New Manager

Bakovnetski

12 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Right, let’s have some honesty.

Who had heard of Gallardo prior to Ralph’s sacking?

Unless you're a relative youngster, if you have any interest in World and European football, I don't know how you can't have heard of Marcelo Gallardo.

He was one of the finest creative roaming playmakers of his his generation, capped nearly 50 times for Argentina.

It was during an era when small, technical trequartista types were all the rage, though whilst Marcelo could play "in the hole", he was generally given the creative license to show for the ball all over the pitch., to make things happen. You just couldn't shackle such a sublime talent. Quick, skilful, excellent dribbler, and would regularly thread the ball through the eye of a needle, such was his vision and passing ability. He was a very special player, oozing class.

As a manager, he has utterly transformed a broken and fallen giant at River, restoring them back to their former glories, and surpassing them.

Plays a very attractive attacking pressing game, and would be a fantastic fit for us.

Other strings to his bow include not coming from a Welsh mining community, regularly winning football matches, and not saying with the greatest of respect all the time.

Sadly however, I should imagine his stock has risen far above risking his reputation by getting imbroilled in the mess that Rasmus has created for us now.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Rivers said:

Unless you're a relative youngster, if you have any interest in World and European football, I don't know how you can't have heard of Marcelo Gallardo.

Agreed. Both the BBC and TalkSport have had programmes covering European and World football for years. Gallardo's name and progress have come up regularly, particularly from South American correspondent Tim Vickery.

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

Thinking about it whilst i’m against selles on permanent, if there is no one good in the race may as well just give him interim and get coaches such as Fonte and someone experienced with him.  

Good call with Fonte if that’s the decision. 

Crook says club hoping to get new manager in by Chelsea game. He too says he can’t understand why we didn’t go for Dyche when available, but plumped for Jones

also, that Leeds. Ow considering Gerrard alongside Gary McAllister. And that Nuno - who I personally think would be a good fit for us - has an 8m release clause. So moment go for either us off Leeds probably

Edited by DT

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Nothing surprises me with our club at the moment would they rekindle a relationship with an ex? 😂

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-vincent-kompany-jesse-marsch-8144388

has anyone seen ralph since his sacking?used to play golf with a few on here I think. looking at the other options I would rather have him than some of the other dross and that’s saying something

Edited by SotonianWill

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Nothing surprises me with our club at the moment would they rekindle a relationship with an ex? 😂

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-vincent-kompany-jesse-marsch-8144388

Ralph is another emotional shout, same as Poch and Adkins. No real footballing realism to them, just people that have done 'well here' before.

We made the decision to move on in November, whether that was right or not is up for debate, but you don't go back on that 3 months down the line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ralph is another emotional shout, same as Poch and Adkins. No real footballing realism to them, just people that have done 'well here' before.

We made the decision to move on in November, whether that was right or not is up for debate, but you don't go back on that 3 months down the line.

We're still paying Ralph aren't we so from that perspective would make some financial sense but I can't see it happening 

We're not going to get in a decent manager that is capable of taking us forward at this stage of the season given our league position. 

Any such manager would not want to blot their career record with a relegation however much money you throw at them. 

So we're left with experienced old campaigner, Aladyce etc, or recently sacked and struggling to find another berth, Lampard, Marsch etc.

Or.. stick with temporary solution ie Selles, and have a proper re-boot top to bottom in the summer. 

Personally I prefer the last option. 

• Like 2

Personally I'm not prepared to throw the towel in and accept relegation with sixteen games left and just give  up and tread water for the rest of the season. I want us to get to it and give it a go to try and stay up however unlikely that seems in the present circumstances.

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, Morse said:

We're not going to get in a decent manager that is capable of taking us forward at this stage of the season given our league position. 

Any such manager would not want to blot their career record with a relegation however much money you throw at them. 

So we're left with experienced old campaigner, Aladyce etc, or recently sacked and struggling to find another berth, Lampard, Marsch etc.

Or.. stick with temporary solution ie Selles, and have a proper re-boot top to bottom in the summer. 

Personally I prefer the last option. 

That last option is absolutely bonkers, there’s 16 games left! 

• Like 3

So then it is looking like Marsch is the man. We will of course be getting lots of "he's been sacked by such & such team" but let's face facts. 99% of managers have been sacked during their careers, the one's who haven't are the top 1% Pep, Klopp etc. This appointment is probably the best we are going to get so as fans we need to get behind him & the team & be the twelfth man for the rest of the season & maybe we can survive.

If we do go down then hopefully he has got enough about him to keep hold of some of our younger talent & can take them on a promotion push next season. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ExSholingSaint said:

So then it is looking like Marsch is the man. We will of course be getting lots of "he's been sacked by such & such team" but let's face facts. 99% of managers have been sacked during their careers, the one's who haven't are the top 1% Pep, Klopp etc. This appointment is probably the best we are going to get so as fans we need to get behind him & the team & be the twelfth man for the rest of the season & maybe we can survive.

If we do go down then hopefully he has got enough about him to keep hold of some of our younger talent & can take them on a promotion push next season. 

This is true. Dyche was well called for on here, but he was sacked by Burnley after all but relegating them.

Even Poch, who was always a non-starter, has been sacked numerous times. Ditto Tuchel. Ditto Koeman, Adkins, etc etc.

If people are against a manager getting appointed because he got sacked previously then your shortlist will probably be 0.

• Like 5

I think the concern around Marsch is fairly well founded.

- He's a lot like Ralph in his formations/style, which clearly stopped working for us for whatever reason
 - He's just been sacked by a relegation rival
 - He's was less successful than Ralph in the RedBull echelons

That said, his first big win for me, is that he's not Jones.
Secondly, he had his Leeds team at least scoring goals. If we're going to go down, and in all likelihood we will, then it would be nice to see a few more goals to make it seem like we're trying to stay up.

Not saying he's my number 1, I'm not really sure who I think is the best man for the job right now, but we could certainly do worse.

• Like 2

I'm not against Marsch being appointed because he's been sacked. I'm against it as it highlights a staggering lack of ambition other than trying to stay up. Maybe we've just been spoilt with the likes of Koeman and Pochettino, but our current club leadership is an absolute shambles.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

I'm not against Marsch being appointed because he's been sacked. I'm against it as it highlights a staggering lack of ambition other than trying to stay up. Maybe we've just been spoilt with the likes of Koeman and Pochettino, but our current club leadership is an absolute shambles.

They both walked when a better offer came along.

Hopefully that at least won't be the problem with Marsch.

18 minutes ago, gecko said:

I think the concern around Marsch is fairly well founded.

- He's a lot like Ralph in his formations/style, which clearly stopped working for us for whatever reason
 - He's just been sacked by a relegation rival
 - He's was less successful than Ralph in the RedBull echelons

That said, his first big win for me, is that he's not Jones.
Secondly, he had his Leeds team at least scoring goals. If we're going to go down, and in all likelihood we will, then it would be nice to see a few more goals to make it seem like we're trying to stay up.

Not saying he's my number 1, I'm not really sure who I think is the best man for the job right now, but we could certainly do worse.

Think/hope this may be overly pessimistic.

It stopped working for Ralph because he largely had utter dross to work with up front for a prolonged period. He overachieved with what he had, but there is only so long a team can keep working like they were, and losing, without morale suffering significantly. The fans turning wouldn't have helped either lets be honest (rightly or wrongly). Marsch will have Sulemana, a fit Lavia, Alcaraz, Onuachu, a bedded in Edozie, KWP back, and hopefully ABK back. The main point being that he won't be reliant on AA, Ely, Adams, and Aribo for goals. Plus he'll hopefully be able to avoid relying on Diallo and AMN as central midfielders - freeing up JWP... May even get Stu back fit.

Ralph's last games with a fully fit squad (which was weaker than the squad we have now), were the unlucky loss to united (who we outplayed), and the Chelsea win... Marsch plays a very similar style to Ralph, so if he can get us back to anywhere near that level he'll have a chance. He isn't as good as Ralph granted, but Ralph with a fit team and a class striker basically achieved a top 4 points over a calendar year... albeit that was before ings got injured / left, and before the injuries and progressive weakening of the squad was exposed.

If Marsch comes in and hits the ground running (a big ask with no time to work with the players), there is a chance he keeps us up. Slim, but its there - he'll have to beat all our relegation rivals... The chelsea game is basically a warm up game for him at this point. Very unlikely to get anything there and the leeds game is the important one.

Leeds away (25th Feb)

Leicester home (4th march)

West Ham away (1st April)

Palace home (15th April)

Bournemouth home (226th April)

Forest Away (6th May)

Some of those are a tough tough ask.

Other possible wins are Fulham home (13th May), Brentford home (15th march), Tottenham home (18th March).

Last 2 games of the season being Brighton away and Liverpool at home... highly likely both those sides are chasing european football. If we're lucky Liverpool's season will have petered out and they're on holiday. But i wouldn't want to rely on getting more than a point from those 2 games. Grim really.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

So who would you have gone for, in our current situation? I don't think it highlights a lack of ambition, I think it just highlights where we are and how we are seen in football circles right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I understand a lot of the arguments being posted here but still cannot escape the feeling that appointing a failed manager from a current relegation rival is fucking mental?

Like when we appointed Hughes, and sent down the club he’d come from? Also parallels with an FA Cup tie against lower league opposition round the corner too!

21 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I understand a lot of the arguments being posted here but still cannot escape the feeling that appointing a failed manager from a current relegation rival is fucking mental?

Look, you just need to get on with changing your username to Messie Jarsch or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Like when we appointed Hughes, and sent down the club he’d come from? Also parallels with an FA Cup tie against lower league opposition round the corner too!

Good point in terms of analogy. If I remember correctly Hughes didn’t replace the donkey until mid-March. Should be a piece of piss for the new man with an extra month. 

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Not clear here, whether this argument is in defence of the Marsch appointment or otherwise.  Hughes was utter dogshit!

3 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

Not clear here, whether this argument is in defence of the Marsch appointment or otherwise.  Hughes was utter dogshit!

Hughes’ main aim was to keep us up, and he achieved it. That allowed us to attract Ralph the following season. If there’s a similar outcome from this appointment then that’s fine by me. 

• Like 2

We need to be backing Jesse Marsch. He definitely is more of a man-manager than our previous two appeared, albeit Ralph was more towards the end of his tenure.

As @Saint86 said above, there’s a lot of the season left to play!

I’ll be backing him, I suggest everyone else does the same (if he’s appointed)!

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I was disappointed when Strachan arrived, having just taken Coventry down. But he did really well for us.

Taking a step back showed he'd also had really good spells with Coventry too. It didn't take long to see improvements in fitness and approach with us.

There are any number of factors involved when things go poorly, not least of which are personnel changes/ transfer policies, injuries, unrealistic expectations etc.

Marsch may have failed in that he got sacked twice. He may not have hit the heights either board was looking for. Posts above outline a lot of reasons for this, alongside decent concerns.

But he he's done plenty of good things in his career and hits a lot of the things we're probably looking for in a manager. There's no suggestion he carries the baggage NJ did even when things were going well for him at Luton. Overall, yes there are some risks there, but it's not a deal breaker just on that alone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I totally agree and think we are done now as we were with Jones in charge. But then i was happy to give Mad Nath a chance but that worked our well, so who the fuck knows. 

• Like 1

So, this guy joins Leeds when they're in 16th place, they finish 17th on the final day and there are still bellends on here trying to convince us/themselves that he has the ability to take us forward?! I despair. This is the final nail in the coffin. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Max said:

So, this guy joins Leeds when they're in 16th place, they finish 17th on the final day and there are still bellends on here trying to convince us/themselves that he has the ability to take us forward?! I despair. This is the final nail in the coffin. 

You dropped one on the floor earlier and still haven't picked it up so technically it's not.

30 minutes ago, Max said:

& your choice of manager would be?????