Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Fan CaM

We’re either going to get fucking flogged or win 1-0, I don’t think there’s an inbetween.

Line up doesn’t really matter either. We’ve got almost a whole squad of passengers I don’t think having Ely over someone else will make much difference 

• Like 2

You’ll have to forgive my pessimism too, I work with a bloke from New Zealand and another one born in reading who are both ‘life long’ Liverpool fan and three Australians who are man city fans, I just can’t be fucked talking about football anymore.

• Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Brissysaint said:

You’ll have to forgive my pessimism too, I work with a bloke from New Zealand and another one born in reading who are both ‘life long’ Liverpool fan and three Australians who are man city fans, I just can’t be fucked talking about football anymore.

You're pretty lucky with the NRL down there though tbf.. just get into that. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd vs Saints - Sunday 2pm
44 minutes ago, coalman said:

After his histrionics on Sunday I can see Fernandes getting sent off in this one. Then us going on to be dominated by the 10 men left on the pitch.

We could do with JWP being back to his dark arts, someone needs to tell him Fernandes is best mates with Zaha and that might do the trick

Was it Stephens last season that wound him up? Can we have him back for one game to do that, doesn't seem to be ABK or Bednarek's style. Perhaps Perraud would wind him up?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

wonder if he could work out why Moi plays aswell.............................................there must be something he adds to the squad................................got it ARM POINTING.............................we need them(phew ).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Which is all very well but if he does make an interception he trips over and/or gives it straight back.

We need to win football matches. In the final third I’d rather have someone who actually can use a football productively.

I must be going mad but I’d actually consider playing Perraud left midfield. Occasionally scores, can defend a bit, isn’t Moi. Assuming Charlie is out have two of Che, Paul and Sulemana up top (the other would come on as a sub).

I just simply can’t ever make a case for choosing Moi, though.

Edited by Chewy
Typo
  • Like 9

38 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Which is all very well but if he does make an interception he trips over and/or gives it straight back.

We need to win football matches. I’m the final third I’d rather have someone who actually can use a football productively.

I must be going mad but I’d actually consider playing Perraud left midfield. Occasionally scores, can defend a bit, isn’t Moi. Assuming Charlie is out have two of Che, Paul and Sulemana up top (the other would come on as a sub).

I just simply can’t ever make a case for choosing Moi, though.

Exactly this. Running after a player after you've lost the ball isn't enough to be able to play in a Premier League side, surely. Anyone with a high level of fitness could do that. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Exactly this. Running after a player after you've lost the ball isn't enough to be able to play in a Premier League side, surely. Anyone with a high level of fitness could do that. 

So perhaps the fittest human in history could fill that role I hear you say…?

• Haha 8

15 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I'm driving up for this one. Staying in Altrincham Saturday night then heading in with my nipper early to make a day of it in Manc. Any decent parking suggestions?

Yes, Altrincham (or Navigation Road)! Get the tram in...  I work in Manchester several times a month and haven't driven into the City for probably a couple of decades now...  

Edited by Channons Windmill

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum, but will be going to Old Trafford this weekend.

Planning on getting the train which arrives at Manchester Piccadilly at 13:29. Looks like a long walk to the ground, so will likely be needing to get public transport. Any idea if the tram would get us to the stadium in time for kick off, or whether we'll be needing to jump in a taxi?

2 hours ago, Channons Windmill said:

Yes, Altrincham (or Navigation Road)! Get the tram in...  I work in Manchester several times a month and haven't driven into the City for probably a couple of decades now...  

How often are the trams & do you go direct to Old Trafford?  What they like getting back on after game??

11 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

How often are the trams & do you go direct to Old Trafford?  What they like getting back on after game??

Going in is ok. But they keep you behind after the game once your let out its a total shitshow of people pushing and forcing each other to get on the next one.

8 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We can't risk him scoring again.

Would be mad not to play him really if he’s fit. He and Lavia have been the bright sparks of the recent intake, with Tall Paul and Sully not showing their value just yet. Can’t see Che not holding his place - that assist on Saturday was sublime and something we’ve been missing. A friend said to me at the weekend that they thought Che looked better as an advanced midfield provider than an out and out striker…can understand that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Channons Windmill said:

Whats the parking like around Navigation Road?  Street parking?

5 hours ago, Nolan said:
This is a load of theoretical bollocks. If I was the opposition I'd be praying for this poor marking non physical, slow, non scoring, serial mistake maker to be picked. The best attacker without the ball, what idiot thought that one up. In one way he's less lethal to us if he hasn't got the ball, he can't give it away dropping everybody in the mire. We might as well put a traffic cone in midfield to block a channel. In my opinion we need attackers with pace  to do what Alcaraz did on Saturday. Sulemana and S Armstrong, with Alcaraz and Adams.   

5 hours ago, Saint85 said:

Planning on getting the train which arrives at Manchester Piccadilly at 13:29. Looks like a long walk to the ground, so will likely be needing to get public transport. Any idea if the tram would get us to the stadium in time for kick off, or whether we'll be needing to jump in a taxi?

You can't walk to the ground from there, and no you won't get there in time for kick off catching the tram.  Last year, I caught the tram from Manchester Piccadilly and it's a good 20-30min tram ride and the final 10 minute walk after that...and those trams are packed, so you won't get on the first one. Suggest you either get an earlier train or hijack a taxi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Would be mad not to play him really if he’s fit. He and Lavia have been the bright sparks of the recent intake, with Tall Paul and Sully not showing their value just yet. Can’t see Che not holding his place - that assist on Saturday was sublime and something we’ve been missing. A friend said to me at the weekend that they thought Che looked better as an advanced midfield provider than an out and out striker…can understand that.

