New Manager

Bakovnetski

Personally, looking at realistic targets, I’d be going for Nuno. 

Knows the PL and Championship. 
Would make us more defensively sound. 
Plays a back 3, which the senior figures of the club are clearly set on. 

• Like 4

Honestly - and I know I'm going to take some flak for this - I would approach Ralph and see if he wants to come back.

He's had some time off to get some much-needed R&R, he knows the club and the squad, and has shown that he is capable of getting streaks of good form out of them in the past.

I know things had started to go wrong, but a break can do wonders for a person and I genuinely don't believe we would currently be bottom of the league if we hadn't sacked him.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

Sometimes figures speak louder!

Southampton Table position

10/11/2022 18th and 2 points behind 14th position

05/02/2023 Bottom and 2 points behind 19th position

Luton Town Table position

10/11/2022 - 9th position 

05/02/2023 - Joint 3rd

I don't blame Jones for taking the role, ofcourse you want a more prestigious job. I blame whoever appointed him - so who next??

Maybe Rob Edwards from Luton!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Honestly - and I know I'm going to take some flak for this - I would approach Ralph and see if he wants to come back.

He's had some time off to get some much-needed R&R, he knows the club and the squad, and has shown that he is capable of getting streaks of good form out of them in the past.

I know things had started to go wrong, but a break can do wonders for a person and I genuinely don't believe we would currently be bottom of the league if we hadn't sacked him.

Honestly I don't think that is a terrible idea.

Let's just pretend the last three months was some kind of Bobby Ewing bad dream. 

• Haha 10

47 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Definitely some merit / logic in that option.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Honestly I don't think that is a terrible idea.

Let's just pretend the last three months was some kind of Bobby Ewing bad dream. 

That's exactly how the club media team announcement video should be... Prowsey walking into the changing rooms at Staplewood and finding Ralph in the shower 🤣

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Won’t work, he lost the dressing room. 

It’s easy to forget how bad things became under Ralph. Not as bad as Jones, but we were heading for relegation make no mistake. 

Sacking Ralph wasn’t the mistake. Appointing Jones was. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, Turkish said:

We've got a very young inexperienced squad, it needs an experienced manager with a bit of kudos to lead them, we dont need another experiment. 

Agreed. We need a firefighter type at this moment in time. 

Someone who knows the league & possibly the league below - if we appoint long term. 

We need points, we need to start being defensively better so we’re not having to score 2 (or more) every game. 

If we can grind out clean sheets, (maybe head in sand) I think we have enough going forward to steal a game 1-0 on the counter. 

Over attacking managers like Bosz would be a disaster imo. 

Poch is a ridiculous suggestion, he’s clearly not going to come here regardless of how much money is thrown at him. 

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Unbelievable. 90/92 recent form. He’s as big a reason we are in the shit in the first place. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

Won’t work, he lost the dressing room. 

It’s easy to forget how bad things became under Ralph. Not as bad as Jones, but we were heading for relegation make no mistake. 

Sacking Ralph wasn’t the mistake. Appointing Jones was. 

And yet we were playing some good stuff early in the season, got a couple of very well deserved wins (from behind against Chelsea and Leicester), and generally looked OK for the most part. He even had Che scoring fairly regularly. It just all went to shit when Lavia got injured and we had literally nobody capable of playing what is probably the most important role in Ralph's system. It's no coincidence that our collapses in form in the previous two seasons also happened when Romeu got injured.

Given what we know now, if I had been asked to make a binary choice in November between keeping Ralph or replacing him with Jones, it's a no-brainer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A little rumour about a Gary Monk/James Beattie combo going around, not sure where from? A mate sent it which a screenshot from FB, so must have some legs in it.

Shame i didn't see it on Friday as i was talking to Beattie in my golf club, he was there with Tiss and Mark Blake and Leroy Whale. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

A little rumour about a Gary Monk/James Beattie combo going around, not sure where from? A mate sent it which a screenshot from FB, so must have some legs in it.

Shame i didn't see it on Friday as i was talking to Beattie in my golf club, he was there with Tiss and Mark Blake and Leroy Whale. 

Christ !!!

4 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I’d like to see Beattie involved. Thought he spoke well at half time of the Newcastle game. 

Also, Worked with Che before and seemingly helped get the best out of him. 

• Sad 1

Sadly Ralph was done last summer, he was taking us nowhere and played a key role in this ongoing relegation.

The current problem is the replacement, not the sacking.

Fuck knows where we go from here.

We're so crap we're not even the laughing stock - Liverpool have taken that from us too.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

Nuno probably the 'safest' bet amongst those 3 IMO. 

It’s whether we could convince him to come. Remarkable win average in the Prem of 48% at Wolves and 47% at Spurs. Charisma and cool as a cucumber personality, what a tonic compared to Jones. 

Nuno could be a great option if we can align a short-term and long-term goals together. 

If only looking for a short-term option e.g., until the rest of the season, someone with experience like Benítez could be a good option. Although his recent spell at Everton does make one a bit cautious. 

Would like to someone with experience in the Premier League and of fighting relegation. 

Ralph had his time here and don't think he should/would come back. 

Edited by ScandiSaint

33 minutes ago, Dman said:

Agreed. We need a firefighter type at this moment in time. 

Someone who knows the league & possibly the league below - if we appoint long term. 

We need points, we need to start being defensively better so we’re not having to score 2 (or more) every game. 

If we can grind out clean sheets, (maybe head in sand) I think we have enough going forward to steal a game 1-0 on the counter. 

Over attacking managers like Bosz would be a disaster imo. 

Poch is a ridiculous suggestion, he’s clearly not going to come here regardless of how much money is thrown at him. 

I agree in principle but we have a squad set up and capable of playing a much better system. I think a manager with proven pedigree would inspire the squad 

If we appoint a “big Sam” type manager then within a year we will all be moaning again about how the team are playing we don’t have the players for that style of football.

3 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler said:

I agree in principle but we have a squad set up and capable of playing a much better system. I think a manager with proven pedigree would inspire the squad 

If we appoint a “big Sam” type manager then within a year we will all be moaning again about how the team are playing we don’t have the players for that style of football.

Nuno is the one for me. 

• Like 3

I am assuming NJ will be relieved of his duties soon, even after I posted last week it's gone even further downhill😄

I personally would see if Adkins would take the role till the end of the season.

We need a manager who is available in the first instance (seeing as we'd be paying compensation to two bosses). But most importantly we need someone who the fans can unite behind. Ordinarily I don't think this would be as big a priority, but given the toxicity right now it has to be THE top priority.

There is huge respect and love for what he did with us, but also I think a lot of people forget that he actually had started to turn things around before we appointed Pochettino. His career since has been very average, but you cannot deny that fans would be desperate for him to do well.

IMO we have absolutely no hope of staying up unless we can get into a situation where St Mary's is rocking for every game till the end of the season (think the spirit of Dellhurst Park in 1999).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Nuno is the one for me. 

Me too. Would make a solid and better defensively, knows the premier league and championship, would be the best choice long term. The i want to be entertained brigade might not like it though

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Rafa for me. 

Wins the dressing room over straight away, massive premier league experience, could probably convince him to sign a short term contract because of his age.

keeps us up then we get Potter when Chelsea sack him 🤞

I like this idea. I’d prefer Nuno but don’t think he’d come - yes he wants to rebuild his reputation but we’re good as down so relegation won’t help on that score, plus I imagine he’s on a fortune in Saudi; his team are also joint top so he might want to see that out. Might have been interested when we got Jones but not right now.

I think Potter will want a break after Chelsea - assuming he goes before season end, the earliest we’d get him is beginning of next season I think. Of course, that’s if he goes at all.

Either way our chances of getting the right long-term candidate right now is almost zero. A Rafa character would command respect, get us organised and give us the best chance of somehow escaping IMHO

Edited by Chewy
Typo

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Me too. Would make a solid and better defensively, knows the premier league and championship, would be the best choice long term. The i want to be entertained brigade might not like it though

I think player for player, we have a similar set up / type of player to Wolves under him. 

I think the 343 he implemented there could work well for us. Providing he can coach and implement a back 3, which both Jones and Ralph have failed at. 

He also made Matt Doherty look like a top player, could he do the same to Bree? With bree’s delivery, he could be a dangerous option out there 

• Like 1

In order to stay up it feels as though we need to appoint a big enough name in order to command immediate respect from the squad but also someone who knows how to handle a relegation scrap.

Those two things don’t often go hand in hand. Big name managers generally manage clubs at the right end of the table. 

11 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Obviously I would also support this 😊 as I don't think we should have sacked him in the first place. What should have happened is SR should have given him the godamn striker they promised as well as a CDM - instead they hung him, and ultimately the playing squad, out to dry - sending them off for half a season with a sieve for defensive midfield, and a bunch of blunt wooden spoons in attack.

I still don't personally understand how as a fanbase overall, we seemingly expected to stay in the premier league whilst starting Che Adams and AA up front, Ely / Aribo / Walcott as wingers/attacking mids, and Diallo and AMN in central midfield... That just isn't a thing. And yet, Ralph had us 3 points off 12th with that squad, with our makeshift selection of blunt attackers somehow sitting 13th for xG, and truthfully 15th for goals conceded isn't that bad... Neither of those stats sits you in the relegation zone, it was our 18th for goals scored thats seen to that. But he also had bad injuries to contend with (KWP, Lavia, ABK, and Tino), as well as having to gel a lot of young and inexperienced players this season (something Jones should be getting some benefit from), and not to mention having played all the best sides in his 15games.

Just for reference, Jones' tenureship has seen us drop to 15th for xG, and 19th for goals against. We're now 17th for goals scored - technically a slight improvement, but actually we're level with Notts Forest on 17 goals each. Only everton and wolves have scored fewer. So jones' has had easier games, a prolonged period to work with the players, and we've very clearly got worse.

Also in defence of Ralph, he never had Ings properly replaced by the previous owners (or SR), and then he didn't even get the 20year old sporadic loanee broja replaced, he lost his defensive Midfield lyncpin in Romeu which was bound to upset the side's balance, and then he lost his replacement in lavia with no cover seemingly provided - all of which meant he had to either play Diallo or AMN as our anchor, or sacrifice our best player attacking/creative player in JWP as an anchor man... To justify his sacking, as a fanbase we must have deemed him to have been doing appallingly against the expectations to warrant sacking? So i can only assume we were expecting the side to be top 10 or chasing europe?!?! Esecially when you consider the above mitigations. In his last game with a fully fit squad he beat chelsea and we played superbly - but that ofc was the last game Ralph played with a Lavia. The weak before that we comfortably outplayed united and we were very unlucky not to win that game imo, let alone lose it. But with a full strength squad, let alone proper backing this january, its extremely unlikely he'd have taken us down... I would have backed him for midtable with a striker and CDM cover in the summer... Maybe ralph suffered because of how good the team played when they were full strength and had a quality striker at the top end... For periods he had us playing like a European chasing team - some happy memories there.

Its a real shame, because if we'd kept him we would very likely have stayed up - even if he was starting to show the strain of the fans turning and the good backing by SR. Now the writing really is on the wall, and unless the manager situation and fan toxicity is resolved PDQ, we're staring into an abyss.

Anyway, it is done now, and Jones is certainly a car crash that the fans have entirely united against. I agree we could certainly do worse that reapproach ralph - Presumably we are paying his wages at the moment anyway? 😆🤣 But whoever we turn to, it would take a miracle to turn this squad / season around now. As a fanbase we will badly need to be more realistic for the next manager. We turned on a manager that would have kept us up, and then we've given his replacement (not that he is very likeable) no real chance...  And now we have a unanimously toxic atmosphere amongst the fans and a fractured dressing room... There are precious few managers in world football who could turn that around... 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Dimplex said:

Has to be someone with Premier League experience and can command instant respect from the players and unite the club. So for me thats Benitez, Bielsa or Nuno. 

Bielsa puts more players on the treatment table than on the pitch lol

17 hours ago, Marsdinho said:

Marcelo Gallardo is out of work at the moment. No prem experience obviously, but has done pretty well with River Plate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Gallardo

I'd give him a go tbh, he'd certainly sort the atmosphere and the dressing room out here. Only question is whether he'd by into doing what SR want re selections and asset development.

7 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

In the same way people thought Boris coming back as PM would be a good idea after Liz Truss.

• Like 2

Genuinely don’t think Marsch would be a bad appointment for us.  He came in and kept Leeds up last season when they looked doomed.  Then they sold their two star players in the summer, Phillips and Raphinha.  They tend to have lost tight games, have had Bamford injured most of the season and have a pretty weak squad.

I wanted Benitez, Cooper or Dyche back in the summer all of whom were achievable then.  Rafa still is, I would add Marsch, Gerrard and Nuno as other Premier League experienced managers all out of work.  Don’t think Lampard would be credible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Puel, he did a marvellous job , finished 7th in the PL and his team were robbed in a cup final. Weird his fans didnt want him to stay. Oh to be in that position now

I must have missed that bit.

And if you think that "being robbed" involves letting in three goals I have some news for you.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I must have missed that bit.

And if you think that "being robbed" involves letting in three goals I have some news for you.

Was it 6th or 8th then. As you well know, had we gone in front the result may well have been different. We still were a lot better than 95% of the time since

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Who reckons Ralph will end up at Leeds?

I genuinely don't see him going back into management, might be wrong but I think this job took a shit load out of him. He'll end up as some sort of Technical Advisor going forward.

• Like 2

• Bakovnetski changed the title to The Original Next Manager Thread (FAO Sports Republic)