New Manager

Bakovnetski

22 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Rooney 

I cannot recall what experience Rooney has of managing in the Premiership and avoiding relegation. He is also contracted and it would require a pay off so I think I will stick with Marsch the one with experience of both and will not cost to get him out of his contract. Of course we could go for Lampard and Gerrard, both sacked from premiership jobs (and of course could not work together 😉). All the other available managers have been sacked at one time or another so  lets have someone who has knowledge of the way we played successfully under Ralph and has current  premier league experience. Considering everything its a no brainer especially with his incentive to finish above Leeds.

Edited by Saints4Prem
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, obelisk said:

Why would anyone think that it'd be a good idea to bring back the bloke who had Saints 90th out of 92 teams during 2022?

Well for starters it's utterly irrelevant where a team's form ranks vs a bunch of random other teams given we only compete with 19 of them.....😆 Clearly any side that is struggling in their league would have poor form compared to a team sitting say mid table in league 1 or chasing promotion in the league 2... and similarly,  there are less teams in the premier league so extremes of form will likely be amplified relative to a 24 team league.

The only thing that actually mattered was our performance in the league this season - and the reality was that Ralph was doing an okay job with what he had - 3points of 12th when he was sacked, despite gelling a young squad with limited experience and having played the best sides... Seemed fairly reasonable given we had key injuries to critical players and no premier league level attackers to speak off - Indeed, the last 2 games where Ralph had a fully fit squad we beat Chelsea and outplayed United - And that was still with the likes of Che, Armstrong, Ely etc as attackers.

Rumours are that Marsch is the candidate that Semmens/Ralph had earmarked to eventually replace him. If thats the case then hopefully he can deliver some of the more successful football that Ralph managed - free from the relationship/morale fatigue that eventually crept in over Ralph's time, and with a fully fit and stronger squad (notably including good attackers). I'd like to think that the fanbase's recent dose of humble pie (i.e. "can't do worse than Ralph"... meet Mad Nath) will be enough for the fans to settle down and support the new manager - we need to if we're going to have a chance of staying up.

Something to actually look forward to - technically, we're basically one game away from Wembley in the FA cup... unless we somehow conspire to lose to Grimsby... which absolutely does not bear thinking about! And there are only going to be 3 tough teams in the quarters - City, United, and maybe Brighton. So there actually is a decent chance of an FA Cup Semi this year.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

OMG - only if by measured you mean overwhelmingly negative and consistent in their outlook. i.e. positive motivator / talker but no substance or tactical nous. Why on earth would we settle for this? 

RASMUS HAS REFERENCE POINTS! 

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

So who would you have gone for, in our current situation? I don't think it highlights a lack of ambition, I think it just highlights where we are and how we are seen in football circles right now.

Peter Bosz. The job is essentially a free hit. Short term deal, keep us up, job done and both parties can re-evaluate in the summer. Go down and it was too little too late etc. We're still in the top flight in the highest profile league in world football. That in itself is a pull and a sizeable salary for what could be 4 months work isn't going to be sniffed at either. 

• Like 1

Strachan to make a dramatic comeback !

I'm basing this on the news that Nicola Sturgeon is standing down. I always though she was secretly 'Strachan in drag' , so her disappearance from public life will enable WGS to go back to the 'day job'. 

• Like 1

Just now, revolution saint said:

Selles assisted by Thorup in a reverse of their Copenhagen days is my guess.

This is exactly my suspicion too. Thorup is out of work as well and if brought in as an assistant, on mates rates, shouldn't be too expensive, and may mould Selles into our Championship manager for next season. 

Is it me, or were the players looking quite chipper in the official training photos the other day under Selles? 

1 minute ago, THINWHITEDUKE said:

Haven’t got a problem with Selles taking over the reins until the end of the season, makes sense in my opinion, but in the interim the board should be actively interviewing or approaching a manager for next season either in the PL or EFL.

They probably have someone they want hence why only offering Marsch a short-term deal as the #1 candidate isn’t available at the moment, or deemed likely to “hit the ground running” to increase our chances of staying up.

Just now, Puddings and Monkeys said:

They probably have someone they want hence why only offering Marsch a short-term deal as the #1 candidate isn’t available at the moment, or deemed likely to “hit the ground running” to increase our chances of staying up.

This rather assumes the board actually know what they’re doing. I doubt this very much. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DT said:

This rather assumes the board actually know what they’re doing. I doubt this very much. 

Yep, considering our scouting dept have 6 months to plan each window and regularly balls that up, I wouldn’t be surprised that behind all the posturing and pontificating of being relaxed and confident, you’ve got an absolute dogs dinner with no strategy or real planning at all. Just empty, vacuous statements. 

3 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

Is iT PoTTeR, PleAsE lET It bE poTtEr, Oh i sO wiSh iT iS pOtTeR.

13 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

What like they had someone they'd tracked and wanted like Nathan Jones?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

What like they had someone they'd tracked and wanted like Nathan Jones?

They've been tracking Marsch as well - apparently long before he went to Leeds....

There really is no end to the number of manager's we're tracking.  Not sure why anyone needs to worry about Chinese spy cameras with all the tracking we do!

Just now, saintwbu said:

I’d rather Selles than Gerrard/Lampard/Rooney. In fact i’d rather let the players just manage themselves than any of those three. 

Those three are probably right back in the frame though not sure any of them would take a short term contract.

Just now, saintant said:

I think we'll end up with someone far less able than Jessie Marsch as, once again, the board and owners demonstrate new levels of incompetence.

But why is it on us to take all of the risk? He's had two failed appointments now with a hell of a lot to prove. We've offered him a chance to redeem himself. It works both ways, we are taking a risk on him, so it's only fair he takes some risk on us imo. Otherwise it's another very expensive failure. Two days ago the board were a shambles for thinking of appointing him 

I was on board with him, but wasn't under an illusions of what he might bring. Like everything it's a risk... I think seeing what Selles can do, given the players seem to be big fans of him, is worth a look 

• Like 1