New Manager

Bakovnetski

On Marsch, I think whoever followed Bielsa at Leeds was on a hiding to nothing because he was so idolised. He did keep them up though despite them falling like a stone and getting carved apart every week when he arrived. Performance wise whenever I've seen them this season I've been fairly impressed and they've dominated plenty of games, but just haven't been clinical (case in point the match v Man Utd yesterday). They lost Raphinha in the summer who pretty much kept them up single-handedly last season so they were never going to pull up any trees this time around. 

Tactically it makes sense - he gets his teams playing aggressive and in a four at the back which is everything we've been crying out for - and he's (apparently) a good man manager which is the opposite of everything we've been told about Jones and particularly Hassenhuttl. 

The accent would grind I'm sure but he's clearly made an effort to cut out the Americanisms since arriving in England so the Ted Lasso comparisons are just lazy. 

We could do a lot worse, basically. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Let Selles have his cup final on Saturday. Saints beat Chelsea. Potter gets sacked. Hey Presto, Saints have their new manager. 😉

If that happens and you go into self-congratulatory overdrive again, remember that I came up with this very scenario before you... ;)

10 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

On Marsch, I think whoever followed Bielsa at Leeds was on a hiding to nothing because he was so idolised. He did keep them up though despite them falling like a stone and getting carved apart every week when he arrived. Performance wise whenever I've seen them this season I've been fairly impressed and they've dominated plenty of games, but just haven't been clinical (case in point the match v Man Utd yesterday). They lost Raphinha in the summer who pretty much kept them up single-handedly last season so they were never going to pull up any trees this time around. 

Tactically it makes sense - he gets his teams playing aggressive and in a four at the back which is everything we've been crying out for - and he's (apparently) a good man manager which is the opposite of everything we've been told about Jones and particularly Hassenhuttl. 

The accent would grind I'm sure but he's clearly made an effort to cut out the Americanisms since arriving in England so the Ted Lasso comparisons are just lazy. 

The beauty of following Jones is that whoever it is has no expectations to follow, just don't lose every game you play. It would be one hell of an effort for us to find someone WORSE than Jones (I'm sure we'll give it a good shot though....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Yeah but we don’t want Ted fucking Lasso in charge of our Soccerball team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, saint lard said:

So,looks likely that the Qatari royal family  want to buy Man Utd. Bid in today.

yep, I’d sell my soul for that investment in Saints. 
couldn’t give a toss about the political ramifications. 
🤷🏻‍♂️

All feels a bit muddy to me. That will be Newcastle, PSG, Man City, Man Utd owned and funded by middle eastern states. 

I wouldn't say no to a mega backer if they came knocking, but by the same token I wouldn't go searching or selling my soul for one!

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

All feels a bit muddy to me. That will be Newcastle, PSG, Man City, Man Utd owned and funded by middle eastern states. 

I wouldn't say no to a mega backer if they came knocking, but by the same token I wouldn't go searching or selling my soul for one!

#sportswashing

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Bruce wouldn't actually be the worst shout, as long as it's just till the end of the season. He tends to get teams playing well at first before stagnating. Could do a Mark Hughes for us. Won't happen though 

Have a look at what he did at WBA Bruce is a dinosaur and busted flush

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Bruce wouldn't actually be the worst shout, as long as it's just till the end of the season. He tends to get teams playing well at first before stagnating. Could do a Mark Hughes for us. Won't happen though 

There's a very strong, and recent, body of evidence which demonstrates that he very much doesn't get the best out of a squad of players. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Chatting to fans of other clubs - relegation rivals if you like. they can’t believe that we have escaped Jones and that we are now considering Marsch. They’re all happy for us to announce him though…

we have established, that fans usually know f-all about the game......

Weirdly, most of us called it right with Jones early on.....

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

Wasn’t there a geordie chap who managed a team ( Canada ) at the World Cup who done well ? Think he managed the women’s team successfully too before the men’s. 

basically getting a crap team to play above itself 

Herdman. No thanks. He's done fine with Canada but often makes really bizarre decisions and rather stupidly spouts his mouth off. We've had enough of that this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

we have established, that fans usually know f-all about the game......

