Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

coalman

29 minutes ago, JRM said:

Got to give Onuachu a go , new big money signing might remember what it's like to score, early days but I'm worried he's going to be another Carillo 

He at least has a decent goal scoring track record albeit in lesser leagues but then if was scoring a goal every other game in La Liga or Serie A he wouldnt be signing for us. Carillo was just a joke, the way the clowns on here tried to pretend he was a prolific goalscorer when he’s signed was hilarious. Got to give him a go and the other lad, can’t do any less than Armstrong and Elyanoussi 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He at least has a decent goal scoring track record albeit in lesser leagues but then if was scoring a goal every other game in La Liga or Serie A he would be signing for us. Carillo was just a joke, the way the clowns on here tried to pretend he was a prolific goalscorer when he’s signed was hilarious. Got to give him a go and the other lad, can’t do any less than Armstrong and Elyanoussi 

Jones harped on for weeks that we need to add potency/

When we signed them he said they will add potency so how can he not play the pair of them.

22 minutes ago, JRM said:

Got to give Onuachu a go , new big money signing might remember what it's like to score, early days but I'm worried he's going to be another Carillo 

Yeah. He probably needs to start tbf. I worry that he’s not the type of forward that can press and play aggressive front footed, high energy football, so if we’re going down that route then it’s probably Adams. 

But given we’ll play 5 at the back and “get it up to the big lad” he might as well play. Didn’t look great at heading vs Brentford though! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah. He probably needs to start tbf. I worry that he’s not the type of forward that can press and play aggressive front footed, high energy football, so if we’re going down that route then it’s probably Adams. 

But given we’ll play 5 at the back and “get it up to the big lad” he might as well play. Didn’t look great at heading vs Brentford though! 

Now Jones is doing it his way i expect us to be brilliant at defending the box, pressing, aggressive, all the things we've not been and i expect us to win comfortably

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Have a sneaking feeling he is going to do a Ralph and do the bare minimum to stop them pulling the trigger by a win Saturday which will be followed by 6 more lost games they simply haven't learnt from their mistakes 

Edited by Mr X

44 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Have a sneaking feeling he is going to do a Ralph and do the bare minimum to stop them pulling the trigger by a win Saturday which will be followed by 6 more lost games they simply haven't learnt from their mistakes 

remember Pellegrino? He did the same with Kruger and Reed admitting that every time they thought about firing him he got a positive result.  So we ended up being stuck with a lame duck manager for ages because he got one good result ever seven or so games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

remember Pellegrino? He did the same with Kruger and Reed admitting that every time they thought about firing him he got a positive result.  So we ended up being stuck with a lame duck manager for ages because he got one good result ever seven or so games.

its a crazy philosophy to stick with as one win in every seven is nailed on relegation form anyway 

If he dares to start bednarek, lyanco, Diallo and Elynoussi then there be mutiny before the game even kicks off. 

Its actually criminal how bad Diallo has become. I liked him when he first joined. His performances have nosedived with the teams performances. Never known a player to be hooked off at HT so many times as he has been. 

He needs a fresh start to revive his career. I feel sorry for him as it's not purely down to him. He's not a CDM and has lacked the right teammates to compliment his style. His partnership with JWP was awful for the both of them, neither thrived in it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

If he dares to start bednarek, lyanco, Diallo and Elynoussi then there be mutiny before the game even kicks off. 

Its actually criminal how bad Diallo has become. I liked him when he first joined. His performances have nosedived with the teams performances. Never known a player to be hooked off at HT so many times as he has been. 

He needs a fresh start to revive his career. I feel sorry for him as it's not purely down to him. He's not a CDM and has lacked the right teammates to compliment his style. His partnership with JWP was awful for the both of them, neither thrived in it. 

5.3-2

Bree, Bednarek, Lyanco, Salisu, Djenepo

Diallo JWP Ellyanousi

Adams Armstrong

Good solid lads, Janny B at the back, Lyancy there for his passion and get stuck in, Chedder and Djenny down the flanks, get it into Ads and let the good little un AdsA pick up the flick ons. Get stick in, dont mess about it with, get it forward early, get stuck in, aggression and passion wins matches not this fanny about with it. If it's in their area it aint in ours, get it in the mixer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hi everyone. First post. Thanks for accepting me!! Do any of you think if we lose to Wolves, which, if Jones doesn't change things I think we will lose, do you think he will be sacked after this one? Or will the board do what they said in the fans forum and stand by him. I'm sorry to say it but it will take a miracle (or a manager who knows tactics and formations)....to keep us up this season!!

10 minutes ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

Hi everyone. First post. Thanks for accepting me!! Do any of you think if we lose to Wolves, which, if Jones doesn't change things I think we will lose, do you think he will be sacked after this one? Or will the board do what they said in the fans forum and stand by him. I'm sorry to say it but it will take a miracle (or a manager who knows tactics and formations)....to keep us up this season!!

Hold on I’ll get my Chrystal ball and get back to you…….. nope not even that can decipher the collective minds of our board - Jones should not be here now imho.

welcome BTW

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Swils said:

Presser on now.  Live via Saints website.  

He's a lot calmer than his last presentation. Which is a positive.

- He says we believe in what we do.
- He resisted some chances to answer fan criticism
- He says the results aren't good enough
- He says he did take responsibility at the weekend
- He says the team is strong tactically
- Just mentioned god giving him strength

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Would appreciate any quotes posted on here as in meetings most of the afternoon. Cheers 

I've had it on in the background whilst working, so haven't picked up loads of interesting quotes.  A few that I heard that were perhaps worth noting:

1. Stu and KWP possibly in contention.  Larios still definitely out.  

2. New boys have trained well this week, but won't promise that they start

3. Lots of questions about criticism this week; still defensive, says he was always accepting responsibility but generally seemed a little more composed this time (not the level of madness post-brentford showed)

Edited by Swils
typo

7 minutes ago, coalman said:

Definitely had some strong words about his presentation. Clearly been told to take responsibility. 

• Like 2

I think if we're honest after everything that happened last week that press conference was about as good as he could have expected it to be. It will all be an irrelevance whatever he said or did in it if we lose on Saturday. It really is all about results for him now. We already know his difficiencies as a communicator and his abrasive personality. He must know that he has to win on Saturday. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, coalman said:

I thought he came across well. 

His God comment was part of a direct reply to Adam Blackmore asking how he'd coped with all the criticism he'd faced over the last week, think Blackmore even used the word faith in his question 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirkdiggler said:

It’s quite easy you write down your best players and then see how you can set the team up to accommodate them.

No point is pissing about with players who haven’t produced  like Ely, Jan B, adams, arma, diallo etc etc 

To be fair a lot of us at the start of the season thought three centrebacks suited our squad because of DCC, Salisu and ABK plus only having one solid DM...that didn't work well. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I think if we're honest after everything that happened last week that press conference was about as good as he could have expected it to be. It will all be an irrelevance whatever he said or did in it if we lose on Saturday. It really is all about results for him now. We already know his difficiencies as a communicator and his abrasive personality. He must know that he has to win on Saturday. 

This 

14 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Some of the online hysteria about this guy is absurd. His comments after the Brentford game suggested he couldn't really cope, but he's been given a job to do and he's been given another chance. Let's see if he can win some football matches. 

I think that he’s brought most of it upon himself with boasting how good he has been and constantly bigging himself up !

Actions speak louder than words and his actions have been abysmal !

All this talk of stats being in his favour is crap  and I now refer to him as the “Stat Twat” 👺

18 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Some of the online hysteria about this guy is absurd. His comments after the Brentford game suggested he couldn't really cope, but he's been given a job to do and he's been given another chance. Let's see if he can win some football matches. 

The guys a joke, 3 points out of a possible 21 on the weakest set of league fixtures we had this season. And the ridiculous rants that come out of him on top of that. We are welcome to the hysteria we have. It's like we are all standing on the deck of the Titanic, I'm sure that was similar.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

The guys a joke, 3 points out of a possible 21 on the weakest set of league fixtures we had this season. And the ridiculous rants that come out of him on top of that. We are welcome to the hysteria we have. It's like we are all standing on the deck of the Titanic, I'm sure that was similar.

11 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I think that he’s brought most of it upon himself with boasting how good he has been and constantly bigging himself up !

Actions speak louder than words and his actions have been abysmal !

All this talk of stats being in his favour is crap  and I now refer to him as the “Stat Twat” 👺

Don't panic, Captain Mainwaring... I don't disagree for a moment that he's brought most of it upon himself, and the rants have been ridiculous. I wouldn't have appointed him in the first place. But he inherited a squad desperately low on confidence and with a crap record throughout 2022. And it's pretty clear he's not going to be sacked any time soon. So the personal hate is all a bit small time IMO. And when I'm in the ground I'll support the team for 90 mins and boo afterwards if I feel like it. 

• Like 1

Prediction:

Tall Paul

Moi               JWP           [no-one)

[no-one)

[no-one)

2 “aggressive front-footers”

5 “aggressive front-footers”

Baz 

Bench: 8 back-footers, Caballero

I don't see how Lavia doesn't play. 

I think Jones will play the following plus 5 others:

• Bazunu, KWP (Bree if not fit), Bednarek, Salisu, JWP, Lavia

Could be any 6 from the below based on formation/tactics/arguments.

• Lyanco, Perraud, DCC, Diallo, Alcaraz, Edozie, Sulemena, Elyounoussi, Orsic, AArmstrong, Adams, Onuacho.

And for me this is one of his biggest issues. Over 3 months he's had this squad, and he has no idea who to to play or which system to play. 4231, 433, 532, 523, 3421, who the fuck knows.

Edited by Saint Garrett

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

He at least has a decent goal scoring track record albeit in lesser leagues but then if was scoring a goal every other game in La Liga or Serie A he wouldnt be signing for us. Carillo was just a joke, the way the clowns on here tried to pretend he was a prolific goalscorer when he’s signed was hilarious. Got to give him a go and the other lad, can’t do any less than Armstrong and Elyanoussi 

Was some of the funniest "Number-Wanging" the Forum had seen.  Scored 4 goals in his entire career but because he was too shit to start, some thought it was a good goals/game ratio when in fact it just highlighted how unbelievably tosh he was.

And the same will become of our dreadful manager.

19 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Got a feeling he’ll go with this, which would be a long way from most people’s preference.

Bazunu

Bree - Lyanco - Janny B - Salisu - Perraud

Diallo - JWP - Alcaraz

Tall Paul - Adams

I think that will be very close but he simply has to play Lavia over Diallo. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I think that will be very close but he simply has to play Lavia over Diallo. 

I would say he must. Just got this weird feeling he won’t. Also, he’s probably more likely to start Elmo instead of Alcaraz.

I don’t see Sulemana getting much game time given Jones’ presser comments.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

I would say he must. Just got this weird feeling he won’t. Also, he’s probably more likely to start Elmo instead of Alcaraz.

I don’t see Sulemana getting much game time given Jones’ presser comments.

I must have missed that. What did he say? I'd be very surprised if he didn't start the new signings. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I must have missed that. What did he say? I'd be very surprised if he didn't start the new signings. 

He didn’t reference the wolves game directly, was just talking about why Tall Paul and Sulemana didn’t start last week. Said they had both not done much training due to transfer logistics, but that Paul has played a lot lately whereas Sulemana isn’t quite as up to speed.

I thought the presser was OK, nothing special but nothing to get too worked up over either.  It's points and performances that matter anyway.

I'd like to see:

Bazunu

KWP - DCC - Salisu - Perraud

JWP - Lavia - Alcaraz

A Armstrong - Mara - Sulemana

Put A Armstrong in simply because he's not bad at pressing and could set the tone for the performance.  I'd probably leave Onuachu on the bench because I'm not sure he'll be fit enough for 90 mins and would rather he come on towards the end of the match.  If KWP isn't fit then Bree I suppose.

19 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He didn’t reference the wolves game directly, was just talking about why Tall Paul and Sulemana didn’t start last week. Said they had both not done much training due to transfer logistics, but that Paul has played a lot lately whereas Sulemana isn’t quite as up to speed.

Why are we seemingly the only club on the planet that don't sign players who are "up to speed"...?

Edited by trousers

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic