Rate Saints business in the Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Barsiem

Rate the Summer 2022 Transfer Window  

221 members have voted

1. 1. How well do you think Saints did in the transfer window

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

My 8 may have been a bit optimistic. But then good old Ralphie boy has had long enough to drain the life out of them now, so who knows?

The window was alright, all the new signings look decent, although I remain to be convinced about Bazunu but only two of them started last night. I guess they all still have a lot to do to learn out game 🙄

I new left back looked good by very small, he made a tackle and bounced of the Villa player ending up on the floor. 

Aribo for me is miles better than Elyanoussi and should be starting where he plays. If he was fit enough to play 45 minutes he’s fit enough to start. And who knows what’s going on with Maitland-Niles. Not even in the squad because he needs to learn our game? Surely it’d help by being in the squad listening to super Ralph’s wisdom. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Turkish said:

The window was alright, all the new signings look decent, although I remain to be convinced about Bazunu but only two of them started last night. I guess they all still have a lot to do to learn out game 🙄

I new left back looked good by very small, he made a tackle and bounced of the Villa player ending up on the floor. 

Aribo for me is miles better than Elyanoussi and should be starting where he players. If he was fit enough to play 45 minutes he’s fit enough to start. And who knows what’s going on with Maitland-Niles. Not even in the squad because he needs to learn our game? Surely it’d help by being in the squad listening to super Ralph’s wisdom. 

Don't forget, ABK needed to miss the Spurs game as he had to 'learn our game'.  Of course, that was horse-shit but hey ho

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Don't forget, ABK needed to miss the Spurs game as he had to 'learn our game'.  Of course, that was horse-shit but hey ho

Yeah and came in next week and been our best player since. Ralph must have worked his magic on the training ground imagine how bad he’d be without that extra week to learn our game

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah and came in next week and been our best player since. Ralph must have worked his magic on the training ground imagine how bad he’d be without that extra week to learn our game

Someone on the fringes of the German National Team, who has top level German experience, would have been 'ruined' having to face Spurs.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 03/09/2022 at 17:09, John B said:

I have no idea why everybody thinks it was a great window when we have A Armstrong and Adams as our principal scorers

I do not dispute that the players we have brought are not great but without a top goal scorer I still think we are going to struggle

wise man...

This thread generally highlights that fans really have no idea

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

wise man...

This thread generally highlights that fans really have no idea

I don’t know, it’s all clouded with emotion and blind optimism. Rationality goes out of the window when supporting your team is a life long passion, possibly even more so if it’s your hometown club.

I gave it 8, because I probably hoped it was an eight.  seems ridiculous in hindsight.

What I never understood at the time was many fans were getting excited that we were doing deals and spending money but I rarely saw any reasoning explaining why that player would make us a better team. None of them were really proven, some hadn't even played adult football or if so lower leagues. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The window was awful because the absolutely crucial signing we needed we didn't get. I said as much at the time. Also signing Bazunu was idiotic considering the keepers that were available. Building the team around an inexperienced young keeper is an awful idea. 

I thought Bazunu was a great signing. I no longer think this.

• Like 1

Tbf it wasn’t just the fans who thought we had a great window.  Pundits did too.  

I still think we had a very good window.  Lavia and ABK have been undoubted successes.  Edioze has been good, DCC & Aribo ok, Bazanu unfortunately is going downhill fast ala Gunn.  The problem is the team tactically is sh*te.  First under Ralph and now Jones is continuing in the same vein

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Aribo another horrific car crash of a signing. Just terrible. 

Agree. What a let down he has been. Yet, he should still be starting in what is a woeful team. He's better than Elyounoussi and Djenepo who should have left this club years ago.

Edited by niceandfriendly

8 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Tbf it wasn’t just the fans who thought we had a great window.  Pundits did too.  

I still think we had a very good window.  Lavia and ABK have been undoubted successes.  Edioze has been good, DCC & Aribo ok, Bazanu unfortunately is going downhill fast ala Gunn.  The problem is the team tactically is sh*te.  First under Ralph and now Jones is continuing in the same vein

Lavia and Edozie have hardly played , if Lavia can get fit then yes good addition, but at the moment hard to argue we're actually stronger in any position than we were last season 

My 8/10 was too high, I wasn't happy with our lack of game changing forwards so in retrospect it should have probably been 5 or 6/10 at most.

We made some good signings. Lavia, ABK - good players. I find it hard to hang out our summer signings as I saw the logic in them, but what I don't understand is why the club thought this would be an environment for them to flourish when we're still relying on Adam flaming Armstrong and Che Adams to score the goals. 

Lavia and ABK can do great things in their respective positions, but if you have our two 'strikers' fluffing in the 6 yard box and Diallo falling over on his arse exposing the back 4 then it's all a moot point really. I'm not sure Gakpo alone would have made all the difference, so he did well to dodge the bullet here.

We're so short in CM, wide and ST for me. We'd struggle in the Championship with the options we have to play with there, that's the worrying thing and the club seem comfortable with that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2022 at 17:09, John B said:

I have no idea why everybody thinks it was a great window when we have A Armstrong and Adams as our principal scorers

I do not dispute that the players we have brought are not great but without a top goal scorer I still think we are going to struggle

Anybody like to comment why they thought it was a great window

• Like 2

Yeah bad predictions but I stand by bits of what I say. We did strengthen CB with DCC and ABK we just haven't seen much of DCC with all the chopping and changing of formations and the favouring of what should be our 4th choice CB (at best) Lyanco. Early games with Lavia showed he is a talent, we just pushed him too fast too soon. My concern was attack which has proven fact although based on previous clubs and stats we should have seen more of Aribo by now. 

On paper most of the players we signed seemed to be good acquisitions. But football isn't played on paper. We needed experience we didn't get. We needed a striker to play alongside Adams. Most importantly we should have let Ralph go at the end of last season and given a new manager plenty of time to mold the team to image. We wouldn't have Jones now had we done that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2022 at 10:32, sadoldgit said:

9/10 for me. The squad needed major surgery and it has mostly happened. We needed to sort out the defence as a priority and that had happened. Lots of exciting young talent in board and some experience with AMN. It’s a shame we didn’t manage to get the striker in but we do have players who can score. Very sad to see Ori go. He has been a brilliant signing for us but the timing is probably right. 

Lol. 

• Haha 1