Weirdly, most of us called it right with Jones early on.....

The Jones appointment was just odd on so many levels. Hiring Marsch is totally different in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saintscummer said:

Wasn’t there a geordie chap who managed a team ( Canada ) at the World Cup who done well ? Think he managed the women’s team successfully too before the men’s. 

John Herdman. He's a great communicator and has indeed done an excellent job with both the women's and men's national teams. I'm amazed he wasn't snapped up after the World Cup (Canada topped the CONCACAF group containing the U.S. and Mexico), but his contract has now been extended through the 2026 World Cup here in North America. He sees it as "unfinished business".

I wouldn't say he's been working with a "crap team" when it contains players like Alphonso Davies (Bayern), Jonathan David (Lille), Tajon Buchanan (Brugge) and Stephen Eustáquio (Porto), although he's got the best out of the "plumbers" who aren't at that level.

On a side note, the one to watch is Ismaël Koné, who's just 20; he's a central/defensive midfielder who recently signed for Watford, but I don't think he'll be there long.

I've always thought that Herdman would do well in England, and could cut the mustard at PL level.

(EDIT: Just saw Ottawa's post - funny how we each see stuff differently, but Herdman cut certainly drop the occasional verbal bollock. 🤣)

Edited by CanadaSaint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saintscummer said:

You're thinking about John Herdman, currently Head Coach of the Canadian men's team - that disappointed in the last World Cup. But he's good. Super positive, enthusiastic - got the women's team and the men's team playing well. No PL experience and possibly too nice? Will have learnt about handling the media after the Croatia gaff at the World Cup. We could do worse...and of course he would have been 1000% better than Nathan Jones (but then so would a pot plant have been).

I think, swallow your pride and bring Ralph back, or Poch. But super long-shot. Please no to any of Gerard, Rooney or Lampard...and I simply cannot believe anyone would think Allardyce-crook is the solution to anything other than dodgy deals and park 10-men on the goal-line. 

I don't think Marsch is the solution either...a bit reactive...and there must be a reason why Leeds didn't want him despite the spirit his teams clearly show (something to do with not winning football games I think).

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

John Herdman. He's a great communicator and has indeed done an excellent job with both the women's and men's national teams. I'm amazed he wasn't snapped up after the World Cup (Canada topped the CONCACAF group containing the U.S. and Mexico), but his contract has now been extended through the 2026 World Cup here in North America. He sees it as "unfinished business".

I wouldn't say he's been working with a "crap team" when it contains players like Alphonso Davies (Bayern), Jonathan David (Lille), Tajon Buchanan (Brugge) and Stephen Eustáquio (Porto), although he's got the best out of the "plumbers" who aren't at that level.

On a side note, the one to watch is Ismaël Koné, who's just 20; he's a central/defensive midfielder who recently signed for Watford, but I don't think he'll be there long.

I've always thought that Herdman would do well in England, and could cut the mustard at PL level.

(EDIT: Just saw Ottawa's post - funny how we each see stuff differently, but Herdman cut certainly drop the occasional verbal bollock. 🤣)

Your summary is fair though. I felt he did well right up to the World Cup, but when the pressure was on he made a few bizarre changes that were not necessary and backfired quite badly. Also the whole "we'll fuck Croatia" was really poor professionalism from him.

I think he's probably learned from the WC experience but I fell he isn't what we need right now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Chatting to fans of other clubs - relegation rivals if you like. they can’t believe that we have escaped Jones and that we are now considering Marsch. They’re all happy for us to announce him though…

Spot on.  Would be a crazy appointment; he had Leeds on a terrible run -> the sack, so what makes people think he'd do any different with us?

1 minute ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

Spot on.  Would be a crazy appointment; he had Leeds on a terrible run -> the sack, so what makes people think he'd do any different with us?

Absolutely batshit crazy. Loons.

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

So,looks likely that the Qatari royal family  want to buy Man Utd. Bid in today.

yep, I’d sell my soul for that investment in Saints. 
couldn’t give a toss about the political ramifications. 
🤷🏻‍♂️

Ratcliffe may as well buy Saints then.

• Haha 1