New Manager

Bakovnetski

I like the work Will Still is doing at Reims and what he has done in the Belgium league. The Dutch media cover quite a bit of the Belgium league and they have been raving about Still. 
However with our league position I think its to early for him. 

For now I would appoint a caretaker manager till the end of the season with the sole task to keep us up and install some confidence. Someone who knows the league like Benitez. 

Then in the summer go searching for a manager with a clear vision, known for improving players and getting the best out of them. Would like to see someone like Slot (Feyenoord) or Valverde (Bilbao).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure this is overly helpful. Regardless of anyone's opinion of Jones I don't think he will be replaced this season and certsinly not anytime soon.

SR have just backed him with a lot of signings and also paid a considerable fee to get him in the first place.

Ankersen doesn't strike me as someone who would cash out so soon after placing a bet, and he was the driver behind getting Jones.

Yes he needs to get results, and fast - but surely now is the time for fans to get behind the team as they try to get the points we badly need rather than there being a constant atmosphere around the manager?

No wonder we are better away.

• Like 8

Been told Carrick is very high on the list BUT Jones is not going anywhere this season as it stands.

I personally can’t see Carrick coming in next for Saints unless Boro fail promotion this season.

PS Sports Republic targeted Jones last summer by offering him the job but he turned us down saying he wasn’t ready. Why oh why they and Jones thought it was the right time I have no idea.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

But, if for arguement sakes we lose the next four games, would the position change? 

I don’t think it’ll take that, if we lose to Brentford then Wolves next week the atmosphere will be so toxic I really don’t see how they can carry on. Bloody hell they are hiding him from the forum…..how many times has that happened to a new manager anywhere, but just at Southampton!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Been told Carrick is very high on the list BUT Jones is not going anywhere this season as it stands.

I personally can’t see Carrick coming in next for Saints unless Boro fail promotion this season.

A manager since October. Staggering that we would consider someone with less of a track record than Jones. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

PS Sports Republic targeted Jones last summer by offering him the job but he turned us down saying he wasn’t ready. Why oh why they and Jones thought it was the right time I have no idea.

Worrying. You’d have thought after this stupid experiment, SR would have learned. 

Carrick seems a very reactionary appointment with no real plan, after a nothing more than handful of decent games in the championship. That’s not to say that he won’t go on to be a good manager, but there’s a lot of unknowns at the minute. Too many for my liking. 

Maybe worth the risk next season in the championship, not if we pull the trigger on Jones this season. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Stick with him for now, we don’t have much choice. I still think he/we will turn things around.

The thing is, we do. 

Whilst it isn’t great reading, we’re still a PL club who has a chance of staying up, and that alone would attract 90% of available managers out there. 

i wish I had your optimism, I think we’re fucked under Jones. 

• Like 16

53 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I'm not sure this is overly helpful. Regardless of anyone's opinion of Jones I don't think he will be replaced this season and certsinly not anytime soon.

SR have just backed him with a lot of signings and also paid a considerable fee to get him in the first place.

Ankersen doesn't strike me as someone who would cash out so soon after placing a bet, and he was the driver behind getting Jones.

Yes he needs to get results, and fast - but surely now is the time for fans to get behind the team as they try to get the points we badly need rather than there being a constant atmosphere around the manager?

No wonder we are better away.

This.

Jones is here at least until the end of the season and probably longer. Looking for reasons to make things even worse for him just plays into the hands of our opponents. We need points and points are more likely with a supportive fan base.

OK I guess to criticise him here but at least support the team and him during a match. The away fans at Newcastle showed how to do it despite the odd team he chose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

He’s still not ready

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The one who’s just been appointed manager of Belgium, or another one 😉

I’m still praying that Potter gets sacked imminently and we can get him.

In all seriousness, though, as much as Jones appears way out of his depth our board appointed him a few weeks ago and aren’t sacking him any time soon. It’s a bit distasteful having this thread when he’s our manager and will be for the foreseeable. IMHO

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

I imagine he was bruised after Stoke, and wanted to see if he could recapture his Luton mojo, and carry that into a strong championship season. A premier League job wasn't going to come up often, it was the next step without getting a team promoted, and his back 5, stats based approach matched Rasmus. Not short on self belief, like lots of managers, it was the right time. Oh, and that he'd failed at Stoke, and done a lot of self appraisal over it, was a big hit too. It couldn't go horribly wrong twice, after all. 🙂

He has time to turn it around this season. It would have been far better had he not got the reinforcements in at the last minute. Considering how long SR stuck with Ralph, I don't see NJ going anywhere, if there are some clear signs of progress with the new look attack. We'd have to be getting thumped, *and* have Forest like performances, for a change to happen.

• Like 1

FFS, can you lot who have talked yourselves into a insular circular pit of toxic negativity not limit yourselves to one thread?

We're a whole 3 points off 14th, and have just spent 60million 

give it an blooming rest.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Nolan said:

FFS, can you lot who have talked yourselves into a insular circular pit of toxic negativity not limit yourselves to one thread?

Quite. It's pretty entertaining reading some of the posts though. The angrier people get the more it makes me laugh.

I'd piss myself if we played 5 at the back tomorrow and won. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Just for clarity sake, the intention of this thread was not to debate the pros and cons of NJ at all, nor how long his tenure may be,  but more a thought to who the collective may think would suit us when there is the next inevitable change in manager.

4 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

Just for clarity sake, the intention of this thread was not to debate the pros and cons of NJ at all, nor how long his tenure may be,  but more a thought to who the collective may think would suit us when there is the next inevitable change in manager.

Personally I think Jones tenure at Saints will be so long that his replacement hasn't even been born yet.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

NJ *is* the next manager.

The one after that is a foetus currently coaching a German under 8s team. Rasmus will sabotage the foetus' bid for under 12 team glory, to teach it failure, and despair. Only then, will it be ready to take over our first team. 🙂

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Or to put it another way we need 26 points from 18 games - 7 wins and 5 draws - to be safe, leaving only 6 defeats…...

How likely is that? We have a better chance of finding a lake of warm custard on the moon.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Or to put it another way we need 26 points from 18 games - 7 wins and 5 draws - to be safe, leaving only 6 defeats…...

How likely is that? We have a better chance of finding a lake of warm custard on the moon.

We don't need anything remotely like 26 points to be safe. Jesus wept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Quite. It's pretty entertaining reading some of the posts though. The angrier people get the more it makes me laugh.

I'd piss myself if we played 5 at the back tomorrow and won. 

Willing to go on record saying that neither of the above will happen. 

41 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

we need two to three points more than 3 of the teams around us.

we have lost 7 games by a single goal. five of those because we couldn't score.

I'd say its eminently possible.

3 hours ago, Cumbria Saint said:

This.

Jones is here at least until the end of the season and probably longer. Looking for reasons to make things even worse for him just plays into the hands of our opponents. We need points and points are more likely with a supportive fan base.

OK I guess to criticise him here but at least support the team and him during a match. The away fans at Newcastle showed how to do it despite the odd team he chose.

I wasn’t there but a good friend of mine was and he said walking out after the game en masse the fans were anti Jones. Yes they supported the team (quite rightly) during the game but they were to a man very critical of Jones afterwards. So don’t get confused by the areas the fans give their support 

• Like 2

I was hoping for Gallardo from River Plate but expecting Tedesco. 
Both play the high press as well as progressive possession/ attacking football.

Jones wasn’t even in my nightmares.

I wasn’t happy at his appointment but decided to give him a chance to win me over.

Then came the complete waste of the World Cup break, the 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 long ball football the team are so unsuited to and those press conferences.

we have seen some terrible football as Saints fans - Branfoot anyone - but that was up there with the worst of it.

And now we seem to be going back to it again. I can already see the long ball to Onuachu and the lay off to Sulemana being the cunning plan.

Rasmussen seems determined to turn us into Brentford - and I am not sure that’s a good thing.

I am starting to think the 3-5-2 was forced upon Ralph by Rasmussen - which might explain why Ralph seemed to lose his mojo and it was time for him to go

the real question is who will they find to replace Jones to rebuild the team if/when go down 

surely if we do go down Jones will be so toxic for the fanbase there will be no way back for him 

even if we do stay up I would want to see him replaced in the summer - his football is just too regressive 

it may be aggressive football - but I don’t see any coordinated high press like Ralph implemented - just long balls and fights for the second ball 

and we don’t really seem to have any patterns of play to bring the ball out from the back or attack the opposition

the best we can hope for is some random chaotic wins and lots of JWP free kicks 

I hope I am wrong and Jones will prove me wrong - and we will see a dramatic improvement on the pitch over the next few weeks

But not even playing our best 11 players as the starting team against Newcastle in a League Cup Semi Final didn’t exactly give me hope

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1

• Bakovnetski changed the title to The Original Next Manager Thread (FAO Sports Republic)