New Manager

Bakovnetski

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Good spot - assume Selles was his assistant at Copenhagen?

Yep Selles was assistant at Copenhagen 21-22 before joining us.

He's also out of work and would know Ankersen from the Midtylland days. Was there for 3 years as manager.

Marsch is the obvious choice to stay up and beyond even if we don’t , for a manager available now. Plays a system the club get, has Prem experience, got Leeds out of trouble last year, also will probably stick around for a rebuilding job. Plus no compo and immediately available.

Nunes being the other choice, but his system I don’t think will suit. Gerrard / Lampard / Rooney not for me, even in the league below.

The rest I just don’t see wanting it - and Allardyce would be panic.

I do get the reservations on Marsch but given our situation I think he’s the best we’re likely to get. Please no 6 year deal though (how insane was that decision on Jones)  - big bonus for staying up and 1 1/2 yr deal with option to extend both sides.

amused to see Ralf on that list, but it’s not the maddest idea I’ve seen in football. He can have a very fast start with zero bedding in period and given a ‘end of season deal to see if you can finish what you started with new players’. Let’s be honest he’s probably got as good a chance of keeping us up, and better CV, then anyone else realistically mentioned.

it won’t happen given the quotes from Semmens saying the players fell out with him. But you know what - those players are largely shit and I’m tired of pandering to them, the squad is big enough with new players that Ralf can simply freeze out those he dislikes. Obviously he’d have to go in the summer but that would be understood - Ralf gets the chance to go out on a high, if we go down we have new available managers to chose from. And it’s so left field it’s something I’m sure would appeal to Rasmus’s ‘I’m smarter than everyone and have spotted something you haven’t’ nature.

so in summary Marsch, but he’s got less chance of keeping us up then Ralf. So not ideal but I think he’ll Mount a decent promotion push.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep Selles was assistant at Copenhagen 21-22 before joining us.

He's also out of work and would know Ankersen from the Midtylland days. Was there for 3 years as manager.

Yeah this one came up yesterday, loads of connections.

Like you said Selles was his assistant at FC Kobenhaven, he was then manager at Midtylland when Ankerson was there.

Also signed Ounancu for Genk, so knows him.

Feels a bit too 'obvious' to me though! who knows.

Edited by S-Clarke

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah this one came up yesterday, loads of connections.

Like you said Selles was his assistant at FC Kobenhaven, he was then manager at Midtylland when Ankerson was there.

Also signed Ounancu for Genk, so knows him.

Feels a bit too 'obvious' to me though! who knows.

With all these promising looking connections; the history with Selles/Ankerson, ex-players etc etc, and the fact he's been out of work for a little while. This guy looks half decent... so it really does baffle the mind that we ended up with Jones.

Just now, gecko said:

With all these promising looking connections; the history with Selles/Ankerson, ex-players etc etc, and the fact he's been out of work for a little while. This guy looks half decent... so it really does baffle the mind that we ended up with Jones.

This guy was also free when we appointed Jones, but we decided to pay £2m compo to Luton instead! 

The more you look back the more you realise this was an Ankerson ego-trip.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I'd be happy with Gerrard if we go down give him a project to rebuild. Could see him being a hit with players and would command respect.

Also has the pulling power to get additional players in. 

Did you not read the post where the Villa fan said he divided the changing room and was their worst manager ever.

The days of players and pulling power are gone, the only pull a player needs now is money, Gerrard and for that matter Rooney or Lampard are the last people we need anywhere near our club.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This guy was also free when we appointed Jones, but we decided to pay £2m compo to Luton instead! 

The more you look back the more you realise this was an Ankerson ego-trip.

yeah, data driven nonsense, trying to be clever. What an absolute balls up

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

yeah, data driven nonsense, trying to be clever. What an absolute balls up

Guess there wasn't a stat to show how much of a jackass the guy was, nor how much the fanbase would detest him in a matter of weeks. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Because he's a thick idiot who has shagged grannys, gets pissed up and thought it was a good idea to talk about his tiny knob to the DC United players? Because his record in America is horrendous? Because he hasn't shown to have the tactical nous or managerial experience necessary to manage a club to the required standard? I can't think of a single reason why he would be a good appointment beyond being high profile and getting half a season of decent form from a Championship team with the pressure off and zero expectation. I don't want Gerrard but from a managerial point of view he's ten times better. 

So you are not a big Rooney as manager fan then ?

• Haha 1

The club should keep well clear of Jess Thorup and/or anyone else connected to the 'statisticsball' football style and metrics of Midtylland - it may have worked in the Premier League back in the 90s and in the old 1st Division before that - and maybe still in the lower leagues now - but its not fit for the modern premier league.

I think we will end up with Marsch - but mostly because he is free and available - and I would guess relatively cheap in comparison to other options. But if that ends up being the case I hope its only a 6 month contract and we appoint a long term manager in the summer.  

We don't really have the players for the RedBull 4-2-2-2 and the high press which is a large part of why it went wrong with Ralph so I am not sure appointing a manager whi plays the same way as Ralph - but not as well - would solve any real problems.  The squad we have is better suited to a 4-3-3 and a low block.  

