Worst Player of the Season Award 2022/23

niceandfriendly

1 hour ago, Manuel said:

Unpopular, but I have decided not to put too much blame on most of the players.  Generalising, it seems that mostly the players hearts are in it and they put a shift in.  But when they get the ball they don't know what to do with it and as a team we have little plan or structure, or at least one that works.  That's down to poor management. 

That said, Onuachu, Aribo, AA, Bazunu can all go.  Woefully substandard.    

Orsic - no idea - have seen about 80 minutes of him.  Will probably never see him again. 

That 'shift' has been lacking for many players during many games this season.

Its also the very least they can do considering they're getting 30-80k a week

The management has been piss poor, but the players need to be held accountable too. The amount of embarrassing mistakes - the manager cant do anything about that

5 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

I'd keep Lyanco but the rest can fuck off. If any of the other 5 are retained or offered a new contract for next season, then we know that absolutely nothing has been learned and we'll continue on this downward spiral

Several (most) have looked inept (polite word) but they aren't, they are good players some very good indeed, international standard. The managers/coaches have failed to bring anything like the best out of them --no continuity, no recognisable style, changes changes changes sometimes three systems in one game--enough to destroy any player.

• Like 2

We have some that are so bad it is criminal that they are allowed to put 'Premiere League Footballer' on their CV's.  I'm not quite sure how, but we have amassed a shit load of woeful footballers.  Next season will be worse than this unless some drastic changes are made pretty quickly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Fucking Orsic is posting pictures on Instagram on him and his missus out tonight 

So what? If that fucking moron Selles wasn't interested in having him play ahead of Elyanoussi or Armstrong, and he's had nothing else to do for four months, why should he give a shit about it. Good luck to him I say.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Pilchards said:

The reason why these players are shit is because nobody has coached them properly and the whole club for the last few season is rotting at the core.

Put 90% of these players in a better team and they wouldn’t be so bad.

So my vote is not the players but the whole fucking management from the very TOP downwards.

This is spot on, I did a thing about a year ago showing how much worse almost all of our players got after about 5-10 games with us.  

nothing has changed (Lavia and Alcaraz exceptions) again this season, ABK looked fantastic early then crap, DCC fine then fell out of favour, AMN was ok early, now useless.

it can not be that everyone of these players is no good, it has to be the environment 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Bazunu has to have a mention - isn't he supposed to have saved 16 more goals than he has?  That would have made a huge difference.

I feel bad mentioning him because he isn't as obviously crap as say Moi or A. Armstrong but it's probably had a bigger effect on the season.

One of the most important positions in the team and we stick a teenager in who clearly wasn’t ready. Genius from the club. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

One of the most important positions in the team and we stick a teenager in who clearly wasn’t ready. Genius from the club. 

And in the process of doing so have probably ruined what could have been a decent career for Gavin. It'll take a lot for him to come back from this season, be interesting if the club stick or discard him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

And in the process of doing so have probably ruined what could have been a decent career for Gavin. It'll take a lot for him to come back from this season, be interesting if the club stick or discard him.

I reckon he’s a nailed on starter next season. Based on nothing in particular. 

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Bazunu has to have a mention - isn't he supposed to have saved 16 more goals than he has?  That would have made a huge difference.

I feel bad mentioning him because he isn't as obviously crap as say Moi or A. Armstrong but it's probably had a bigger effect on the season.

And McCarthy has been woeful since he came in letting in 1, 3, 3 and 2.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And McCarthy has been woeful since he came in letting in 1, 3, 3 and 2.

Take your point that it's not as if we had a wealth of talent that's obviously better.  However, Bazunu was the one that had the spot and he's the one that has let in goals that  he should have saved and is the worst keeper in the premier league.  Feel sorry for the lad because he shouldn't have been put in that position but in the context of who has had the most detrimental effect on the team, it's hard to argue against Bazunu.

8 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Take your point that it's not as if we had a wealth of talent that's obviously better.  However, Bazunu was the one that had the spot and he's the one that has let in goals that  he should have saved and is the worst keeper in the premier league.  Feel sorry for the lad because he shouldn't have been put in that position but in the context of who has had the most detrimental effect on the team, it's hard to argue against Bazunu.

Yep. We had no choice to begin with as McCarthy was injured at the start, allegedly.

Thing is with Elyounoussi, is I'd feel so disappointed and incredulous that he would basically get picked every game, despite repeatedly offering nothing. BUT, there's obviously a reason why he gets picked. Clearly trains well, follows instructions, is good 'against the ball' as our managers have been fond of saying. I don't think many people would say he doesn't put a shift it or try hard. He's unfortunately, just not quite good enough at this level. Maybe it's because I'm older, or a bit more detached than I used to be, but I feel a bit uncomfortable hating individuals because they can't do their job as well as we want them to and you can't blame players for getting picked. Ironically, even though on one hand I'd be happy for him not to play for us again, I actually think Elyounoussi could be quite good in the Championship, because in my opinion his biggest fault is that he isn't sharp enough in his decision making, and time is actually something you get a little bit more of in lesser divisions.

There seems to be a lot of talk about unrest behind the scenes, and while clearly you get see that in the team overall, not sure it's always easy to see it in individuals, even if they 'appear' to be lazy or uncaring. You just have to hope that the ones with bad attitudes are moved on, and the rest you can put down to poor management (whether that's on a manager or board level).

Edited by mrfahaji
  • Like 2

Just now, mrfahaji said:

Thing is with Elyounoussi, is I'd feel so disappointed and incredulous that he would basically get picked every game, despite repeatedly offering nothing. BUT, there's obviously a reason why he gets picked. Clearly trains well, follows instructions, is good 'against the ball' as our managers have been fond of saying. I don't think many people would say he doesn't put a shift it or try hard. He's unfortunately, just not quite good enough at this level. Maybe it's because I'm older, or a bit more detached that I used to be, but I feel a bit uncomfortable hating individuals because they can't do their job as well as we want them to and you can't blame players for getting picked. Ironically, even though on one hand I'd be happy for him not to play for us again, I actually think Elyounoussi could be quite good in the Championship, because in my opinion his biggest fault is that he isn't sharp enough in his decision making, and time is actually something you get a little bit more of in lesser divisions.

There seems to be a lot of talk about unrest behind the scenes, and while clearly you get see that in the team overall, not sure it's always easy to see it in individuals, even if they 'appear' to be lazy or uncaring. You just have to hope that the ones with bad attitudes are moved on, and the rest you can put down to poor management (whether that's on a manager or board level).

I pretty much agree with all of this, apart from I do think he should be gone this summer, as he doesnt deserve a new contract.  But we do need some continuity.  If we get rid of 20, and bring in 10 then it will probably take us until Christmas to get settled.

I've got no time for hating players because theyre not good enough. Especially if they are giving everything. But it's not difficult to see why some players heads have gone down this season.  We have had no focal point for months, and nothing going forward when Che hasn't played hence where the backwards / sideways football has come from. There is no point just booting it up the pitch if there is no-one there.

Sadly, we have a bunch of players who are not good enough, but thats not their fault they're on the pitch. Thats on the board for building a bloated squad of largely shite footballers.

• Like 3

Worst player huh, interesting very interesting, a lot of choice, some absolute whoppers this season pretty much across the board.

hmmmmmm soooooooo much choice.

Ok my worst player of this season has been................ah fuck it they've all been shit except from Lavia

its-been-emotional-walk-away.gif

Edited by Convict Colony