Saints 4-4 Liverpool - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest I dont get this reflection on these players hugging and stuff, these cunts earn over 200k a month this season for a pitiful performance.

They are moving on to new money elsewhere like the bloodsuckers they are, us fans stay here will start again next season.

Could you keep it down please, I'm trying to pick a Premier League club to support next season here... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

A spirited and enjoyable last game but where has that vigour been all season! 

New era ahead. Better to end on some sort of high (apart from the defending) and have something to look forward to next season. 

Also, FFS Saints, can you find a way to stop non Saints fans getting seats. Not an exaggeration to say there were hundreds of people sat down in the itchen chapel corner when we scored the goal that took us 4-2 up. Absolute disgrace and thankfully there was no edge to the game or anything to play for. If you’re going to let so many people buy tickets without some checking system, or getting people to buy multiple tickets for the lower end teams to get a ticket for a big club, be the noddy club you want us to be and have a neutral section so we saints fans don’t have to be surrounded by opposition fans like it’s a fucking rugby game! 

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Better to end on some sort of high (apart from the defending) and have something to look forward to next season

We've had several decent one-off performances this season but they've always been the exception rather than a sign of better things to come in the future. As such, I would be somewhat wary of using today's performance as a barometer for how we might perform next season...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

Odd but decent finish to a shite season. Sulemana's second has to be goal of the season for us right? Great run and finish. 

Depending on who we can hold on to we could do very well next year but I still think there's a lot of players leaving before we'll know even remotely what shape we will be in. Interesting few weeks ahead. Please let's get the outs done in the next 5 weeks and then July we can concentrate on the rebuild.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Odd but decent finish to a shite season. Sulemana's second has to be goal of the season for us right? Great run and finish. 

Depending on who we can hold on to we could do very well next year but I still think there's a lot of players leaving before we'll know even remotely what shape we will be in. Interesting few weeks ahead. Please let's get the outs done in the next 5 weeks and then July we can concentrate on the rebuild.

Think we need to be a bit sharper than that. Our season starts again in 10 weeks. We want/need our business done early as I’m assuming pre-season training will start in 4 or 5 weeks time. We have to hit the ground running.

45 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

A spirited and enjoyable last game but where has that vigour been all season! 

New era ahead. Better to end on some sort of high (apart from the defending) and have something to look forward to next season. 

Also, FFS Saints, can you find a way to stop non Saints fans getting seats. Not an exaggeration to say there were hundreds of people sat down in the itchen chapel corner when we scored the goal that took us 4-2 up. Absolute disgrace and thankfully there was no edge to the game or anything to play for. If you’re going to let so many people buy tickets without some checking system, or getting people to buy multiple tickets for the lower end teams to get a ticket for a big club, be the noddy club you want us to be and have a neutral section so we saints fans don’t have to be surrounded by opposition fans like it’s a fucking rugby game! 

There were also a crap load of people stood up applauding Firminho off, some of which bizarrely were Saints fans.

Stewards did chuck a few Liverpool fans out from near us though so at least they were vaguely doing something about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

People clapping those bunch of cunts after the season we’ve just had. Incredible. 

Yeah I know, and singing songs about Lyanco etc…..bloody hell do you lot not remember the monumental balls up he made at home to Forest in one of the most damaging defeats. Supporting them during the game is one thing but to stay and clap them on their lap of shame, WTF?

• Like 5

This game just reinforces what I have thought for ages. Everybody who has a responsible position in the club, through chief execs, through players and managers should hang their heads in shame. Disgusting. Where have 4 goals been at the winnable games all season ?

Disgraceful.

Maurice.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Brighton fans they are getting JWP. They seem to think they will get him on the cheap as we will be desperate for the money.

For starters we will be one of the richest teams in the EPL if not the richest.

I’m sure we will let him go but it will be for big bucks.

