The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

30 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Good sound bites though for an election campaign....

I feel it does the opposite. It might appeal to a small fringe of their nuttier base but it seems like the majority of people will just see right through as yet another sound bite that will actually achieve next to nothing, and yet another feeble attempt at fighting an upcoming election on culture wars.

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Good sound bites though for an election campaign....

Yeah the Tories have made everyone better off.  Despite their media vehicles doing the best to convince and scare about the alternatives I genuinely cannot think of one reason to vote Tory. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, whelk said:

Yeah the Tories have made everyone better off.  Despite their media vehicles doing the best to convince and scare about the alternatives I genuinely cannot think of one reason to vote Tory. 

If you're a massive racist uncaring cunt, I can see why you might. 

Edited by Farmer Saint

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Why would that make life more difficult for the next government?

Likely that the election will be in May (November at the latest), so the new Government in place in either June or December.  They just reverse anything they don't like in the first week, re-raise taxes to the level they want them to be.

It's not a difficult thing to do, Liz the Lettuce's budget was reversed in a matter of days.

They’ll try & do what Gordon Brown did when he was on his way out. He made the  top rate of tax 50%. The Tories didn’t want their first act in government a tax cut for wealthy people (despite it being 40% the previous 12 years). Labour won’t want their first act to be putting people’s taxes up.

The thing that’ll really put the cat amongst the pigeons is if Hunt does something relating to non doms and spends that money elsewhere. Labour will be in a bit of a bind there because of their obsession with following Tory fiscal rules. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They’ll try & do what Gordon Brown did when he was on his way out. He made the  top rate of tax 50%. The Tories didn’t want their first act in government a tax cut for wealthy people (despite it being 40% the previous 12 years). Labour won’t want their first act to be putting people’s taxes up.

The thing that’ll really put the cat amongst the pigeons is if Hunt does something relating to non doms and spends that money elsewhere. Labour will be in a bit of a bind there because of their obsession with following Tory fiscal rules. 

That will be interesting as they'll need to move money around, but it's not insurmountable. If Hunt was clever he'd use the Non dom money on the NI cut. 

Agree with the rest. 

Edited by Farmer Saint

The Government's own statistical analysis of GDP is a little different from the story he wants us to hear;

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/A

And when he states "'debt is falling" what her means is that for the next three years at least it will increase but after that it is projected to start reducing.

Edited by badgerx16

21 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

That will be interesting as they'll need to move money around, but it's not insurmountable. If Hunt was clever he'd use the Non dom money on the NI cut. 

Agree with the rest. 

I think NI cut is reversible because you can sell it as pouring money into the NHS/pensions. The reality is it’s not hypothecated, but people think it is. More awkward would be using the money to increase the rate people start paying tax. I don’t know what the figures are, and personally I think taxing non doms want bring much in, but if the OBR sign off on a number, Labour will have to find that from somewhere. If Hunt can use that number in a “just” policy which Labour can’t reverse , it puts them in a corner slightly. It’ll certainly give them questions to answers, which is actually the main point of this political pony. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

27 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

How does her keep his face straight when saying the Tories are the party that lowers taxation ?

Because historically and/or philosophically they are? (Circumstances permitting)

Edited by trousers

Overall public sector spending to increase by 1% more than inflation up to 2029. However, given the embedded guarantees on increased NHS and education budgets, by the end of that period other services such as the Courts, prisons, and Local Government could see net reductions of up to 15%.

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I feel it does the opposite. It might appeal to a small fringe of their nuttier base but it seems like the majority of people will just see right through as yet another sound bite that will actually achieve next to nothing, and yet another feeble attempt at fighting an upcoming election on culture wars.

It's an appeal to the "red wall" to try and keep them now they can't use Brexit, small boats etc.

This reduction was welcome https://portfolio-adviser.com/spring-budget-2024-chancellor-increases-vat-threshold/#:~:text=Among the measures%2C Hunt announced,“still leaves question marks”.

More SMEs afloat is a good thing as they battle with energy costs, materials and Brexit. 

One area Labour can improve on next budget is the energy windfall tax from 2022. Too many caveats and loopholes. They won’t close them all but it’s a politically popular branch of fruit 🍈 https://neweconomics.org/2023/11/the-windfall-tax-was-supposed-to-rein-in-fossil-fuel-profits-instead-it-has-saved-corporations-billions

IFS drawing similar conclusions to me - recycling money but the overall burden rising on middle earners with 40% threshold drag https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68489236

I’d rather that he’d just cut the VAT ceiling and left NI - it’s minimal compared to energy costs on households. But it’s set a political trap (I know Brown did the same in 2010) and never mind core public services. Apparently, they can use just more AI or something. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

57 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

This reduction was welcome https://portfolio-adviser.com/spring-budget-2024-chancellor-increases-vat-threshold/#:~:text=Among the measures%2C Hunt announced,“still leaves question marks”.

More SMEs afloat is a good thing as they battle with energy costs, materials and Brexit. 

But as the threshold has been frozen, rather than increasing with inflation, since 2018 it has been an impediment to SME growth as businesses halt their turnover to avoid hitting £85k.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Hunt just stood there literally making up stuff.

The UK is set to become the next Silicon Valley...We lead the world in nuclear fuel technology...The UK is the global capital of creativity...

People are laughing at us, make it stop.

• Like 4

She's an idiot, even Rishi is sharp enough to only libel people in the House of Commons and not outside - all the mad stuff, he never repeats it where he can be challenged.

But it's right that taxpayers pick up the bill, her wild accusations of extremism to stoke up a culture war and blame others is clearly the election strategy.

She was just doing her job - took one for the team, and it distracts from the appalling budget.

• Like 3

Can any experts here let me know if there are any other jobs where you can resign after two days and be entitled to a 16k redundancy payment?

I thought roles were made redundant, not people? And I thought resigning is not the same?  And that usually there is a minimum term?

If anyone knows any other sector that works this way, I'd be keen to know so I can do some job hopping?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68503255

3 hours ago, pingpong said:

Can any experts here let me know if there are any other jobs where you can resign after two days and be entitled to a 16k redundancy payment?

I thought roles were made redundant, not people? And I thought resigning is not the same?  And that usually there is a minimum term?

If anyone knows any other sector that works this way, I'd be keen to know so I can do some job hopping?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68503255

Feasible that a CEO could take over a role on one day and then the company is sold the next with the buyers wanting to install their own leadership team?

Re Michelle Donelan, what an idiot jumping onto a completely and intentionally misleading tweet by the Policy Exchange, another Tory quango funded by dark money (yes, I know quangos are supposed to be public). On ‘Who Funds You?’, from A to E on transparency of funding, they get an E.

The entire Conservative movement needs training in this area, maybe just basic 11+ level literacy. Another of their Peers has had to apologise and pay damages over an allegation over a toy 🐙 and alleged anti-semitism over an episode of University Challenge I think it was, filmed months before the Gaza conflict even started. 

More about the Policy Exchange here which started in 2002 with centrist Tories but got taken over by hard right American money and yet another route for importing their toxic culture wars. No wonder the British public is moving at pace back to a Western European style democracy https://bylinetimes.com/2023/02/13/government-by-think-tank-the-return-of-policy-exchange/

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not with Lettuce Liz on it.

I think that I could put up with Lettuce Liz if I could spend over £1,200 of taxpayers money  on food and drink in a 24 hour period. 😝😝😝

Andrew Bridgen puts himself forward as the biggest and thickest headbanger in the H0C;

( The look of despair on Penny Mordaunt's face when she has to reply to the twat is priceless )

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Lee Anderson to join Reform today? It will be good to have them all in one party. There really should be a by-election when an MP defects to another party though.

Its worth noting that only recently he described his new boss as a “pound shop Nigel Farage”.

Duckhunter will be happy (by the way, it is not about the cost it is about the principle). He could have switched parties a month after the election, it really doesn’t matter. He was elected as a Conservative MP, not a Reform MP. As someone who says he believes in democracy, his constituents have been denied their democratic choice. If any MP drops down dead or leaves Parliament in the next few months there will be a by-election. We have recently had several by elections but you didn’t stir from your local ale house to complain that they were a waste of money? Technically there may not be an election until early next year anyway, no matter what Sunak has said. Stick to making up names to abuse our manager with eh? 

P.S. Anderson himself has been quoted as saying if you quit your party you should resign and fight a by-election. Another down right lie by one of the kind of people you vote for.

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 09/03/2024 at 19:29, badgerx16 said:

Andrew Bridgen puts himself forward as the biggest and thickest headbanger in the H0C;

( The look of despair on Penny Mordaunt's face when she has to reply to the twat is priceless )

Clearly an absolute crackpot, although the guy who made the video is also something of an obsessive weirdo; trying to make a conspiracy which is nothing to do with Brexit about Brexit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Lee Anderson to join Reform today? It will be good to have them all in one party. There really should be a by-election when an MP defects to another party though.

:mcinnes: Good idea Soggy. Let’s waste quarter of a million quid on a by-election a couple of months before a GE. A general election where no doubt you’ll be moaning about lack of public money. He didn’t even “defect to another party”, he was an independent.

Dear god,  If brains were taxed, you’d be owed a rebate. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

:mcinnes: Good idea Soggy. Let’s waste quarter of a million quid on a by-election a couple of months before a GE. A general election where no doubt you’ll be moaning about lack of public money. He didn’t even “defect to another party”, he was an independent.

... And the money saved can be given to Michelle Donlan so that she can continue to  libel whoever she likes at the expense of the taxpayer., 😂😂😂

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This is strange because when Anna Soubrey et al defected to Change UK in early 2019 you compared them to Douglas Carswell who defected to UKIP and said, "Wonder if they’ll be as principled as the tories that defected to UKIP and both fought by elections. Somehow I doubt it."  Here's the link: 

So I'm guessing you think a by election would actually be principled?  Incidentally Carswell resigned on 28th August 2014 and the next GE was in 7th May 2015 so in both Lee Anderson and Douglas Carswell situations there was less than a year before a GE.  

Interweb never forgets.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

This is strange because when Anna Soubrey et al defected to Change UK in early 2019 you compared them to Douglas Carswell who defected to UKIP and said, "Wonder if they’ll be as principled as the tories that defected to UKIP and both fought by elections. Somehow I doubt it."  Here's the link: 

So I'm guessing you think a by election would actually be principled?  Incidentally Carswell resigned on 28th August 2014 and the next GE was in 7th May 2015 so in both Lee Anderson and Douglas Carswell situations there was less than a year before a GE.  

Interweb never forgets.

Dear God. If people who wrote bollocks  were taxed Duckie would be bankrupt. 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 19:29, badgerx16 said:

Went the way of MLT but without the Premier League football career and earnings behind him.

https://www.indy100.com/politics/andrew-bridgen-mp-anti-vax

Mind you, saying the Tory Party should do more protect its MPs from extremism and manipulation is ironic when they’ve had the likes of Truss as Prime Minister! I’d say they are a leading cause of extremism since Brexit.

30p Lee joins Reform/BNP/whatever they are now in other news

• Like 1

3 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Interweb never forgets.

Anderson didn’t defect to another party, he was an independent. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to The 2024 General Election - July 4th