Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

Last season we had a net spend of £121m. Brighton spent £74m, Bournemouth £73m and Fulham £42m. 

The problem was that the first lot of expenditure in the September window was spent on mainly poor players, presumably on the advice of Mr Ankersen.

As I keep on saying Rasmus has no influence on buying players. He’s in charge of enlarging the SR portfolio. Jason Wilcox and Mowbray deal with coaching and choosing players.

1 minute ago, manji said:

As I keep on saying Rasmus has no influence on buying players. He’s in charge of enlarging the SR portfolio. Jason Wilcox and Mowbray deal with coaching and choosing players.

are you saying Rasmus had no influence on buying players last season? That is where the real damage to this club was done under SR

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

are you saying Rasmus had no influence on buying players last season? That is where the real damage to this club was done under SR

Oh gawd here we go again. Joe Shields was head of recruitment at the start of the season he walked and went to Chelsea. Rasmus was right at the last moment put in charge of recruitment. He didn’t even want the position. We were fucked by Shields leaving.

Just now, manji said:

Oh gawd here we go again. Joe Shields was head of recruitment at the start of the season he walked and went to Chelsea. Rasmus was right at the last moment put in charge of recruitment. He didn’t even want the position. We were fucked by Shields leaving.

Was Rasmus forced to push through our ludacris Jan signings?

12 minutes ago, manji said:

Is it true Jason Wilcox is on gardening leave pre joining Man U and has not been at Staplewood for a while ? If so, does Rasmus step back again ?

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

Things seem to have gone down the pan since the January window. Does Rusty have too many options? No doubting Brooks is a quality player and Rothwell has looked decent in patches but are the amount of options he has effecting his judgement? 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Things seem to have gone down the pan since the January window. Does Rusty have too many options? No doubting Brooks is a quality player and Rothwell has looked decent in patches but are the amount of options he has effecting his judgement? 

It's options in places we were already ok that's the problem. Rothwell is no Stu or Aribo. We had Edozie and Fraser tearing up the wing. What we didn't have was cover for Downes or a striker (and arguably a keeper). Just recruiting more attacking midfielders is a bit Man Utd...

• Like 3

Just now, coalman said:

It's options in places we were already ok that's the problem. Rothwell is no Stu or Aribo. We had Edozie and Fraser tearing up the wing. What we didn't have was cover for Downes or a striker (and arguably a keeper). Just recruiting more attacking midfielders is a bit Man Utd...

Precisely. We’re overloaded in some positions and light in others CDM and full back 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yep, been thinking the same.  We seemed to have a settled starting 11 but it now feels like we chop and change for the sake of it more often than during our infamous unbeaten run

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Is it true Jason Wilcox is on gardening leave pre joining Man U and has not been at Staplewood for a while ? If so, does Rasmus step back again ?

Hopefully, we could do with a confidence boost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, been thinking the same.  We seemed to have a settled starting 11 but it now feels like we chop and change for the sake of it more often than during our infamous unbeaten run

Exactly that. Sully comes in from now where then em he’s out today. Edozie who has done not much wrong doesn’t make the team, Armstrong doing well coming in from the right pushed inside to accommodate Brooks, etc. meanwhile when Downes is out we’ve got no one to come in and minimal cover at full back. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

You could also argue they started going right when Sulemana and Stephens got injured too.

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

You could also argue they started going right when Sulemana and Stephens got injured too.

Yeah, different cause, same effect...i.e. less players to 'tinker' with, ergo a more settled starting 11, ergo more consistent results....

OUT OUT OUT OUT OUT OUT 

Even more pathetic than Selles, Jones or Ralph's teams from last season.

There's a reason players are supposed to be frightened of their manager. This guy is the biggest fanny going and he needs to fuck off back to Brighton and run a tea shop, because top level management ain't for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I would genuinely sack him and get another manager in who can get this lot up through the playoffs. Said it at the start of the season, he's massively out of his depth. This was only masked by the 25 game run against all the cross in the league! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tauro said:

I would genuinely sack him and get another manager in who can get this lot up through the playoffs. Said it at the start of the season, he's massively out of his depth. This was only masked by the 25 game run against all the cross in the league! 

I know what you’re saying but having shortfailings masked by a 25 game unbeaten run sounds odd !

• Haha 1

That unbeaten run was good, but it doesn't really mean anything. Another new record for us though, the only team to go unbeaten for 5 months and not achieve anything. (that kind of suggests there were too many draws mixed in tbf).

