Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

29 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

First match I’ve seen in person this season - and most likely will be the last.

That team selection after the Leicester match said it all. Poor tactics. Poor decisions. Absolutely fucking boring football.

Ive never known a team have an opportunity to counter, stop, wait and then pass the ball backwards.

Manning and KWP kept pushing inside to CDM roles.

Charles - once again has proved he isn’t a defender.

Smallbone was crap, not a forward pass all night.

I have no idea what that midfield was, or what formation it was meant to be. How Stu and Alcaraz didn’t start that game I’ve no idea.

Sulemana didn’t look interested, but then if he’s being told not to run with the ball then I’m not surprised.

Poor team and decisions, we won’t go up with RM at the club. His interview further pissed me off - palming it all off on the scars of last season.

It was dire wasn’t it. So fucking slow, so many backwards passes and so little movement

Russell Martin, your football is shit

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The space we gave Leicester in the middle of the park was unbelievable, to go and do exactly the same thing a few days later is fucking criminal. It strikes me as arrogance in the extreme. A worse a set up than Jones or Selles ever delivered, Hughes & Pelegríno set us up miles better that & a it’s million miles away from what Ralph or Claude did tactically. It was probably the most incompetent tactical performance that I’ve seen from a manger in over 45 years of supporting Saints. How anyone can watch us against Leicester & then come to the conclusion that playing Joe Aribo in the centre of the park will address the problem.

He’s been smoking his own dope, putting his own ego above the needs of the club, and it looks like it’s only heading one way. Im not a great fan of this particular brand of football when it works, when it doesn’t it’s fucking horrendous. 

A midfield duo of will smallbone and Joe Aribo (who with Adam Armstrong) ahead of them is fucking hilarious.

more so when we have Shea Charles, Stu Armstrong and Charlie Alcaraz…. Who may not be world beaters but better than them 3

• Like 1

My first game of the season and went with an Ipswich fan.  My thoughts, make THB captain, he was the only one who looked like he was trying to organise anything.  Play Charles in midfield, where he is meant to be.  Try to play forward and get behind teams, we didn’t manage that once all night.  Put some fucking tackles in… nothing I hate more than watching average teams take the piss out of us without actually having to do anything.

My mates thoughts, he never felt nervous once that we were going to get back into it.  Heads dropped as soon as the goal went in.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dman said:

This is the biggest thing for me. He's not a long term solution, his record is patchy, at best, in the championship - there is no way this gungho style will last in the PL. It'll be a complete shitshow. 

I’m not sure how we/ he’d get on in the Prem is something we need to worry about too much at the moment, to be honest. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

Just now, badgerx16 said:

How ?

We have forgotten how to score and gift the softest of soft goals to the opposition - they don't even have to try, we just pass it to them on the edge of our penalty area.

The Ipswich goal came from their first shot on target, right?

how does this seemingly keep happening?

13 minutes ago, Bit of a plonker said:

My first game of the season and went with an Ipswich fan.  My thoughts, make THB captain, he was the only one who looked like he was trying to organise anything.  Play Charles in midfield, where he is meant to be.  Try to play forward and get behind teams, we didn’t manage that once all night.  Put some fucking tackles in… nothing I hate more than watching average teams take the piss out of us without actually having to do anything.

My mates thoughts, he never felt nervous once that we were going to get back into it.  Heads dropped as soon as the goal went in.

This was literally and plainly visible on the TV.  

8 hours ago, saintant said:

How are you feeling?

A bit fed up, but not really surprised. I predicted that we'd win the early games against some poor teams when we still had the Prem quality like JWP and then when we lost them, the side would look lost for the next month and lose games. 

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

This was literally and plainly visible on the TV.  

Do you blame them though? It was obvious to everyone on (other than Martin) that picking that midfield would end up biting us on the backside. 

If we can all see it, the players certainly will be able to as well

• Like 3

Another mistake at the back costing us a goal. “Be brave” fuck off! Hanging on to the ball too long, too many pointless passes at the back, and being hit on the counter are all the result of Martin’s “Be brave” tactics. The football is boring to watch. When we do get over the half way line there is no-one who can finish which results in a counter attack where our defenders are nowhere to be seen.

Ankersen is a charlatan that got lucky once with Thomas Frank. Martin is clueless and out of his depth.

We are in trouble.. again!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

Same as Friday night really ...Ipswich not as clinical as leicester otherwise we would have lost by more .

Yes, said that to my boy at the game, Leicester had better players, more guile, quality and ruthlessness on the counter.  Thing is both gifted three soft points from the blancmange fortress that is St Mary’s in the Championship!  There are few teams like Leicester but a lot of sides like Ipswich in this league…

25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I did notice THB getting very frustrated at the usual lack of options ahead of him when he had the ball

This! A young centre back clearly gesturing and imploring his team mates to find space and give him an option. That one moment summed up everything that is wrong with the way this football team is being coached. Considering RM's vanity project is meant to involve possession based football the fact that he doesn't seem to understand the basic concept of pass and move is frankly staggering. A football pitch is a huge area and 10 outfield players can't possibly cover it all - there will always be spaces to run into yet we have players who would rather hide and lurk in areas where they cannot receive the ball, the manager should be dealing with that. Watch Brighton who are as smooth and well-oiled a machine as you will see. Every player knows his role, his position, where to run which means they all know almost instinctively where a team mate will be at any given time. Compare that with our way of playing - it's all off the cuff, make it up as you go along without shape, cohesion or purpose. There are no partnerships, no patterns of good play and no signs that we are heading in the right direction but just need fine tuning -we are going backwards literally. Gone are the days when we'd lose the ball then hunt in packs to get it back as soon as possible. I have no faith that RM and his coaches can make this right so we're stuck with watching what we have seen in the past games. Boring football and many defeats. The fans deserve better but SR have proved themselves incapable of running things or making smart appointments/decisions.

• Like 7

Just now, hypochondriac said:

If anything I'd like to see us be less brave. Knowing when to get rid and hit it long is just as important as pretty passing and possession. 

In fairness, first 15 or so mins we actually did exactly that. 

We need to find a happy medium though - I've no issue with us playing out from the back, if its coached well and we have proper CM's and know our passing patterns. 

We're just all over the place atm. 

The biggest problem is the "inverted" full backs. It's taking away their strength of attacking down the line and it also seems to make Martin think we don't need to play a defensive midfielder because we have full backs covering - Its causing us no ends of problems and we have to bin it off - ASAP. 

• Like 3

Slept on it again before posting and it’s still too depressing.

Im going to try and balance the rest with some positives - the performance generally was better; first half until the goal we controlled and that was despite playing with ten men (I refer to Aribo). Second half after we moved Charles into midfield was an improvement in intensity and intent. Bazunu played well again. KWP played better when playing as an attacking full back. Shea played well in midfield. I think that’s it.

Negatives? 
Leadership - like last season we have none. After Sheas mistake the only person offering him a supporting pat was THB - a kid. Where was KWP, Aribo, Fraser, Adams, Manning or captain ArmA? We have so few leaders and characters which is mostly on the recruiting but we do have Jack (injured) and Jan (not selected) Why wasn’t he playing? That is on Martin. 
Character - as above, mentally weak, allowing a goal to knock us so heavily. We’d controlled until then and then went to pieces and we’re lucky not to concede more. 
“Bravery” part 1. The defensive spine of gk, cbs and dm have an average age of 12. You, Russell, are not being brave by hanging kids out to dry - you are damaging them. Your tactics and demands on how they play are placing them under enormous (and unnecessary) pressure and they’re visibly wilting. See how much better THB was alongside some experience? How much better Shea was with the added freedom in midfield?

Bravery part 2 - Our football isn’t brave - we play all our football in front of our own goal, miles from theirs. If it works it’s too far away to penetrate, if it doesn’t the opposition are straight on top of our goal. We controlled most of that game and a fair score line on chances would have been 3-0 to them. It’s not brave football, it’s f4cking thick.

Part of football is making life difficult for the opposition- we are completely the opposite. Turn up to St Mary’s and be vaguely organised and just wait to be gifted your handful of chances. Fans are weak, opponents are weak, you’ll barely break a sweat.

Best Players - play them, and play them in their best positions. KWP - best attacking right back in the league. Sh1t midfielder. 4 exciting wingers in the squad. We don’t send it wide and ask them to attack their man. Defenders who want to defend (see Jan enjoying it v Charles hating it). Midfielders who want to dominate (see Charles loving it, especially that massive tackle v Aribo being a statue and last man to arrive both in defence and attack- some feat!). At one point in the first half Charles and Smallbone had to swap for 10 seconds but Shea made it last another 30 seconds as he was just itching to get involved properly.

Stu, Charlie or Aribo? We all knew when the team sheet was announced - no one would pick Aribo with that choice. Literally no one. God knows what Stu and Charlie were thinking sat watching the statue for 45 minutes. And he’s wasn’t even removed at half time???

So apart from the wrong tactics, playing our football on the wrong part of the pitch, playing either the wrong players or the right players in the wrong positions, having no character, no leadership, no plan to play to our squad strength (wingers) and putting all the pressure of your “brave” tactics on a bunch of kids while letting the adults amble about up top … apart from that it was a good showing. 
And the fans should be more supportive. 
Hmm

We’ve had enough upheaval for me to call for more, but someone needs to take responsibility for telling Martin a few home truths pretty quickly. The squad has enough about it to be pushing for at least play-offs. Yes it lacks a goal scorer (as I’ve been vocal about for 2.5 years) but that’s probably even more reason to not play a system that gifts the opposition goals. 
Currently we are miles off play offs and with our fragile mentality it could get even worse!

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Little veiled dig about the home crowd again, really think it would do us good to start training at the ground once a week and get used to the place. Strachan did it back in the day to help the team settle in

Well the home fans can't devolve themselves of all responsibility, but considering how bad it has been in the last few years, it's hardly surprising. It will change with a couple of wins.

Obviously there is an issue playing at St Mary's..BPSaints's suggestion has merit. Get use to the place , open the doors for fans to watch some of it.

However we can all see the solution. This squad has talent, so start managing to utilise it properly.

Stop the complicated nonsense, give players the freedom to run at the opposition.

Just imagine Sulemana, Edozie, S Armstrong, and Alcaraz relentlessly charging at the opposition. They'll shit their pants.

That can only happen if they have security behind them, so set the team up that way.

Twice yesterday AA ran past a static Aribo to tackle an Ipswich player. That's the sort of commitment we need from everyone.

Bazuna has his critics but his distribution is excellent. So use it, when he has the ball charge forward quickly. Take the bloody initiative.

So many on here have said how ghastly it is supporting Saints atm. Totally agree with that, matchday has ceased to be enjoyable, just an endurance built on the hope that something decent will happen eventually.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The aggregate of the last three games is 10-1...

When you just stop and think about that stat alone, thats an absolute disgrace.
A team that has just come down from 11 seasons in the Premier League... to concede 10 goals to 1 scored... in just 3 games... with 2 of those matches at home... with 1 against a team that was 2 divisions below us a couple of months ago.
Something needs to change drastically and fast, or we will be cast adrift from even the playoffs, we dont look anywhere near good enough. Even our 4 previous unbeaten games we weren't convincing.

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Well the home fans can't devolve themselves of all responsibility, but considering how bad it has been in the last few years, it's hardly surprising. It will change with a couple of wins.

Obviously there is an issue playing at St Mary's..BPSaints's suggestion has merit. Get use to the place , open the doors for fans to watch some of it.

However we can all see the solution. This squad has talent, so start managing to utilise it properly.

Stop the complicated nonsense, give players the freedom to run at the opposition.

Just imagine Sulemana, Edozie, S Armstrong, and Alcaraz relentlessly charging at the opposition. They'll shit their pants.

That can only happen if they have security behind them, so set the team up that way.

Twice yesterday AA ran past a static Aribo to tackle an Ipswich player. That's the sort of commitment we need from everyone.

Bazuna has his critics but his distribution is excellent. So use it, when he has the ball charge forward quickly. Take the bloody initiative.

So many on here have said how ghastly it is supporting Saints atm. Totally agree with that, matchday has ceased to be enjoyable, just an endurance built on the hope that something decent will happen eventually.

Fucking ridiculous team selection and tactics cause the fans to turn like that. Up until the Leicester  game, the atmosphere has been in the main very positive in other home games. 

Even after conceding 4 against Norwich. 

Martin needs to take some responsibility. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

...We’ve had enough upheaval for me to call for more, but someone needs to take responsibility for telling Martin a few home truths pretty quickly. The squad has enough about it to be pushing for at least play-offs.

