New Manager

Bakovnetski

Find a  someone  who's managed a club in " some country's"  top league for a few years - (not bothered if they've won anything), but 

has successfully kept their club above the drop zone on a regular basis by playing attacking football with any sort of  formation.

Can coach young players well, and speak reasonable English (and get by with 2 or 3 other languages) so that the message goes home to the entire squad

especially as we have a goodly number of players who don't know how to handle an interview...  let alone pass a ball 10 yards.

Maybe not a Lampard or Gerrard, as they always tended to look down on Saints when they were players...and would cost too much anyway,  

and definitely not  one of the recently sacked Prem. managers who has already failed to deliver elsewhere... 

• Like 2

When we sacked Ralph, we weren't in that bad of a position and a half decent manager would have kept us up, but it is looking more like we are going to be in the Chamionship next season.

With that in mind, I'd like us to try and build upon Ralph's work in the Champ with a similar manager.

I honestly think the club should seriously consider Danny Rohl. Obviously a risk getting someone who hasn't managed before, but there are plenty of recent success stories - Arteta being the biggest one.

He knows the club, knows Ralph's style of play and helped keep us up before. But, importantly, he had massive success at Bayern Munich helping Flick win the CL, so is used to working with a style of play that can dominate a league (which would be necessary in the Championship).

Like Kompany at Burnley, he would have the players to dominate in the Championship playing a style he knows well. He will then use his experience from coaching with us and Leipzig to get us to play aggressive football with our young players, which gets us results punching above our weight.

Edited by Luke SkyWalker-Peters
  • Like 10

17 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Find a  someone  who's managed a club in " some country's"  top league for a few years - (not bothered if they've won anything), but 

has successfully kept their club above the drop zone on a regular basis by playing attacking football with any sort of  formation.

Can coach young players well, and speak reasonable English (and get by with 2 or 3 other languages) so that the message goes home to the entire squad

especially as we have a goodly number of players who don't know how to handle an interview...  let alone pass a ball 10 yards.

Maybe not a Lampard or Gerrard, as they always tended to look down on Saints when they were players...and would cost too much anyway,  

and definitely not  one of the recently sacked Prem. managers who has already failed to deliver elsewhere... 

Bosz

I think we need to be realistic here - barring a miracle we are going down this season so whoever is the next manager at Saints will have to be willing to take on a rebuilding job over the summer and push for a promotion back to the premier league next season - and one that is not guaranteed

right now Kompany is far more likely to be a Premier League manager next season if he stays at Burnley than if he moves to Saints

I think we are probably looking at someone from a league outside the top 5 leagues who needs to prove himself at a higher level before managing in a top 5 league - and the Championship would be perfect for that.   Just like Kompany did last summer.  Knutsen from Bodo/Glimt for  example.  

Similarly Carrick probably has a better chance of being a premier league manager in the long run sticking with Boro - he will either get them promoted this season or next or get a premier league job at a stable club after another good season in the Championship 

Jones is certainly part of the problem right now but I am not sure any manager would succeed with our current batch of players.  I certainly have no idea what his front foot aggressive football looks like - although the evidence so far suggest its direct long ball football and fighting for the second ball.  A statistics based approach that I thought was long gone at the top level along with Don Howe and his coaching manuals.

But too many players (Diallo, Djneppo, Aribo, Bednarek, Adams, Elyounoussi, Armstrong, Maitland-Niles, Lycano, Bree) just aren't good enough for the premier league and many others just don't have enough experience whether they are good enough or not (Larios, Lavia, ABK, Edozie, Mara, Alcaraz, Bazunu).

(and those lists aren't exhaustive)

And we still have big holes in the squad - we are still missing a real alternative at left back and defensive midfielder. 

Sports Republic have to take the responsibility for bringing in Jones and his metrics - but also for the make up of the squad - for the focus on youthful players with potential and greater resale value rather then players that would actually improve the first team right here and now in the summer. And above all else for not signing at least one if not two goal scorers in the summer, replacing Romeu in the middle and not signing an experienced first choice goalkeeper.  

I think the January signings were probably too little too late to make the difference needed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Appy said:

Think we end up with Gerrard at some point 

Weirdly I think the same, purely for the “pulling power”. 

The lure of walking with a good former footballer, as opposed to an average manager.

We aren’t an attractive club given our league position.

Would quite like to see us go for the RB Salzburg manager, or Ange at Celtic. 
Just pay out and do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The lure of walking with a good former footballer, as opposed to an average manager.

Just pay out and do it.

Why would Ange leave one of the biggest clubs in Great Britain?

He is under very little pressure in Scottish football compared to the difficulties of managing a basket club like ours

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Why would Ange leave one of the biggest clubs in Great Britain?

He is under very little pressure in Scottish football compared to the difficulties of managing a basket club like ours

You could probably get a number of managers if you pay them the right amount of money.

I agree, he has a very easy life up there and could easily get a better job at a bigger club.

Managers that have been out the game all season (Poch for example), pay them the right amount and I reckon they’d join on a shortish term deal.

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You could probably get a number of managers if you pay them the right amount of money.

I agree, he has a very easy life up there and could easily get a better job at a bigger club.

Managers that have been out the game all season (Poch for example), pay them the right amount and I reckon they’d join on a shortish term deal.

But they have to meet the criteria Rasmus wants which is the problem here. 
There were loads available yet we went for Jones which so far has been nuts

12 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

But they have to meet the criteria Rasmus wants which is the problem here. 
There were loads available yet we went for Jones which so far has been nuts

The thing is if we sack Nathan Jones now it’s going to be even harder to find a new manager now as our league position has slipped more, the transfer window is over and they’ll have these players to work with rather than them making an assessment and seeing whether they want to bring in their own.

The only way we can counter all this is by throwing more money at someone to takeover and offering something in the managers favour.

Whether that include high wages, relation release clauses, option of an extra year, big team release clause etc.

The fact that Rasmus’ ideal manager is all based on spreadsheets and graphs, I’d say so far he’s been largely unsuccessful.
Need to bin that for now and bring in those who are ready to make a difference straight away and that the fans and players will get behind.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The thing is if we sack Nathan Jones now it’s going to be even harder to find a new manager now as our league position has slipped more, the transfer window is over and they’ll have these players to work with rather than them making an assessment and seeing whether they want to bring in their own.

The only way we can counter all this is by throwing more money at someone to takeover and offering something in the managers favour.

Whether that include high wages, relation release clauses, option of an extra year, big team release clause etc.

The fact that Rasmus’ ideal manager is all based on spreadsheets and graphs, I’d say so far he’s been largely unsuccessful.
Need to bin that for now and bring in those who are ready to make a difference straight away and that the fans and players will get behind.

Agree with much of this. Ankersen drawing extra lines in the sand has probably cost us the chance of getting in a measured replacement and having an outside chance of staying up.  Assuming the Jonesball stay of execution ends on Saturday afternoon, it's likely to be a case of an experienced 'name' on a short term deal, or somebody comfortable with factoring in relegation and attempting return (perhaps someone who has done this before - a rarity).  Money talks of course but our position is precarious and worsening by the day. Procrastination is going to cost us a great deal. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Just pay out and do it.

can see him being our championship manager. 

40 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Whichever way you look at it, the selection of NJ, timing of it, and the continued support has been a fuck up by RA. 

Beyond belief really. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

If we go down, there's got to be a chance that Ankersen goes for Dean Smith, having had him as Brentford manager in the Championship. At which point, I may just reach for the cyanide pills. 

That is I would say a possibility. Or perhaps Wilder.

Be interesting to see if he goes there (and was therefore a realistic option for us) after he recently turned down Ajax. I expected he'd wait until the Summer to get a better position but I guess money talks.

Anyone we'd get, in what I'd imagine to be the next weeks/a month, is either going to be a manager who I'd imagine is happy to stay if we get relegated (i.e. Jones) or perhaps a short term deal similar to what we did with Hughes (Allardyce?).

It's not pretty reading, and you'd have liked to have thought we could've done something a lot more exciting 2/3 months ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Honestly I know he seems to be the hipster choice but in my view if they go with him they are going down with us.

Only ever managed in Uruguay and Argentina, 8 years at River Plate. Sombrero Celtic really.

I don't care how good he is on paper, he ain't keeping shitty old Leeds up.

All jolly exciting for Leeds fans and Sky Sports News but once he realises that our corned beef is different to the stuff he is used to at home, then his heart won't be in it.

Think Big Phil Scolari and how he stank the place out at Chelsea.

Edited by CB Fry
Sorry I realised he also worked in Uruguay.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is now the most interesting and important thread here I reckon. obviously we all think jones should go and by Monday could well be - but that obviously leaves the question of who? we are not an appealing proposition atm - some good names on the list above but why would you come?

Likely we would offer a contract until the end of the season with a huge bonus if they keep us up, which I think is what we did with Hughes. With Hughes we then made the mistake of extending his contract but it is a tricky situation where if they do keep us up other clubs may want them and thus we lose out on someone good or we may feel we should stick with them without taking a long term view and be back to square one when their managerial style turns out to be suitable for nothing other than finishing 17th.

This is the tricky side of sacking Jones - not whether he should go or not, but what do we actually do instead of him? I would say this is the guiding reason behind why he hasn't got the sack - I can't believe clubs just sack someone without having at least informal conversations with other candidates first.

It COULD be interesting to see, given SRs willingness to spend money, whether we can attract a higher profile manager for a short period than previously through pure financial means.

16 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Honestly I know he seems to be the hipster choice but in my view if they go with him they are going down with us.

Only ever managed in Uruguay and Argentina, 8 years at River Plate. Sombrero Celtic really.

I don't care how good he is on paper, he ain't keeping shitty old Leeds up.

All jolly exciting for Leeds fans and Sky Sports News but once he realises that our corned beef is different to the stuff he is used to at home, then his heart won't be in it.

Think Big Phil Scolari and how he stank the place out at Chelsea.

Good point CB. Not sure tht Leeds are shitty but they are poor. The first season the teams that are promoted have done pretty well and not straight back down..apart from Bournemouth. Its difficult to see who will go down, even Palace are a bit inconsistent, but may have got too many points early days to slip in it.

Doesn’t that Knutsen guy score really high in some kind of algorithm that clubs use to judge managerial suitability - i’m sure I read a headline about that once which is why he regularly gets linked with jobs. Maybe he’d be next, definitely attainable I would’ve thought.

10 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Doesn’t that Knutsen guy score really high in some kind of algorithm that clubs use to judge managerial suitability - i’m sure I read a headline about that once which is why he regularly gets linked with jobs. Maybe he’d be next, definitely attainable I would’ve thought.

Is that the same algorithm Ankersen used to appoint Jones?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I’m pretty sure it did mention that Jones also scored high on it - i don’t think i’m imagining this, but maybe I am!

Does that mean the algorithm is unreliable/flawed or has Jones just been unlucky that the team have been brilliant on the training pitch but shit in actual matches? I'm just trying to get a sense for these fancy data analytics because it looks to me like we employed a manager who has made us a lot worse than we were before he came. I'm willing to be open minded and maybe someone can persuade me that Ankersen knew what he was doing and, like in the film Moneyball, we'll suddenly go on a winning streak.

• Bakovnetski changed the title to The Original Next Manager Thread (FAO Sports Republic)