The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

I really can’t get too excited about Hester’s comments. The Etonian lot have contempt for all of us and are thinking worse. And anyone who thought obnoxious people don’t donate to the party are pretty naive and I couldn’t give a shit if the comments are considered racist and whether the apology shows contrition. Quite depressing how the news cycle works these days. Let’s have a phone in!

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

Hard to disagree with a tweet I saw earlier: 

I loathe Diane Abbott. 

I can’t stand Jeremy Hunt. 

I despise Rishi Sunak. 

I think Nadhim Zahawi is a disgraceful human being.

Zarah Sultana has the IQ of a rainbow trout. 

Humza Yousaf needs to get in the sea. 

Angela Rayner is a foul mouthed trollop who demeans her office. 

Jeremy Corbyn sickens me. 

Claudia Webbe is a thug.

Dawn Butler is a divisive race hustler and a proven liar.

Stella Creasy is a fantasist who thinks women have cocks. 

What do these people have in common? 

I’ll give the myopic collectivists a clue - it’s not their race

38 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hard to disagree with a tweet I saw earlier: 

I loathe Diane Abbott. 

I can’t stand Jeremy Hunt. 

I despise Rishi Sunak. 

I think Nadhim Zahawi is a disgraceful human being.

Zarah Sultana has the IQ of a rainbow trout. 

Humza Yousaf needs to get in the sea. 

Angela Rayner is a foul mouthed trollop who demeans her office. 

Jeremy Corbyn sickens me. 

Claudia Webbe is a thug.

Dawn Butler is a divisive race hustler and a proven liar.

Stella Creasy is a fantasist who thinks women have cocks. 

What do these people have in common? 

I’ll give the myopic collectivists a clue - it’s not their race

Desperate

• Like 1

Soggy, I’ll save you the brother of posting this & using up a third of your allowance. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/13/frank-hesters-ugly-words-about-me-are-a-reminder-all-parties-including-labour-must-stand-against-racism

“What did you make of this bit? 

“Senior Labour party officials said that “[Diane Abbott] literally makes me sick” and that she was “truly repulsive”.

what about this. 

“ they are expressions of visceral disgust, drawing (consciously or otherwise) on racist tropes, and they bear little resemblance to the criticisms of white male MPs elsewhere in the messages”.

“They did not actually call for me to be shot but the tenor was not dissimilar to what Hester said.”

“to this day none of the individuals concerned have apologised to me, and the Labour party has not apologised to me personally.”

Soggy? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

32 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Desperate

Odd. Did you have examples of the apologies from Diane Abbott? You claimed yesterday that she'd apologised for those racist remarks. 

Edited by hypochondriac

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Big Ange is brilliant, whoever wrote that can get in the bin.

Ange 😍

Yes very odd that subservient idiots happy to be ruled by Rees-Mogg but someone who has done brilliantly well from a tough start is loathed for her class and accent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Big Ange is brilliant, whoever wrote that can get in the bin.

Ange 😍

I agree. She’s the perfect women to marry. Not only happy to flash the ginger growler, but she fucks off to her own house afterwards …

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

Yes very odd that subservient idiots happy to be ruled by Rees-Mogg but someone who has done brilliantly well from a tough start is loathed for her class and accent. 

What if you've not a fan of Rayner but also think Rees-Mogg is a mong?

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Somebody needs to govern. Who is your preference?

At this point I don't want either party but given how awful the Tories have been, might as well let Labour have a go to see if they can do any better than awful. I have my doubts and don't think I can bring myself to actually vote for them (other than in the local elections because Jeremy Moulton is a stand up guy.) I'm certainly not looking forward to the likes of Lammy, Sultana and Creasy anywhere near the levers of power and my guess is they will do a fair bit of a damage in a different way to the Tories. My preference would be to get proportional representation in so that it's  actually worth voting. I am diametrically opposed to the politics of the mad commies who support Corbyn but they deserve to be represented in Parliament and we'd have a fair chance of some new parties with fresh ideas having some power (probably why it will never happen.)

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 1

Another Minister gone https://news.sky.com/story/armed-forces-minister-james-heappey-to-stand-down-at-general-election-13095145

Hilarious article yesterday on the i about how three of the four ex PMs from the last 10 years may be part of the GE campaign (Truss too much of a loose cannon). Can’t imagine Boris doing Rishi any favours on the campaign trail. Shows how deluded and out of touch they are, but when their reading sources are so limited they probably believe that bubble hook line and sinker.

Interesting thread between George Eaton of the New Statesman and Tim Montgomerie. Former saying that the polls narrowed a bit just before the 1997 GE and latter saying ‘no, they’ll lose harder than 1997, Major government had brought crime down, restored economic performance, lottery introduction, green policies with cross-party support etc’.

There was so much noise around Maastricht and the Eurosceptics, plus the sleaze that it drowned the above progress out. Plus Blair, Brown and Mandelson had a slick operation by then too, more so than Labour now, tidy but limited as they are. 

Both Major and Blair look amazing compared to the last 14 years of chaos - worst economic performance postwar, highest postwar taxes, a disaster hard Brexit with a deal Sunak has had to top up straight away (Boris and Frost forgot to turn the oven on, let alone an oven ready deal), public debt as % of GDP doubled from 2010 and bearing in mind it was far lower for most of the 2000s, local authorities bankrupt, public services non-existant in places, no NHS dentists, NHS waiting lists huge and over 1m vacancies, schools, colleges and universities in financial trouble, SMEs who export crippled by Brexit red tape. Energy bills out of control and water bills set to double after 2025 (can’t blame Ukraine war for that).

Tim has a point! No plastic American culture war crap is going to wipe that horrific legacy out. Winter of Discontent+++

Not even mentioned Truss, proroguing of Parliament, PPE VIP £30bn to their mates etc

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Another Minister gone https://news.sky.com/story/armed-forces-minister-james-heappey-to-stand-down-at-general-election-13095145

Hilarious article yesterday on the i about how three of the four ex PMs from the last 10 years may be part of the GE campaign (Truss too much of a loose cannon). Can’t imagine Boris doing Rishi any favours on the campaign trail. Shows how deluded and out of touch they are, but when their reading sources are so limited they probably believe that bubble hook line and sinker.

Interesting thread between George Eaton of the New Statesman and Tim Montgomerie. Former saying that the polls narrowed a bit just before the 1997 GE and latter saying ‘no, they’ll lose harder than 1997, Major government had brought crime down, restored economic performance, lottery introduction, green policies with cross-party support etc’.

There was so much noise around Maastricht and the Eurosceptics, plus the sleaze that it drowned the above progress out. Plus Blair, Brown and Mandelson had a slick operation by then too, more so than Labour now, tidy but limited as they are. 

Both Major and Blair look amazing compared to the last 14 years of chaos - worst economic performance postwar, highest postwar taxes, a disaster hard Brexit with a deal Sunak has had to top up straight away (Boris and Frost forgot to turn the oven on, let alone an oven ready deal), public debt as % of GDP doubled from 2010 and bearing in mind it was far lower for most of the 2000s, local authorities bankrupt, public services non-existant in places, no NHS dentists, NHS waiting lists huge and over 1m vacancies, schools, colleges and universities in financial trouble, SMEs who export crippled by Brexit red tape. Energy bills out of control and water bills set to double after 2025 (can’t blame Ukraine war for that).

Tim has a point! No plastic American culture war crap is going to wipe that horrific legacy out. Winter of Discontent+++

Not even mentioned Truss, proroguing of Parliament, PPE VIP £30bn to their mates etc

Yeah but politicians are all the same.  Umm something about defining a woman, and boats.

• Like 2

I can understand why Sunak isn't calling an election in early May and will want to hang on for as long as possible. The polls indicate a Tory disaster and he is hoping that "something will turn up". All that he is doing though by hanging on is trashing the Tory brand. Every week something bad comes up which damages the party  - this week it is Tory racist donors and the Lee Anderson defection. Last week it was Islamaphobia and Budget despondency. God knoes what it will be next weeh. 

It would be better for the Conservatives if he were ti call a quick election and they were put out of their misery. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I can understand why Sunak isn't calling an election in early May and will want to hang on for as long as possible. The polls indicate a Tory disaster and he is hoping that "something will turn up". All that he is doing though by hanging on is trashing the Tory brand. Every week something bad comes up which damages the party  - this week it is Tory racist donors and the Lee Anderson defection. Last week it was Islamaphobia and Budget despondency. God knoes what it will be next weeh. 

It would be better for the Conservatives if he were ti call a quick election and they were put out of their misery. 

Also, with every month that goes by there are thousands more people who are worse off because they have had to renew their mortgage.

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

There's been a decade of that.  Another couple of months will make no difference at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Also, with every month that goes by there are thousands more people who are worse off because they have had to renew their mortgage.

Equally people shouldn't have overstretched themselves by taking on mortgages they couldn't afford if interest rates went up. Oh no, lets blame the government and absolve ourselves or responsibility again. 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

I look forward to my mortgage payments reducing within months of Labour winning the election.  This time next year we'll be down to 0.5% again no doubt.

Although I don't remember you praising the Tory's for about 8 years of interest rates below 1%....

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Equally people shouldn't have overstretched themselves by taking on mortgages they couldn't afford if interest rates went up. Oh no, lets blame the government and absolve ourselves or responsibility again. 🙄

36 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I look forward to my mortgage payments reducing within months of Labour winning the election.  This time next year we'll be down to 0.5% again no doubt.

Although I don't remember you praising the Tory's for about 8 years of interest rates below 1%....

Both spectacularly missing the point.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Both spectacularly missing the point.

Absolutely not. My point is that it’s about filling from your own cup, or taking responsibility for yourself. We all know the tories are useless and irresponsible but so is taking out a long term debt and expecting interest rates to stay at a record low for the duration of it. It might be their cock ups that have led to this but it’s not their fault people took a debt they couldn’t afford. Interest rates would have gone up whoever was in charge. Its  a lot more comforting for people to blame others than themselves though 

15 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Enlighten us. It's not often aintclever has a point - at least not an original one.

I wasn’t moaning about my mortgage, I’m on a fixed for a while yet.

My point was that if people are struggling financially they tend to take it out on the party in power when they vote. I would imagine they will this time particularly given how the Conservatives crashed the economy so spectacularly causing rates to shoot up.

That spell it out clearly enough for you or do you want me to draw some pictures with crayons?

Edited by aintforever

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

My point was that if people are struggling financially they tend to take it out on the party in power when they vote. I would imagine they will this time particularly given how the Conservatives crashed the economy so spectacularly causing rates to shoot up.

That spell it out clear enough for you or do you want me to draw some pictures with crayons?

LOL

11 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That spell it out clearly enough for you or do you want me to draw some pictures with crayons?

This is the problem with you. On the extremely rare occasion you do make a valid point you then make a stupid comment like that at the end. This one is particularly ironic as it’s usually you that need things spelt out. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Not really. If what you say is true, then the opposite is also true and that Boris won a stonking majority in the last election because the interest rates were so low.

I doubt there was one single person who had their mortgage in mind when they voted in the last election.

You've invented a straw man argument to fit around the current global issues with interest rates.  Bless you for thinking that Theresa May was actually powerful enough to cause a global phenomenon.

So many hundreds of sticks you could beat the Tory's with and you've chosen this.

Probably safer to stick to schools, hospitals, shit roads, shit public transport, shit doctors, shit local services etc etc as the reason why they don't have a hope in hell, not because some dullard didn't believe that their mortgage would go up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Absolutely not. My point is that it’s about filling from your own cup, or taking responsibility for yourself. We all know the tories are useless and irresponsible but so is taking out a long term debt and expecting interest rates to stay at a record low for the duration of it. It might be their cock ups that have led to this but it’s not their fault people took a debt they couldn’t afford. Interest rates would have gone up whoever was in charge. Its  a lot more comforting for people to blame others than themselves though 

It's all very well pointing to personal responsibility, but it ignores the fact that entire point of reducing interests  rates is to encourage people to borrow what they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford in order to get the economy moving. It's like dangling a carrot and then criticising the donkey for actually taking it.

People are like lemmings (from the old video game, not real ones). If you give them the opportunity to do something, they will always do it. If you offer people cheap mortgage rates, how many people are honestly going to turn down the opportunity to take one out and buy a home because rates *might* go up again in future? 

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's all very well pointing to personal responsibility, but it ignores the fact that entire point of reducing interests  rates is to encourage people to borrow what they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford in order to get the economy moving. It's like dangling a carrot and then criticising the donkey for actually taking it.

People are like lemmings (from the old video game, not real ones). If you give them the opportunity to do something, they will always do it. If you offer people cheap mortgage rates, how many people are honestly going to turn down the opportunity to take one out and buy a home because rates *might* go up again in future? 

That's a whole different argument and relies on the lenders carrying out appropriate stress tests, being truthful and ultimately making sure their clients understand the implications.

That's not the fault of the Government that stupid people can't plan for the future.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

There is no might about it, they were always going to over the period of a 20 odd year mortgage., simply looking at history tells you that. To think anything otherwise is stupid and irresponsible 

Just now, Turkish said:

There is no might about it, they were always going to over the period of a 20 odd year mortgage., simply looking at history tells you that. To think anything otherwise is stupid and irresponsible 

Don't tell me you are a right old Tory, who thought interest rates would stay at 0.1%?

15 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not really. If what you say is true, then the opposite is also true and that Boris won a stonking majority in the last election because the interest rates were so low.

I doubt there was one single person who had their mortgage in mind when they voted in the last election.

You've invented a straw man argument to fit around the current global issues with interest rates.  Bless you for thinking that Theresa May was actually powerful enough to cause a global phenomenon.

So many hundreds of sticks you could beat the Tory's with and you've chosen this.

Probably safer to stick to schools, hospitals, shit roads, shit public transport, shit doctors, shit local services etc etc as the reason why they don't have a hope in hell, not because some dullard didn't believe that their mortgage would go up.

There are all sorts of reasons why people vote how they do, if people feel worse off it generally doesn’t help the party in power, that is just obvious. 

17 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's a whole different argument and relies on the lenders carrying out appropriate stress tests, being truthful and ultimately making sure their clients understand the implications.

That's not the fault of the Government that stupid people can't plan for the future.

It might be the fault of the Education system.

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Life is a gamble and people have to take on a big loan in order to buy a house and people have to take it on the chin if the interest rates go on.

And if happens they are going to bitch and moan about the thing that caused it and if that thing is a political party they are probably not going to vote for them. That was the point.

Most large spikes in interest rates are caused by world event outside of the UK governments control. This one was caused solely by Truss and her ridiculous sixth form fantasy economics. It should be no surprise that a lot of people won't vote for the tories because of it, whatever the rights and wrongs of personal financial responsibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Don't tell me you are a right old Tory, who thought interest rates would stay at 0.1%?

One of the best bits of advice I ever got was from a friends dad when I was about 21 who said try and make sure your mortgage is never more than 25% of your household income that way whatever happens to mortgage rates you’ll be able to afford it

whilst other people were buying the most expensive house they can afford (in some cases couldn't) and telling me to do the same I stuck to this as best I could. Whilst they had a nicer house in a nicer area they struggled to pay the bill we had a much better quality of life.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

Just now, Fan The Flames said:

Life is a gamble and people have to take on a big loan in order to buy a house and people have to take it on the chin if the interest rates go on.

And if happens they are going to bitch and moan about the thing that caused it and if that thing is a political party they are probably not going to vote for them. That was the point.

Most large spikes in interest rates are caused by world event outside of the UK governments control. This one was caused solely by Truss and her ridiculous sixth form fantasy economics. It should be no surprise that a lot of people won't vote for the tories because of it, whatever the rights and wrongs of personal financial responsibility.

what one? 

The Ukraine War? Insane Green Agenda? The ludacris Furlough scheme and the associated lockdowns that cost the country £400bn ?

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Still spectacularly missing point.

3 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Yep people will vote the tories out because they have proven themselves incompetent. That doesn’t mean it’s a stupid thing to do to take out a mortgage so big you’d struggle to repay it with a change in interest rates

by the way Liz “Nathan jones” Truss was a clown but interest rates are also a global issue at the moment 

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

what one? 

The Ukraine War? Insane Green Agenda? The ludacris Furlough scheme and the associated lockdowns that cost the country £400bn ?

Mate the markets went loopy over night after Trusses mini budget. You know the thing that caused the Tory party to make her the shortest serving PM ever.

• Like 1

Just now, Fan The Flames said:

Mate the markets went loopy over night after Trusses mini budget. You know the thing that caused the Tory party to make her the shortest serving PM ever.

Great, what does that have to do with the western world experiencing interest rate hikes and people taking out massive mortgages when they were at 0.1%?

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep people will vote the tories out because they have proven themselves incompetent. That doesn’t mean it’s a stupid thing to do to take out a mortgage so big you’d struggle to repay it with a change in interest rates

by the way Liz “Nathan jones” Truss was a clown but interest rates are also a global issue at the moment 

Yes but a massive mortgage wasn't the pertinent point, that point was that every month more people will become pissed off with the tories.

On your point, people are forced to be a bit stupid if you want to buy a nice house.

3 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Work it out Dell Days.

depends where you look..

There was growing awareness that inflation was not going to be the short-term problem Andrew Bailey had hoped for, and the falling value of the pound, meant inflation was going higher as companies had to pay more for goods bought from overseas, passing on the cost to consumers.

Those on standard variable or tracker mortgage rates saw their monthly costs soar immediately, and those unlucky enough to be on expiring fixes also saw prices rise.

Borrowing £200,000 at 4.74 per cent would cost £1,139 per month. A rate of 6.65 per cent? £1,370.

So was the mini-Budget responsible for making the rate of inflation higher than it would have been had it never happened?

Economists now play down causality. “The link between that mini-Budget and inflation was not a very strong one – the vast majority of that rise was down to the increase in energy costs” explains James Smith of the Resolution Foundation think-tank.

Interest rates are now at 5.25 per cent – far higher than after the mini-Budget – and as a result average fixed-rate mortgages are now higher than they ever were.

So can the mini-Budget shoulder any blame for the rates that those who are remortgaging now are facing?

The short answer is no.

Smith explains that “the key driver” of the increasing rate in recent months has been down to the stickiness of inflation, rather than mini-Budget after effects.

However, economists explain that had we had not had the mini-Budget, we would have reached the rate we have now, more slowly.

“Due to the mini-Budget we spent a longer time at higher interest rates given the sharp rises at the end of last year,” explains Neufeld.

Brokers agree that those homeowners who are remortgaging now – when average rates are even higher than at the mini-budget peak – cannot blame the mini-Budget for their plight.

12 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Yes but a massive mortgage wasn't the pertinent point, that point was that every month more people will become pissed off with the tories.

On your point, people are forced to be a bit stupid if you want to buy a nice house.

Yes and the reason given was because they’ve got mortgages they’re struggling to pay. Maybe they should look closer to home for the reason why rather than blaming external factors that they can’t control. 

24 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Yeah but his point is maybe they can’t afford a nice house and need to make do with something more affordable 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to The 2024 General Election - July 4th