Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Fan CaM

They have all the advantages over us in the world. Multi million pound team, proven league winner as a manager and they cry because a ref doesn't bow down and hand them what they think they are entitled to.

Also, that Rashford dive was absolutely horrendous 

• Like 5

Even the admin who runs Man Utd’s Facebook page went with a screenshot which looks like an even, 50:50 challenge, rather than the much clearer angle of him jumping in both feet off the ground and going studs first over the top of the ball. Even taking my Saints glasses off, I can’t see how anyone could defend a challenge like that.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Even the admin who runs Man Utd’s Facebook page went with a screenshot which looks like an even, 50:50 challenge, rather than the much clearer angle of him jumping in both feet off the ground and going studs first over the top of the ball. Even taking my Saints glasses off, I can’t see how anyone could defend a challenge like that.

It doesn't matter if he touched the ball or not. As you say, the challenge was out of control and dangerous. We have seen them from United players any number of times in previous games at Old Trafford. The difference yesterday was they got punished

• Like 1

Really wish var was mic’d up. No handball law broken by abk, can see why it looks bad but be nice to have Utd fans taken through it step by step so it’s clear for them. Same for the red. Would help stop all this shit about them being hard done by 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redandwhitey said:

Not sure it is just me, but I quite enjoyed MOTD 2 without all the usual punditry bull that surrounds a big six match where they didn’t get the results expected 

didn’t miss the commentary either

I would have preferred more extensive highlights but I certainly didn’t miss the screaming commentary nor the extensive analysis and dissection.

Just now, Saint Troy said:

Really wish var was mic’d up. No handball law broken by abk, can see why it looks bad but be nice to have Utd fans taken through it step by step so it’s clear for them. Same for the red. Would help stop all this shit about them being hard done by 

According to the report in The Times this morning the ball came off his chest first.

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

According to the report in The Times this morning the ball came off his chest first.

The way I saw it he fell over so his arms were in a natural position for the situation, he’s not making himself bigger (trying to get his arm out the way). Can’t see why chest first is relevant to the laws personally but I’ve given up a bit! 

45 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

The way I saw it he fell over so his arms were in a natural position for the situation, he’s not making himself bigger (trying to get his arm out the way). Can’t see why chest first is relevant to the laws personally but I’ve given up a bit! 

If the ball deflects onto the arm from another part of his body it is not handball.

"There will be no penalty if:

the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

weirdly, they were quiet on this one..

My immediate thought. No memory for McTs volleyball antics but ABK nailed on handball and consistency required for reds because someone from Chelsea or Arsenal didn't get a red. 

So salty!

Edited by OttawaSaint

Regarding those two points, firstly the red card.  I think a lot of us fans remember the rules of a few years back where that decision is a 50/50 however these days its quite clear that with that type of challenge, however unintentional, is going to end with a red.

Regarding the penalty, I'll just say what I've been saying to my mates the last couple of years....I really haven't got a clue what is and what isn't a penalty anymore so I just stay out of it.

1 hour ago, Hawkswood said:

Regarding the penalty, I'll just say what I've been saying to my mates the last couple of years....I really haven't got a clue what is and what isn't a penalty anymore.

So you're no different to the refs in the prem then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, redandwhitey said:

Not sure it is just me, but I quite enjoyed MOTD 2 without all the usual punditry bull that surrounds a big six match where they didn’t get the results expected 

didn’t miss the commentary either

Note that we were as usual last on, even though we were playing the Mancs. The BBC need to look at their impartiality. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

An very unexpected and welcome point.

It will all be for nothing if we can't back it up against Brentford - that needs to be 3 points and another good performance to put everyone else under much more pressure.

One win moves anyone in the bottom 9 a lot of places, so it's going to be a hell of an end to the season.

There were two decisions that any rational football fan would agree could have possibly gone either way (I'm not even going to dignify the Rashford or KWP ones). 

Yet judging by the endless moaning from the United fans you'd have thought there was a government-level conspiracy against them. Just the level of outrage when they don't get a couple of decisions is something to behold. 

When Taylor saw the VAR image of Casameiro's studs on Charley's shin did he really have any option? And interestingly Casameiro and even his team mates didn't seem to give the ref a hard time in their usual fashion. I think he knew. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I would have preferred more extensive highlights but I certainly didn’t miss the screaming commentary nor the extensive analysis and dissection.

personally, I missed the commentary, although not the obviously pre-prepared lines and endless stats. I always fast forward through the `analysis' and post match interviews. Both boring as fuck, so didn't really care about that. Would have liked to have seen much longer highlights, but I perhaps the BBC are only permitted to show so much/many minutes of action? 

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

All matches are recorded so why can't we see full matches on demand after the weekend? I for one would sign up for that and Sky would benefit from the subscriptions. Access to football on TV is still stuck in the dark ages it seems, a bit like the censorship of Lady Chatterly's lover (spoiler alert: twas the gardener) when we were young lads.

For now, the extended highlights on the Club's website give a far better flavour of the match than the few minutes shown on MotD that was.

Overall I thought we played quite well with encouraging glimpses of the fast inter-passing style that we came to love before management took leave of its senses…. and we had over 50% possession for a change.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

All matches are recorded so why can't we see full matches on demand after the weekend? I for one would sign up for that and Sky would benefit from the subscriptions. Access to football on TV is still stuck in the dark ages it seems, a bit like the censorship of Lady Chatterly's lover (spoiler alert: twas the gardener) when we were young lads.

Think you'll find it was the game keeper actually 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What a ridiculous generalisation and it isn't true anyway.

You have already forgotten last season's game at Old Trafford then. Fernandes took a swing at Ward-Prowse. He missed but still should have been red carded. Maguire stamped on Broja but VAR did nothing.

15 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

For now, the extended highlights on the Club's website give a far better flavour of the match than the few minutes shown on MotD that was.

Overall I thought we played quite well with encouraging glimpses of the fast inter-passing style that we came to love before management took leave of its senses…. and we had over 50% possession for a change.

Sky did show all the games over next 20 hrs or so. but now they just show about 20 minutes.   It annoyed me that Sky wasted tike showing Casimro waling all the way across the pitch to the tunnel. also rehashing free kicks etc so many times

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Sky did show all the games over next 20 hrs or so. but now they just show about 20 minutes.   It annoyed me that Sky wasted tike showing Casimro waling all the way across the pitch to the tunnel. also rehashing free kicks etc so many times

Walking or wailing?

5 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

I thought watching a Man utd player wailing and walking off very entertaining

• Like 1

On 13/03/2023 at 07:39, AlexLaw76 said:

I see Ten Hag is moaning about referee consistency with handball.

He is right, we were robbed at St Mary's when Mctomminay was playing basketball in his own penalty area. 

Im sure he was in about that!?

......ever since Alex Ferguson's days that is a standard clause in the manager's contract .......

23 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Careful Charlie Wayman...Not a suitable comment for a football site with youngsters on here. (haha)...You might pro-woke someone's displeasure

but nevertheless.   I think Mellors was a gamekeeper, and not a gardener.

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Careful Charlie Wayman...Not a suitable comment for a football site with youngsters on here. (haha)...You might pro-woke someone's displeasure

but nevertheless.   I think Mellors was a gamekeeper, and not a gardener.

Not sure if it was the idea of a lower standing person having an affair with the lady or the description of anal sex that made them want to ban the book . As usual everyone then had to read it to see what the fuss was about ! As far as I remember it was a pretty crap book apart from pages 65 to 71 😆