• Like 1

Shit end to a shit season, two teams going through the motions. Like a fucking testimonial, and the players shaking the subs hands and cuddling them was pathetic. They can say goodbye in the fucking dressing room, not on the fucking pitch, it was all just for show. 4 goals when it didn’t matter, you can bet your life Adam Fucking Armstrong would have missed that had it meant anything. To sum it up we even had the noddy Adam, Stewart Armstrong song. I’d sell one of them to stop that pony for a start. And anyone who clapped them at the end should be banned for life. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Maury Dyer said:

This game just reinforces what I have thought for ages. Everybody who has a responsible position in the club, through chief execs, through players and managers should hang their heads in shame. Disgusting. Where have 4 goals been at the winnable games all season ?

Disgraceful.

A game to sum it all up. Piss poor start, rally against the so-called big sides, and piss away a lead in record time. Everything from this season wrapped up in a single game.

I've been accepting of our relegation for months now, but I do feel weirdly despondent today and I didn't think I would feel like that. Maybe it's the finality of it all? And the cheerio to certain players?

All water under the bridge now though, need to look forward to next year positively and get a team to be proud and excited of again. It's been far too long.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

sullemana reminded me of Mane when it started clicking for him today .

sadly i bet Klopp thought the same watch him bid for him

Tbh I think I’d have probably dropped the likes of sulemana and Alcaraz as soon as it became evident we were down … better to try and sneak them off to the championship with us then put them in the shop window …

That was always gonna be a reach with mr genius selles in charge though 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, manji said:

Brighton fans they are getting JWP. They seem to think they will get him on the cheap as we will be desperate for the money.

Not surprised if Dragan has ploughed £400m into the club over the last couple of days......yes?

25 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Tbh I think I’d have probably dropped the likes of sulemana and Alcaraz as soon as it became evident we were down … better to try and sneak them off to the championship with us then put them in the shop window …

That was always gonna be a reach with mr genius selles in charge though 

They've just signed for us, they wont be leaving unless it's on our terms. Besides, up until now KS has done bugger all, I don't think two goals in a dead rubber are going to change much, even against Liverpool.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saintscummer said:

Just leaving ground. Enjoyed that. Don’t know why he belt alcaraz on as he was fooked. 

entertaining though. Thought Lyanco was very good today. 

radical but I’d make him captain next year. Will calm him down but still plays like he cares. 

Very radical. He may have played well but we still conceded 4 today. We can moan about our attack and the chances not taken this season, but our defence has been abysmal, conceding an average of nearly 2 goals per game. 

Positionally hes a disaster at times and he dives in way too much. No amount of chest pumping will make up for that.

Yes it was a spirited performance today but it wont change my mind that hopefully we've seen the last of the likes of Lyanco, McCarthy, Diallo, Djenepo, A Armstrong and those out of contract. Some may be able to 'do a job' in the championship but we really need to start building a squad of players capable of performing consistently at PL level should we return. None of these players to me are good enough

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

They've just signed for us, they wont be leaving unless it's on our terms. Besides, up until now KS has done bugger all, I don't think two goals in a dead rubber are going to change much, even against Liverpool.

Yeah but it’s not so much about what he has done but what he could do ..the guy is absolutely rapid and pretty nice close control too ..

to be honest I’m not too bothered about losing any of our more senior players but it’s the likes of sulemana Alcaraz and edozie etc I really wanna keep think they will absolutely tear up the championship 

Not sure why anyone would want to keep any of our CB's around, especially Lyanco. Bloke is a disaster, no positional sense to start with and an absolutely unpredictable nightmare. You couldn't ever build a consistent team with the likes of him around, worst choice of captain ever as well.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yes he’s a prick. Like that other complete whopper Andrew. Want to be edgy and be the clubs spokesmen on social media, try hard to be celebrity fans. Also do all they can to get themselves noticed like you say. Bet he is ready tonight to record MOTD on his phone to video himself if he gets on there

I live in blissful ignorance of who these fuckers are

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

There were also a crap load of people stood up applauding Firminho off, some of which bizarrely were Saints fans.

