Happy Micky Fialka 14 year anniversary

Paul Chuckle

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4460537.michael-fialka-billed-on-tv-as-the-prospective-new-southampton-owner/

14 years ago today Micky Fialka was interviewed on Sky Sports News as being the money man behind buying Southampton FC out of administration. His Pinnacle consortium along with Matt Le Tissier were even given exclusivity by the Administrator. 

As the article above shows it soon became apparent after the sky sports interview that Fialka lived with his parents and was on a modest salary.

14 years later do we know how Fialka managed to get Matt Le Tissier on board and get exclusivity to buy the club? 

Does any footage of the sky sports interview exist? 

Do we know what Fialka intentions were?

Has anyone ever interviewed Fialka about his failed attempt to buy Southampton? If not, should they?

?type=og-image

• Like 1

It was all a bit strange that. Tiss doesn’t seem like the type to be easily mislead by an absolute charlatan with nothing of substance to back up his claims, so you wonder how he got involved in all of this.

Overall I think we’re very lucky that the eventual ML takeover wasn’t derailed completely by Pinnacle entering a period of exclusivity. They could very easily have looked at other options or lost interest completely, then who knows where we’d be now.

With the benefit of hindsight and everything working out in the end, I guess this is another of those quirky little footnotes in Southampton’s history. He’ll be remembered along with the Ted Bates statue and Ali Dia as one of those WTF moments we still can’t quite believe really happened.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

To this day I don’t think MLT has come close to admitting that he got duped by an imposter. In his book, which was written a very short time after the Fialka calamity, MLT said something like “our consortium got close but in the end we couldn’t quite get it over the line”. I’ve not seen any sort of mea culpa from him since, just more hinting that it was close to a deal but just couldn’t quite get it done. A thoroughly bizarre episode in the club’s history.

41 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It was all a bit strange that. Tiss doesn’t seem like the type to be easily mislead by an absolute charlatan with nothing of substance to back up his claims, so you wonder how he got involved in all of this.

Overall I think we’re very lucky that the eventual ML takeover wasn’t derailed completely by Pinnacle entering a period of exclusivity. They could very easily have looked at other options or lost interest completely, then who knows where we’d be now.

With the benefit of hindsight and everything working out in the end, I guess this is another of those quirky little footnotes in Southampton’s history. He’ll be remembered along with the Ted Bates statue and Ali Dia as one of those WTF moments we still can’t quite believe really happened.

SISU’s attempted takeover was also a lucky escape. Given the way they completely destroyed Coventry, it’s at least one thing to thank Lowe for. That and the stadium, I guess.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wasn’t there a more local investor involved in this consortium who was seen as the figurehead ?

Thought he and MLT leant credibility to their bid, but it was blown apart once Fialka was exposed. 

Yes Tony Lynam, brother of Des

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/4454189.amp/

?type=responsive-gallery

Edited by Paul Chuckle

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not given recent history :D 

Am I dreaming this? or did Mark Fry grant Pinnacle exclusivity OVER Markus/Nicola? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

To this day I don’t think MLT has come close to admitting that he got duped by an imposter. In his book, which was written a very short time after the Fialka calamity, MLT said something like “our consortium got close but in the end we couldn’t quite get it over the line”. I’ve not seen any sort of mea culpa from him since, just more hinting that it was close to a deal but just couldn’t quite get it done. A thoroughly bizarre episode in the club’s history.

MLT is still in denial about PINACLE. I have seen all the paperwork, spoken to some of the key players and it was all bogus. All of them were con men who lied to Leon and fleeced him to the tune of half a million. No wonder Liebherr and Cortese were so pissed off with Le Tissier. His insistence his consortium was genuine came really near to us losing Liebherr. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Yes. Someone else who should shoulder blame. His due diligence was negligent. 

Cheers for confirming, FF.

When/why did Leon have to pay the cash to keep us going?  Was that because Pinnacle didn't have the cash after their exclusivity?

12 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

MLT is still in denial about PINACLE. I have seen all the paperwork, spoken to some of the key players and it was all bogus. All of them were con men who lied to Leon and fleeced him to the tune of half a million. No wonder Liebherr and Cortese were so pissed off with Le Tissier. His insistence his consortium was genuine came really near to us losing Liebherr. 

You should publicise some of the paper work. Would make interesting reading 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Badger said:

I think Clinton’s have missed an opportunity with the anniversaries that have been trotted out on here recently.

Happy Mickey Fialka Day, On your Pelligrino Anniversary etc 

Yes to both of those, also the original Ted Bates Statue unveiling Day - 16th March 2007. 

"Ian has done a tremendous job. It's very rare I'm lost for words but I saw the statue last week and it's awesome - a tremendous tribute to a great man. Fans have waited a long time for this and it's fantastic."

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The whole incident deserves more scrutiny. Sure it worked out fine for us in the end, but this was a major near miss. MLT and Pinnacle nearly cost us big-time and on the whole, we've almost completely glossed over this debacle due to his rightful status as a legend on the pitch. If there's one thing I learned from this, we need to take MLT with a pinch of salt. Thankfully he's not had a lot to say since.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Yes to both of those, also the original Ted Bates Statue unveiling Day - 16th March 2007. 

"Ian has done a tremendous job. It's very rare I'm lost for words but I saw the statue last week and it's awesome - a tremendous tribute to a great man. Fans have waited a long time for this and it's fantastic."

Beautiful words. Fitting tribute to such a masterpiece.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Its all of these and more,you have to wonder how we ever manage to achieve those little bits of magic that all fans need just now and again.😅

8 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

You should publicise some of the paper work. Would make interesting reading 

I did on this forum. And MLT went mental at me. I was also threatened with the police by the Irish fellow (name escapes me) who was fronting up the consortium. Leon Crouch also went mad at me and then asked for my help to try and recoup his money. I still have all the paperwork.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I did on this forum. And MLT went mental at me. I was also threatened with the police by the Irish fellow (name escapes me) who was fronting up the consortium. Leon Crouch also went mad at me and then asked for my help to try and recoup his money. I still have all the paperwork.  

Tony Lynam?

On 25/06/2023 at 10:21, Lighthouse said:

That is the MLT who now makes his living talking about conspiracy theories and flogging CBD Gummie Bears on-line, yes? 

Still beggars belief that that guy from  Begbie Traynor saw the Mickey ‘Fiasco’ consortium not only as genuine, but the best offer😳. It was literally his job to assess the authenticity of each bitter. Incredible that we might have lost the Liebherr bid due to his incompetence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SW11_Saint said:

Still beggars belief that that guy from  Begbie Traynor saw the Mickey ‘Fiasco’ consortium not only as genuine, but the best offer😳. It was literally his job to assess the authenticity of each bitter. Incredible that we might have lost the Liebherr bid due to his incompetence. 

He thought they were genuine as they had provided 500k conned from Leon Crouch.

4 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

My recollection/understanding at the time was that anybody who could stump up the cash for the period of exclusivity was allowed to do so, they then had to prove their credentials to take it further. With regards to that, BT did nothing wrong, they just applied the rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

My recollection/understanding at the time was that anybody who could stump up the cash for the period of exclusivity was allowed to do so, they then had to prove their credentials to take it further. With regards to that, BT did nothing wrong, they just applied the rules. 

Possibly right. Though, like our board interviewing Nathan Jones, sometimes your instincts - when you sit across a desk from someone - should tell you all you need to know…

I try not to pay too much attention to what gets shouted on Twitter, but it's been only a few days since the anniversary date of this episode, and MLT is writing about a secret communist takeover.

I'm just a bit irritated by the irony that the only takeover that he's ever been involved with turned out to be an actual scam. If people knew about our recent history before Markus Liebherr swooped in, they might be a little more critical of what he comes out with nowadays.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 14:33, SW11_Saint said:

Possibly right. Though, like our board interviewing Nathan Jones, sometimes your instincts - when you sit across a desk from someone - should tell you all you need to know…

Quite often people are good at interviews but not the actual job