New Manager

Bakovnetski

22 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

They probably have someone they want hence why only offering Marsch a short-term deal as the #1 candidate isn’t available at the moment, or deemed likely to “hit the ground running” to increase our chances of staying up.

Completely .. they are holding out for the bloke from Torino. It just might not be now. 

• Like 2

Not disappointed that the Marsch deal is off - although wouldn't surprise me if there was another twist in that tale if Marsch U-turns and accepts a short-term deal. Gives me some hope that the board are not just knee-jerk reacting to the situation and realise Marsch is not the ideal candidate if they're prepared to lose him on that basis. BUT it would be a disaster if it's to give it to Gerard, Rooney or Lampard - please, please don't let them be that stupid. 

Let's do Selles as interim manager with someone to support him. Free hit. If we get a response like Bournemouth did, fantastic. If we stay up give him the job full time.  If not, use the time to pursue a really desirable target that can bring us up out of the Championship.

Not that difficult board. Get on with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Not disappointed that the Marsch deal is off - although wouldn't surprise me if there was another twist in that tale if Marsch U-turns and accepts a short-term deal. Gives me some hope that the board are not just knee-jerk reacting to the situation and realise Marsch is not the ideal candidate if they're prepared to lose him on that basis. BUT it would be a disaster if it's to give it to Gerard, Rooney or Lampard - please, please don't let them be that stupid. 

Let's do Selles as interim manager with someone to support him. Free hit. If we get a response like Bournemouth did, fantastic. If we stay up give him the job full time.  If not, use the time to pursue a really desirable target that can bring us up out of the Championship.

Not that difficult board. Get on with it.

As someone else said surely he'll need some other coaches to work with him?

This stinks of Steve Wigley all over again. Didn't we appoint an experienced coach to work with him Christian Damiano, and we were still dreadful. The club PR machine will be in overdrive over the next few days making out Selles is the greatest coach to walk the earth, when in reality we all know it's pretty nailed on to fail.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, landford.saint said:

If it’s one of the 3 Amigo’s:-

Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard

we will all know that SR and the board know sweet FA about football management.

Would any of them take a short term contract? I doubt it. SR have pretty much laid their cards on the table in that they won't be offering anything other than a short term contract. My guess is that counts out anyone of note so Selles gets the job until the end of the season. If that goes really badly SR will just be seen to be adding fuel to the inferno.

A lot of folk losing their minds on here but this doesn't feel massive surprising. I'm certain the club have their eyes on a couple of names who would likely become available before or during the summer, Potter being one example. Marsch's Leeds record was, if we're honest, fairly poor, so it would have made good sense to bring him in on a temp contract. If he exceeded expectations - great, sign him up. But if not it would have been very easy to say thanks, walk away and get the person we want.

Folk here would certainly be ranting if Marsch came in, either got us relegated or kept us up by the skin of our teeth with the team playing bad football, and then suddenly Potter became attainable.

I do think a short-term crisis appointment along the likes of Dyche (tho obviously not him now) to see us through ahead of a more long-term appointment in the summer is the right idea. I am not at all sold on that appointment looking like Rooney, Lampard or Gerrard however, although it's perhaps possible Stevie G (and perhaps Rooney, I dunno) could give us a short term lift, as he did briefly at Villa. No way I'd want him on a long term deal, though.

• Like 1

We will need to see how Selles does, but I’m not holding my breath - he is a rookie…

The delay that this causes probably changes my mind about the nature of our next appointment.

With so few games left, the likelihood of staying in the league is slim at best. I hope that the owners are scouting managers from lower/lesser leagues who are playing entertaining football. If/when we are in the Championship, we at least need to be entertained (beyond a light show…) - this is something that has gone missing with the lack of investment from the previous chairman 

3 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

A lot of folk losing their minds on here but this doesn't feel massive surprising. I'm certain the club have their eyes on a couple of names who would likely become available before or during the summer, Potter being one example. Marsch's Leeds record was, if we're honest, fairly poor, so it would have made good sense to bring him in on a temp contract. If he exceeded expectations - great, sign him up. But if not it would have been very easy to say thanks, walk away and get the person we want.

Folk here would certainly be ranting if Marsch came in, either got us relegated or kept us up by the skin of our teeth with the team playing bad football, and then suddenly Potter became attainable.

I do think a short-term crisis appointment along the likes of Dyche (tho obviously not him now) to see us through ahead of a more long-term appointment in the summer is the right idea. I am not at all sold on that appointment looking like Rooney, Lampard or Gerrard however, although it's perhaps possible Stevie G (and perhaps Rooney, I dunno) could give us a short term lift, as he did briefly at Villa. No way I'd want him on a long term deal, though.

I don't know what is with peoples obsession over Potter, he will not be coming here. He's not leaving a team like Chelsea to take over a Championship club, or walk into a relegation battle for 3 months. It's a non-starter.

I want to have confidence that there is a view that there are better on the horizon who they wish to wait for, however based on everything that has gone before I'm seriously losing any confidence in anything they do. Feels like they're swimming against the tide on everything.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Yes Gerrard would be short term but it would be long enough to pinch the best for Liverpool, that would be his only interest. So, no thanks

9 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Why on earth would Potter come here, even if he was sacked at the weekend?

