Saints 4-4 Liverpool - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Amazing what a lack of pressure does to players (aka the shop window) AA had that chance sooo many times during games this season and always fluffs it harmlessly at the keeper or falls over or loses possession. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It looked like handball to me and I was quite close. However, because it wasn’t the goal scorer that handled it accidental comes into play. The referee pointed at his ear when Prowse was talking to him, so I presume it was checked and deemed accidental. 

That would have been left to the referee since it happened some way before the goal and the goal scorer didn’t benefit himself directly from it. I’d like to see more consistency over handball myself.

12 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yep it was KWPs fault that Lyanco was shuffling around on his arse while Liverpool scored their second.....and his fault that Lyanco didnt check Jota's run for their fourth.

Apart from the occasional full blooded tackle, he is utter shite 

Is that the run where KWP just casually let Jota run past him??

• Like 2

Interesting game, bit of a summary of the season in 90 minutes with a twist in the tail - we didn’t lose!! What joy to see us score 4 good goals. I don’t care others think of him, I thought Lyanco was thoroughly entertaining, and given how aggressive he was at times says something that he finished the game without a card, and he got a great assist by doing what only he seems to do when we’ve been under the cosh in our box - launch the ball away upfield if only to buy a few seconds for the defence to reset. 

Although some folk don’t agree with shirt swapping nice to see young Sam Amo-Ameyaw talking Salah into parting with his shirt to go with his on his Mum & Dads living room wall. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Interesting game, bit of a summary of the season in 90 minutes with a twist in the tail - we didn’t lose!! What joy to see us score 4 good goals. I don’t care others think of him, I thought Lyanco was thoroughly entertaining, and given how aggressive he was at times says something that he finished the game without a card, and he got a great assist by doing what only he seems to do when we’ve been under the cosh in our box - launch the ball away upfield if only to buy a few seconds for the defence to reset. 

Although some folk don’t agree with shirt swapping nice to see young Sam Amo-Ameyaw talking Salah into parting with his shirt to go with his on his Mum & Dads living room wall. 

I don't that from a really young guy making his debut.

He showed a couple of nice touches too.

1 hour ago, warsash saint said:

Is that the run where KWP just casually let Jota run past him??

He pressured Salah as he was the nearest defender to the ball. Lyanco is the covering defender and can see Jota making his run and just lets him sail past

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It looked like handball to me and I was quite close. However, because it wasn’t the goal scorer that handled it accidental comes into play. The referee pointed at his ear when Prowse was talking to him, so I presume it was checked and deemed accidental. 

happened right in front of me and wasnt handball.Just one of those occasions that everyone wants to make a big deal about if it leads to goal

• Like 2

A thoroughly entertaining game yesterday afternoon. Dissapointing when went into a 4-2 lead thay we couldn't hang on and get the win. Prowsey, Sulemana, Alcaraz were all outstanding :) Sulemana's second goal was sublime. So pleased for Adam Armstrong to grab a goal too. Hopefully will set him up well for next season. Great to see Tino back too :) Nice to see both Ballard and Amo-Ameyaw (he looks exciting) get run outs. Just hoping we can rebuild in the summer and bounce back strongly :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Sulemana's second goal was sublime

Watching the goal of the season comp on MotD last night, I thought his goal yesterday was easily as good as any on the shortlist. I guess goals in the final gameweek of the season don't get considered? 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Watching the goal of the season comp on MotD last night, I thought his goal yesterday was easily as good as any on the shortlist. I guess goals in the final gameweek of the season don't get considered? 

I thought it was a poor bunch of goals in the shortlist. There were no good team goals, it was mostly long rangers which are good but you see a lot of them.

Sulemana's goal was decent although it benefited from some weird defending from Gomez.

• Like 1

Just now, The Cat said:

I thought it was a poor bunch of goals in the shortlist. There were no good team goals, it was mostly long rangers which are good but you see a lot of them.

Sulemana's goal was decent although it benefited from some weird defending from Gomez.

Also Murphy's goal shouldn't have been on the list because while Isak's run was incredible the cross took a deflection which invalidates the whole thing in my eyes as a purist.

Plus it was scored by Murphy who is a cock.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I rather believe that if that had been a game under normal circumstances Sulemana would have been 'taken out' long before he got anywhere near their goal. Still very enjoyable all the same and great for his confidence. Unfortunately he got a bit too cocky after that and wasted a couple of good opportunities.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

Moura's could have sneaked in too perhaps.

On 29/05/2023 at 00:23, Chez said:

I know you were just joshing, but just for clarity, he's 36, scored 3 goals in 37 Prem games this season and is on about £140k a week. Our total income will be about £50m next year. We ain't spending a seventh of it on him. He has another year left at Leicester. He ain't leaving them for us.

Very true, just joshing. We need someone of that ilk in his prime though, or a reliable Rickie Lambert type. Hope we channel a lot of the incoming transfer fees on that and a decent keeper.

3 hours ago, DT said:

Very true, just joshing. We need someone of that ilk in his prime though, or a reliable Rickie Lambert type. Hope we channel a lot of the incoming transfer fees on that and a decent keeper.

we badly need a striker with their mindset - which has been to have the utmost confidence in their own ability top score goals, any time, any place, no matter what the level. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chez said:

we badly need a striker with their mindset - which has been to have the utmost confidence in their own ability top score goals, any time, any place, no matter what the level. 

I guess us and most other clubs...

Be great if one of the kids could step up to this plate, or even Adam Armstrong in his more natural habitat, but think we need to spend some serious money on proven ability. (OR/ AND) Might we return to Chris Wood now he's out of the picture a bit at Forest? I know, not the answer necessarily (and 31) but were linked before and has the physicality for the Champ?

Edited by DT

11 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I wouldn't be confident Tino is staying. 

Why?

The bloke hasn't played for over a year, bar 20 mins. Who in their right mind is going to pay us any money for him until they know he's back to normal? 

Plus I think it would be incredibly bad taste for him to have made use of our medical facilities for the best part of a year, and then run away as soon as he gets a chance. 

He won't be going anywhere.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Why?

The bloke hasn't played for over a year, bar 20 mins. Who in their right mind is going to pay us any money for him until they know he's back to normal? 

Plus I think it would be incredibly bad taste for him to have made use of our medical facilities for the best part of a year, and then run away as soon as he gets a chance. 

Agree. Cynically any team would want him to go through a series of full games before taking a risk. If he does come back fully ok could see him departing in the January window.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Why?

Why?

We will revisit this in a few months, I truly hope I am wrong. I can't say why I believe this to be the case and have nothing concrete, 

Why?

I don't think him, his agent, or parents would give a shit about us mending him, whilst paying him, if another team waft the right deal under his nose in the next couple of months. 

There are no ethics left in football at this level.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2023 at 17:03, S-Clarke said:

Why?

I seem to recall that Virgil Van Dyke did, not for a year though but over a period of time.