It's not been a bad season by any stretch, but ultimately we've failed on the number 1 objective which was auto promotion. Winning the playoffs is the second route to it, so that will remain open...but we're incapable of keeping clean sheets against any relatively decent side, so we're going to need to outscore everyone in the playoffs by some margin - not sure it's sustainable or doable. We'll see.

The frustration for me this season is that we caught up at Christmas through to the end of Jan - that run brought us right into the mix. We used the window to add PL quality in Brooks to the side, didn't lose anyone (bar Charly) and we looked set to give it a good go to the death. But since February we have absolutely bollocksed it in the worst way I could have ever imagined. I knew we'd lose a game again this season, but we've dropped so many points in the last 8 weeks which has killed our season dead before the run-in had a chance to start. We did all the hard work and then lost the plot. Certainly need to understand WTF happened during February to derail us as badly as we have been.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

I can’t really be objective as I’d have sacked the prick after Middlesbrough away, and nothing I’ve seen since has really swayed my opinion. Arrogant twat of a manager. 

• Like 4

Just to put our collapse into some context, this was the table just 9 games ago after we'd beaten Huddersfield 5-3, all on equal games.

image.thumb.png.10d37488c58bacd7c4f0927b4ea55a72.png

9 games later...(or 6 in the context of our games in hand)

image.thumb.png.06dc858605d23eabd57cddb66f00b1bd.png

That's as big a fuck up as Leicester in my opinion. It was in our hands, we had all the momentum and once we got there you thought we'd grab it just like Leeds have done. 

The GD is the most telling thing, look at how Leeds and Ipswich have charged on and we've meekly surrendered.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That unbeaten run was good, but it doesn't really mean anything. Another new record for us though, the only team to go unbeaten for 5 months and not achieve anything. (that kind of suggests there were too many draws mixed in tbf).

It's not been a bad season by any stretch, but ultimately we've failed on the number 1 objective which was auto promotion. Winning the playoffs is the second route to it, so that will remain open...but we're incapable of keeping clean sheets against any relatively decent side, so we're going to need to outscore everyone in the playoffs by some margin - not sure it's sustainable or doable. We'll see.

The frustration for me this season is that we caught up at Christmas through to the end of Jan - that run brought us right into the mix. We used the window to add PL quality in Brooks to the side, didn't lose anyone (bar Charly) and we looked set to give it a good go to the death. But since February we have absolutely bollocksed it in the worst way I could have ever imagined. I knew we'd lose a game again this season, but we've dropped so many points in the last 8 weeks which has killed our season dead before the run-in had a chance to start. We did all the hard work and then lost the plot. Certainly need to understand WTF happened during February to derail us as badly as we have been.

Jack Stephens 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Jack Stephens 

It's a strange one because individually he doesn't play badly, but I do agree that he has unsettled a structure since he's come back.

We did see the benefits in transition effect with Stephens role today, but ultimately we did let in 3 goals (again) so questions have to be asked. We do concede a lot of goals when he's on the pitch.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a strange one because individually he doesn't play badly, but I do agree that he has unsettled a structure since he's come back.

We did see the benefits in transition effect with Stephens role today, but ultimately we did let in 3 goals (again) so questions have to be asked. We do concede a lot of goals when he's on the pitch.

His positional play is atrocious and he constantly gives the ball away with loose passing. The fact he gets pushed up into midfield is scandalous. He gets in the way, disrupts the rhythm and creates gaps for the opposition to expose.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

Pretty criminal to have conceded 51 goals this season with the squad we've got but that's Russball for you. MK Dons and Swansea were shite defensively under him too. 

The personnel at the back for us has been conceding for fun for quite a few years now. Doesn't matter who the manager is. They consistently have shown themselves incapable of defending their box for years. It really isn't a manager thing.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

But there are still his fan boys 

Yeah. We're miles better on and off the pitch than we were before he came. So he's quite clearly done a good job. But hey, don't let simple points like that get in the way of a good pile on. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

The personnel at the back for us has been conceding for fun for quite a few years now. Doesn't matter who the manager is. They consistently have shown themselves incapable of defending their box for years. It really isn't a manager thing.

THB, Bree, Manning weren't with us last year. Neither was Holgate when he played.

Stephens, Badnarek and KWP i'll give you, but not the others.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Most teams in the league would love to have Bednarek/THB with Downes sitting infront. If it isn't a manager thing then explain why his other teams were shite at keeping the ball out the net too? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

Most teams in the league would love to have Bednarek/THB with Downes sitting infront. If it isn't a manager thing then explain why his other teams were shite at keeping the ball out the net too? 

I wouldn't bother trying to reason with Fabrice. Even though you are 100% correct. 

• Like 3