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't know what is with peoples obsession over Potter, he will not be coming here. He's not leaving a team like Chelsea to take over a Championship club, or walk into a relegation battle for 3 months. It's a non-starter.

I want to have confidence that there is a view that there are better on the horizon who they wish to wait for, however based on everything that has gone before I'm seriously losing any confidence in anything they do. Feels like they're swimming against the tide on everything.

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Why on earth would Potter come here, even if he was sacked at the weekend?

I'm not sure why people think Potter is absolutely out of the question. We're a comparable club to Brighton, and having struggled after stepping up to a Top 6 team, why would he not want to return to more comfortable territory? We would still represent a Premier League Managerial Job, although I of course concur that a Championship club is a far tougher sell.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But but but! He played 8 games for us in 1996!! And Brighton is on the South Coast! (or something) 

• Haha 2

Leftfield as they come, but if Saints are looking at a former star player with a credible managerial record to come in and mentor Selles on a short term deal maybe have a chat with Gattuso. Just left Valencia by mutual consent with a 57% win average and could be kicking his heels down to May. Also, would likely nut Ankersen if negotiations break down.  No chance of course, but if the Ramusbots are tuning in got to be worth an email…😀

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think if its known that we are now looking for a short term option only, I would suggest that the only viable runner is Selles. He's here at the moment, and can step up. Obviously knows the players too. Not really an inspiring choice, but as others have stated, at least its not Jones. 

I just want to feel some hope, hope in the short-term and hope long-term that they know what they're doing.

I have neither right now. Selles isn't a bad bloke, but he's not going to give us the hope we all need. And everyone needs hope in football.

You usually see these sorts of things happen at badly run clubs and laugh at them, but I have to say that we are sadly now an incredibly badly run club. No getting away from it. Facts are all in front of us.

Ankerson came with huge reputation but he has created an almighty mess here. Over his head comes to mind.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I just want to feel some hope, hope in the short-term and hope long-term that they know what they're doing.

I have neither right now. Selles isn't a bad bloke, but he's not going to give us the hope we all need. And everyone needs hope in football.

You usually see these sorts of things happen at badly run clubs and laugh at them, but I have to say that we are sadly now an incredibly badly run club. No getting away from it. Facts are all in front of us.

Ankerson came with huge reputation but he has created an almighty mess here. Over his head comes to mind.

Would agree with that. As a club, the biggest mistake was not dispensing with Ralph in the summer. Most of us could see his time was up, yet for whatever reason the club decided to stick with him. Still don't understand the recruitment from the summer either, if the board had decided to stick with Ralph, they should have giving him the proper tools to work with. It just seems bizarre decisions have followed us since the end of last season, and we as fans just need something to believe in and get behind. I said before that going to St Marys feels like a chore now, an experience that is neither fun or enjoyable. Football has never made me feel like that, even under the arse days of Branfoot.

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Reminds me of the Mitchell and Webb sketch - are we the baddies ? 😂 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Bruno Lage next in line according to my relatively unreliable source 

But again, would he take a short term contract? It's all well and good trying to avoid further pay-outs if a manager comes in and it doesn't work out but we are now making things difficult for us to protect us from another Ankersen screw up. It's a case of once bitten and means no reasonable candidates are likely to be interested so Selles gets the gig until the end of the season by default. It's not the way to run a football club.

Edited by saintant

All of this makes you wonder how on earth we got those transfers over the line during the window. Was it that they were shielded from Ankersen and Jones, and a picture painted to them of a club with a structure and sound vision? Hope they kept their receipts!

On we blunder.

PR disaster after PR disaster. Perhaps Rasmus should attend a Ted Talk on communications strategy. Regardless of whether I wanted JM, the fact remains, there was some press briefing indicating the club were pretty damn sure the deal was effectively done. For it tall fall apart at the eleventh hour due to something as crucial as length of contract meant that once again Ankersen and co had royally fucked up again. It's like spending your winnings only to find out your horse didn't finish. Ankersen thought he had the power but of course he didn't, it was always with Marsch. Ankersen thinks he's something special and I've some stark news for him. Honestly, what have we become? Shining a light on the mismanagement is only further removing us from any position of power. Every man, woman and child now knows the situation we find ourselves in and any potential new manager is going to demand more and we'll have to acquiesce or we'll find ourselves with Selles until the end of the season. Which they'll spin as their first choice. Sick to death of it. Bollocks, the lot of it. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I'm not sure why people think Potter is absolutely out of the question. We're a comparable club to Brighton, and having struggled after stepping up to a Top 6 team, why would he not want to return to more comfortable territory? We would still represent a Premier League Managerial Job, although I of course concur that a Championship club is a far tougher sell.

Like it or not Brighton are a more attractive proposition than us at the moment. They have a great squad, they buy well, and are not half way through the trap door to potential waste ground that is the championship. He's also shown himself above that level. Not a snowballs chance in hell of us getting Potter. 

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't see a loss in hope for the long-term. Not making a panicky short term gamble could be evidence of long term sane planning (Just look at Burnley, people were mocking their owners, why put a caretaker in charge etc) now look at them.