To be honest I think it is probably too late - Sports Republic's series of bad decisions and delayed decision have made relegation more or less inevitable now.  If that does happen we need to appoint a young forward thinking and progressive (high press, possession based football, tactical awareness) manager like Jaissle or Knutsen in the summer with the remit to rebuild the team and get us promoted back to the Premier League

There is an outside chance Marsch could keep us up - but I don't think he is the right manager for the long term.  If by some miracle he does keep us up I still think we should look for a more progressive and tactically astute manager in the summer.

We should keep away from managers like Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney until they have proven they are actually any good  as managers (Rooney looks like he will but he's need more time to develop as  coach). 

The same with yesterday's men like Bruce and Allardyce - they would just delay the problem.

Sports Republic should have gone for Tedesco in November (Gallardo was always out of our reach) - or replaced Ralph in the summer. 

• Like 3

Probably get slated for this but, Scott Parker could be a left-field appointment, he is doing well with Club Brugge & although he got the boot from Boremuff he wasn't backed in the transfer market like their new manager has been. he plays a decent style which would suit our current crop of players. He would give us a good chance of coming straight back up especially seeing as he has gained promotion from the Championship twice before (with separate teams).

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Did you not read the post where the Villa fan said he divided the changing room and was their worst manager ever.

The days of players and pulling power are gone, the only pull a player needs now is money, Gerrard and for that matter Rooney or Lampard are the last people we need anywhere near our club.

Nah I missed this avoid like the plague then 😂 

alternative picks for manager

- Neil Warnock would love this one to happen as I love moaning and so does he, watching him abuse the refs will be fantastic.

Steve Bruce been there done it has the cabbage to show for it, experienced in managing prem teams also has a massive belly

- Wayne Rooney get him in before the leicester game so that he can sub himself on to twat vardy #TeamColeen

Ralph Hassenhuttl knows the players and how not to motivate them, maybe like many disgraced people who have been sacked he has been on a yacht in ocean village writing his autobiography reading his memoirs on what went wrong. after all he is the messiah) 

Just now, ExSholingSaint said:

Probably get slated for this but, Scott Parker could be a left-field appointment, he is doing well with Club Brugge & although he got the boot from Boremuff he wasn't backed in the transfer market like their new manager has been. he plays a decent style which would suit our current crop of players. He would give us a good chance of coming straight back up especially seeing as he has gained promotion from the Championship twice before (with separate teams).

he’s an arrogant twat same as jones 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not sure if it's just new fans who joined us in the prem. I remember Lawrenson writing off our chances of signing someone when we had just come up and thinking how bizarre it was that we were making a relatively high profile signing. Nowadays it seems like some fans our club have a really good weird view of our club and where we fit in the football hierarchy. 

It was Gaston Ramirez - Lawrenson said it was "never going to happen"

Shame GR was shit

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

The club should keep well clear of Jess Thorup and/or anyone else connected to the 'statisticsball' football style and metrics of Midtylland - it may have worked in the Premier League back in the 90s and in the old 1st Division before that - and maybe still in the lower leagues now - but its not fit for the modern premier league.

I think we will end up with Marsch - but mostly because he is free and available - and I would guess relatively cheap in comparison to other options. But if that ends up being the case I hope its only a 6 month contract and we appoint a long term manager in the summer.  

We don't really have the players for the RedBull 4-2-2-2 and the high press which is a large part of why it went wrong with Ralph so I am not sure appointing a manager whi plays the same way as Ralph - but not as well - would solve any real problems.  The squad we have is better suited to a 4-3-3 and a low block.  

To be honest I think it is probably too late - Sports Republic's series of bad decisions and delayed decision have made relegation more or less inevitable now.  If that does happen we need to appoint a young forward thinking and progressive (high press, possession based football, tactical awareness) manager like Jaissle or Knutsen in the summer with the remit to rebuild the team and get us promoted back to the Premier League

There is an outside chance Marsch could keep us up - but I don't think he is the right manager for the long term.  If by some miracle he does keep us up I still think we should look for a more progressive and tactically astute manager in the summer.

We should keep away from managers like Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney until they have proven they are actually any good  as managers (Rooney looks like he will but he's need more time to develop as  coach). 

The same with yesterday's men like Bruce and Allardyce - they would just delay the problem.

Sports Republic should have gone for Tedesco in November (Gallardo was always out of our reach) - or replaced Ralph in the summer. 

Marsch also plays a 4-2-3-1 style, which I think suits the players we have. A back 4 to start with, two midfielders in a pivot and then 3 attackers behind your central striker.

Bazunu

KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud

JWP - Lavia

Sullemana - Alcaraz - Orsic

Ounacu

You'd want the width provided by Perraud and KWP, with JWP and Lavia both covering when they bomb forward and also providing the pivot in posession. Sullemana, Alcaraz and Orsic provide the counter press in and around Ounancu. I know Sullemana and Alcaraz are good pressing players, not sure about Orsic though (and I think we know Onauchu isn't!)

Our January transfers have made this approach much more valid in my opinion. It’s a shame Ralph had to persist with Moussa/Ely/Adams/Armstrong in those roles.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Marsch also plays a 4-2-3-1 style, which I think suits the players we have. A back 4 to start with, two midfielders in a pivot and then 3 attackers behind your central striker.