Stewards did chuck a few Liverpool fans out from near us though so at least they were vaguely doing something about it.

Yeah very weird.Loads around us stood up as if he is some sort of legend. I will remember him for his stupidly white teeth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure why anyone would want to keep any of our CB's around, especially Lyanco. Bloke is a disaster, no positional sense to start with and an absolutely unpredictable nightmare. You couldn't ever build a consistent team with the likes of him around, worst choice of captain ever as well.

That's a tad harsh, I think he has some good qualities. Imtercepts well, blocks well, tackles,  has pace, and can pass.

You are right though, his positional sense is right off at times. That could be because he's covering for others too enthusiastically, or it really is a flaw.

I'm convinced he would look a lot different with a decent partner next to him.

Personally I'd have Stephens over Lyanco but Bournmouth will have him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dellboysaint said:

Let us hope that was McCarthy’s last game….slow to get down and beaten too easily when it is straight at him. Invisible at corners.

He sets the tone of mediocrity that has become the norm. He has to be moved on.

From my angle it looked like he pulled off a great save near the end.

Kelleher didn't exactly cover himself in glory today either. Really should have saved the second although he did make a good save late on too.

Hopefully we can get rid of McCarthy although that might not be so easy. Wouldn't really want him playing much next season especially if we're passing out from the back.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Edmonton Saint said:

Mccarthy has been worse than Bazunu since he got recalled. Absolute fraud of a goalkeeper. Must have the worse save to shot  % in the entire football league. 

Better not be here next season.

Sets the tone of mediocrity. Cannot make a decent save. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yes it was a spirited performance today but it wont change my mind that hopefully we've seen the last of the likes of Lyanco, McCarthy, Diallo, Djenepo, A Armstrong and those out of contract. Some may be able to 'do a job' in the championship but we really need to start building a squad of players capable of performing consistently at PL level should we return. None of these players to me are good enough

We need players who can do a job in the Championship, because that's where we are now. Getting rid of those players before we get promoted is like putting the cart before the horse. We're unlikely to attract PL level players while we are down there anyway. Get promoted if possible, then worry about replacing them with players who can do it at the PL level.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

take your blinkers off fella!!!  Where the fuck was Walker Peters the whole of that second half???!!!  How many times was Lyanco trying to close down Sallah in the space vacated by KWP?  TBH i lost count!

• Like 4

Decent point. Not sure we’ll stay up though. 
Time to get the big lads in and go back to basics. More youthful tippy tap will get blown away despot Raamussen’s self confessed ‘I unearthed a gem, eventually’ genius. We need a few Jimmy Cases to mix with the home growns. And proven goal scorer. Vardy, anyone? One last season on the old Red Bull?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

We need players who can do a job in the Championship, because that's where we are now. Getting rid of those players before we get promoted is like putting the cart before the horse. We're unlikely to attract PL level players while we are down there anyway. Get promoted if possible, then worry about replacing them with players who can do it at the PL level.

And we'll have players who'll be able to do a job in the championship (not withstanding one of our better players like JWP, Lavia, KWP etc who we may be able to keep) - the likes of Bednarek, Stephens, DCC, Tino, Bree, Perraud, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Edozie, Tella, S Armstrong, Che, Mara can all do very well in the championship. Getting rid of those other players I listed is exactly what we need to do.

Also dont know how you say we cant attact PL level players next season. They dont have to be playing PL currently, but if recruitment is good, theres plenty of players across europe and the championship who would be good enough. Loans will be crucial too as Burnley have proven

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

take your blinkers off fella!!!  Where the fuck was Walker Peters the whole of that second half???!!!  How many times was Lyanco trying to close down Sallah in the space vacated by KWP?  TBH i lost count!

KWP has been really poor this season by his standards, but I just don't understand how anyone can rate Lyanco tbh. I've never seen anything from him that'll make me want to keep him around.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Yep it was KWPs fault that Lyanco was shuffling around on his arse while Liverpool scored their second.....and his fault that Lyanco didnt check Jota's run for their fourth.

