coalman

22 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

What I would go for:

Bazunu

KWP DCC Salisu Perraud

AMN Lavia

Sulemana JWP Orsic

Mara

Tall Paul for Mara if need be. A Armstrong for Orsic if need be. 

Don't think we'll get that tho. 

B team play midday on Friday at Staplewood - got a feeling that line up will give us some clues again 

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

B team play midday on Friday at Staplewood - got a feeling that line up will give us some clues again 

And who organises this on a Friday? Multi million pound players, possibly returning from injury, affectively ruled out from a Saturday game. Why aren't B team matches on a Thursday, for example?

• Like 3

Will be an interesting game for plenty of reasons. I for one hope that he starts the new guys. Intrigued to see our Tall Paul and the new J.Quick after a week of training, and potentially Charly balling in the PL. 

I have been discussing the squad, relegation ramifications and such with friends/fans of other clubs, and the general consensus is that we have some decent players on their day. Problem is that their days don't come often. I've seen Salisu put in some cracking performances and then the week after just pass the ball to the opposition on the regular. 

I am trying to ignore/forget about our precarious managerial situation - no matter what happens in the week, what is happening behind the scenes, or our terrible run of form, I still sit down at the weekend, put the game on and get excited every time we get the ball in the opponents box (albeit this is continually less frequent). Now with Tall Paul, hopefully he tears up the league like he has been doing in Belgium. 

Hopefully JWP gees them up a bit and gets them playing despite our Angry Nate. It's true what he says, players have to take it by the scruff of the neck whatever happens and show a bit of fight. 

I just hope that he uses the players the board have given him - Orsic, Sulemana, Tall Paul, Charly form part of a significant January investment and are all clearly talented. DCC + Lavia too, although signed under Ralph. I can't imagine the board would be thrilled to spend the money and then not have these players play regularly, or worse even, playing in the B team. 

Fingers crossed, however unlikely it is.  

If he’s under some pressure to play ‘his’ way then I’d expect to something like his old 352 Luton lineup. I’d rather see DCC than Janny B but maybe he’s one of those we’re hearing about who’s not showing ‘fight’?

Bazunu

Lyanco   Bednarak   Salisu

Bree        Alcaraz    Lavia           KWP 

JWP

Adams      Onuachu

Thought this little snippet was interesting (it’s from a tactical analysis of Luton, not my words so don’t string me up about it!)

Jones has been right in sticking by his favourite system of choice, as the team have accumulated just one win in the five matches they played in a back-four.”

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's going to be cringe on all fronts come Saturday imo.

fully expecting stand up if you want jones out, my old man’s a dustman with some shit lyrics about jones which don’t match the tune, and more racist chances about our strikers willy 🤦‍♂️

"What do we want?"

"A run of positive performances, goals from open play, and a rapid increase in wins/points!"

"When do we want it?"

"Quickly, but preferably this afternoon onwards in order to give us the best chance of escaping the drop!"

6 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

fully expecting stand up if you want jones out, my old man’s a dustman with some shit lyrics about jones which don’t match the tune, and more racist chances about our strikers willy 🤦‍♂️

So just chants about knobs then. 

3 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

i’m going 2-1 wolves. I think we’ll play quite a lot of hoofball and they’re coming off a good result against liverpool. I hope the atmosphere is supportive of the team and not just anti jones chants throughout. save it for FT or if we go 3 down… take notes from everton’s sit in protest. 

You've just helped Jones script his after match excuse if/when we lose....can hear him now...'Wolves are a great side, they just beat Liverpool 3 nil!'

Just now, Southner said:

So just chants about knobs then. 

true 😂

hopefully during the game people sing about the team and southampton in general, not about nathan jones “your football is shit” etc or even “football in a library” like our normal lemons do. make it an atmosphere best situated to help us get 3 points and stay up! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, santolijador said:

Will be an interesting game for plenty of reasons. I for one hope that he starts the new guys. Intrigued to see our Tall Paul and the new J.Quick after a week of training, and potentially Charly balling in the PL. 

I have been discussing the squad, relegation ramifications and such with friends/fans of other clubs, and the general consensus is that we have some decent players on their day. Problem is that their days don't come often. I've seen Salisu put in some cracking performances and then the week after just pass the ball to the opposition on the regular. 

I am trying to ignore/forget about our precarious managerial situation - no matter what happens in the week, what is happening behind the scenes, or our terrible run of form, I still sit down at the weekend, put the game on and get excited every time we get the ball in the opponents box (albeit this is continually less frequent). Now with Tall Paul, hopefully he tears up the league like he has been doing in Belgium. 

Hopefully JWP gees them up a bit and gets them playing despite our Angry Nate. It's true what he says, players have to take it by the scruff of the neck whatever happens and show a bit of fight. 

I just hope that he uses the players the board have given him - Orsic, Sulemana, Tall Paul, Charly form part of a significant January investment and are all clearly talented. DCC + Lavia too, although signed under Ralph. I can't imagine the board would be thrilled to spend the money and then not have these players play regularly, or worse even, playing in the B team. 

Fingers crossed, however unlikely it is.  

You forgot the only new player who will certainly start...Bree.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

true 😂

hopefully during the game people sing about the team and southampton in general, not about nathan jones “your football is shit” etc or even “football in a library” like our normal lemons do. make it an atmosphere best situated to help us get 3 points and stay up! 

A noticeable difference in our approach and an early goal to boot will help with that! 

Like most i'm curious what differences in reality we'll see if any given Jones' controversial post game comments.

I hope it is not 3/5 at the back, we've seen that from Jones recently in newcastle 2nd leg and it looked extremely vulnerable to conceding lots of goals.

I wonder if it'll be a return to a CB at FB in a 4 as we looked worse and conceded many more with natural fullbacks at the weekend

4 hours ago, DT said:

Yes, I think he will go 'physical' lower league, with no finesse. They will just pick us off.

I have a feeling Kilman, our friend Craig Dawson or Collins (currently on their bench) won't let Onuachu/Adams dominate , so not sure how we are going to out muscle them with a more physical approach. Onuachu was woeful in the air against Brentford and will have to improve massively if we are to trouble them. That said, not sure we will out football them either, as we struggle to string three passes together, never mind open teams up. You can tell that all my positivity has been drained from me.  Wolves are only five points ahead if us, but having just murdered Liverpool 3-0, it feels like they in a different league to us right now. I'd love to be playing against us right now. Perfect team to play against.    

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Like most i'm curious what differences in reality we'll see if any given Jones' controversial post game comments.

I hope it is not 3/5 at the back, we've seen that from Jones recently in newcastle 2nd leg and it looked extremely vulnerable to conceding lots of goals.

I wonder if it'll be a return to a CB at FB in a 4 as we looked worse and conceded many more with natural fullbacks at the weekend

Yep, we played 3-5-2 against Newcastle and by and large (in the first half) we had no choice but to hit it long as we were under so much pressure, and we looked shit both fro a defensive and attacking point of view. So I am not sure this `new beginning' is actually going to bring anything new. 

I was just going to type what I thought might be a better option, but I literally don't have anything except try and recreate the City/Newcastle (home) line up/performance as he isn't going to play Armstrong out wide or Mara down the middle.

When we go long, what happens next?

1 hour ago, Chez said:

History tells us the ball comes back, slicing through our midfield who watch on as the runners into the box compete to score from crosses.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yep, we played 3-5-2 against Newcastle and by and large (in the first half) we had no choice but to hit it long as we were under so much pressure, and we looked shit both fro a defensive and attacking point of view. So I am not sure this `new beginning' is actually going to bring anything new. 

I was just going to type what I thought might be a better option, but I literally don't have anything except try and recreate the City/Newcastle (home) line up/performance as he isn't going to play Armstrong out wide or Mara down the middle.

The only thing he can do, in my opinion, that might get anything near a result, is somehow pick the right line up, which means Caleta Car and Salisu, not Bednarek and Lyanco, Perrault, KWP, Lavia, and the new boys (maybe Armstrong but not Che, sorry, on shitness grounds) and also somehow instil in them belief, and command them to harry and press for 95 minutes. Basically do what Sean Dyche would have done had the ownership had a clue. Oh, and also bring the togetherness he has somehow managed in a very short time by, well, by not being an egotistic know-nothing lower league manager with no credentials or likeable qualities. So. Not much.

• Like 2

Macca

KWP if fit    ABK/DCC    Sali     Perraud

Lavia            Charley

Sulemana          JWP        Edozie/Orsic

Tall

It won’t be, but that’s what I’d do. Give the new boys a run, and maybe bring the regulars on with a point to prove after 70 mins. Can’t be worse than what we’ve seen already. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Adams         Siege Tower 

Sulemana                      Prowse   

Lavia  Alcarez 

Perraud  Salisu DCC Bree 

Bazunu 

That right hand side is slow as all hell, you have to get pace in there without KWP.

It's a pretty crap situation really, he pulls off miraculous win Saturday and it gives more fuel for ankerson to keep him on even longer and if we lose it looks like he still going to stick with his man anyway 

For me:

Bazunu; KWP(Bree) DCC Salisu Perraud; JWP Lavia Alcaraz; Sulemana Edozie; Adams

Leaves the following out of the first XI:

• Macca, Caballero,
  • AMN, Lyanco, Bree, Tino, Larios, Bednarek, ABK
  • Aribo, SArmstrong, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Diallo,
  • AArmstrong, Orsic, Onuacho, Mara, Walcott

This squad is far too big, so it's understandable some players will be in the B team. Let's just hope its Diallo and Bednarek...!

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

For me:

Bazunu; KWP(Bree) DCC Salisu Perraud; JWP Lavia Alcaraz; Sulemana Edozie; Adams

Leaves the following out of the first XI:

• Macca, Caballero,
  • AMN, Lyanco, Bree, Tino, Larios, Bednarek, ABK
  • Aribo, SArmstrong, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Diallo,
  • AArmstrong, Orsic, Onuacho, Mara, Walcott

This squad is far too big, so it's understandable some players will be in the B team. Let's just hope its Diallo and Bednarek...!

I actually agree if they are not playing regularly some of them should get minutes with the B team, it actually helps the development of the best youngsters to get to play alongside them , bit different if they're put in the B team as punishment though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

That right hand side is slow as all hell, you have to get pace in there without KWP.

Unless you Drop Adams and play Tall Pau as alone striker.

Sulemana on right wing 

Edoize on left wing 

And Prowse as attacking mid Central 

I still think our best chance to score goals is to play players who can score goals. I'm not writing off players that have failed to score goals up to now but is time to give others a go. If we are to get goals we have to get to the byeline and put crosses into the penalty area. This game really is a one off cup tie, that's how we should play it.

Personally I think if we are pressing high then we need pace at the back not Kamikaze full backs. We need to keep a solid back five (including Lavia HM) and defend en mass when Wolves break. I would play Bazunu, KWP (Bree or Lyanco), ABK (Bednarek), DCC, Salisu (not his best position but often has to cover it). JWP, Lavia, Alcaraz, Sulemana Onuachu, Orsic. I envisage JWP and Alcaraz getting into the box and supporting Onuachu plus whichever of Orsic or Sulemana is free. My doubts about KWP and ABK fitness availability at this time are the reason for alternatives in brackets.

I've got a feeling it won't be anything like that and we will be tearing our collective hair out when the team is announced at two o'clock on Saturday.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JRM said:

You say spineless board, but could be argued they are the opposite , they choose their man and have the backbone to stick with him despite the tsunami of descent from our fans, they came out and fronted the forum yesterday I would say that deserves some respect 

Not making a decision when there is irrefutable evidence that you need to make a decision simply because you hope something will get better isn't bravery. It is far easier to bury your head in the sand than to make a change. The board have been spineless - they even limited the forum to a chosen few and Jones didn't attend. Again spineless.

Who knows we may even have some tactics such as playing down the left, cut in on the penalty area line, get a free kick or two for JWP to step up. Odds are, get 3 or 4 free kicks one will go on. Have to utilise such skill and not just run down the wing, wide into trouble 🤔

30 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Expect to see:

Bree, Janny B, Lyanco, Diallo, Ely, Armstrong 

Another waste of time guaranteed. Jones out. 

He should be relieved of his duties at 2:01pm on Saturday if even half of those make the starting XI. 

I mean he should’ve been sacked already but you know what I mean. 

• Like 2

I have a feeling Walcott will be our saviour this season. He'll keep us up after so long on the sidelines, alongside Janny B and Bree turning the defence into a rock, Diallo bossing midfield and Moi dictating play in.......

....ooh I just had a horrible dream I was Nathan Jones there...

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic