Walker-Peters is quite small at the back post so if a ball goes in make sure you are there to head it in.

"Literally just before the warm-up he came to me and I took it on board and I don’t think you guys saw but two minutes before that a ball went in and I missed the opportunity to get in there, so I was very angry at that situation. When the ball came in again I had to be there."

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/players/ryan-sessegnon-perisic-tottenham-southampton-24696547

I’ve never been a great believer in ‘short’ full backs. They need to use the black arts if they’re going to put an attacker off his stride.