New Manager

Bakovnetski

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Personally I’d go with that aswell. I may be in a minority but i think Gerrard could be the best option we have right now, well respected among players, a manager arguably last chance saloon to build his managerial reputation again, so he will be driven. Think alot of the younger players will look up to him. 

Yeah exactly my thinking. Gerrard isnt the best but he would come in and have instant kudos with the young players. I dont think he'd take any shit off some of the others either. Marsch is a decent enough manager IMO, think he's being knocked on here simply due to the fact he got sacked by Leeds. I think give him a chance to keep us up and time to build a team in the championship he could be a good appointment.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Player morale is a bit different to liking or disliking the manager. You can dislike someone but still respect their managerial abilities. Towards the end the players didn’t like Ralph and didn’t respect him. He was very aloof and distant and they had stopped listening to him which is why we are where we are. 

Mad that we had an awful last year with Ralph in charge and people still think he was hard done by. He was done. We were sliding before Jones took over and he turned out to be the wrong person at the wrong time to take over at the wrong club. We are adrift and to stay up, we will need an incredible manager. Perhaps the players will also step up because they might not want relegation on their CVs. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Here’s a genuine question, ‘everybody’ seems to want a high press 4-2-2-2, apparently our players are well-suited to it and have been recruited with that system in mind.

Looking at the season now, if we get a good pressing manager, are the players currently fit enough to play that system? Looking at the way we often run out of legs at 65-70 minutes it would possibly suggest not?

If new manager needs the players ‘fitter’ how quickly sports-science wise can players fitness be adapted (improved) while they are playing a full fixture list?

Obvs doesn’t apply to next season when there is a full pre-season available.

I think ‘fitness’ levels at top level are greatly exaggerated, top level sportsmen are likely to find their base level + a bit extra reasonably quickly especially as they’re effectively consistently doing some form of stamina based work.. I think a lot of the time is application and perhaps burn out

We have a bigger squad now AND 5 subs available so I think we’re in a better spot then we were halfway through Ralphs tenure when it sort of fell apart imo

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah exactly my thinking. Gerrard isnt the best but he would come in and have instant kudos with the young players. I dont think he'd take any shit off some of the others either. Marsch is a decent enough manager IMO, think he's being knocked on here simply due to the fact he got sacked by Leeds. I think give him a chance to keep us up and time to build a team in the championship he could be a good appointment.

If Gerrard comes our best players will be signing for Liverpool and he will be off--job done

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

Sounds logical but I guess it depends upon why the players got hacked off with Ralph in the first place. Maybe they were more hacked off with the system Ralph instilled, and his dogmatism in sticking with it, rather it just being a clash of personalities? If it was the former, then bringing in a Ralph tactical clone (i.e. marsch) could lead us straight back to square one...? 

Yeah, there were definitely players who didn't like the system - Redmond was probably the stand out in that regard.  Whatever we do is going to be a risk but I think this way represents a bit less risk and if we revert to more pressing then it probably gets the fans onside quicker than if we go for something a bit more root and branch. 

Getting the crowd behind whoever comes in is going to be crucial - I don't think there's currently a stand out candidate that unites everyone.

Not overly keen on Gerrard mainly on the basis that he didn't do so well without Michael Beale but we're not going to get anyone who hasn't got flaws so I'd support him if he did get it.

• Like 3

If I had to choose between Marsch and some of the former pros (Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney) I think I would rather go with the former. Has much more experience, might fit in with the club model and it would mean we could avoid the nauseating media love-in with the other three. I also think the reputations and expectation around those ex-players will bring unnecessary attention and added pressure. 

Would happily have someone who is just capable and understated but can do a decent job. Wait, maybe now I am thinking about Prime Ministers instead of a football manager...

Edited by ScandiSaint
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Frank Lampard with Uncle 'arry as Director of Football.

Whoever we get, if you dont like the choice, just think what you could have had ! 🤣

Now that we have money, Arry would fancy it.

Brown envelopes for everyone!

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Gallardo is Argentinian. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I am well aware of that so you can drop the facepalm bollocks.  If you re-read my message I wasn't insinuating he was Brazilian at all, only that he was mentioned as a potential replacement for the Brazil national job but HIS nationality was always seen as a blocker i.e. he was so good with River Plate (and conversely Brazil so underwhelming) that they were possibly going to overlook his nationality.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Gerrard isnt the best but he would come in and have instant kudos with the young players. I dont think he'd take any shit off some of the others either

Indeed. I don't think we should underestimate the importance of such a trait in a manager. What our players have been lacking for some time now is that spark of inspiration and self-belief. A high-profile ex-pro such as Gerrard could certainly bring a level of inspiration to the group that a more run-of-the-mill option wouldn't be able to. Gerrard isn't top of my list by any means but it's not an appointment I would be unhappy with per se. (Even better if he and Searle were reunited of course)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Indeed. I don't think we should underestimate the importance of such a trait in a manager. What our players have been lacking for some time now is that spark of inspiration and self-belief. A high-profile ex-pro such as Gerrard could certainly bring a level of inspiration to the group that a more run-of-the-mill option wouldn't be able to. Gerrard isn't top of my list by any means but it's not an appointment I would be unhappy with per se. (Even better if he and Searle were reunited of course)

Yep, imagine someone like Lavia having Gerrard as his manager, going to surely help him, same for many of the younger players. Would also help attract players to us, we've not exactly got a lot going for us at the moment but if you're a player choosing a club and you've got the chance to play for a manager who was one of the best in the world when you were a kid then it's going to help.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Willing to throw my hat in the ring, fifteen successful years playing Football Manager and FIFA, more often than not scouting and buying the same players Saints have but years earlier.

Will help your buy-to-sell-high model.

Bednarek and Lyanco will be nowhere near the starting eleven, and I will have a clause in my contract that if we ever play five at the back it is a sackable offence.

👍🏻

Come on Rasmus!

Southamptons Will Still

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I wouldn’t grumble with Gerrard either. I’d be surprised if he wanted it, but think he’d be really good for us long term if we were to go down.

2 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Still think if we approach someone like Poch and offer huge bonus for keeping us up, with a release clause if he wants it should we go down.  

You're not the one who posted on twitter than we should offer him £8m for the rest of the season and he'd want it because he has so much respect for the club are you?

Edited by Turkish

I really can’t believe people are entertaining the idea of Gerrard - thankfully i’m pretty sure he won’t be hitting any statistical tick boxes for the board, unless ‘number of wins in a shit league’ really is the top one (it might be, given Jones got the job).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Marsch doesn't understand the role of a winger. Watch the way Leeds played under him - everything down the middle. Even when it wasn't working he persisted with it. 

I have a feeling he'll get the job but God knows why. 

This is exactly what I my Leeds supporting boss said - he plays no width whatsoever - they play cross field balls which clubs quickly picked up on and now intercept them early which left Leeds totally exposed time and time again but he never learnt or changed things and thats why he was sacked.

This issue is so glaringly obvious that I cant believe we could make the same f**K again 

And I dont understand why we are choosing a manager from the merry go round of failed premiership managers - they failed coz their crap

With the wages we pay surely we can tempt a successful manager from a competitive foreign league ala  Poch, Koeman, Potter etc

Edited by richardc
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Because he's a thick idiot who has shagged grannys, gets pissed up and thought it was a good idea to talk about his tiny knob to the DC United players? Because his record in America is horrendous? Because he hasn't shown to have the tactical nous or managerial experience necessary to manage a club to the required standard? I can't think of a single reason why he would be a good appointment beyond being high profile and getting half a season of decent form from a Championship team with the pressure off and zero expectation. I don't want Gerrard but from a managerial point of view he's ten times better. 

Yes, but it would be worth it if he brought his wife to the Leicester game.

5 minutes ago, richardc said:

This is exactly what I my Leeds supporting boss said - he plays no width whatsoever - they play cross field balls which clubs quickly picked up on and now intercept them early which left Leeds totally exposed time and time again but he never learnt or changed things and thats why he was sacked.

This issue is so glaringly obvious that I cant believe we could make the same f**K again 

And I dont understand why we are choosing a manager from the merry go round of failed premiership managers - they failed coz their crap

With the wages we pay surely we can tempt a successful manager from a competitive foreign league ala  Poch, Koeman, Potter etc

Do you realise our position? We're not completely unattractive to some managers but we're bottom of the league and odds on for relegation! Some of our fans sound deluded. 