Apart from the occasional full blooded tackle, he is utter shite 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Think we need to be a bit sharper than that. Our season starts again in 10 weeks. We want/need our business done early as I’m assuming pre-season training will start in 4 or 5 weeks time. We have to hit the ground running.

While I do agree in a perfect world we'd get the outs done quickly to concentrate on the ins, the factors are that a) most players will now go on holiday for a few weeks, b) the new manager has to come in, identify targets and who he wants to keep and c) we are Southampton football club and we never seem to do things the easy way!

It's plausible that we'll still be seeing players leave after the start of the new season. We just have to be prepared.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DT said:

Vardy, anyone? One last season on the old Red Bull?

I know you were just joshing, but just for clarity, he's 36, scored 3 goals in 37 Prem games this season and is on about £140k a week. Our total income will be about £50m next year. We ain't spending a seventh of it on him. He has another year left at Leicester. He ain't leaving them for us.

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

Bloke near me in  a saints shirt hardly said a word all game but jumped to his feet to clap Firminho off, very odd behavior , looked like a Saints fan but behavior says otherwise  ²

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Fairplay to paul walsh on the stream saying "you cant ask players who cant play out from the back to do it and the goalkeeper shouldnt of passed to lavia as he could see who was open and not."

Bednarek should have put his foot through it; instead, he sold McCarthy short, who then played an 'ill-advised' pass to Lavia, who, being 19 or 20, set up a perfect goal for Liverpool instead of curling it up the right touchline blind.  Shitshow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yep it was KWPs fault that Lyanco was shuffling around on his arse while Liverpool scored their second.....and his fault that Lyanco didnt check Jota's run for their fourth.

Apart from the occasional full blooded tackle, he is utter shite 

Lyanko gives it his all, but he was dire on goals 3 and 4 all in the space of a minute and change.  Covered no one on goal 3, causing Bednarek to move over to cover Salah (?) and leave Gapko...easy tap in.  Goal 4 was inexplicable.  As soon as Salah got the ball, the whole stadium, minus Lyanko, knew it would be played to Jota as soon as he got onside...WTF?

So much brainlessness in one bloated squad.

2 hours ago, dellboysaint said:

Sets the tone of mediocrity. Cannot make a decent save. 

Nonsense.  Aside from maybe should have stopped Firmino's goal with his feet, played well and is a good shot-stopper.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, manji said:

Dragan chucked in twelve billion quid last night.

• Haha 3

Can anyone clarify if it was actually handball in the buildup to Liverpool's fourth goal? It looked that way from my view in the Chapel and as soon as it wasn't given I knew the ball would end up in our net. The highlights on SKY don't show it.

16 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Can anyone clarify if it was actually handball in the buildup to Liverpool's fourth goal? It looked that way from my view in the Chapel and as soon as it wasn't given I knew the ball would end up in our net. The highlights on SKY don't show it.

It looked like handball to me and I was quite close. However, because it wasn’t the goal scorer that handled it accidental comes into play. The referee pointed at his ear when Prowse was talking to him, so I presume it was checked and deemed accidental. 

11 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Can anyone clarify if it was actually handball in the buildup to Liverpool's fourth goal?

Couldn't really see from the Itchen, but both the players and crowd nearby made the most noise in appealing, so it did seem a likely candidate for VAR. On which note, it's a relief we haven't got VAR next season: at least we can start celebrating goals..

It was a microcosm of our season yesterday, giving the ball away, losing a lead, PP defending,  with the addition of extra goals and entertainment. It was far better than the game I was dreading. Sulemanna took his goals well and is the counterattacking threat we've missed; good to have that boost of confidence and PL goals before the end of the season, same with AA. Good to see Livramento, Ballard and the other nipper (I'll look up the spelling later.) come on and we'll be needing them next season.