What a great post and spot on. All I can think is that they are trying to out Aribo in the shop window. There can be no other reason!

8 minutes ago, St Louis said:

When you just stop and think about that stat alone, thats an absolute disgrace.
A team that has just come down from 11 seasons in the Premier League... to concede 10 goals to 1 scored... in just 3 games... with 2 of those matches at home... with 1 against a team that was 2 divisions below us a couple of months ago.
Something needs to change drastically and fast, or we will be cast adrift from even the playoffs, we dont look anywhere near good enough. Even our 4 previous unbeaten games we weren't convincing.

Which is why it's absolutely ridiculous to be having pops at the fans for this situation. It's actually unbelievable what we as a fan base have had to endure the last few years and this is the cherry on the cake. Losing in that manner and by that margin is frankly obscene. 

• Like 2

Ipswich weren’t great just well organised and clearly been playing as a TEAM for a while, helped by a bit of luck and an awful referee as per usual- how can someone commit 4 fouls and not even get admonished?? 
Cause for optimism with the second half and three stronger character to come back in from injury keep the faith Saturday could well be a turning point 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Which is why it's absolutely ridiculous to be having pops at the fans for this situation. It's actually unbelievable what we as a fan base have had to endure the last few years and this is the cherry on the cake. Losing in that manner and by that margin is frankly obscene. 

I think the club hugely underestimate how detached a lot of fans feel from the club / team now. A mate of mine, season ticket holder, saw the line up last night and just decided to go home instead of the game. Bit extreme but the club should be worried behaviour like that will spread as fans have had enough. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dman said:

Fucking ridiculous team selection and tactics cause the fans to turn like that. Up until the Leicester  game, the atmosphere has been in the main very positive in other home games. 

Even after conceding 4 against Norwich. 

Martin needs to take some responsibility. 

Fans have been brilliant really, increased season ticket sales, turned out in huge numbers away , really got behind them at the start of the season but can see with their own eyes the way this team is going, just not good enough from Sports Republic and the manager. 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Zorba said:

Another mistake at the back costing us a goal. “Be brave” fuck off! Hanging on to the ball too long, too many pointless passes at the back, and being hit on the counter are all the result of Martin’s “Be brave” tactics. The football is boring to watch. When we do get over the half way line there is no-one who can finish which results in a counter attack where our defenders are nowhere to be seen.

Ankersen is a charlatan that got lucky once with Thomas Frank. Martin is clueless and out of his depth.

We are in trouble.. again!

Ankersen wasn't the brains behind Brentford it was the other guy whose name escapes me. He's still there but Ankersen left - no surprise there.

• Like 2

It was blatantly obvious from Friday night that Charles is not a CB (not a good one at any rate). If I ever see him starting there again with a fit CB sat on the bench, then Martin's completely lost my support.

I reckon the majority of fans could get on board with all the keep-ball and slow build up, even if it led to regular mistakes.... as long as, it actually led to some end product for us. I'm more than happy to ship a few stupid goals if it meant we were much more capable of scoring more than the opposition. That simply isn't the case the last few games.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Wasn't there a moment in the first half when Edoize was running forward with the ball, and then just suddenly stopped on the halfway line, before passing it backwards? Watching it, I thought the whistle had gone, but it hadn't. He had acres to run into, yet passed backwards like he suddenly remembered he wasn't allowed to carry the ball into the opposing half. Totally bizarre.

I was totally shocked by that. Admittedly there was no-one ahead of him (and no-one seemingly busting a gut to get up there)) but he was in so much space had he continued his run the minimum ground he could have made would have been another 25yards before anyone could attempt to challenge him. As you said, totally bizarre incicident to stop and turn and pass backwards.  Was it any coincidence he done it in front of the dugouts?  Did he get a "where the fuck do you think you're going" type shout from the bench? Or was the decision to ignore his natual instincts - and 99% of manager's preferred tactic - and safely increase  the passing stats by 1 more actually a "brave" decision?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Absolutely this. I'm afraid I'm not having this - not one jot of it. Like patriotism, blaming fans is the last act of a coward. RM knows he has been found out, and that this is not working. As supporters we have put up with an unrelenting and unmitigated diet of sh1t over the last three seasons, and the VERY LEAST we should expect of our new amazing manager is to set us up solidly with players whose individual transfer fees are higher than the value of Ipswich's team - and make us COMPETITIVE. It's fuc4ing scandalous that the manager is having a pop at the fans. I travel 240-miles round trip for each home game, have yet again bought a season ticket (sanity check incoming) and for him to even CONSIDER having a go at us is lamentable and pathetic in equal measure. Sort it out, Martin, or get gone. You've nowhere near enough credit in the bank to be taking swipes at loyal supporters who part with their hard earned every week.

Edited by InvictaSaint
  • Like 21

As usual the opposition's chances ALL came from us stuffing about at the back.  Man City do it, so we can do it??  Not really cos their squad cost £billion more than ours.  We have to stop this, EVERY game we give away goals by passing or dribbling in our own area, or those ridiculous goal kick routines.    

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I was totally shocked by that. Admittedly there was no-one ahead of him (and no-one seemingly busting a gut to get up there)) but he was in so much space had he continued his run the minimum ground he could have made would have been another 25yards before anyone could attempt to challenge him. As you said, totally bizarre incicident to stop and turn and pass backwards.  Was it any coincidence he done it in front of the dugouts?  Did he get a "where the fuck do you think you're going" type shout from the bench? Or was the decision to ignore his natual instincts - and 99% of manager's preferred tactic - and safely increase  the passing stats by 1 more actually a "brave" decision?

Saw Martin on the touchline appaulading our ball retention and pointless five yard passes between the centre backs and midfield on countless occasions. I cannot believe that Edoize would have done that unless he was instructed to.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Slept on it again before posting and it’s still too depressing.

Im going to try and balance the rest with some positives - the performance generally was better; first half until the goal we controlled and that was despite playing with ten men (I refer to Aribo). Second half after we moved Charles into midfield was an improvement in intensity and intent. Bazunu played well again. KWP played better when playing as an attacking full back. Shea played well in midfield. I think that’s it.

Negatives? 
Leadership - like last season we have none. After Sheas mistake the only person offering him a supporting pat was THB - a kid. Where was KWP, Aribo, Fraser, Adams, Manning or captain ArmA? We have so few leaders and characters which is mostly on the recruiting but we do have Jack (injured) and Jan (not selected) Why wasn’t he playing? That is on Martin. 
Character - as above, mentally weak, allowing a goal to knock us so heavily. We’d controlled until then and then went to pieces and we’re lucky not to concede more. 
“Bravery” part 1. The defensive spine of gk, cbs and dm have an average age of 12. You, Russell, are not being brave by hanging kids out to dry - you are damaging them. Your tactics and demands on how they play are placing them under enormous (and unnecessary) pressure and they’re visibly wilting. See how much better THB was alongside some experience? How much better Shea was with the added freedom in midfield?

Bravery part 2 - Our football isn’t brave - we play all our football in front of our own goal, miles from theirs. If it works it’s too far away to penetrate, if it doesn’t the opposition are straight on top of our goal. We controlled most of that game and a fair score line on chances would have been 3-0 to them. It’s not brave football, it’s f4cking thick.

Part of football is making life difficult for the opposition- we are completely the opposite. Turn up to St Mary’s and be vaguely organised and just wait to be gifted your handful of chances. Fans are weak, opponents are weak, you’ll barely break a sweat.

Best Players - play them, and play them in their best positions. KWP - best attacking right back in the league. Sh1t midfielder. 4 exciting wingers in the squad. We don’t send it wide and ask them to attack their man. Defenders who want to defend (see Jan enjoying it v Charles hating it). Midfielders who want to dominate (see Charles loving it, especially that massive tackle v Aribo being a statue and last man to arrive both in defence and attack- some feat!). At one point in the first half Charles and Smallbone had to swap for 10 seconds but Shea made it last another 30 seconds as he was just itching to get involved properly.

Stu, Charlie or Aribo? We all knew when the team sheet was announced - no one would pick Aribo with that choice. Literally no one. God knows what Stu and Charlie were thinking sat watching the statue for 45 minutes. And he’s wasn’t even removed at half time???

