New Manager

Bakovnetski

1 hour ago, Dirkdiggler said:

There are now several of us who keep mentioning his name. I have not yet seen anyone suggest he would not be a good option, so I find it strange he has not been mentioned as an option that we are actively exploring.

Of course, there may be good reasons why he is not being considered (or maybe he IS under consideration!). My concern is that the club maybe steering clear out of some misguided fear about how the fanbase might respond to a manager without Premier League experience following the negative reaction to Nathan Jones.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

There are now several of us who keep mentioning his name. I have not yet seen anyone suggest he would not be a good option, so I find it strange he has not been mentioned as an option that we are actively exploring.

Of course, there may be good reasons why he is not being considered (or maybe he IS under consideration!). My concern is that the club maybe steering clear out of some misguided fear about how the fanbase might respond to a manager without Premier League experience following the negative reaction to Nathan Jones.

There's an FC Copenhagen forum thread on him somewhere, which didn't read too well, for what translation I could achieve. The general concensus was his job fell apart when Selles left.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Personaly I would have Ralph back .. and never wanted him gone

5 hours ago, trousers said:

You really should've mentioned this before now, rather than leave us to have a wild stab-in-the-dark as to your thoughts on the matter over the last few weeks... 

5 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Trousers , check my posts , I have been pro Ralph since the sacking ,, Sadley you dont read my posts but sure you chack them ..

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark

It would appear my 'humour' doesn't translate into Austrian (or Glaswegian...?) too well.... 😉😂😂😂

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

There's an FC Copenhagen forum thread on him somewhere, which didn't read too well, for what translation I could achieve. The general concensus was his job fell apart when Selles left.

Doesn't that suggest they worked well together as a pair and reuniting them might not be such a bad idea...?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Just read that Parker has won  1 out of the 8 games he's been in charge of at genk.

For those that keep mentioning him.

Was he telling the media after the game how brilliant he was at Bournemouth and how he had them playing front footed and agressive football.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Doesn't that suggest they worked well together as a pair and reuniting them might not be such a bad idea...?

On the face of it you would think that, but it begs the question of why he wasn't our preferred man either before Jones or the JM fiasco. 

• Like 1

I had hoped that we could get a new manager in so he could give the team a real identity ready for a promotion push next season.

I have no expectations of staying up this season.  We have been criminally run by Sports Republic, not getting rid of the lame duck that Ralph became any sooner and then the disastrous, rushed appointment of Jones have sealed our fate.

The pool of available managers is pretty limited at the moment.  There is a chance that we could get a better manager in now as we are still a Premier League team, rather than wait until the end of the season.  It is a slim chance though.

We might as well accept our fate and leave Selles in charge.  I am really angry with Ankersen and Semmens, we have spent a ton of money on players and are absolute shite out on the pitch every week.  That is down to them and the direction they've taken the club in.  If I was Dragan, heads would be rolling.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I had hoped that we could get a new manager in so he could give the team a real identity ready for a promotion push next season.

I have no expectations of staying up this season.  We have been criminally run by Sports Republic, not getting rid of the lame duck that Ralph became any sooner and then the disastrous, rushed appointment of Jones have sealed our fate.

The pool of available managers is pretty limited at the moment.  There is a chance that we could get a better manager in now as we are still a Premier League team, rather than wait until the end of the season.  It is a slim chance though.

We might as well accept our fate and leave Selles in charge.  I am really angry with Ankersen and Semmens, we have spent a ton of money on players and are absolute shite out on the pitch every week.  That is down to them and the direction they've taken the club in.  If I was Dragan, heads would be rolling.

I think now the focus has moved to who they bring in alongside Selles, and this will have to be a person currently out of work and out of contract - the 'quality' pool has dried up due to Sport Republic's reckless mismanagement. 

Just going to share this here,

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/nicola-sturgeon-hands-over-power-to-jk-rowling-20230215231675?fbclid=IwAR3CVK4fQVuvuZIPQS5-6xa_EJHqq-Nvo8F-M5t_DxHQQNFq_dQ8AeO_yVQ

If it's TLDR:

As a job, being first minister’s like managing Southampton. You can’t achieve anything and everyone hates you for trying.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

If we don't appoint a new manager before the summer, even with the proviso that it is with a view to next season in the Championship, would that affect the attitude and willingness of the players to stay ?

Might well affect their attitude, but let's be honest - their attitude appears to have been pretty shit all season, bar a few. As for staying - they're under contract. Wonder what their contract says in the case of relegation? Pay cuts? I bet not.

5 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Might well affect their attitude, but let's be honest - their attitude appears to have been pretty shit all season, bar a few. As for staying - they're under contract. Wonder what their contract says in the case of relegation? Pay cuts? I bet not.

As we all know, player contracts mean bugger all. How many players have we seen, including our own, coming out with "I'm too good to play in a lower division", ( when they have proved beyond doubt that they are not good enough to keep their team in the current one ).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

Roy Hodgson to advise Selles for the rest of the season? I mean, I’m clutching because the situation is so desperate.

I've seen worse suggestions, but I don't really see him coming back into management or coaching now. He doesn't need the stress of it all.

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

I think now the focus has moved to who they bring in alongside Selles, and this will have to be a person currently out of work and out of contract - the 'quality' pool has dried up due to Sport Republic's reckless mismanagement. 

Wenger? 🥴

• Like 2

Just now, skintsaint said:

No thanks. Why bring in a lower league manager to advise?

Cos he was a Premiership manager, knows the club, could bring a bit of much needed feelgood and positivity back, and is available and possibly not adverse to a short term deal. I'd still prefer Peter Bosz as the main man but his name doesn't seem to be getting mentioned at all any more.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

Whoever comes in its important that they can deliver front footed aggressive football 

So, Bazball then.

I can only think of one `Brendan' in the football management world, and I think Southampton FC are probably one of those written down in his `weakest link envelope'. 

Has anyone seen the new Athletic spiel about the Marsch situation?

Painting it as everything was agreed, but Marsch slept on it and decided the timing wasn't right. Nothing to do with the length etc as this was all verbally agreed on. I think it was both parties to be honest.

The interesting bit is that it proclaims the club saw it as crucial to act swiftly and decisively to have a manager in place for Chelsea, which is why they went after Marsch so ‘aggressively’. That went well then. And now that urgent need for swift and decisiveness seems to be leading them back to ''Selles is great, he was always our choice anyway'’ – even though he wasn’t 4 days ago. I'm all a bit confused as to what our plan is right now!

42 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Cos he was a Premiership manager, knows the club, could bring a bit of much needed feelgood and positivity back, and is available and possibly not adverse to a short term deal. I'd still prefer Peter Bosz as the main man but his name doesn't seem to be getting mentioned at all any more.

Yeah, Someone well liked, with experience of both the club and the division. If he'd be happy coming in alongside Selles on a short-term basis till the end of the season it seems like it would make a fair amount of sense.

Beware though, people will try and spin it that you want him to be the new long-term manager.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Has anyone seen the new Athletic spiel about the Marsch situation?

Painting it as everything was agreed, but Marsch slept on it and decided the timing wasn't right. Nothing to do with the length etc as this was all verbally agreed on. I think it was both parties to be honest.

The interesting bit is that it proclaims the club saw it as crucial to act swiftly and decisively to have a manager in place for Chelsea, which is why they went after Marsch so ‘aggressively’. That went well then. And now that urgent need for swift and decisiveness seems to be leading them back to ''Selles is great, he was always our choice anyway'’ – even though he wasn’t 4 days ago. I'm all a bit confused as to what our plan is right now!

If you have a list of candidates in order of preference with Selles in the middle, it makes sense to slow things down once you've crossed off everyone above him

31 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Breaking News:
I have it on good authority…..

….that Sports Republic’s decision making this season has been a shitshow. 😅

It’ll definitely be Ruben Selles to the end of the season won’t it.

Not according to the rolling text on Sky Sports. The search is being paused to allow Selles to take charge for the Chelseas game and then it will resume.

• Like 1