Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

25 minutes ago, JRM said:

Nice one, more coaches, more tickets , great following. Lower tier on sale now 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/sheffield-wednesday-vs-southampton-ticket-information

Looks like they’ve given us less than 500 seats in the lower tier so will look a bit naff on TV. Even though, like the top tier, the capacity has been cut for safety reasons I think they usually let around 1500 in the lower, seems strange if they only allowing us a third if so, unless they’re still hoping to sell some to home fans?

10 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Looks like they’ve given us less than 500 seats in the lower tier so will look a bit naff on TV. Even though, like the top tier, the capacity has been cut for safety reasons I think they usually let around 1500 in the lower, seems strange if they only allowing us a third if so, unless they’re still hoping to sell some to home fans?

Yeah lower tier capacity capped at 1300, they love faffing about at the ticket office maybe they'll put more on sale if we sell those. At least on general sale now so any Northern based fans can get along. 

Any suggestions for cheap places to stay? Now thinking of getting a ticket, giving my EV its first long trip and the following day pootle off to visit friends in Yorkshire.

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Be aware that there are no trams  it’s bus or taxi from town 

How big a problem is this? Haven't really looked at the maps yet.

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You have seen us in competitive games over the last few years?

Yep and you are probably number 1 on the meltdown list.

Until the transfer window is shut we don’t know what our squad this year will be so prepared to give us time unlike you it seems.
Last season I saw 2 home wins improving on that is good for me. Saints winning is all that matters not the division for me.

3 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Better be quick, there was only 9 tickets left yesterday but we may possibly get another batch.

Thanks. Just booked, there looked to be a couple of dozen left. Only one post left for me on here today, so any local knowledge I should know guys? Decent pubs, will my Hampshire bus pass work, cheap hotels, anything else?!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Any suggestions for cheap places to stay? Now thinking of getting a ticket, giving my EV its first long trip and the following day pootle off to visit friends in Yorkshire.

I remember going there before the tramlink was built and there used to be tons of buses lined up after the game taking people back into the city. You'd hope they'd arrange something similar if trams out of service that weekend. 

Loads of good pubs in central Sheffield, not been up by the ground for years probably changed a bit around there. 

22 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Thanks. Just booked, there looked to be a couple of dozen left. Only one post left for me on here today, so any local knowledge I should know guys? Decent pubs, will my Hampshire bus pass work, cheap hotels, anything else?!

Nice one, I only counted 9 left when I was on last night - and believe the ‘oldies’ bus pass is valid all over the country. That would make one long away trip if you used it all the way to get there! Cheap though 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Pretty sure we have a friendly poster on here from up yorkshire way. I'm sure his hospitality will extend to fellow like minded saints fans.

@Turkish - What are you saying? Any room spare for a like minded, beer loving scummers? 

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Pretty sure we have a friendly poster on here from up yorkshire way. I'm sure his hospitality will extend to fellow like minded saints fans.

@Turkish - What are you saying? Any room spare for a like minded, beer loving scummers? 

@suewhistle is more than welcome to stay at my place, i'd love to have her over and would even drive her back and take her out for the day, a couple of pubs where i live she'd love we can go to, i'd even buy her drinks all night. Too bad she has me on ignore so wont see this.

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

@suewhistle is more than welcome to stay at my place, i'd love to have her over and would even drive her back and take her out for the day, a couple of pubs where i live she'd love we can go to, i'd even buy her drinks all night. Too bad she has me on ignore so wont see this.

Isn’t that how Peter Sutcliffe started?

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Not been to Hillsborough for years but anyone know what the parking situation is like around the ground? - past experience i have parked fairly close but am happy with a 20 min walk away this time.

Any help greatly received

When I last went I parked on the street about 20 mins walk away. That was in League 1 though, Adkins first win as I recall, so crowds probably a bit smaller than they’ll be next Friday.

18 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Not been to Hillsborough for years but anyone know what the parking situation is like around the ground? - past experience i have parked fairly close but am happy with a 20 min walk away this time.

Any help greatly received

Back in 2006 I parked on a grass verge essentially outside of the bridge to the main offices, on Catch bar lane. Did arrive quite early though.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

To be fair, that’s a lovely sentiment on a site where cynicism has become an art form. Reaching out to a fellow Saints fan in unfamiliar surroundings is old school, genuine camaraderie and support. Let us know how you get on 👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

To be fair, that’s a lovely sentiment on a site where cynicism has become an art form. Reaching out to a fellow Saints fan in unfamiliar surroundings is old school, genuine camaraderie and support. Let us know how you get on 👏

Got a couple of neighbours who she would instantly get on with too. She'd love a weekend at Turkish Towers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Better be quick, there was only 9 tickets left yesterday but we may possibly get another batch.

Good user name.

We could certainly do with the spirit of the Alehouse team on the pitch nowadays. 

2 hours ago, suewhistle said:

I'm sorted for accommodation, so now it's just pub recommendations I need. Then off to the Dales on Saturday to make a weekend of it with a friend, I'll wave at Harrogate as I go past so somebody needn't mix any cement!:-)

Save yourself the journey and go to the Peak District instead. 

