Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Fan CaM

1 minute ago, st alex said:

Don't know how Fernandes has avoided being booked, he's right up screaming in the ref's face constantly.

And Anthony I think telling the ref to book Perraud.

He tries to ref every game. It's probably why they have 'given' him the captaincy now. 

Good first half.

Frustrating that we haven't taken the opportunities we've had (Sulemana not cutting the ball back, walcott header etc), though we've had our moments where we've relied on bazanu or united to muck up

Really hate some of these united players. Fernandes trying to get a penalty after KWP won the ball twice. Amazed Shaw didn't get booked for that nasty assuault on Walcott afterwards.

Would like to see tall paul on soon.

4 minutes ago, benjii said:

One of our best 45 mins of the season and we really should have scored a couple.

Walcott having a 'mare on the ball. Get Stuart Armstrong on at half time. Also, we should be winding up Martinez as much as possible.

Point is, Walcott is getting into the positions to create the chance in the first place. If that carries on against 10 men he will score. Key here is make the pitch big and don’t panic…1 point is better than none today. The longer the game goes on the more chance we can hit them on the break. Sulemana’s decision making is not honed yet - could have given Walcott a lovely assist to put us one up.

• Like 2

How good is Sulemana?!  His pace is just electrifying. He's going to be a key part of our staying up.   I also thought JWP and Lavia so impressive. Both of them can take the ball in really tight situations and deal with it well.  C'mon saints. we can win this now!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

we'll need Bazunu to make a couple of outstanding saves to even have a sniff.

He rarely, if ever, makes good saves let alone stunners, so that is that

Well he's made one top quality save, flown out to snaffle the ball in front of Rashford and done superbly to stop a 1v1 by clearing the ball from the edge of the area. 

Goalkeeping isn't all about saves. Often the actions of a keeper can negate the need for them to make saves, as proved in the last 2 examples.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Can't agree with that right now. Have to go on to win this game.

You would be disappointed with a point? I think that's being overly optimistic. A win would be utterly incredible but considering we had already written this game off, getting that one point means that we aren't "just in touch" by being three points behind, we're actually three points off getting out of it.

• Like 1

I'd think Selles will be reminding them that they are better than the issues that gave them so many problems against 10 men last time. Hopefully, that has steeled them into not being so fragile today. I hope we can take advantage in the second half.

We had a couple of chances - walcott, sulemana, JWP always a free kick threat. But Baz also had a decent half keeping them out. They are a threat with 10. So, we can;t get too overstretched. But we will have to keep the determination we showed in the first 45, and look to exploit any space they give us. We've seen Adams do that with Alcaraz before, so hopefully it will be something like that again.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

You would be disappointed with a point? I think that's being overly optimistic. A win would be utterly incredible but considering we had already written this game off, getting that one point means that we aren't "just in touch" by being three points behind, we're actually three points off getting out of it.

I think I could look back tomorrow and be happy with a point, and would have been over the moon with one before the game. But given the circumstances, think we need to go on to win this.

If he makes the right subs as well, we definitely could.

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

How good is Sulemana?!  His pace is just electrifying. He's going to be a key part of our staying up.   I also thought JWP and Lavia so impressive. Both of them can take the ball in really tight situations and deal with it well.  C'mon saints. we can win this now!

He's quite good but a bit naive with the ball. Really should have squared the ball to an unmarked Walcott when he shot straight at the defender after being put through on the left.

Just now, Saint NL said:

Big decision for Selles.

Stick and hold for a point or go for the win.

I'd be over the moon with a point, but three would be sensational.

I realise we'll manage to lose this now 🤔

I don't see United changing much, so don't think we should either. What I would be doing is getting the ball through the middle more and taking advantage of the overload against their now two man midfield.

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think I could look back tomorrow and be happy with a point, and would have been over the moon with one before the game. But given the circumstances, think we need to go on to win this.

If he makes the right subs as well, we definitely could.

I certainly am not advocating for shutting up shop, but I wouldn't be pushing more than we have been and taking more risks, especially not with Rashford playing up front through the middle now.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Sunday 2pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic