Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Fan CaM

This is going to be a difficult one, despite their humiliation at the hands of Liverpool, unless of course their players want to send an adverse message about their Manager. Think Selles will need to consider a more conservative formation to protect our fragile defence/GK, but still have pace up top to hit them on the break and give us a chance of a goal. A great result would be a draw…an unbelievable result a tight win (we rarely look like scoring more than one).

Bazunu

AMN. Bednarek. ABK. KWP/Perraud

Diallo. JWP. Lavia.

Sully/Walcott. Alcarez.

Che.

I don’t think he’ll change a great deal - possibly Sulemane for a more conservative option (god knows who, and please not you know who) although I think we’ll need pace on the break so I hope not.

The other unknown is Charlie. Given we’ve got Brentford 4 days later if there’s any doubt I’d save him. Again, not sure who’d replace him. Diallo seems out in the cold, Stu would be a riskier option (not known for retaining possession). Our squad is so poor we really are a bit hamstrung.

Maybe Paul as an outlet alongside Che, but those two and Sulemane together on the pitch looks a bit too attacking.

Whatever the case it’ll be very tough. Would bite your hand off if offered a point!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I don’t think he’ll change a great deal - possibly Sulemane for a more conservative option (god knows who, and please not you know who) although I think we’ll need pace on the break so I hope not.

The other unknown is Charlie. Given we’ve got Brentford 4 days later if there’s any doubt I’d save him. Again, not sure who’d replace him. Diallo seems out in the cold, Stu would be a riskier option (not known for retaining possession). Our squad is so poor we really are a bit hamstrung.

Maybe Paul as an outlet alongside Che, but those two and Sulemane together on the pitch looks a bit too attacking.

Whatever the case it’ll be very tough. Would bite your hand off if offered a point!

If Alcaraz is out it's almost guaranteed that Elyounoussi will play. 

• Sad 3

What's up with you lot?  It's AlcarAz and SulemanA for Crissake!

I know the BBC insist on calling him Bazuna, not Bazunu, and the tabloids just seem to make up names for them as they go along, but surely if you're a Saints supporter you should know their names.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Victor said:

I know the BBC insist on calling him Bazuna, not Bazunu, and the tabloids just seem to make up names for them as they go along, but surely if you're a Saints supporter you should know their names.

I never learnt how to spell Hoyburg until he left

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

McCarthy

KWP Bednerak/ABK Salisu Perraud

Lavia JWP

Theo Alcaraz* (S Armstrong) Sulemana

Che 

*starts if not injured

Nailed on that Elyounnosi will be in for Armstrong and Bazunu in for McCarthy

3-0 defeat

Edited by Dman

I really wonder how much analysis will go into Man U's Capitulation yesterday.?

Do our analyst concentrate on how they have played to get to the top three. or do they shift to look at how Liverpool exploited them to see if there's anything can replicate.

We know Selles is big on his analytics, wonder if @Jacob Tanswell or the Athletic could figure out which direction we look to go down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

If Alcaraz is out as expected, i hope it's S.Armstrong rather than Elyounessi for him.

As always i'd prefer Salisu to Bednarek.

I'm the same.  I'd replace Bednarek (not that he's been terrible) with Salisu, pacier, stronger, better in the air, and usually shows up in shop window games.    I just don't want Elyounoussi to have any role, even if Alcaraz is out.   I'd also prefer Walcott off the bench and start Stu.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Victor said:

And your thoughts on the game are? 🤨

Would expect it will be a hybrid of Chelsea (A) and Leicester (H). We played this team against Chelsea: Baz; AMN Bednarek ABK Perraud; Elyounoussi Lavia JWP Armstrong; Onuachu Sulamena

I think we'll go with a 4-4-1-1/4-5-1/4-3-3 however you want to put it...he seems pretty settled on the back 4, don't know if he sees Salisu as first choice or not due to his injury.

Assuming Charly is out...my punt would be:

Bazunu; AMN Bednarek ABK KWP; Elyounoussi JWP Lavia Walcott; Sulemena; Adams

Wouldn't be surprised to see Salisu start, but we do need the continuity at the back, we've chopped and changed it all season and it's hurt us. Also not sure whether Stuey might play because he's a bit better defensively than Theo.

If we can somehow nick a draw here it would be amazing, but I'm expecting a bit of a thumping if I'm honest.

• Like 1

Last night's result is bound to have an impact on our match. The manager will demand a reaction but there might also be sweeping team changes with fringe players getting their chance. We should expect to be under considerable pressure from the get-go and probably need to dig in and ride our luck for the first twenty minutes. If we can withstand that and the game settles down to a less frantic place and it is still 0-0 then we have a chance of getting something from the match. If we concede early on then we could be in for a drubbing. 

This will not be a game for the faint hearted. My gut feeling is we'll buckle in that first twenty minutes and end up losing 3-0.

I’m hoping that Utd as a team and squad are gonna be predominantly focussed on cup competitions now knowing they can win an FA Cup/Europa League, with PL title basically behind them. 

If they can have that mindset of coasting to a top 4 position in the upcoming weeks then hopefully we can capitalise on that, and their squad isn’t actually that deep with quality for where they want to be.

However, it’ll still be a tough ask at OT to be honest, even if they played fringe players like Maguire, Lindelof, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay etc etc

It’ll actually be interesting if Ten Hag drops half that squad after their humbling or he gives them a chance to put it right, or whether he does that against Betis this Thursday.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I’m hoping that Utd as a team and squad are gonna be predominantly focussed on cup competitions now knowing they can win an FA Cup/Europa League, with PL title basically behind them. 

If they can have that mindset of coasting to a top 4 position in the upcoming weeks then hopefully we can capitalise on that, and their squad isn’t actually that deep with quality for where they want to be.

However, it’ll still be a tough ask at OT to be honest, even if they played fringe players like Maguire, Lindelof, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay etc etc

It’ll actually be interesting if Ten Hag drops half that squad after their humbling or he gives them a chance to put it right, or whether he does that against Betis this Thursday.

Not a chance in hell

Anyway, look at this twat

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

When we were a half decent side we'd struggle to get anything at Old Trafford, so I really can't see anything other than yet another loss.  They'll be looking to erase the memory of Anfield, so we will be in for a real tough afternoon.  I'd snap your arm off now for a point but realistically is gonna be more about keeping it respectable. 

A front 3 of Sully, Che, and Walcott

A mid 3 of JWP, Lavia, and Charly

A back 4 of whatever

GK (pick em)

-

• we give up a bone headed goal.
  • Sully, Che, and Walcott camp out 5 yards outside the penalty box and then flop like there are snipers in the stands
  • JWP with 2 free kick goals to break Beckham's record at Old Trafford.

United 1 - 2 Southampton

Edited by SaintTex

27 minutes ago, Micky said:

When we were a half decent side we'd struggle to get anything at Old Trafford, so I really can't see anything other than yet another loss.  They'll be looking to erase the memory of Anfield, so we will be in for a real tough afternoon.  I'd snap your arm off now for a point but realistically is gonna be more about keeping it respectable. 

We got a point last season and have won twice since promotion back to the top flight.

Doesn't have any relevance for this game, but we have a better record there than we do at most other top sides grounds.

We were very good up at Old Trafford last season. High pressing attacking football. Just a shame that a couple of games later it all started to fall apart.

Can't see the same this time around unfortunately. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

1 hour ago, Micky said:

We have won twice and drawn twice since our return to the Premier League up there.  I have been there three times in that period and am yet to see us lose!

We were in a great run of form when we played them at OT last season - Che and Broja were an absolute handful. It really started to go to shit after that.

Che's hold up play was pretty good against Leicester and it could be a favourable matchup against Martinez. Would like to see him and Tall Paul together but its unlikely. Bednarek back at OT for us also gives me bad vibes. Would love to see Salisu or DCC replace him but Selles seems to favour Janny B 😑

McCarthy*

AMN     Salisu      ABK      KWP

Lavia       JWP

Walcott      Alcaraz*   Sulemana

Adams

*injuries permitting. Bazunu and Stu Armstrong to fill in

Edited by woodsaint1
Wrong quote

2 hours ago, Micky said:

We won 1-0 at OT twice in 14/15 and 15/16 :) 

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

We won 1-0 at OT twice in 14/15 and 15/16 :) 

Yeah I know, we were good then,  but I've be watching saints for over 50 years, it's rare for us to get much at OT.  We are crap at the moment and were very lucky to get 3 points from Leicester, so can only see a loss at the weekend. 

11 hours ago, Nolan said:

I really wonder how much analysis will go into Man U's Capitulation yesterday.?

Do our analyst concentrate on how they have played to get to the top three. or do they shift to look at how Liverpool exploited them to see if there's anything can replicate.

We know Selles is big on his analytics, wonder if @Jacob Tanswell or the Athletic could figure out which direction we look to go down.

wonder if he could work out why Moi plays aswell.............................................there must be something he adds to the squad................................got it ARM POINTING.............................we need them(phew ).

1 hour ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I'm driving up for this one. Staying in Altrincham Saturday night then heading in with my nipper early to make a day of it in Manc. Any decent parking suggestions?

Bolton.......................

1 hour ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I'm driving up for this one. Staying in Altrincham Saturday night then heading in with my nipper early to make a day of it in Manc. Any decent parking suggestions?

We haven’t been for years but always used to park in the Old Trafford cricket ground. Don’t expect to getaway quickly after the game though.

Man Utd, Brentford, Spuds. 5 or more points from these and I'd say we are well back in the race for survival. 3 or 4 would be borderline acceptable. 0-2 and we may as well start checking out our Championship opposition.

A point this weekend would be a very nice start but I refuse to get my hopes up. United will be wanting to prove a point and, well, we still stink.

10 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Last season we parked for free around Great Stone Road. Loads of street parking, quiet area, probably 15-20 minute walk to the ground. Easy to get away after too.

There's a pub called Quadrant there, didn't go in though because of early kick off. Had a fry up instead in a cafe next door.

Their 'reaction' game will be against Betis anyway, if they get something or beat them, or even keep it close it could help us.  They then might need to rotate to be fresh for the return leg and hopefully their confidence is still down a bit. 

Honestly a point would be amazing. Hope we don't try and just sit back defend deep, that rarely works for us. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Sunday 2pm
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic