New Manager

Bakovnetski

I agree that our form suggests limping to relegation, but it’s by no means a mathematical certainty yet.

We’re 4 (although effectively 5) points from safety with 16 matches left. Nearly half a season.

We’ve signed some decent players in the last 2 windows who a competent manager could theoretically pick and form into a competitive team.

20 points from our 16 remaining games would probably be enough to stay up this season - if we sign the right manager, and very soon!! Odds are very much against us, but it’s still too early to give up.

I think we need to accept that we have players bought to play one way, high risk, high press, and pick a manager who fits that. Big Sam etc won’t suit that (as the R#*^*p gamble didn’t work in 2005).

We were supposed to have a ‘playbook’ every age group playing the same style etc - which makes the Jones appointment even weirder.

Let’s get back to what we’re best at. Have a try for another 90s style Great Escape. We’ll probably go down anyway, so we may as well be positive and play exciting football again. Whats the worst that can happen?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Simon3737 said:

I agree that our form suggests limping to relegation, but it’s by no means a mathematical certainty yet.

We’re 4 (although effectively 5) points from safety with 16 matches left. Nearly half a season.

We’ve signed some decent players in the last 2 windows who a competent manager could theoretically pick and form into a competitive team.

20 points from our 16 remaining games would probably be enough to stay up this season - if we sign the right manager, and very soon!! Odds are very much against us, but it’s still too early to give up.

I think we need to accept that we have players bought to play one way, high risk, high press, and pick a manager who fits that. Big Sam etc won’t suit that (as the R#*^*p gamble didn’t work in 2005).

We were supposed to have a ‘playbook’ every age group playing the same style etc - which makes the Jones appointment even weirder.

Let’s get back to what we’re best at. Have a try for another 90s style Great Escape. We’ll probably go down anyway, so we may as well be positive and play exciting football again. Whats the worst that can happen?

I don't think it's worth the emotional rollercoaster to be honest. The run we've just had (Fixture wise) was our best run of 'winnable' games, and we lost almost 100% of them. I don't see how this team turns around 23 defeats out of 34 games and becomes a team that wins around half of it's remaining games, which include Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool etc.

This team has shown it isn't capable of performing when the going gets tough in-game, they are absolutely drowning when the going has got tough in-season.

For us to survive we would need to be better than Bournemouth, West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Leeds, Forest. I just don't see any possibility of that being a thing, I'm resigned to it. I just hope we don't finish 20th, I just see us battling with Bournemouth for that bottom spot. No more than that.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think it's worth the emotional rollercoaster to be honest. The run we've just had (Fixture wise) was our best run of 'winnable' games, and we lost almost 100% of them. I don't see how this team turns around 23 defeats out of 34 games and becomes a team that wins around half of it's remaining games, which include Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool etc.

This team has shown it isn't capable of performing when the going gets tough in-game, they are absolutely drowning when the going has got tough in-season.

For us to survive we would need to be better than Bournemouth, West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Leeds, Forest. I just don't see any possibility of that being a thing, I'm resigned to it. I just hope we don't finish 20th, I just see us battling with Bournemouth for that bottom spot. No more than that.

I just want to see us getting some mome tum for a promotion charge next year. That's why form needs to improve so we don't have a malaise into next year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I just want to see us getting some mome tum for a promotion charge next year. That's why form needs to improve so we don't have a malaise into next year. 

Oh yeah I agree, I don't think it's beyond the realms to expect us to get a couple of wins and maybe finish mid-high 20's, but that's probably as good as it'll get.  But even that will be tons better than what we've had to put up with in recent months.

9 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I want Bruno Lage. It won't be pretty but he'll sort the defence out.

I thought I might be briefly ITK last weekend when reliably informed it would be Lage and Selles, but hopes dashed as they clinged to the Nat wreckage for another week. Think he has to go now or it’s insult to injury imposed on the fans by the club. 

• Like 1

I've wanted Marcelo Gallardo as our manager for quite some time.

Was very excited at the potential for us when he was heavily linked prior to appointing some backward fuck from a welsh mining village, and disappointed we missed out on the opportunity.

He was one of my favourite players during my younger years. Ooozed class and composure, fantastic technical abilty, and has spades of the all important paassshhhuuun!

Very intelligent man, sound tactictician, and highly rated by other intellligent football people in the game.

Sadly that ship may have sailed for us again this time around, but if we could offer him an enticing enough package to come in and try to keep us up, with a break clause not to stand in his way if a top continental Club come in for him if we do go down. It has to be worth at least sounding the great man out.

6 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

I thought I might be briefly ITK last weekend when reliably informed it would be Lage and Selles, but hopes dashed as they clinged to the Nat wreckage for another week. Think he has to go now or it’s insult to injury imposed on the fans by the club. 

Yeah get me back on that iberian chill out mix for this weekend.

Didnt really watch Lage so no idea what his style was but i know it wasnt goal scoring though although you'd hope he'd be more emery than jones in the bounce back from failure type

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Yeah get me back on that iberian chill out mix for this weekend.

Didnt really watch Lage so no idea what his style was but i know it wasnt goal scoring though although you'd hope he'd be more emery than jones in the bounce back from failure type

I think that there are other candidates that I’d prefer personally, but Lage would likely feel like a thought out consumate  professional after the debacle that is Nathan Jones. He’s an organiser and would set us up effectively. I get the criticism of underperforming players, but this is arguably the best squad we’ve had in years and it would at least be interesting in the remaining games to see them effectively managed. That way, there would be an outside chance of some of the talent staying post relegation to regroup. Ankersen needs to stop sulking and own his cardinal error as stubbornness and indecisiveness have now been added to his serious character flaws. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I can't remember many occassions like this where a team has made a change in such a dire situation, got relegated and then stuck with the manager from the end of the previous season.

If they can find the right person then it might work, but if they do and that person struggles in what is now a very difficult situation then their impact next season and relationship with the fans might already be compromised.

I can see why a manager til the end of the season and then another new manager in the summer, with a totally fresh start and different set of objectives might be a more sensible approach.

Equally, the club can't be seen to be giving up on this season at the moment when its still possibly, albeit unlikely, to stay up.

Will be interesting to see what direction they take, but if its a long term view then 100% Wilcox needs to be aligned, even if he isnt officially in role.

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I can't remember many occassions like this where a team has made a change in such a dire situation, got relegated and then stuck with the manager from the end of the previous season.

If they can find the right person then it might work, but if they do and that person struggles in what is now a very difficult situation then their impact next season and relationship with the fans might already be compromised.

I can see why a manager til the end of the season and then another new manager in the summer, with a totally fresh start and different set of objectives might be a more sensible approach.

Equally, the club can't be seen to be giving up on this season at the moment when its still possibly, albeit unlikely, to stay up.

Will be interesting to see what direction they take, but if its a long term view then 100% Wilcox needs to be aligned, even if he isnt officially in role.

Yes maybe. This is quite a unique situation though given how few teams have three managers over a season (certainly not with this many games left.)

Best case scenario is Selles doing a Mike Jackson at Burnley last season (albeit less games than we have now) - they looked dead and buried then sacked Dyche, but managed to win them a few games and almost kept them up - giving a bit of momentum going into this season and they’re flying.

Or something like when Newcastle hired Benitez, seemed to give the fan base and lift and although they still went down, gave the belief going into the following season and came straight back up. Again though, he had less games than we have now.

Issue we have is there’s still a large chunk of the season left and it’s vital we don’t just limp to the end - if we do, can’t see us coming back next year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

What experience, if any, has Jason Wilcox got in the business of identifying and selecting Premier League managers? Maybe he has a lot but I would like to know before we start suggesting it be part of his remit. I get that the current clowns running the club have failed miserably and, as I've said before, I have zero confidence that they know how to run a Premier League football club.

• Like 1

saintant we have no one running the club who has the slightest idea about the football side of the club. Jason Wilcox played at the highest level, albeit 20 ish years ago, he has been at the best club in the country and has hopefully learnt a bit from the senior management along the way. Most importantly it would be very surprising if he does not have some pretty decent footballing contacts. Ankersen cannot and dare not fail again, he has three choices - 1 -  Go down the metric/ stats route   2 -   Speak to the only real football person at the club [ If he has not yet started at club, he surely has to speak to him      3 -  Speak to football  people outside club.

If Ankersen has any sense it has to be 2 or 3 and will his ego let him speak to outside football people. I am not saying Wilcoxs input is going to be amazing, but it has to be the best option we currently have.

• Like 1

Now that the Jones experiment is over, who - and when - will the new manager be in place?

• Steven Gerrard - 3/1
  • Jesse Marsch - 4/1
  • Marcelo Gallardo - 6/1
  • Sam Allardyce - 8/1
  • Mauricio Pochettino - 9/1
  • Rubén Sellés - 9/1
  • 10/1 bar

one man for me, and that’s Poch, but can’t see it happening unfortunately 

• Haha 1

Some additional names on the betfair odds, although I'm not sure how out of date they are given that Dominico has just become Belgium manager.

Marcelo Bielsa 7/2

Ralph Hasenhuttl 6/1

Nuno Espirito Santo 10/1

Rafael Benitez 10/1

Domenico Tedesco 10/1

Steven Gerrard 12/1

Frank Lampard 12/1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Watson said:

saintant we have no one running the club who has the slightest idea about the football side of the club. Jason Wilcox played at the highest level, albeit 20 ish years ago, he has been at the best club in the country and has hopefully learnt a bit from the senior management along the way. Most importantly it would be very surprising if he does not have some pretty decent footballing contacts. Ankersen cannot and dare not fail again, he has three choices - 1 -  Go down the metric/ stats route   2 -   Speak to the only real football person at the club [ If he has not yet started at club, he surely has to speak to him      3 -  Speak to football  people outside club.

If Ankersen has any sense it has to be 2 or 3 and will his ego let him speak to outside football people. I am not saying Wilcoxs input is going to be amazing, but it has to be the best option we currently have.

I certainly agree that we have no one running the club who has the slightest idea about football which leaves us in a perilous position. Wilcox would probably have more ideas on the managerial front than the current clowns but he is not currently an employee unless I'm mistaken. Like a rudderless ship we have crashed on the rocks and I'm not sure we have anyone at the club capable of steering the ship to a safe haven before it is completely destroyed by the rocks.

6 minutes ago, SO16_Saint said:

Now that the Jones experiment is over, who - and when - will the new manager be in place?

• Steven Gerrard - 3/1
  • Jesse Marsch - 4/1
  • Marcelo Gallardo - 6/1
  • Sam Allardyce - 8/1
  • Mauricio Pochettino - 9/1
  • Rubén Sellés - 9/1
  • 10/1 bar

one man for me, and that’s Poch, but can’t see it happening unfortunately 

Pay the man what it's worth and he can leave after keeping us up.... We can dream 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SO16_Saint said:

There are some really good names out there, but too good for us right now.  We’re a mess.

I’d like to think SR have been planning this, and we will have someone in place by Tuesday.  

I expect however that it will be after Chelsea.

You'd like to think SR have been planning this? You have far more confidence in them than I do. I'd like to think they'll put identifying and appointing a new manager in the hands of someone who knows about football - that rules out the current set of clowns. Don't know if there's a precedent but maybe they should leave it to someone outside the club on a consultative basis. 

• Haha 1

Pochettino is the obvious choice if we’re able to convince him to come in, although that seems unlikely.

Doesn’t seem to be in the frame atm, but I wouldn’t be against Adkins coming in, since he was always good at getting the players to shut everything else out and focus on the next game. He probably wouldn’t be the worst option in the Championship next season either, if we don’t manage to somehow drag ourselves out of the bottom three (or two, depending on what happens with Man City)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

I honestly think this squad needs a "name" not a clever appointment who the players will respect, get some wins and avoid relegation - still possible.

Bielsa, Pochettino, Gerrard. 

I make zero apologies for wanting one of them as manager in my opinion.

Yep someone to come in and lead them. It’s a young inexperienced squad, the last thing we need is an inexperienced manager as well. My preference would be Nuno but don’t know if that’s viable. Pochetino won’t come here. 

I don’t think anyone can save us anyway,  players aren’t good enough, we need to score at least twice to win a game because we are so crap defensively and with our keeper and we have crap strikers. 

• Like 2

I think for gravitas, organisation and to tie us over until the summer I’d like Rafa. I doubt that’s who we’ll get.

I don’t want to overdo my moaning, but if Ankersen is in charge of the process I’m not optimistic. Chose Jones in the first place, just cost us another week and 3 points delaying the inevitable to protect his ego. The man should be nowhere near this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

Pochettino is the obvious choice if we’re able to convince him to come in, although that seems unlikely.

Doesn’t seem to be in the frame atm, but I wouldn’t be against Adkins coming in, since he was always good at getting the players to shut everything else out and focus on the next game. He probably wouldn’t be the worst option in the Championship next season either, if we don’t manage to somehow drag ourselves out of the bottom three (or two, depending on what happens with Man City)

No! Not Adkins. He has failed everywhere after leaving us. We need top bracket now, not another lower league experiment, please.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

He’s basically been awful ever since he’s left us. 

Adkins that is 

• Bakovnetski changed the title to The Original Next Manager Thread (FAO Sports Republic)