Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

Will be interesting to see what happens after last nights shambles. IMO, we need to stop trying to be so clever, we are shit at it. Play a right back at right back, centre backs at CB, and centre midfielders in CM. Charles has to play DM, as he seems to be the only one that can do the job. Downes needs to step up, he was appalling last night.

“It won’t happen again” well it just did, in the next game. 3 in a row and the fans are going to lose their shit, but this will be a very tough game against a very good side. 

We need to go into this game to keep it solid, we have shown we can score goals. 

Bazunu; KWP Bednarek THB Manning; Charles Smallbone Downes; Arma Adams Edozie/Fraser

I’m taking my niece for her 14th birthday,  who has really got the bug, despite only getting to see a few shit games over the last few years. Hopefully we can stick a result and performance together for her! I’m not holding my breath though…

• Like 5

Agree about reverting to an orthodox RB and LB set up - we are sacrificing the skills of KWP’s game at present.   Charles has to slot in at CM; will Downes be fit?   Don’t want to see Smallbone again anytime soon - I’d play Alcaraz as the AM.

Lets hope your niece brings a change of fortune.    RM is on the cusp of being on notice.

• Like 2

Bazunu, KwP, Bed, ThB, Manning, Charles, Smallbone, Alcaraz, A.Armstrong, Adams, Edozie

Stop playing Adam Armstrong as a central attacking midfielder, stop playing Charles CB, stop leaving massive wide open spaces when we attack, stop playing the fullbacks as CMers. 

If Martin insists another defeat is part of the 'pain' we must endure, he can piss off too.

One thing though, Ipswich fans will love it if they beat us, don't think they like old Rusty too much.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 5

We're favourites for the win with the bookies, so considering the overwhelming reaction from yesterday's game is that we're the worst team to ever play football or something I presume all our fans will be lumping on an Ipswich win.

Our city will be as collectively rich as one of those little Spanish villages in the hills who always seem to win £8 trillion in the lottery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After that shambles last night , we could go very simple 4-4-2

Whoever fits the  MF and defensive slots best, Adams and Armstrong up front, get something useful out of KWP as an orthodox RB, and at least we would look like a proper team.

obviously we won’t, and with the we have injuries, I’m very pessimistic.

Oh, and it is time for Aribo to step up and earn his wages. Thought he at least looked interested when he came on last night.

Edited by teamsaint
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We're favourites for the win with the bookies, so considering the overwhelming reaction from yesterday's game is that we're the worst team to ever play football or something I presume all our fans will be lumping on an Ipswich win.

Our city will be as collectively rich as one of those little Spanish villages in the hills who always seem to win £8 trillion in the lottery.

After seeing the line ups last night I backed Leicester to win and both teams to score at 7/2 , only had a fiver on it and was mainly based on lack of belief in us to improve after Sunderland.  

Not watched Ipswich closely but from what I've seen they will 100% score against us.

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

After seeing the line ups last night I backed Leicester to win and both teams to score at 7/2 , only had a fiver on it and was mainly based on lack of belief in us to improve after Sunderland.  

Not watched Ipswich closely but from what I've seen they will 100% score against us.

Given the way we 'defend', every team in the league will 100% score against us, we are literally giving away goals for fun, teams don't have to work at all hard to score against us, we leak goals.   RM said we played better than last week and that he was proud of the players...!  I'd hate to see the score in a game where he thought we played badly, we were lucky to get out at 4 last night, very lucky. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Micky said:

Given the way we 'defend', every team in the league will 100% score against us, we are literally giving away goals for fun, teams don't have to work at all hard to score against us, we leak goals.   RM said we played better than last week and that he was proud of the players...!  I'd hate to see the score in a game where he thought we played badly, we were lucky to get out at 4 last night, very lucky. 

This is the issue. We have to work very hard to get three points because we are very unlikely to earn clean sheets. Russell's tactics leave a frail spine of the team exposed consistently, and the end result is fucking obvious to everyone but him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Bazunu, KwP, Bed, ThB, Manning, Charles, Smallbone, Alcaraz, A.Armstrong, Adams, Edozie

Stop playing Adam Armstrong as a central attacking midfielder, stop playing Charles CB, stop leaving massive wide open spaces when we attack, stop playing the fullbacks as CMers. 

If Martin insists another defeat is part of the 'pain' we must endure, he can piss off too.

One thing though, Ipswich fans will love it if they beat us, don't think they like old Rusty too much.

Yep.

Completely agree with this team. Smallbone extremely lucky to keep his place but no real alternative if Downes is out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

What's the point?

Will be the same shitty shambles with stubborn hipster Russ at the helm...

Is ‘hipster’ the new buzzword for any manager who doesn’t stand on the sidelines with an egg stained tank top stretched over his massive beer belly, shouting, "oi! Get it in the f**kin’ mixer you useless c**ts!"?

Ralph’s pressing tactics were ‘hipster’, as was Selles’ turtleneck sweater. Is Nathan Jones the only manager we’ve had recently who isn’t?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Is ‘hipster’ the new buzzword for any manager who doesn’t stand on the sidelines with an egg stained tank top stretched over his massive beer belly, shouting, "oi! Get it in the f**kin’ mixer you useless c**ts!"?

Ralph’s pressing tactics were ‘hipster’, as was Selles’ turtleneck sweater. Is Nathan Jones the only manager we’ve had recently who isn’t?

No, hope that helps. 

• Haha 1

Ipswich won again today, 5 out of 6 wins so far. They’ve a lot of momentum from last season too, basically the complete opposite of us. We’re fragile as fuck, can’t defend and gift opportunities regularly to the opposition. Not being embarrassed is probably the best we can hope for here.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Ipswich - Tuesday 1945
4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

As long as the Ipswich team have watched videos of our last two outings, should be a routine win for them.

Ipswich's biggest enemy will be their own complacency. Be clinical and they'll be fine.

If they have any sense they’ll sit high on us, and if we manage to progress they’ll just leave a couple high and wide… we’ll overplay in the wrong position and be 2 goals down by halftime

• Like 2

1-3 Ipswich. Their counter-attacking style will be perfect for picking off Martin’s suicide tactics. Lose this one and Martin’s job is in real jeopardy. It isn’t must win but certainly mustn’t lose and a 0-0, 1-0, or 1-1 would help reassure people that he has some sort of clue on how to coach and buy him a few more games to show he can adapt. I just think Saints are an experiment for him though and he won’t change. Hence I give him a month absolute tops. Personally, I’d part company now. It’s as obvious as it was with Nathan Jones that it isn’t going to work and the level of disorganisation since the Sheffield Wednesday game is as bad as the Forest/Wolves games. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Monk said:

Chaplin will give us plenty and I mean plenty of shit if he scores. 

Even more of a skate than Mason Mount. 

Something else to look forward to then. Given Martin’s Norwich connections, their fans will dish it out at him if Ipswich are 3/4/5 goals ahead. Could be worse than the flak Jones took from Forest fans given his prior run-ins when you factor in the East Anglian factor. 

Coulc be a painful last game for Russell if he hasn’t achieved a massive improvement in midfield and scrapped the inverted fullback nonsense. 

Bazunu

KWP      Bednarek   THB    Manning

Charles

Fraser       Alcaraz    AA      Edozie

Adams

We need a proper DM in midfield. Downes (injured) and Smallbone were so far off it last night. If Bednarek isnt ready, then Holgate needs to play beside THB. Also never mind poor defensive shape, some of our attempts at tackling last night was embarassing - Edozie, Alcaraz, KWP to name a few. It needs to be better all over.

We'll score, we'll concede and I'm going for a frustrating 2-2 draw

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Ipswich - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic