Interview with the bosses.

ecuk268

39 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not really anything new there, regurgitation of what we know and have heard before.  Think the interview might have gone very differently if there wasn’t the Man City result to fall back on.

Pretty sure it wasn't live as they had snippets beforehand, so likely recorded before the game last night. I only heard the snippet of rasmus speaking on Jones so far. Along with Blackmore quoting them as saying we would be financially stable if relegated to the championship. How true that is remains to be seen but reassuring to hear at least. 

5 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Pretty sure it wasn't live as they had snippets beforehand, so likely recorded before the game last night. I only heard the snippet of rasmus speaking on Jones so far. Along with Blackmore quoting them as saying we would be financially stable if relegated to the championship. How true that is remains to be seen but reassuring to hear at least. 

As Ron said, it was recorded earlier today. They made a number of direct references to the Man City performance.

• Like 1

They are both comfortable public speakers so came across well, directly answered questions talking about long term strategy etc. apparently Carlos is like a Frank Lampard or Tim Cahill, and Ankerson basically took credit for this window (so I actually expect him to throw the kitchen sink at it). They did accept this window is about players who can make an immediate impact. Politicians answers about ‘adjusting the squad’ in Jan and strangely no questions or answers about the lack of striker. The Man City game was amazing timing for them, they mentioned it about 50 times. If we do go down and Ankerson and Semmens back up financial support and long term planning words with actions we’ll be OK. There was one classic Ankerson line on Jones ‘we got the best manager in the 6th biggest league’ when talking about risk. Hmmmm

• Like 2

summary

Exciting announcements to come in the coming weeks on the commercial and football side

Ankersen leading transfers this window but now DOF will hire a recruitment manager and their gig in future 

Romeu wanted to move back to Spain 

buy young players as they believe we need to take a long term view to be successful. Knew first year was a risk but believe we have some great young players and be stronger next year. 

Alcaraz is similar in style to Tim Cahill. Technically strong and aggressive, arrives at the right time in the box to score goals

want to make a few more additions 

Jones was appointed as some of the areas needed to improve was togetherness in the squad and defending, manager can put his stamp on the team, not dictated to by SR. Jones was the manager of the year in the championship which is sixth biggest league in Europe. Ticked a lot of boxes, was not a PR appointment but one for substance. 

If we do go down is a plan, owners committed to long term, good financial position whatever league we are in

nothing new but a bit reassuring things won’t go pop if we go down. Interesting about the togetherness of the squad under Ralph 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

It was recorded earlier today.

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

As Ron said, it was recorded earlier today. They made a number of direct references to the Man City performance.

Well I'll just shut up then 😂 That's what I get for commenting before listening.

• Haha 1

I don't think there was anything particularly new in the interview, but it's good to hear from them all the same (Rasmus in particular).

I haven't agreed with the criticism of Sports Republic this early, it's way too soon to throw rocks their way in terms of ''SR out!'' - as I've seen people say. Sure, we can criticise, we can have opinions, but they need to be allowed time to mould it in their image and fix what happens in front of them.

It would be naïve to think Southampton was a perfect and serene environment before Sports Republic came in, it may have been the intention to leave it alone as the assumption was that all is good, but maybe once they got under the hood they realised that standards across multiple area's internally were not up to scratch - so they have taken action on multiple fronts. 

Change takes time and change will always cause pain, and in football that's difficult as there is very often no time. Fans have no patience to start with and the media do fuel that to an extent, but my view is that they need time and just over a year isn't enough time to really see their vision born out. I'm 100% sure that being bottom of the PL wasn't in their plan, but I think it's fair to say that they are committed whatever the outcome. 

Everyone makes mistakes, and so have they. Quite obviously not sorting out that attacking area in the summer was a massive balls up, but they need to rectify that this window and by all accounts that is what they will do.  We can't sit here and demand owners that change and invest one minute and then sit here and moan when they do invest and change because it's caused a bit of a ripple. This club had become stale as hell over many, many years and there was always a risk that change would lead to some bumps along the road.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

What was said about this, given they backed ralph during dire performances for nearly a whole year

they basically said that what Ralph did was great but two errors that could be improved were squad togetherness and defending the box, they saw that as some of Jones strengths. I thought it was interesting as it had been said a few times before about this sort of thing on here.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

they basically said that what Ralph did was great but two errors that could be improved were squad togetherness and defending the box, they saw that as some of Jones strengths. I thought it was interesting as it had been said a few times before about this sort of thing on here.

players on the way out were pretty critical of the club and at times, including the standard of training.  Obvious Ralph just push players to one side, then in the team from no where

Obviously, could not have been much of an issue as they seemed happy with him (despite results being appalling) and sacked all his staff and gave him a new team...

Edited by AlexLaw76

This is something that needed to be done a couple of months back to hear detailed planning is going on whatever happens this season.

But and its a big one, the elephant in the room allowing Hasenhuttl to carry on this season despite so many stats that said it was over.

I mean who gets rid of the coaches and retains the manager ? 

I dont believe the current sitaution would be as bad if a new manager was sorted last summer. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This will appease fans for a short while, but not forever.

Some good answers, little bullshit. Intrigued as to what these “big announcements are” coming up - hoping it’s them confirming red and white stripes will return next season to go with a yellow and blue away kit - please!

Woah there!! Think you need to reign in your aspirations on the “Big announcement”. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Quite obviously not sorting out that attacking area in the summer was a massive balls up, but they need to rectify that this window and by all accounts that is what they will do. 

Was this 1000 pound gorilla actually mentioned in the interview? From the above accounts Blackmore didn't ask, and they didn't mention anything, about bringing in a front man this window, and admitting it was a balls up in the summer not doing so then.

13 hours ago, Wsaint said:

A £90m debt and a £114m+wage bill would need to be supported by a £48m parachute payment for two years. Relegation clauses in player contracts and player sales would be required to balance the books. It won't be pretty if we do down.

Yes it was a good and reassuring interview that showed they are aware of everything and don’t just sign there ignoring the fans concerns as some suggest. Shows they are planning for all situations but clearly trying to action now and here. Thanks Adam from Australia 

Edited by STEVEADAMS
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

As much as it was nice to hear from our long lost owners, I do miss the Cortese vision/dream.

The DVD, the new stadium, the planned infrastructure around the ground. 😇

Don't forget Rupert's vision for the catering.

Had he stayed we might have been the only stadium with Michelin stars. 

• Haha 1

It was a good interview I thought. Clearly listened to some of the criticisms and responded with some communication to the fans. Which is a good sign imo. 

If we don't beat Everton we'll still be in the mire. But they do at least seem committed. 

• Like 1