8 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I really can’t believe people are entertaining the idea of Gerrard - thankfully i’m pretty sure he won’t be hitting any statistical tick boxes for the board, unless ‘number of wins in a shit league’ really is the top one (it might be, given Jones got the job).

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

The only logic seems to be that he'd be respected? Clearly nothing to do with his managerial career so why don't we just hire Roy Keane then?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I wouldn’t grumble with Gerrard either. I’d be surprised if he wanted it, but think he’d be really good for us long term if we were to go down.

The hate Villa fans have for Gerrard is on a similar level to ours for Jones.

They universally call him their worst ever manager, and they had Remi Garde. 

They say his man management is crap, tries to live on his ego and shuts players out who don't agree. Created a toxic dressing room with splits all through it, tactical confusion.

There wasn't a good thing he did according to them. Sounds like an avenue we probably don’t want to explore again if it was me making the call.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I thought the comment at the fans forum that saints isn't like football manager was a bit patronising but the more I read from some of our fans, the more I feel it needed pointing out. 

I agree. I've seen some suggestions this morning calling for Zidanne, Tuchel, Marco Silva and Kompany. ''Invest in the team SR''.

Just silly views with no realism attached to them. If only the world worked like Football Manager.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The hate Villa fans have for Gerrard is on a similar level to ours for Jones.

They universally call him their worst ever manager, and they had Remi Garde. 

They say his man management is crap, tries to live on his ego and shuts players out who don't agree. Created a toxic dressing room with splits all through it, tactical confusion.

There wasn't a good thing he did according to them. Sounds like an avenue we probably don’t want to explore again if it was me making the call.

… wept. 👀

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree. I've seen some suggestions this morning calling for Zidanne, Tuchel, Marco Silva and Kompany. ''Invest in the team SR''.

Just silly views with no realism attached to them. If only the world worked like Football Manager.

I'm not sure if it's just new fans who joined us in the prem. I remember Lawrenson writing off our chances of signing someone when we had just come up and thinking how bizarre it was that we were making a relatively high profile signing. Nowadays it seems like some fans our club have a really good weird view of our club and where we fit in the football hierarchy. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I thought the comment at the fans forum that saints isn't like football manager was a bit patronising but the more I read from some of our fans, the more I feel it needed pointing out. 

Matthew Le God on here would regularly say football was exactly like Football Manager and I for one believe him.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Reading through this thread, how do I know when the post is vaguely sensible? I see this...

352428487_Screenshot2023-02-13at13_27_52.png.651977b4798d1802700c36b15ff5c1a8.png

Lol I think that was on mine when in fact what I said was perfectly sensible. Seems he and a few others struggled with the actual words and assumed, incorrectly, that I was suggesting Gallardo was Brazilian... When I wasn't and didn't.

Just now, Greedyfly said:

Lol I think that was on mine when in fact what I said was perfectly sensible. Seems he and a few others struggled with the actual words and assumed, incorrectly, that I was suggesting Gallardo was Brazilian... When I wasn't and didn't.

It didn't even remotely read that way, not sure why anyone got confused.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

Gallardo isn't Brazillian.  He's Argentinian HTH.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

He's Argentinian.

You've only got to read this thread to realise that whoever the board picks will annoy a section of the the fan base.

It is frankly amazing that we all agreed on Jones.

We aren't going to be attracting A grade managers. However the board need to get this right.

Guarantee we'll be underwhelmed.

Marsch seems an obvious choice for SRs model. Just have to go with it. Equally I could see Dean Smith, Chris Wilder, or a foreign manager of similar status popping up.

They need to heal divisions and bring stability. That counts Gerrard out imo.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

For fucks sake, he’s an Argie.  

I've kind of accepted we're probably on the way down and likely so will any incoming man, so the pool to pick from ain't particularly huge. I think it could very well be Marsch, I don't think the club will bow to fan pressure with this appointment, it will certainly be someone who'll accept relegation and the rebuild job.

Plenty of our fans are gonna grizzle (mostly on football forums) whoever is brought in but although the board were probably a bit taken aback with the feeling towards Jones, it was hardly ever more than, let's be honest, slightly "toxic" at St Mary's. For comparison, the dug-out pioneers had thousands kicking-off on the streets outside the stadium before and after games as well as proper protests inside, other than a few boos and chants, we had someone's 10 year old nipper waving a fake P45 around.

• Like 2