New Manager

Bakovnetski

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Right, let’s have some honesty.

Who had heard of Gallardo prior to Ralph’s sacking?

Who had heard of the Torino boss before yesterday evening? 
🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes, 3days ago if that counts when I read he rejected us previous.

Edited by Master Bates
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Right, let’s have some honesty.

Who had heard of Gallardo prior to Ralph’s sacking?

Who had heard of the Torino boss before yesterday evening? 
🤦🏻‍♂️

Yep and posted as such weeks ago as he was the name Blackmore mentioned on air after Forest game I think.

Before that nope:-)

An American magazine’s take on Marsch’s sacking at Leeds. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/leeds-united-sack-jesse-marsch-premier-league-american-manager/q8vrldd3zlodad6g26su1gk2

Lots of stats for Ankerson!

I’m OK with Marsch, I think he will suit the majority of our players, and play good football.  He will also stick around if we get relegated.

• Like 5

If we have to go for one of these former England players, I'd take a punt on Rooney. Did a decent enough job at Derby given everything they went through, and tends to play a 4-2-3-1 which suits our players. He'd be a good Championship manager, and a big enough name to hopefully convince some players to stick around. 

Edited by santolijador
  • Like 1

Gallardo yes, and mostly because he has been named a few times around the Brazil national team setup, but because of his nationality and the fact that Tite was given another chance he wasn't/hasn't given the job... yet!  That would be some come down though. 

Torino manager = no.  But he seems the right kind of nut job so I am on board with that.

The rest can get in the bin, Marsch, Lampard et al.  Rooney less so but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Edited by Greedyfly

1 minute ago, santolijador said:

If we have to go for one of these former England players, I'd take a punt on Rooney. Did a decent enough job at Derby given everything they went through, and tends to play a 4-2-3-1 which suits our players. He'd be a good Championship manager, and a big enough name to hopefully convince some players to stick around. 

I'd say that's an horrendous appointment. I hope we go nowhere near that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

Gallardo yes, and mostly because he has been named a few times around the Brazil national team setup, but because of his nationality and the fact that Tite was given another chance he wasn't/hasn't given the job... yet!  That would be some come down though. 

Torino manager = no.  But he seems the right kind of nut job so I am on board with that.

The rest can get in the bin, Marsch, Lampard et al.  Rooney less so but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Gallardo is Argentinian. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Links to Juric over last 24 encouraging as vastly superior coach to Marsch IMHO. Hope they are also talking to the Iberian connection, Nuno and Bruno who are my one and two choices. Nuno masterstroke as a fit, Bruno a close second (more likely). 

What sets Juric out above Marsch? I don't know a huge amount about him, but I did read he plays 3 at the back which is slightly concerning given our history with that set up. Also I worry that we don't have time to instill a new way of playing. 

Marsch obviously comes from the redbull structure, loves the high press high intensity, high risk/reward football they instill, and we do as well as a club. At first glance I wasn't impressed with the Marsch links, but the more I've looked into him and his history I get the logic a lot more so than with Jones. Had he not been sacked (some are saying unfairly) from Leeds, or be American, I think people would be a lot more interested in him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

You’re absolutely spot on except for the fact that analytics and metrics is a HUGE approach to how Bielsa sets up and coaches and he has always been a huge advocate for analytics in football and coaching in particular, he’s also pretty egotistical, you only have to remember the whole spygate saga

So obviously apart from being completely wrong in your attempt to side swipe SR its a cracking post 👍🏻

Well I can’t get everything right with so much Football stress. The window has only just slammed ffs. Apparently the spying is commonplace in Argentina and I note Bielsa paid the resulting £200,000 fine from out of his own pocket. 

6 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Why?

Because Rooney did great at Derby with the resources he had and situation they were in.

Gerrard went a season unbeaten at Rangers which, regardless of the football standard is still a brilliant achievement.

Lampard really hasn't done all that well anywhere

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Marsch doesn't understand the role of a winger. Watch the way Leeds played under him - everything down the middle. Even when it wasn't working he persisted with it. 

I have a feeling he'll get the job but God knows why. 

That’s what Leeds fan told me earlier when I asked him.

4-2-3-1 but very narrow susceptible to big switch of play.

1 minute ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Marsch doesn't understand the role of a winger. Watch the way Leeds played under him - everything down the middle. Even when it wasn't working he persisted with it. 

That's because he doesn't play with wingers, as he is an adopter of the 4-2-2-2 formation. So the wide players come inside, provide the space for the full backs to attack.

Pretty common approach in gegenpressing style, as you overload the middle with options to press and stress the oppo in the 'Red Zone' - as Ralph liked to call it. So it's not that he doesn't know how to use wingers, the style he practices doesn't utilise them in the traditional sense.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Just as well we didn’t sign any traditional wingers then

18 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Because Rooney did great at Derby with the resources he had and situation they were in.

Gerrard went a season unbeaten at Rangers which, regardless of the football standard is still a brilliant achievement.

Lampard really hasn't done all that well anywhere

Agree. My school football team went 2 1/2 years unbeaten and won every competition we entered. Lets get Mr Anstee in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's because he doesn't play with wingers, as he is an adopter of the 4-2-2-2 formation. So the wide players come inside, provide the space for the full backs to attack.

Pretty common approach in gegenpressing style, as you overload the middle with options to press and stress the oppo in the 'Red Zone' - as Ralph liked to call it. So it's not that he doesn't know how to use wingers, the style he practices doesn't utilise them in the traditional sense.

Yeah, and virtually every winger cuts inside these days regardless of formation anyway.

Seems to me that this season our problems are a combination of players getting hacked off with Ralph personally and a deviation from the 4-2-2-2 in an effort to shore up the defence.  The tactical change hasn't worked but we've got better players in defence such as ABK and Caleta-Car and I wonder if reverting to 4-2-2-2 with a different voice and better players is all that's needed.  Certainly wouldn't require a massive change from what most of the players are used to and are comfortable with.

We'd still have issues with the defence but we might be a bit better and, crucially, we should be scoring goals.  Tall Paul probably doesn't fit a pressing side but does offer something different and that might compensate for his lack of stamina.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iansums said:

Jones sacked, strong rumours of Marsch to replace him. Now, tell me more about the Maldives, far more interesting, planning on going there myself this time next year.

Destination2 we found to be the best. If you want a really chilled out with very few kids and an island that takes 15 minutes to walk around look up summer island. 

Absolute heaven 

Here’s a genuine question, ‘everybody’ seems to want a high press 4-2-2-2, apparently our players are well-suited to it and have been recruited with that system in mind.

Looking at the season now, if we get a good pressing manager, are the players currently fit enough to play that system? Looking at the way we often run out of legs at 65-70 minutes it would possibly suggest not?

If new manager needs the players ‘fitter’ how quickly sports-science wise can players fitness be adapted (improved) while they are playing a full fixture list?

Obvs doesn’t apply to next season when there is a full pre-season available.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sandwichsaint said:

Here’s a genuine question, ‘everybody’ seems to want a high press 4-2-2-2, apparently our players are well-suited to it and have been recruited with that system in mind.

Looking at the season now, if we get a good pressing manager, are the players currently fit enough to play that system? Looking at the way we often run out of legs at 65-70 minutes it would possibly suggest not?

If new manager needs the players ‘fitter’ how quickly sports-science wise can players fitness be adapted (improved) while they are playing a full fixture list?

I understand it is very difficult to significantly improve fitness levels at the same time as playing matches.  There is absolutely no excuse these days for not being as fit as every other team in the Premier League - if we are not then that is criminal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

The think that probably works in our favour now as opposed to last season with this style is we have better quality on the bench to bring on. We now have genuine alternative in most positions if we were going to play 4222 and the ability to use 5 of them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

Based on ?

Because he's a thick idiot who has shagged grannys, gets pissed up and thought it was a good idea to talk about his tiny knob to the DC United players? Because his record in America is horrendous? Because he hasn't shown to have the tactical nous or managerial experience necessary to manage a club to the required standard? I can't think of a single reason why he would be a good appointment beyond being high profile and getting half a season of decent form from a Championship team with the pressure off and zero expectation. I don't want Gerrard but from a managerial point of view he's ten times better. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

I understand it is very difficult to significantly improve fitness levels at the same time as playing matches.  There is absolutely no excuse these days for not being as fit as every other team in the Premier League - if we are not then that is criminal.

especially as now with 5 subs you can basically change half the outfield players during the match. No excuses for being knackered.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Seems to me that this season our problems are a combination of players getting hacked off with Ralph personally and a deviation from the 4-2-2-2 in an effort to shore up the defence.  The tactical change hasn't worked but we've got better players in defence such as ABK and Caleta-Car and I wonder if reverting to 4-2-2-2 with a different voice and better players is all that's needed.  Certainly wouldn't require a massive change from what most of the players are used to and are comfortable with.

Sounds logical but I guess it depends upon why the players got hacked off with Ralph in the first place. Maybe they were more hacked off with the system Ralph instilled, and his dogmatism in sticking with it, rather it just being a clash of personalities? If it was the former, then bringing in a Ralph tactical clone (i.e. marsch) could lead us straight back to square one...? 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Lampard no but Marsch and Gerrard acceptable IMO.

Personally I’d go with that aswell. I may be in a minority but i think Gerrard could be the best option we have right now, well respected among players, a manager arguably last chance saloon to build his managerial reputation again, so he will be driven. Think alot of the younger players will look up to him. 

• Like 3