Bazunu

JWP - Lavia

Ounacu

You'd want the width provided by Perraud and KWP, with JWP and Lavia both covering when they bomb forward and also providing the pivot in posession. Sullemana, Alcaraz and Orsic provide the counter press in and around Ounancu. I know Sullemana and Alcaraz are good pressing players, not sure about Orsic though (and I think we know Onauchu isn't!)

Our January transfers have made this approach much more valid in my opinion. It’s a shame Ralph had to persist with Moussa/Ely/Adams/Armstrong in those roles.

Agree, we almost certainly have the personnel and depth for the redbull 4222/4231 Ragnick approach now, my only concern is Onuachu as he’d almost certainly need to initiate a press to a certain degree

Even Orsic/Sulemana are effectively IF rather than traditional wingers

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bazunu

JWP - Lavia

Ounacu

The lad who came on here when Orsic signed (think he supported Zagreb) praised his tireless work ethic so you'd like to think he'd be OK, and if you look at his goals most are scored by cutting in from the left so in theory he should fit into that OK.  Edozie is the big loser in the formation - he's probably the closest we've got to a traditional winger.  Think he's got enough about him to adapt though.

• Like 1

I have only had experience of supporting Saints (for over 60 years) so I am wondering if other teams supporters are as frustrating a bunch of bastards as us lot. Virtually every suggestion of a new manager is met with a chorus of disapproval. Even names that I, and I suspect nearly everyone else on here, have never heard of are shot down by the "experts" on here. It seems to me that the fan base will only be happy with Poch or Tuchel. NOBODY else is good enough......I just don't know what to think any more....what name I can actually feel positive about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, miserableoldgit said:

I have only had experience of supporting Saints (for over 60 years) so I am wondering if other teams supporters are as frustrating a bunch of bastards as us lot. Virtually every suggestion of a new manager is met with a chorus of disapproval. Even names that I, and I suspect nearly everyone else on here, have never heard of are shot down by the "experts" on here. It seems to me that the fan base will only be happy with Poch or Tuchel. NOBODY else is good enough......I just don't know what to think any more....what name I can actually feel positive about.

You have to take into account that the average football fan is a bit of a twat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

It’s a football message board, where people have different opinions. There will obviously be people who disapprove of pretty much any manager, at every club. We’re bottom of the Premier League, we’re hardly going to be linked with managers who are universally acclaimed.

9 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Yes they are a mate is a Leeds fan and worse than us by what he tells me.

My who I don’t want is longer than who I do, I didn’t want Strachan or Adkins but both gave brilliant entertainment and performances.

I hated Puels football at home but away was great.

Jones was a mistake 99% could see it. 
I am 50/50 on Marsch .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Agree, we almost certainly have the personnel and depth for the redbull 4222/4231 Ragnick approach now, my only concern is Onuachu as he’d almost certainly need to initiate a press to a certain degree

Even Orsic/Sulemana are effectively IF rather than traditional wingers

I agree with this approach too. I think we’ll need to accept that Onuachu wouldn’t be a starter. Good super-sub option though.

I’d give Mara a run in the team to see if he can make the role his own. If he fails, I’d go back to using Che. He’s bad at finishing but great at leading the press and holding the ball up which could suit Sulemana etc.

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

alternative picks for manager

- Neil Warnock would love this one to happen as I love moaning and so does he, watching him abuse the refs will be fantastic.

Steve Bruce been there done it has the cabbage to show for it, experienced in managing prem teams also has a massive belly

- Wayne Rooney get him in before the leicester game so that he can sub himself on to twat vardy #TeamColeen

Ralph Hassenhuttl knows the players and how not to motivate them, maybe like many disgraced people who have been sacked he has been on a yacht in ocean village writing his autobiography reading his memoirs on what went wrong. after all he is the messiah) 

Bruce wouldn't actually be the worst shout, as long as it's just till the end of the season. He tends to get teams playing well at first before stagnating. Could do a Mark Hughes for us. Won't happen though 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

The lad who came on here when Orsic signed (think he supported Zagreb) praised his tireless work ethic so you'd like to think he'd be OK, and if you look at his goals most are scored by cutting in from the left so in theory he should fit into that OK.  Edozie is the big loser in the formation - he's probably the closest we've got to a traditional winger.  Think he's got enough about him to adapt though.

That sounds better then re: Orsic. 

Edozie I've seen cut inside, I don't think he'd be totally alien to the approach. If S Armstrong is fit again as well we've got another weapon in that pressing third. 

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Bruce wouldn't actually be the worst shout, as long as it's just till the end of the season. He tends to get teams playing well at first before stagnating. Could do a Mark Hughes for us. Won't happen though 

an appointment for the ladies

R.775f0f293dcad74a86946a11dbd1a8b0?rik=KITddDDsAW78gw&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Seeing how Brighton are playing after getting rid of Potter makes me think their must be so many more managers similar to De Zerbi out there. They got him from Shakhtar Donetsk. Any other bright managers at big clubs in small leagues we could have a look at?