New Manager

Bakovnetski

The squad is an utter mess now anyway thanks to SR's scatter gun recruitment, hard to see what kind of manager it would suit. We've gone from hard working pressing focussed players, to promising young technical but inexperienced kids, to Onochua (who can't run, control the ball, or last 60min in the Juniper pro league)...

Actually horrific what SR have done to the club. The scouting setup has been dismantled, they've got no interest in the academy, and they have tied a financial ball and chain around our the club that may drag us to the abyss if it all really goes tits up. Hard for it to be worse tbh.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

I would happily take Adkins to the end of the season.  Bring some much needed positivity and unite the club. We are already down.

SR are terrible owners.  Oh so smart and ignoring the Academy which is starting to flourish.

I am ashamed of our club

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 03/02/2023 at 17:30, Sarisbury Saint said:

Stick with him for now, we don’t have much choice. I still think he/we will turn things around.

Okay, hands up, I think today was going to be the turning point.

Everton looked a different team today,

thats what we needed : Dyche could have saved us, Jones can’t get this team to perform, so time is up I feel.

• Like 5

Lampard or Gerrard?..............or mybe Nigel?................but would the players respond to Nigel?.............bloody hell if we were Watford hed ave gone by now ,surely this has to stop. Their 2nd today,if i recall 3 players tentatively tried to get the ball and make a tackle ,only for the ball to favorably ricochet in the path of one of theres,who the floated the ball onward s the rest  is goal........

We need to get an impact manager in now because we really are touching cloth.

No trying to be clever or thinking long term. Just get someone in with some knowhow who will lift the players, get them organised and working as a team.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 3

Bielsa is not the answer when we have Bazunu in goal. 

You can’t play a high press and have a keeper that doesn’t make many saves because you will get caught out at times playing high up the pitch and he is a catastrophe. 

We just need a no nonsense manager who commands respect, nothing fancy on the pitch but knows how to grind out results. Unfortunately he’s gone to one of our relegation rivals. 

16 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Bielsa is not the answer when we have Bazunu in goal. 

You can’t play a high press and have a keeper that doesn’t make many saves because you will get caught out at times playing high up the pitch and he is a catastrophe. 

We just need a no nonsense manager who commands respect, nothing fancy on the pitch but knows how to grind out results. Unfortunately he’s gone to one of our relegation rivals. 

put willy in goal then argentine connection. 

I know it won't happen but can't help dreaming of SR getting ambitious, offering Poch silly money and promise of backing to take us to Europe. 

Or even silly money to sort us out for 3 months. 

But won't happen. 

Or Bielsa come in, even if he wants to work with young players for rest of season, with Poch taking first team. 

I can dream. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Adkins is the ultimate happy clapper full of banal meaningless slogans and insincere positivity and like Jones is not a PL manager in a month of Sundays 

Nigel Adkins did a tremendous job for the club so seems churlish to criticise him with talk of meaningless slogans and insincere positivity. Most fans loved the guy and feel he played a big part in our history. He achieved back to back promotions and some of the football under him was superb. I'm not one of those fans suggesting he could do a job now because that would probably lead to his legacy being tarnished.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, AngusHyd said:

A long shot but I’d take Rafa Benitez in a heartbeat. Although in a miraculous world, Pochettino 

I agree. We seem to be spending a bit of money as well so that might appeal to Rafa. The clubs position may not however..

10 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Don’t want Bielsa.  He’s a one-trick pony.

Wouldn’t you want all the sky pundits going on about how mental it is to watch us, how people would say “anything can happen” when watching us? The hype around Leeds performances there was ridiculous 

I don’t think Bielsa is the man for us, certainly not in the short term anyway.. he needs too long to work on his intricacies even if a lot of his tactical approach fits with our philosophies

I genuinely don’t know who could rescue us from this mess right now to be honest… I don’t think I’m miles away from saying ‘get Allardyce in short term’ I’m that desperate 

I just don’t see Poch as a viable appointment, he won’t come here, not in our current predicament and after PSG damaged his stock

Ideally Id of liked Tedesco but again I think he’d need time to bed in his systems and looks off to Belgium

Edited by Smirking_Saint

Bringing back Mauricio Pottechino would be a dream but its never going to happen. Ronald Koeman you would have thought would be achievable and would steady the ship but, never go back is often a valuable lesson. 

No to Bielsa for me, we would get torn a new one more often than not. If not Koeman I would take Nuno, ex Wolves and Spuds

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

would anyone take adkins as interim till end of the season? 

Would be unfair on him. His achievements at the club were significant and most of us fondly remember him as a likeable guy - let's not risk tarnishing that by inviting him into the middle of the current shitshow presided over by Semmens, Ankersen and Jones.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Bringing back Mauricio Pottechino would be a dream but its never going to happen. Ronald Koeman you would have thought would be achievable and would steady the ship but, never go back is often a valuable lesson. 

No to Bielsa for me, we would get torn a new one more often than not. If not Koeman I would take Nuno, ex Wolves and Spuds

Nuno is a good shout, ex keeper aswell.................defence at wolves seemed solid.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If we’re getting the old band back together, I’d rather have Lallana or Fonte.  

I don’t really care, the thought is if we’re getting a manager till the end of the season, it better not be fucking selles 

is it cheating if lallana retires to become our manager then becomes player manager, thus getting past transfer window rules

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

is it cheating if lallana retires to become our manager then becomes player manager, thus getting past transfer window rules

The days of the player manager have gone, I also think there’s licensing issues nowadays. You have to have Les Reed or some other FA chump teaching you to pass an exam. Being an international, an intelligent top flight  player and playing as well as learning under some innovative managers won’t cut it. I doubt he can read a spreadsheet either….

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roo1976 said:

Nuno is a good shout, ex keeper aswell.................defence at wolves seemed solid.

Nuno is the one for me although he got a job in Saudi at the moment. Would make us solid and tough to beat, knows the league, doubt he’d want it though 

• Like 1

"....and, with poetic irony, the manager who brought Southampton back into the Premier League is just about to take them right back down again with defeat today"

We don't need the TV commentators and the bloody quiz writers going on about that forever. Absolutely no.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

• Bakovnetski changed the title to The Original Next Manager Thread (FAO Sports Republic)