The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Anderson didn’t defect to another party, he was an independent. 

He was elected as a Tory. If he had stood as an independent he almost certainly would not be an MP.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 6

Just now, badgerx16 said:

He was elected as a Tory.

They threw him out. You can’t have people chucked out of parties having to stand in a by-election, it’ll give more power to the whips and pressure on MP’s  to tow the party line. I thought people didn’t want more and more lobby fodder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They threw him out. You can’t have people chucked out of parties having to stand in a by-election, it’ll give more power to the whips and pressure on MP’s  to tow the party line. I thought people didn’t want more and more lobby fodder. 

But the electors of his constituency decided that they wanted a Tory, based on their manifesto. If he wants to be a Reform MP he should have to ask them if they still want him as MP, based on that Party's beliefs and ideals.

After all, we do have Recall Petitions.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Dear god,  If brains were taxed, you’d be owed a rebate. 

4 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Dear God. If people who wrote bollocks  were taxed Duckie would be bankrupt. 

Not quite there yet mate, but don’t give up. 

#poundshopDuckie 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

36 minutes ago, trousers said:

Straight out of the Nicola Sturgeon guidebook.... That turned out well...

Just what went through my mind, when I read it.

A concerted effort to centralise power. In Sturgeon's case, that was a gradual process, with a lot of those involved stilly giddy at the thought of a shared cause. Many still don't see how badly that was hijacked by a core of a few controlling finances, trying to rig elections, and making catestrophic decisions.

Eventually, as Labour will discover, you end up isolating your core support, stifle useful debate and concentrate power in the hands of an inner group, who simply aren't up to the job. They might be able to purge those with dissenting views. But, as Sturgeon found, there's plenty within her own party waiting for it to fall apart, as they've not been included in the decision making.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Anderson didn’t defect to another party, he was an independent. 

Ha ha, hilarious.  Fact of the matter is even you think there should be a by-election.  You even think it's principled.  Problem with you is that every time SOG comes out with something you immediately go the opposite way.  It was exactly the same with Brexit - remember labelling Julian Lewis a remainer?  Busted flush mate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

So Starmer wants to end traditional Cabinet government by, erm, still needing Cabinet approval for stuff.

Wow. What a monster he is.

It's from a report commissioned by the Institute for Government that recommends reforming the way the Cabinet works as it is too big and unwieldy, and also suggests reforms to the Cabinet Office and the Civil Service. It's not as if the current Cabinet is much more than a collection of the PM's yes-men.

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/professions/article/ifg-commission-recommends-new-department-for-the-civil-service

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Best comment I've seen today...

"Lee Anderson's defection to Reform UK has had the unusual effect of increasing the average IQ of both parties".

Christopher Hope of GB News - large pinch of salt naturally - saying this morning that up to nine Tory MPs in advanced talks with Reform. Fair to say that they won’t all be independents first…

• Like 1

For the poster who accused me of racism for criticising Kemi Badenoch for her political views and conduct, he might like to compare what I have said to what a major Tory donor has said about Diane Abbott. Now that, hypochondriac, is what is clearly a racist comment. See the difference?

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/11/biggest-tory-donor-looking-diane-abbott-hate-all-black-women

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Brilliant.  Now we're going down the road of asking direct questions to people who are apparently on ignore.

Absolutely off his rocker and full of shit.

I’m not sure what this has to do with you but I will respond anyway. As I have said many times, it is possible to have posters on ignore and still chose to read their posts occasionally. The posts appear when posted and you have a choice whether to open them or not.You also can’t avoid them if another poster quotes them as they appear in their own post. I hope that this helps clarify the situation for you?
I’m sorry that you feel more compelled to have a dig at a poster rather than comment on the contents of my post. Are you ok with a major Tory donor making a blatant racist comment and suggesting that an MP should be shot? That seems to me to be a bigger issue. Perhaps you agree with him?

More importantly though, still no comment about the Hester situation from the Minister for Women and Equalities, a certain Ms Kemi Badenoch.

Update: she has finally made a statement. She was doing so well until the part about forgiveness where there is contrition. There was only contrition because he was called out but hey, they will get to keep his £10m so all’s well 🙄

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I’m not sure what this has to do with you but I will respond anyway. As I have said many times, it is possible to have posters on ignore and still chose to read their posts occasionally.

Yes, we all know it's possible.

Fucking weird though!  Oh, I want to ignore your posts, until you post something, then I want to read them.

Weirdo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Are you ok with a major Tory donor making a blatant racist comment and suggesting that an MP should be shot? That seems to me to be a bigger issue. Perhaps you agree with him?

More made up rubbish.

Funnily enough it’s quite possible to think you’re a spanner while also hoping the Tories (and their hideous donors) get fired into the sun at the earliest possible opportunity.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

More made up rubbish.

Funnily enough it’s quite possible to think you’re a spanner while also hoping the Tories (and their hideous donors) get fired into the sun at the earliest possible opportunity.

He cannot process that people who disagree with him aren’t far right racist Tory supporters. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

For the poster who accused me of racism for criticising Kemi Badenoch for her political views and conduct, he might like to compare what I have said to what a major Tory donor has said about Diane Abbott. Now that, hypochondriac, is what is clearly a racist comment. See the difference?

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/11/biggest-tory-donor-looking-diane-abbott-hate-all-black-women

Pointing the fingers at others doesn't make your own comments about black women any better. 

• Like 1

Oh and regarding Diane - I don't think the solution to any odious racist is to threaten to shoot them. They should instead be shown up for the small minded simpletons they are. It doesn't matter how objectionable their views or how rancid their rhetoric, violence is not the answer. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Oh and regarding Diane - I don't think the solution to any odious racist is to threaten to shoot them. They should instead be shown up for the small minded simpletons they are. It doesn't matter how objectionable their views or how rancid their rhetoric, violence is not the answer. 

Well quite, and threatening violence is absolutely unforgivable.

(Unless you donate 10m to the tories, and then it's  forgivable).

Also, it was a private meeting, her skin colour (or gender) has no relation to why he finds it difficult not to hate all black women, and also 10m. Did I mention the 10m? Not relevant of course. We should forgive the 10m guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I’m not sure what this has to do with you but I will respond anyway. As I have said many times, it is possible to have posters on ignore and still chose to read their posts occasionally. The posts appear when posted and you have a choice whether to open them or not.You also can’t avoid them if another poster quotes them as they appear in their own post. I hope that this helps clarify the situation for you?
I’m sorry that you feel more compelled to have a dig at a poster rather than comment on the contents of my post. Are you ok with a major Tory donor making a blatant racist comment and suggesting that an MP should be shot? That seems to me to be a bigger issue. Perhaps you agree with him?

More importantly though, still no comment about the Hester situation from the Minister for Women and Equalities, a certain Ms Kemi Badenoch.

Update: she has finally made a statement. She was doing so well until the part about forgiveness where there is contrition. There was only contrition because he was called out but hey, they will get to keep his £10m so all’s well 🙄

Don’t you have to take them off ignore to reply to them though? You know like how you replied to me on Sunday night despite claiming to have me on ignore

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, pingpong said:

Well quite, and threatening violence is absolutely unforgivable.

(Unless you donate 10m to the tories, and then it's  forgivable).

Also, it was a private meeting, her skin colour (or gender) has no relation to why he finds it difficult not to hate all black women, and also 10m. Did I mention the 10m? Not relevant of course. We should forgive the 10m guy.

I like the idea that for the majority of crimes, it's possible to be redeemed by showing contrition and with a genuine apology. I don't know about this case because I haven't looked into it enough but the concept of being dammed forever because of mistakes you have made is a very leftist social media thing that I'm personally not a fan of. Diane is of course a racist herself which doesn't excuse this blokes actions of course but worth highlighting that we've also never had any apologies for many of her comments. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I like the idea that for the majority of crimes, it's possible to be redeemed by showing contrition and with a genuine apology. I don't know about this case because I haven't looked into it enough but the concept of being dammed forever because of mistakes you have made is a very leftist social media thing that I'm personally not a fan of. Diane is of course a racist herself which doesn't excuse this blokes actions of course but worth highlighting that we've also never had any apologies for many of her comments. 

Waffle, there is a wide space between redemption and dammed forerver. 

Well done taking another opportunity to damn DA, I assume you will be doing this in perpetuity.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Waffle, there is a wide space between redemption and dammed forerver. 

Well done taking another opportunity to damn DA, I assume you will be doing this in perpetuity.

If she showed contrition and gave a genuine apology I think it would be much easier to move on. 

I was replying to pingpong by the way who said it was "unforgivable."

Edited by hypochondriac

Hester’s comments are clearly racist, especially the follow-up ones even taking the Diane Abbot ones out of the equation. Hopefully he’s learned from it and I doubt if the party will getting further donations on that scale.

Their communications are shambles on this and it reflects a lack of leadership direction and values https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68552407

Some justice really as they went big on the whole culture war crap copying Bannon and Trump like 14 year old kids peering over another’s shoulder to see their homework answers. The result is a 🪃 effect smacking them in their own mouth, and that’s without Donelan’s stupidity we are paying the tab for. 

The other parties shouldn’t worry if they have a bad day, the Tories are like Saints last season. They might score one but they ship three, four or even five soft ones in quick succession, some own goals. Rather like the four Spurs goals in 5 minutes at WHL v Saints on Sky under Branfoot. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

They are a complete mess under Sunak, it's just gaff after gaff. Last week it was them making a big song and dance about extremists hijacking our democracy, now it turns out extremists are funding their party. You couldn't make it up.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, aintforever said:

They are a complete mess under Sunak, it's just gaff after gaff. Last week it was them making a big song and dance about extremists hijacking our democracy, now it turns out extremists are funding their party. You couldn't make it up.

