Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Well that was predicably depressing. I think you can pretty much call off any auto promotion now, teams that go up top 2 don't lose 2 on the bounce - let alone 3. We're now 9 points adrift of the top spot, with a -6 goal difference in the Championship - let that sink in. How depressing.

And at this rate I'm all for St Mary's being totally demolished and re-built somewhere else, it's just fucked. The place stinks, it's just misery and a cesspit of shit in whatever league and whatever year.

But we sadly have the hallmarks of a Stoke/Swansea/Watford and it feels like we are going to be a miserable also-ran in this league, which with our budget is quite simply unacceptable.

The pieces of a potentially promotion winning side were sold off and replaced with also ran crap. It really is hardly a surprise we can't score with the front line we are trotting out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Once again SR have mismanaged the whole thing. Did we expect anything different after last seasons joke? 

Mid table mediocrity beckons. They are notorious for not taking action when it's going badly. Utterly depressing season ahead again.. 😒

They've sacked three managers in a year 🤣

Another shit result, granted

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Maybe desperately clinging on to Che Adams wasn't that important after all.

Yeah, I am starting to see the sense in us writing off a £15m asset next summer as his goals look like they are going to get us promoted....

Just now, CB Fry said:

Except they didn't do that, did they. Clearly there are issues but there's no point talking nonsense.

Almost all of the quality that could have gotten us promoted was sold off. Selling Tella looks absolutely stupid at this point, that was just completely needless.

• Like 3

Well at least it wasn't a hammering, but it was still truly fucking awful to watch.

Teams really don't have to work too hard to beat us at the moment. Wait long enough and we will hand them a chance or two on a silver plate through our own fucking stupidity.

I could almost - almost - forgive the dodgy defending if we were actually looking threatening ourselves and scoring goals, but we're just not. It's the same old turgid, pedestrian bollocks in attack that it was last season; a bunch of nothing players looking like they have never played together before. Just 1 goal scored in our last 3 games now, and very few decent chances created.

If this carries on we'll be lucky to finish in the top half. We can kiss goodbye to any promotion hopes already.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 6

Just now, Chez said:

Yeah, I am starting to see the sense in us writing off a £15m asset next summer as his goals look like they are going to get us promoted....

Except he isn't a £15m asset as, when push came to shove, no-one wanted to pay that.

1 minute ago, JCBSaint said:

Anybody got any ideas as to what the tactics are? I don’t. We are so bad… 

You make a very fair point. We were without shape or idea from start to finish.  I'm not sure what RM and his coaches do on the training ground but whatever it is they need to be doing something different. We hardly troubled Ipswich who weren't any great shakes themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

They've sacked three managers in a year 🤣

True. What I was getting at was they are notorious for not taking the right action. They sacked Ralph and replaced him with 2 crap managers. If they sack RM eventually, they'll probably appoint someone managing a midtable League One side! 

• Like 1

I don't know where we go from here, but I don't think it can be with RM.

He's been let down by SR I think in terms of personnel - it's easy to see that with hindsight (again).

But his set-ups are just abysmal, he's a strange guy, he won't take responsibility and won't change.

If the SR circus left town tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eyelid - and that's even with all the sharks in the water re football ownership.

We want our football club back

• Like 4

Just now, James said:

Almost all of the quality that could have gotten us promoted was sold off. Selling Tella looks absolutely stupid at this point, that was just completely needless.

We haven't "sold everything that wasn't nailed down". Tella was obviously going on the day we were relegated so I don't know why anyone was remotely surprised he went.

We lost before a ball was even kicked.... 

That lineup seriously what the actual fack! 

What is it with last couple of managers trying to be clever and playing players out of position!

It's not rocket science you slick hair tit! 

Charles as a defensive mid from the start... and actually field the CBs....

Jesus facking wept! 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

That midfield we started with would struggle in league 2. Woeful planning and squad management. How the fuck is Armstrong captain ffs.

More to the point, how the hell is he in the team and starting in midfield. It is just beyond belief that we are in this situation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, James said:

Yeah selling tella was nuts. Promising to replace him but not doing so criminal.

fraser is as decidedly average as I thought(despite oot reaction to his qpr cameo)

Utterly stinking. Stop the vanity project now. 

Atrocious, avoidable goals gifted to the opposition because of the stubbornness and delusion of one man. 

No cohesive patterns of play going forward.

Zero shape when it comes to defending or losing possession.

Courage. Be Brave. Oh just fuck off you tosser.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 7

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Yeah selling tella was nuts. Promising to replace him but not doing so criminal.

fraser is as decidedly average as I thought(despite oot reaction to his qpr cameo)

Fraser is fine as a squad player in this league but not as a starter for a team with any ambition. Not really a surprise that we were publicly told Tella would be replaced and then let down under this ownership.

• Like 1

Defence a concern

Midfield a concern

Attack a concern 

Manager a concern

Home form a concern

Still early but we aren’t going up this season as it stands. The sad thing about not going up will be missing out on signing THB permanently, losing quality players like Edozie and being left with the players nobody wants… again. We need to try to get back to winning ways and the best way I can see us doing that is by playing your best players. Alcaraz and Sulemana must start. We better hope to god Stewart is fit soon and finds form quickly. As for defence and midfield… god knows.

• Like 1

That starting line up was confirmed to be pretty shite. Weak in the middle. 

The seriously concerning thing is that Martin couldn't see it.

We tightened up second half by making changes that we should have had as part of our starting 11. It reeks of ineptitude. The saving grace is that he actually saw the issue and solution and made a change.

Fuck me though, the players are a bunch of soft green eared wankers, aren't they? Couldn't penetrate a house of cards. Embarrassing.

Just look at our goal difference. A ridiculous indictment of how bereft we are of belief or passion. Relaxed Russell certainly isn't bringing any of the latter out of the team.

Are we now Stoke City?

Numb.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well that was predicably depressing. I think you can pretty much call off any auto promotion now, teams that finish top 2 don't lose 2 on the bounce - let alone 3. We're now 9 points adrift of the top spot, with a -6 goal difference in the Championship - let that sink in. How depressing.

And at this rate I'm all for St Mary's being totally demolished and re-built somewhere else, it's just fucked. The place stinks, it's just misery and a cesspit of shit in whatever league and whatever year.

But we sadly have the hallmarks of a Stoke/Swansea/Watford and it feels like we are going to be a miserable also-ran in this league, which with our budget is quite simply unacceptable.

clinging to the hope we somehow emulate a team like Forest, who lost 6 and drew one in their first 7 games two seasons ago. They sacked Houghton and went on an amazing run that saw them promoted via the play offs. A couple of wins (which we have) in those first 7 games and they would have got automatic.

My two pence worth:

Adams can’t play as the solo forward

Smallbone can’t play as the holding mid and Charles much better in there

We lack a leader (still)

We don’t actually create that much

If Armstrong is to be captain then need to play him in his best role

Stu Armstrong did more in his sub appearance than Aribo and Smallbone combined

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chez said:

clinging to the hope we somehow emulate a team like Forest, who lost 6 and drew one in their first 7 games two seasons ago. They sacked Houghton and went on an amazing run that saw them promoted via the play offs. A couple of wins (which we have) in those first 7 games and they would have got automatic.

That would require SR to acknowledge this isn't good enough and fix it. They won't do that for my money.

• Like 2

Many of the forum saw it ages ago bit hopefully RM will stumble on the fact that you play Shea in a defensive midfield role and we look better. Playing AA in other than a no.8 role is pointless. Smallbone is awful. Can't stand Sulemana but perhaps play him and Edozie to start with Fraser coming on as sub.

Fail at Middlesbro and RM's countdown could begin in earnest.

• Like 1

Just now, EBS1980 said:

My two pence worth:

We lack a leader (still)

what is AA's best role?

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

We'll have too much of an upheaval in January to maintain any momentum for that. KWP, Alcaraz, Sulemana, Adams and co will all be offski and we'll be looking for the 2024 versions of Wright, Makin and Powell.

Lots to look forward to.

I think we're here to stay for a very, very long time.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

My two pence worth:

We lack a leader (still)

What’s worrying is we knew all this last season 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James said:

That would require SR to acknowledge this isn't good enough and fix it. They won't do that for my money.

You are right. They keep spunking millions buying out contracts (and then giving them three year deals) on employed managers that aren't all that. Makes it tough to sack them five minutes later. They did give Jones the old heave ho in the end mind