Mainly because no-one has provided them with the right passes.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

I know what you are saying! I know a  ‘life long’ Liverpool fan who comes from Reading but when I asked, it transpires that he has never seen Liverpool play live nor indeed ANY football game ever! I have seen Liverpool play more times than him.

18 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Whats the parking like around Navigation Road?  Street parking?

There's a small station car park (which I've always used) though it is in the middle of a large residential area - I see there's a also a (new?) big car park next to Altrincham station which might be better as I'm sure more than a few will have the same plan.

16 hours ago, waylander said:

Mainly because no-one has provided them with the right passes.

Tall Paul maybe, but Sulemena has seen plenty of ball since he got here.

One thing I noticed in the last match at least, Sulemana was given the ball in a forward area and rather than turn and go at his man - something he was brought here to do, he took the simple option and passed it backwards. It minded me of John Barnes playing for England. He had plenty of time and space to turn and dribble, but he chose not to. It looked like his exciting carefree attack-at-all-costs attitude that he showed on his debut at Brentford had disappeared. It concerned me when I saw it, as I wondered if he'd lost a little bit of confidence. I hope that is not the case as we need him to provide that little bit of invention to unlock teams.

• Like 2

I would be very tempted to move KWP back across to the right to help stop Rashford.

I suspect AMN will continue, but not sure he is best equipped to stop Rashford coming inside and scoring, as he has done a fair bit this season. Should/when Rashford comes inside, it's going to be very important that Lavia is already there filling that space, CBs are willing and able to step out and midfield is tracking runners so those two are not torn between two jobs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Saint85 said:

Tram would normally be ok, but doubtful for a 2pm kick off from a 1.30 arrival at picadilly. Altrincham line to Warwick Road stop, near the cricket ground. Not sure a taxi would be much faster in the traffic. Frankly, best bet is get an earlier train! 

1 hour ago, charliemiller said:

Tall Paul v Martinez at 5 9 will be interesting ......mind you Martinez is a psycho 

It's a myth that Martinez's size makes him bad in the air. It's all about the leap and the timing. (6' 4" William Saliba lost EVERY single contested header against 5' 10" Ivan Toney the other week.)

By the same token, from what we've seen so far Onuachu's aerial prowess is really nothing too special. Doesn't get his feet off the ground. 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2023 at 21:07, saintscottofthenortham said:

I'm driving up for this one. Staying in Altrincham Saturday night then heading in with my nipper early to make a day of it in Manc. Any decent parking suggestions?

If you go in really early there may be parking in Salford quays, see media city and the Lowry centre,  but expensive. Ditto Trafford park industrial area. But best bet is tram, either direct to ground or into city centre to see it  first then back out for match. Trams are frequent. If you want car to be a bit closer than Altrincham for getting away after match,  then there's usually street parking reasonably close to Dane Road station in Sale. Enjoy the game - respect for going given the likely outcome! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Tall Paul maybe, but Sulemena has seen plenty of ball since he got here.

One thing I noticed in the last match at least, Sulemana was given the ball in a forward area and rather than turn and go at his man - something he was brought here to do, he took the simple option and passed it backwards. It minded me of John Barnes playing for England. He had plenty of time and space to turn and dribble, but he chose not to. It looked like his exciting carefree attack-at-all-costs attitude that he showed on his debut at Brentford had disappeared. It concerned me when I saw it, as I wondered if he'd lost a little bit of confidence. I hope that is not the case as we need him to provide that little bit of invention to unlock teams.

I think it's ok. It's about seeing the pass, and I think they'll be working on that. There's no point running and dribbling if there's no end product. If you look at his scouting reports, you'll see that this is where he needs improvement 

1 hour ago, igsey said:

Any chance Salisu is back for this one?

He's recovered, was deemed 90% fit a couple of days back. It's Man Utd, so I would probably stick with the same team just from a match sharp perspective 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2023 at 10:51, Nolan said:

I really wonder how much analysis will go into Man U's Capitulation yesterday.?

Do our analyst concentrate on how they have played to get to the top three. or do they shift to look at how Liverpool exploited them to see if there's anything can replicate.

We know Selles is big on his analytics, wonder if @Jacob Tanswell or the Athletic could figure out which direction we look to go down.

It's going to be interesting, overall Man Utd have started matches slow, then they get into gear after 20 minutes, then peak in the second half. I think they'll start more quickly this week, so it's going to be interesting. The weakness with Utd is they overplay and make errors when frustrated. 

2 hours ago, James G said:

It's going to be interesting, overall Man Utd have started matches slow, then they get into gear after 20 minutes, then peak in the second half. I think they'll start more quickly this week, so it's going to be interesting. The weakness with Utd is they overplay and make errors when frustrated. 

Yeah,they certainly peaked in the second half against Liverpool 🙂

• Haha 2

On 07/03/2023 at 12:31, Saint85 said:

You need to be on the 0655 from Soton central ..change at Basingstoke to reading 0817 train then 0915 reading to Manchester picadilly .. arrives 12.30.

Metro link tram to Altrincham  every 15 mins get off at old Trafford cricket ground or Salford quays both 10 mins walk to old Trafford. Tram is 17 min journey from Manchester picadilly.

A couple items of interest in regards to the matches this weekend.

• only 6 points separates 12th from 20th. (9 teams)
  • and those 9 teams (which includes Saints)? Well, none of them play each other this weekend, which means they are all playing some pretty good clubs and will have trouble picking up points.

An opportunity to really move up if we can nick 3 points. It is very clear cut on who to root for this weekend (or who to root against)

Edited by SaintTex

6 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

This fixture doesn't feature in the great escape, nailed on defeat.

Correct. I've considered a few scenarios including Man Utd getting loads of injuries tonight and still can't see any chance of us getting something on Sunday 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Sunday 2pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic