Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

32 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I shan’t be going. My beautiful wife and constant companion of over 57 years is gravely ill and I shall not be leaving her side. Our grandson has my ticket and he will give me a full and honest report.

Best wishes to your wife. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I shan’t be going. My beautiful wife and constant companion of over 57 years is gravely ill and I shall not be leaving her side. Our grandson has my ticket and he will give me a full and honest report.

Ive just seen this and your responses

Im sorry to hear this Whitey, I hope whatever happens will be as easy as it could possibly be for you and your family

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Our very best wishes from the house of JBS to you Sir and obviously your wife. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Obviously the game is insignificant but hopefully a positive score will come through to bring a brief lift for you. Take care mate. 

• Like 1

Must win, but likely won’t win. I’d go:
Bazunu;
KWP, Bednarek, THB, Manning (reluctantly);
Charles, Stu, Alcaraz
Edozie, Adams, Adam Armstrong

Sulemana - hopefully we appeal his red. Bench Smallbone for doing nothing. Manning only starts because we have no other left back. Fraser unlucky to be benched but he’d be better for impact sub.

Russell Martin can’t fuck this up again, can he?

1-1.

Thoughts are with Whitey. 💪🏻

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Really sorry to hear that Whitey, not much I can say except best wishes to you and your family.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

My thoughts are with you, so sorry to read this.

• Like 1

I think we need to line up like this, Charles simply HAS to start in defensive midfield for me, we just look far too soft without him in there

Smallbone had a poor game against Leicester but Im hoping we have more control Tuesday and can see the best of him

If Bednarek isn’t fit then unfortunately I think Id rather see Holgate at CB then weaken our midfield any further

I think Im also tired of the Arma at 10 experiment… I think he’s better coming from the left, and can help cover Mannings lack of defensive awareness

Simply put.. we HAVE to see a huge improvement on the last 180 mins of football, primarily defensively.. if we are wide open again then serious questions on RMs systems have to be asked… offensively and in possession I do think we are fine, but it mean’s absolutely nothing when we give up so meekly when we concede possession 

IMG_9192.jpeg

• Like 11

I have very little hope that anything will change for this game. It’ll be the same group of players still struggling to successfully implement RM’s tactics and as Ipswich will be set up well, it will be another shambolic chaos resulting in a comprehensive beating. We’re slowly but surely losing ground on the league leaders and squad confidence must be rock bottom (again).

We may score, but equally we may not, such is the inconsistency of our attacking prowess, however we’ll not score enough to win a game of football. 0-3 or 1-3 at best.  Not long now before the fans turn on RM.

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I didn’t want to spoil the debate about the game but it’s a comfort to know that we are all out there for each other.

Take care everybody and give your loved ones that extra hug.

So sorry to hear your news. 

I had a game in similar circumstances 8 years ago. Man City away at the end of the season. Football doesn't matter at these times but the support of friends, family  and dare I say Saints Web posters  does  help. Hope that you can find comfort at this time. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tamesaint said:

So sorry to hear your news. 

I had a game in similar circumstances 8 years ago. Man City away at the end of the season. Football doesn't matter at these times but the support of friends, family  and dare I say Saints Web posters  does  help. Hope that you can find comfort from the support .

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think we need to line up like this, Charles simply HAS to start in defensive midfield for me, we just look far too soft without him in there

Smallbone had a poor game against Leicester but Im hoping we have more control Tuesday and can see the best of him

If Bednarek isn’t fit then unfortunately I think Id rather see Holgate at CB then weaken our midfield any further

I think Im also tired of the Arma at 10 experiment… I think he’s better coming from the left, and can help cover Mannings lack of defensive awareness

Simply put.. we HAVE to see a huge improvement on the last 180 mins of football, primarily defensively.. if we are wide open again then serious questions on RMs systems have to be asked… offensively and in possession I do think we are fine, but it mean’s absolutely nothing when we give up so meekly when we concede possession 

IMG_9192.jpeg

Got to be...and would in-game set up that is far less gung-ho

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I didn’t want to spoil the debate about the game but it’s a comfort to know that we are all out there for each other.

Wishing you and your family all the very best Whitey x

• Like 1

You're one of the good guys Whitey. This is a horrible time for you and your family, and my thoughts and prayers are with you all 💙

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I shan’t be going. My beautiful wife and constant companion of over 57 years is gravely ill and I shall not be leaving her side.

So sorry to read of this. Your presence at her side will her strength and warmth in those last moments. We're all here for her, you and your family in spirit.

• Like 1

Best wishes Whitey, I can empathise, I lost my wife (of 40 years) last November, football becomes an irrelevance (almost). 

• Like 3

Very best wishes to you and your family. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Must win, but likely won’t win. I’d go:
Bazunu;
KWP, Bednarek, THB, Manning (reluctantly);
Charles, Stu, Alcaraz
Edozie, Adams, Adam Armstrong

Sulemana - hopefully we appeal his red. Bench Smallbone for doing nothing. Manning only starts because we have no other left back. Fraser unlucky to be benched but he’d be better for impact sub.

Russell Martin can’t fuck this up again, can he?

1-1.

Thoughts are with Whitey. 💪🏻

That team still has basically 5 forwards in it so will repeat the mistakes and performance. If we’re playing a midfield three it needs:

Shea (the only player in our squad who can tackle)

either Downes or Smallbone alongside Shea (and not as an inside forward)

One of Stu, Charlie or ArmA

I’d personally go Shea, Smallbone (assume Downes will be injured) and Charlie.

I’d probably start ArmA out wide if Kamaldeen is suspended 

We need to stop playing with two AMs. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Chewy said:

That team still has basically 5 forwards in it so will repeat the mistakes and performance. If we’re playing a midfield three it needs:

Shea (the only player in our squad who can tackle)

either Downes or Smallbone alongside Shea (and not as an inside forward)

One of Stu, Charlie or ArmA

I’d personally go Shea, Smallbone (assume Downes will be injured) and Charlie.

I’d probably start ArmA out wide if Kamaldeen is suspended 

We need to stop playing with two AMs. 

I agree we need to stop playing with two attacking midfielders - however, I haven't seen enough defensive qualities from Smallbone to show he can play that role, he is too weak and lightweight for me. Our problem is that we don't have enough muscle in the squad so have few options. That's down to poor transfer activity.

• Like 1

Dear Whitey

My thoughts and prayers are with you today. Everything here is an absolute irrelevance when you read a post like yours. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I was going to have a bit of a moan about the team and the manager but after reading this it’s just not important. I really hope you can find peace and solace in memories of the time you spent together.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Devastated to read this. Thoughts are truly with you at the moment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Whitey. I can only echo what every other well-wisher has said. Peace & Love mate.

• Like 1

Thoughts are with you Whitey. Football is nothing when you can’t share the joy with your loved ones.

Is it time for Saints to set up with a back 5 and less attacking players?

Sit back and draw Ipswich to break us down before we hit them on the break? 
Our attacking football is suicidal and every single time we play into the hands of the opposition.

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Most goals conceded in the league by 3 goals after 6 games (16) and are on track for 101 goals conceded over a season.

Something fundamental in our wingback and midfield set up has to change as its a joke.

Will it happen before Tues ?

Not just a little bit out is it, it's so unbelievably bad it stands out above all other stats, comfortably the WORST defensive record in the WHOLE FOOTBALL LEAGUE, should be a real source of embarrassment to the manager and coaches and force a change in approach yet somehow I think they still "believe in the process" and we'll see more of the same 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

So sorry to read this, WG. We have you and your wife in our thoughts. Best wishes.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Ipswich - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic