New Manager

Bakovnetski

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Surely the first question that would have been asked would be the length of the contract? I don't really get why it took the club two days to tell him how long the contract would be?

Have you learnt nothing? We do deals on our terms when we want 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Surely the first question that would have been asked would be the length of the contract? I don't really get why it took the club two days to tell him how long the contract would be?

I don't think it's as black and white as that, as other's have said above I think there are other implications given his recent sacking and Leeds payoffs etc. I believe he was more than prepared to take a short-term deal, given he verbally agreed and travelled here to stay overnight. Today was the day the finer contract details and the discussion of the Leeds payoff would have been brought up, and I reckon that's become a big sticking point - the details of which were probably not entirely clear until they sat down in front of him and his agent to work out the financials.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Clearly there was always a difference in desired length. My guess both parties misread the lack of wiggle room between their positions.

15 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

If they only offered JM a 6 month contract I don't blame him for turning it down. Why not a one year rolling contract, along with a massive bonus if he keeps us up?

Yep, especially as he's under contract until 2025. He'd be nuts to take a short term job when Leeds are paying his wages for the next 2 + years. 

• Like 1

Selles has one big advantage. He knows the players and must have a good idea what his best team is and what system would suit them. Any other manager would take time we don't have to wade through our big squad and would inevitably make mistakes, they all do. Jones was nowhere near getting to grips with it.  Whether he has the inspirational skills and ruthlessness to be a Manager we don't know, he hasn't done it before. He might, we have to hope and pray  he does.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Selles has one big advantage. He knows the players and must have a good idea what his best team is and what system would suit them. Any other manager would take time we don't have to wade through our big squad and would inevitably make mistakes, they all do. Jones was nowhere near getting to grips with it.  Whether he has the inspirational skills and ruthlessness to be a Manager we don't know, he hasn't done it before. He might, we have to hope and pray  he does.

We know he doesn't have any managerial experience, but based on results and performances this season, what makes people think that Selles is even good enough as a coach? 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

He’s obviously what SR want.  Trying to get JM in was just a charade, obviously.

Andersen seems to stumble from one fuck-up to the next.  I wouldn’t pay the twat in shirt buttons.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Strange argument given that we need a manager. 

But we don't need to commit to one(given greater liklihood of being poor) long term given we'll have a much wider choice of manager in the summer, just like it's much easier to get good players in the summer.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Okay - here's a complete curve ball. You've asked for suggestions - so here's mine.

It seems to me that every manager in the reckoning - Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Marsch etc has at some stage or another in their managerial career, failed to differing degrees. I have to say, of all of them, I thought Marsch might be the best option, but that looks like it's not going to happen.

So why not give it to a complete newbie? Someone who has never managed (It's working for Vincent Kompany at Burnley). Hence someone who has never previously failed. Someone who the players already know and respect. Someone who the players will fight for on the pitch. Someone who knows Southampton through and through and knows the squad better than anyone. Someone who will take no blame if we go down, but who will stay with us in The Championship and turn it into a project to get us back up. Possibly the youngest Premiership manager of all time, but one who the fan base will support because of his dedication to this club. And someone who will work alongside more experienced coaches (Selles etc). Someone who is a young player-manager. Someone who knows to the Premier League. Someone who is comfortable in front of the cameras. Someone who has a clean image and is respected at all levels within the club. Someone who, if he managed to save us would only increase his legendary status.

This is Southampton. We do things our way! 

If you haven't guessed already, I am talking about JWP as player manager, working alongside the coaches. Some will say he is too quiet on the pitch as captain. In the past I would have agreed, but to me, of late he seems to be more vocal. You then appoint a new Captain to support him.....just thoughts. 

As I said - it's a complete curve-ball but I would rather try that than have "Frankie Lampard's Southampton" (or whoever on the list) mentioned every 5 minutes.

I think this is my last post of the day so won't be able to reply. I will just sit back, and duck the comments coming back my way.    

More likely to be Walcott I’d say… JWP has enough weight on his shoulders. 

• Like 1

To bring this back to suggestions again, is it worth knocking on Peter Bosz's door? Although again he may be slightly out of our reach these days, even though he's unattached after being sacked by Lyon. Attacking manager, good background in Holland.

I don't know what project Rasmus is selling people so that could be a deciding factor.

• Like 2

Okay, if you wavy a curve-ball… how about Arsene Wenger to come in to support Selles for the rest of the season? Has experience in spades, and his reputation, given he’s effectively retired, won’t take a knock if/when we go down. 

lots of experience to pass on to Selles. 

Theo would enjoy it too…😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

PR disaster after PR disaster.

For it tall fall apart at the eleventh hour due to something as crucial as length of contract meant that once again Ankersen and co had royally fucked up again. It's like spending your winnings only to find out your horse didn't finish. Ankersen thought he had the power but of course he didn't, it was always with Marsch. Ankersen thinks he's something special and I've some stark news for him. Honestly, what have we become? Shining a light on the mismanagement is only further removing us from any position of power. Every man, woman and child now knows the situation we find ourselves in and any potential new manager is going to demand more and we'll have to acquiesce or we'll find ourselves with Selles until the end of the season. Which they'll spin as their first choice. Sick to death of it. Bollocks, the lot of it. 

I expect you’re right given how they’ve conducted other matters. 
But in fairness to the club, who’s to say JM didn’t move the goalposts this morning.

Having slept on it, his agent, knowing our plight, could have suddenly dropped the bombshell that they’ve reconsidered, and although happy with the terms (£££) he thinks his client would be better suited to a 3.5 year contract rather than the 6 months on offer. “If we can just address  that minor detail we’re good to go … , and the press are waiting…”. 

Seems a little strange - or even more inept - if we’ve leaked snippets to our local journalists before this fell apart. Or perhaps, again, like Gakpo, Semmens, Ankersen and co should keep their traps shut the night before a deal is meant to fall into place. 

Edited by Badger

Sports Republic have been absolute numpties since taking ownership.

It's been one stupid decision after the other. 

Lack of striker in summer 

Keeping Ralph around 

Relying on Bazunu as 1st choice 

Selling Romeu 

Hiring Jones 

Messing around with latest appointment. 

Do these idiots at the helm actually know what they are doing?

Dragan Šolak take note the people who are making the decisions are incompetent....... 

Edited by ally_uk
Spelling
  • Like 15

43 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

But we don't need to commit to one(given greater liklihood of being poor) long term given we'll have a much wider choice of manager in the summer, just like it's much easier to get good players in the summer.

There's only logic to that if you're resigned to relegation. I'm not. I think we have half a shout if we get someone on half decent and with experience at this level. To get someone like that we absolutely have to commit - in the real world no credible manager would could come in as a glorified caretaker. Your approach is unrealistic, as is SR. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Sports Reublic have been absolute numpties since taking ownership.

Keeping Ralph around 

Selling Romeu 

Hiring Jones 

Dragan Šolak take note the people who are making the decisions are incompetent....... 

Spot on

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

There's only logic to that if you're resigned to relegation. I'm not. I think we have half a shout if we get someone on half decent and with experience at this level. To get someone like that we absolutely have to commit - in the real world no credible manager would could come in as a glorified caretaker. Your approach is unrealistic, as is SR. 

Well its abundantly clear we disagree wholeheartedly that Marsch is that miracle worker. Sports Republic must view he's not a great long term gamble or else they would have accepted being lumbered with him in the championship.

It's not unrealistic, teams put caretaker's in as recently as last season(that team is top of championship with their new long-term manager).

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Well its abundantly clear we disagree wholeheartedly that Marsch is that miracle worker. Sports Republic must view he's not a great long term gamble or else they would have accepted being lumbered with him in the championship.

It's not unrealistic, teams put caretaker's in as recently as last season(that team is top of championship with their new long-term manager).

Miracle worker, we'll never know. The best option being touted, yes. 

Please name a manager that you say is capable of giving staying up a real go who'd likely be willing to come in as a caretaker. I can't think of a single one.  I suspect you can't either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Miracle worker, we'll never know. The best option being touted, yes. 

Please name a manager that you say is capable of giving staying up a real go who'd likely be willing to come in as a caretaker. I can't think of a single one.  I suspect you can't either. 

What do you mean touted, wasn't he the only one interviewed. His record certainly doesn't make him stand out. I've said for me Benitez is the pedigree candidate if we really want to jump into bed now, no clue if he'd be interested or if he's touted beyond being a number in bookies list.

I'm fairly relaxed with a caretaker like Selles (if i take out the emotion of being a saints fan and the data shows we are a poor team, with very low points and highly likely to go down), so i'd be happy to get the right long-term candidate in the summer than throw more money away and likely time next season on a poor recruitment choice now.

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Sports Republic have been absolute numpties since taking ownership.

Keeping Ralph around 

Selling Romeu 

Hiring Jones 

Remarkable that the first time we have the money to invest in the team in the Prem, the money man decides to leave the decision making to the fucking Krankies! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

He’s obviously what SR want.  Trying to get JM in was just a charade, obviously.

Andersen seems to stumble from one fuck-up to the next.  I wouldn’t pay the twat in shirt buttons.

Only obvious to you. Why would they look like employing JM to then pull out?

3 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

That’s certainly part of it and it’s great to have someone there who knows the squad, their strengths & weaknesses etc., as well as someone we are led to believe is a bit of a tactician. 

It’s the other side of management that concerns me - the inspiring, ‘fire in your bellies’ team talks, the bollockings that are needed from time to time, the skin thick enough to make tough calls and deal with the media. There’s a certain gravitas required to be ‘the gaffer’ and there’s a reason many coaches / #2s fail to make the step up. 

I’m concerned Selles doesn’t have that side to his personality - and it’s needed in bucketloads when you’re in the trenches of a relegation fight. 

• Like 1

Hear me out fellers, it might sound crazy but it’s probably more plausible than most of the suggestions.

The once most hated man in Southampton, Nivea boy himself returns a conquering hero, gently encouraging the boys with his girlish voice from the touch line.

Also he has *technically* managed in the premier league before.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Personaly I would have Ralph back .. and never wanted him gone

You really should've mentioned this before now, rather than leave us to have a wild stab-in-the-dark as to your thoughts on the matter over the last few weeks... 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

You really should've mentioned this before now, rather than leave us to have a wild stab-in-the-dark as to your thoughts on the matter over the last few weeks... 

Trousers , check my posts , I have been pro Ralph since the sacking ,, Sadley you dont read my posts but sure you chack them ..