So apart from the wrong tactics, playing our football on the wrong part of the pitch, playing either the wrong players or the right players in the wrong positions, having no character, no leadership, no plan to play to our squad strength (wingers) and putting all the pressure of your “brave” tactics on a bunch of kids while letting the adults amble about up top … apart from that it was a good showing. 
And the fans should be more supportive. 
Hmm

We’ve had enough upheaval for me to call for more, but someone needs to take responsibility for telling Martin a few home truths pretty quickly. The squad has enough about it to be pushing for at least play-offs. Yes it lacks a goal scorer (as I’ve been vocal about for 2.5 years) but that’s probably even more reason to not play a system that gifts the opposition goals. 
Currently we are miles off play offs and with our fragile mentality it could get even worse!

The perfect analysis. RM please study sitting alone in a locked room for several hours and then accept its wisdom and act upon it. Otherwise please hand in your resignation. 

• Like 2

If my memory serves me correctly the bunch of chances who own the club wanted the American who was sacked by Leeds, they left RH too long, got NJ, Selles and now RM.

I wouldn't trust them to be able to judge a jam competition at a village fete let alone judge a good football manager.

I will say it again Semmens was caught out by their sales pitch and gave them the keys, rather than the 2 other bidders who had more finances. They are appalling owners and Gao was better, people will scoff but time will prove me right. 

I only watched the 2nd half and we were the more dominant team but got us nowhere as like other managers before, we dont take advantage of a break away we just slow the attack down, just to make sure the opposition are all in their right places and reset, very gentlemanly of us 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The Ipswich goal came from their first shot on target, right?

how does this seemingly keep happening?

The Ipswich goal came from Saints giving the ball away with a sloppy pass under no pressure (pretty sure that it was by Charles, one of our better players). Like nearly all our goals, a sloppy pass, we are currently useless at the basics. You really cannot credit Ipswich with making that goal, it was not due to pressing or a clever interception it was down to us simply giving them the ball in a dangerous area. Really only made one really bad passing error after that (Aribo) that I recall but we were not confident passing.

Can't fathom why we started Charles at CB, with both Bednarek and Holgate on the bench. Charles is just so much better in CM, even if Bednarek wasn't considered fit enough for 90 minutes then why not start with him and replace by Holgate in second half (or vice versa) unless Martin has decided after the Sunderland shit show that Holgate just isn't good enough. 

Seems like Adams has reverted to his "not in contract negotiations" type. Total waste of space, we had no idea in front of goal, we made some good chances and build up play, especially in the second half, was actually decent at times.

13 minutes ago, OldNick said:

If my memory serves me correctly the bunch of chances who own the club wanted the American who was sacked by Leeds, they left RH too long, got NJ, Selles and now RM.

I wouldn't trust them to be able to judge a jam competition at a village fete let alone judge a good football manager.

I will say it again Semmens was caught out by their sales pitch and gave them the keys, rather than the 2 other bidders who had more finances. They are appalling owners and Gao was better, people will scoff but time will prove me right. 

I would take Marsch over Martin easily now. 

I really cant fathom the playing out from your on goal. You are not going to score from there and more likely to concede, whereas a pressing style of play right upfield gives you far more chance to gain an advantage. The opposition know you are playing to hope to draw them out and so set themselves accordingly, no surprise factor. 

We haven't built a squad for this league, no aggressive midfielders who win the ball, no height in attack and so little chance of winning aerial duals 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Getting frustrated at himself continually passing to Ipswich players more like!!

Because his team mates weren't showing for the ball. I lost count of the number of times we gave the ball away simply because there was zero movement. Pass and move, the basic foundation on which everything else is built and RM can't get his team doing it. Staggering.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I really cant fathom the playing out from your on goal. You are not going to score from there and more likely to concede, whereas a pressing style of play right upfield gives you far more chance to gain an advantage. The opposition know you are playing to hope to draw them out and so set themselves accordingly, no surprise factor. 

We haven't built a squad for this league, no aggressive midfielders who win the ball, no height in attack and so little chance of winning aerial duals 

Done well it draws out the opposition and then you hit the spaces created quickly in transition and break in numbers on your opponents - watch Brighton. We don't do it correctly and I'm not sure RM has the nous to coach it - he's not convinced me he has much of a clue about even the basics so I think him trying to coach us to play out from the back is too much of a stretch.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Agreed - we needed to bring in experience (a Milner or similar) and some height - Stewart is that but how long before he is available?  We have a team of (quite good) kids and no leader.  

• Like 1