Recommended pubs (not sure about matchday rules), roughly from the station towards Hillsborough, these are some of the bigger pubs that come to mind that might be able to serve and seat a few fans:
Sheffield Tap (in the Station)
Shakespears
Gardeners Rest

All old boozers rather than sports pubs, so depends what you're after, they certainly won't be able to accommodate 3,000 away fans. The last couple are all around Kelham Island, about 30 mins walk to Hillsborough, lots of other places to drink and eat round there as well. The area's ex industrial, now gentrified - and is a mix of old boozers, the odd bit bit of industry, flats and breweries, tap rooms, etc. https://cutleryworks.co.uk/ foodhall handy for a quick(ish) dinner.

Just got a refund on the tickets we'd got in the home end and got some in the away end. Super quick refund from their ticket office.

Edited by st alex
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yep and you are probably number 1 on the meltdown list.

Until the transfer window is shut we don’t know what our squad this year will be so prepared to give us time unlike you it seems.
Last season I saw 2 home wins improving on that is good for me. Saints winning is all that matters not the division for me.

I am commenting on this game, which is game 1.  The transfer window closes after about Game 4

5 hours ago, suewhistle said:

I'm sorted for accommodation, so now it's just pub recommendations I need. Then off to the Dales on Saturday to make a weekend of it with a friend, I'll wave at Harrogate as I go past so somebody needn't mix any cement!:-)

great news! I knew you'd be a great host @Turkish

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

That is so lame and backtracking but carry on I’ll give them a chance you have your meltdown after one game

how am I backtracking? I just said, IMO, we will get our arses handed to us at Sheff Weds. I could easily be wrong, and so what?

How is that backtracking on anything?

This is just a message board for opinions.  Focus on playing the post and not the poster. any 'meltdown' has nothing to do with my post in predicting defeat in our first game. 

You think we will win, I do not. I have not commented on any mythical wider views you may or may not have though.

Edited by AlexLaw76

17 hours ago, Badger said:

Good user name.

We could certainly do with the spirit of the Alehouse team on the pitch nowadays. 

Shankly had just bestowed that nickname on us when I first got into it, my uncle used to drink with some of them (even a night before a game!) and that's what he always called them. It made a lasting impression on a young nipper.

Been to Sheffield many times over the 5+ decades I've been going, both Wednesday and United (I wasn't there that day but some may have heard the story about Coombsey's Commandos in the 70s at Brammall Lane!). I've tried to find footage of when we went to Hillsborough in the FA Cup in 1984, live on the BBC but an estimated 10,000 made the trip. We had the entire Leppings Lane end, something like 4 or 5,000 in the seats in the upper tier and even more rammed on the (infamous) terracing on the lower. Only a brief grainy video but the game itself was fairly dour - replay was better.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

how am I backtracking? I just said, IMO, we will get our arses handed to us at Sheff Weds. I could easily be wrong, and so what?

How is that backtracking on anything?

This is just a message board for opinions.  Focus on playing the post and not the poster. any 'meltdown' has nothing to do with my post in predicting defeat in our first game. 

You think we will win, I do not. I have not commented on any mythical wider views you may or may not have though.

In that case why are you so quick to slag other posters off for their opinions? You're one of the worst for the "people on here told us" type posts. 

So what if they are wrong eh? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

In that case why are you so quick to slag other posters off for their opinions? You're one of the worst for the "people on here told us" type posts. 

So what if they are wrong eh? 

Wmnit sure what that has got to do with me thinking we will lose on Fri...

I barely slag anyone off on this board these days...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Shankly had just bestowed that nickname on us when I first got into it, my uncle used to drink with some of them (even a night before a game!) and that's what he always called them. It made a lasting impression on a young nipper.

Been to Sheffield many times over the 5+ decades I've been going, both Wednesday and United (I wasn't there that day but some may have heard the story about Coombsey's Commandos in the 70s at Brammall Lane!). I've tried to find footage of when we went to Hillsborough in the FA Cup in 1984, live on the BBC but an estimated 10,000 made the trip. We had the entire Leppings Lane end, something like 4 or 5,000 in the seats in the upper tier and even more rammed on the (infamous) terracing on the lower. Only a brief grainy video but the game itself was fairly dour - replay was better.

Was at that game, the only real memory from it was a guy in front of me getting arrested for throwing a bloody great fish on the pitch 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Was at that game, the only real memory from it was a guy in front of me getting arrested for throwing a bloody great fish on the pitch 😂

Yeah, not far from where we we stood in the bottom corner, the only space on the terrace that you could move.

did every round that year, all away, Forest, skates, Blackburn (Friday night) and Sheff W. Good days out.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Yeah, not far from where we we stood in the bottom corner, the only space on the terrace that you could move.

did every round that year, all away, Forest, skates, Blackburn (Friday night) and Sheff W. Good days out.

The lengthy row of Saints coaches going up the hill away from the ground seemed to go for miles, it was an incredible turn out for a game on terrestrial TV (ITV) from memory, on a Sunday

we took around 3,000 to Blackburn in the previous round which was on BBC on a Friday night, impressive support.

Good to see our initial away support in Championship is holding up well, with near on 3K going to Reading, approaching 3k sold so far for Sheff Weds, 1.6K so far Gillingham and our allocation of 1.7k already sold out for Plymouth 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Great video that, i remember that game as i'd only just started getting into football but there was a lot of excitement that we were on our way to Wembley again. we took 10k i believe.  What a terrible miss from Worthington, imagine if Che Adams missed that these days 🤣 Anyway it mattered not, we won the reply 5-1 at the Dell and in typical Saints fashion got the hardest draw in the next round we could have got and ended in heroic failure.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sheffield Weds vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic