Ramadan - Impact on our muslim players

stevy777_x

Mohamed Elyounoussi ''There was even a pizza named after Elyounoussi on the menu, although his Muslim faith means he has never tasted the Moi Special''https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-04-28/southampton-fc-mohamed-elyounoussi-on-ramadanWatch as Southampton forward Mohamed Elyounoussi discusses his Muslim faith and how he experiences the month of Ramadan as a professional footballer.

Ibrahima Diallo ''talks basketball, his Muslim faith and his first year in England''

Kamaldeen Sulemana ''There are many Muslims like me, who left their origins to come to Techiman''

Mohammed Salisu ''Attributes Recent Slump in Form to Ramadan 'https://sportsbrief.com/football/southampton/16122-mohammed-salisu-says-ramadan-has-affected-his-form-at-southampton/

Southampton stars Salisu, Djenepo and Diallo struggled during Ramadan – Hasenhuttl https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/southampton-salisu-djenepo-diallo-struggled-ramadan-hasenhuttl/1hp1xkybbhqiz1nn2b6uat1jco

So 5 players will be on ramadan, 3 of which have used it to explain slumps in form before.

I know quite a few muslims irl and they struggle to do anything during the day duing ramadan, let alone be pushing their bodies. Usually theyre (understandably imho) in a generally bad mood too. Some cope better than others though.

Dont want to sound harsh but if we had a whole team suffering like that it would be nightmare, 5 is already a lot.

Also, to explain it further for people. They have to fast during daylight hours. That means no food OR drink.
In Northern Europe that means they have to fast longer if its getting dark later. Although it seems to be starting slightly earlier this year by a week or so. 

EDIT: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12839201/ramadan-match-officials-asked-to-provide-opportunity-for-muslim-players-across-premier-league-and-efl-to-break-fast  Just seen this during my searches

Edited by Spark
better wording
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Spark said:

Also, to explain it further for people. They have to fast during daylight hours. That means no food OR drink.
In Northern Europe that means they have to fast longer if its getting dark later. Although it seems to be starting slightly earlier this year by a week or so. 

The start of Ramadan is earlier every year,  by 11 days. This is because it is based on the Islam Calendar (which is lunar based, 354 days) rather than the Gregorian Calendar (365 days). At least this year we have an international break at the start so limited impact on club games.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Would it be considered discrimination if a team was less likely to sign a player who celebrated Ramadan, knowing full well that it would negatively impact their performance? 

It raises an interesting question on to what extent it's acceptable to practice your beliefs, if it's to the detriment of your employer. Supposing you follow religion X and you spend a month drinking wine until 2am every night to celebrate the life of your prophet; should your boss simply accept you coming to work hungover every morning as exercising your beliefs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisPY said:

Yes.

Would it? If it's genuinely having a negative effect on someone's work performance I thought it didn't count as discrimination. It's not like any allowances can be made to account for it. 

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It raises an interesting question on to what extent it's acceptable to practice your beliefs, if it's to the detriment of your employer. Supposing you follow religion X and you spend a month drinking wine until 2am every night to celebrate the life of your prophet; should your boss simply accept you coming to work hungover every morning as exercising your beliefs.

Exactly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

The start of Ramadan is earlier every year,  by 11 days. This is because it is based on the Islam Calendar (which is lunar based, 354 days) rather than the Gregorian Calendar (365 days). At least this year we have an international break at the start so limited impact on club games.

Oh yeah thats right,  i'd completely forgotten about that even though they explained it to me before, I only remembered they have to wait to find out when it was or something , something to do with spotting the moon? I cant remember the details. Theyd always let me knw when it was starting so i'd understand when im around them lol

Also worth pointing out some of them didnt observe ramadan, so even though i got details of the players that are muslim, some may be more casual about it and not do it.

On 22/03/2023 at 19:22, Weston Super Saint said:

Grand Mufti's are allowed to issue fatwas to exempt sportspeople from having to fast - there is precedent from the 2012 Olympics.

No reason why Southampton's Grand Mufti can't do so....

is it common though?

A Muslim I worked with followed Ramadan. He was granted exemptions from the fasting regime whenever a group of us went away on business. He had to  make up for the days that he missed by fasting at other times during the year. 

It suited him well.  Ramadan that year was in June and he made up for his exempt days in December!!

On 22/03/2023 at 19:22, Weston Super Saint said:

Grand Mufti's are allowed to issue fatwas to exempt sportspeople from having to fast - there is precedent from the 2012 Olympics.

No reason why Southampton's Grand Mufti can't do so....

Bloody progressive fairweather Muftis - go woke go broke!

• Haha 1