It seems that extremists are funding a few of our political parties. Absolutely vile comments. Let's hope that Starmer takes appropriate action and returns the donated money. Like you say, you couldn't make it up. 

Screenshot_20240313_152937_X.jpg

Edited by hypochondriac

Guido Fawkes is definitely demanding that the Tory Donor return the money right?

He's definitely doing that and not just his usual false equivalence shit stirring, right?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Guido Fawkes is definitely demanding that the Tory Donor return the money right?

He's definitely doing that and not just his usual false equivalence shit stirring, right?

I presume he's highlighting the hypocrisy of the labour party demanding that donator money is returned when they say something objectionable and wrong whilst their own party has donors who make similarly objectionable comments. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I presume he's highlighting the hypocrisy of the labour party demanding that donator money is returned when they say something objectionable and wrong whilst their own party has donors who make similarly objectionable comments. 

"Similarly objectionable. " Sorry. I seem to have missed a Labour supporter saying that a Tory MP should be shot. When was this said?? 

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If she showed contrition and gave a genuine apology I think it would be much easier to move on. 

I was replying to pingpong by the way who said it was "unforgivable."

She has, but you won't move on because you hate her politics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah, it isn't. Desperate dredging up of false equivalence to suit Guido's entire premise which is "they're all the same so just vote for the right wing option". 

Even in the tiny clip fact Guido has put up you can see Dale Vince being challenged on his stupid assertion, and how it does not align at all with the Labour position, which he concedes. It's a broadcast interview that has already been public domain, and he was held to acount in the moment when he said it. It's not some fucking bombshell revelation.

Leftier than thou shite about one-mans-terrorist-is-another-mans-etc is pretty dumb but absolutely not about hating all black women and wanting one particular one shot.

Guido-ettes absolutely falling over themselves to excuse one - just a joke he's apologised for, hes regretful etc etc - then getting into a pearl clutching tizz once they find a previously broadcast clip of a labour person saying something else entirely. They'll have plenty of clips of Tory's drooling over, say, Russia which would be equivalent to Dale Vince's rubbish.

It's not Labour who are the hypocrites here.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

"Similarly objectionable. " Sorry. I seem to have missed a Labour supporter saying that a Tory MP should be shot. When was this said?? 

Calling a proscribed terrorist group who include rapists and child murderers freedom fighters is appaling. Quite telling if you don't consider it objectionable. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

She has, but you won't move on because you hate her politics.

Interesting. "white people like to play divide and rule", "west Indian mothers will go to the wall for their children", "blonde blue-eyed Finnish girls should not work in Hackney". 

Think I missed the apologies for these. Do you have a link? 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Yeah, it isn't. Desperate dredging up of false equivalence to suit Guido's entire premise which is "they're all the same so just vote for the right wing option". 

Even in the tiny clip fact Guido has put up you can see Dale Vince being challenged on his stupid assertion, and how it does not align at all with the Labour position, which he concedes. It's a broadcast interview that has already been public domain, and he was held to acount in the moment when he said it. It's not some fucking bombshell revelation.

Leftier than thou shite about one-mans-terrorist-is-another-mans-etc is pretty dumb but absolutely not about hating all black women and wanting one particular one shot.

Guido-ettes absolutely falling over themselves to excuse one - just a joke he's apologised for, hes regretful etc etc - then getting into a pearl clutching tizz once they find a previously broadcast clip of a labour person saying something else entirely. They'll have plenty of clips of Tory's drooling over, say, Russia which would be equivalent to Dale Vince's rubbish.

It's not Labour who are the hypocrites here.

I don't think anyone should vote Conservative. 

• Like 1

46 times Diane stood up to catch the Speaker's attention but in the end they simply ran out of time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-68558133

Veteran MP Diane Abbott stood up to catch the Speaker's eye 46 times during a PMQs dominated by a debate about racist comments.

I guess they felt the debate about racist comments didn't really need her racist comments to be added to it!

A racist donor paying a political party to get big contracts in return isn't a great look, defending that is a worse look -  but these are just distractions from the reality.

The country is broken, we need a new approach, and not in a Truss way.

Rishi doesn't appear to have a plan, so he needs to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

.....,"they're all the same so just vote for the right wing option".

The Tory election mantra seems to be "Things are still broken, but look at the forecasts: in 5 year's time it will look like it is starting to get better, so re-elect us.

Pretty please.

Oh, and while we are at it, here in our left hand is a "tax cut". Not a sweetener, nor a bribe, no Sir. Just keep looking at our left hand. Don't look at the right hand, just the left hand. Nothing to see in our right hand. That effective tax rise from frozen thresholds isn't there. Honest."

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to The 2024 General Election - July 4th