January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

12 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Jack Clarke linked on facebook link thingy

Clarke is exactly the type of player we should be signing. The best players from clubs in the same leauge, good enough to take the step up (imo). 

However, its quite clearly not going to happen. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not about how we personally feel about players. I want the club to get the players that they deem to be good enough because they are more likely to do well. 

Considering the recent success in the transfer market, not sure I agree... 

18 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Why haven't we sort our lack lustre performance in the transfer market???? we never seem to get deals done and end up doing bad business signing injured players or bad options who aren't fit enough to play in the starting 11. we have money to paly with lets be dominant in the market. 

As for Che Adams, i think he doesn't want to be here. as if he did he would have extended his contract. lets sell him for an acceptable figure 15m is to high for a player who scores some goals but not loads.

\Lets get fraser on a permanent and get someone who isn't afraid to take some chances from outside of the 6yrd box

IMG_0617.jpeg

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I like Fraser. But could he be as effective next season should we go up?

on loan for another season - yes - and them maybe a free transfer after that - maybe.  As a permanent transfer on a 2 or 3 year contract - no.

Same with Holgate.

• Like 1

I think Brooks would be a good signing on loan for the rest of this season in the Championship.  I wouldn't take the risk on a permanent transfer as he may never get back to where he was.

But surely it makes sense to both clubs and the player as a 6 month loan.  He will get more playing time with us - and get properly match fit - and a chance to get back to where he was. And if he does I expect Bournemouth will welcome him back in to the fold next season. And we get to fill a hole in the sqaud without having to commit to a permanent signing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rebel said:

on loan for another season - yes - and them maybe a free transfer after that - maybe.  As a permanent transfer on a 2 or 3 year contract - no.

Same with Holgate.

Holgate isn't good enough for us in the Championship, absolutely no way we'll be interested in him in the Prem

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Holgate isn't good enough for us in the Championship, absolutely no way we'll be interested in him in the Prem

Man of the Match his last full game suggests otherwise in this league. 

His standard transfer fee and standard wages demanded would rule him out for sure- but his suitability for the squad- no- he’s suitable and a useful squad asset being able to play at CB or FB so in this league that’s not really up for debate. 

What happens if we go up is another story. It’s unlikely THB, Jan or JS would leave if we go up - and possible Saints might consider keeping the same four in the EPL including Mason. Big Mistake imo. 

Of those four only THB is top EPL class, imo.

JS and Beds I love them to bits but they would not be top top cb’s in the EPL. Maybe good enough for bottom ten clubs at best. Which, hate to say it, is probably gonna be our level- if we do well. 

Mason, if repeating his mom form and ironing out his silly mistakes potentially may be the same but probability suggests not. 

Says to me if we go up Saints will look to get at least one top top CB prospect or half finished one. We do have a possible coming back from overseas loan…😉*

*ABK - though he does not start for them he’s getting the experience in a team thats best in the Eredisivie and in a ridiculous unbeaten league run so it’s hardly surprising he’s not breaking in. They smash teams every week.. Current transfermkt value €19M - which is more than what we paid (€11m) so objectively the markets says he’s improving…might be the potentially great new Cb without a fee for us - or his sale may fund a replacement. 

Edited by gio1saints

50 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Holgate is fine as a squad option in this league but I wouldn't want him at Saints at all if we got promoted. 

• Like 3

Celtic are keen on this guy. A pacy winger highly regarded at Austria Vienna. Left footer. £3m gets him apparently. Unlikely to be on much wages either. 

Cheap alternate option to the GB based winger options we linked with? We would usually buy this guy from Celtic next season for £8m so why not get him now before he gets more expensive?😂 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Holgate is fine as a squad option in this league but I wouldn't want him at Saints at all if we got promoted. 

Likewise. I watched him plenty of times for Everton and he's far too error prone.

• Like 1

We have certainly burned our fingers with Stewart so it is unlikely we'll do the same in January by splashing cash on unproven players. Try before you buy in future should be the transfer policy although that risks only recruiting the "also ran" type of players like Holgate and Brooks who are not quite good enough for whatever reasons to stake a place in their own club's first team squads.

Surely we cannot contemplate a PL future with such players, the future must be with youngsters like Jayden Meghoma, Sam Amo-Ameyaw and Tyler Dibling.

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We have certainly burned our fingers with Stewart so it is unlikely we'll do the same in January by splashing cash on unproven players. Try before you buy in future should be the transfer policy although that risks only recruiting the "also ran" type of players like Holgate and Brooks who are not quite good enough for whatever reasons to stake a place in their own club's first team squads.

Surely we cannot contemplate a PL future with such players, the future must be with youngsters like Jayden Meghoma, Sam Amo-Ameyaw and Tyler Dibling.

You honestly think those three lads are ready for Premier League football should we go up? Do you even go to matches?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

His standard transfer fee and standard wages demanded would rule him out for sure- but his suitability for the squad- no- he’s suitable and a useful squad asset being able to play at CB or FB so in this league that’s not really up for debate. 

What happens if we go up is another story. It’s unlikely THB, Jan or JS would leave if we go up - and possible Saints might consider keeping the same four in the EPL including Mason. Big Mistake imo. 

JS and Beds I love them to bits but they would not be top top cb’s in the EPL. Maybe good enough for bottom ten clubs at best. Which, hate to say it, is probably gonna be our level- if we do well. 

Mason, if repeating his mom form and ironing out his silly mistakes potentially may be the same but probability suggests not. 

Says to me if we go up Saints will look to get at least one top top CB prospect or half finished one. We do have a possible coming back from overseas loan…😉*

*ABK - though he does not start for them he’s getting the experience in a team thats best in the Eredisivie and in a ridiculous unbeaten league run so it’s hardly surprising he’s not breaking in. They smash teams every week.. Current transfermkt value €19M - which is more than what we paid (€11m) so objectively the markets says he’s improving…might be the potentially great new Cb without a fee for us - or his sale may fund a replacement. 

ABK will come back as he is under contract, but I struggle to see him playing for us again. We haven't sent him out on loan to gain experience, he's gone out on loan cos he didn't want to play for us in the championship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

THB himself has yet to prove he can cut it in the Prem. The little positioning and decision-making errors are not exposed in the championship. Also, oes he have the pace and power needed? I'm not saying he doesn't, but right now our defenders have an easy life compared to the Prem - we have all the ball and are under little pressure.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

ABK will come back as he is under contract, but I struggle to see him playing for us again. We haven't sent him out on loan to gain experience, he's gone out on loan cos he didn't want to play for us in the championship. 

And he's played a grand total of 5 games at PSV before picking up another shoulder injury (he had one with us didn't he?). Hardly helping his sell on value

• Like 3

ABK has only played for PSV a handful of times having got himself injured yet again (I think another shoulder dislocation and a shoulder surgery this time to stop it happening again). This is the longest time he has been out injured, 83 days and counting so far.

Even if he wanted to stay with us in this league I’m not sure his body could handle it, maybe his surgery will have fixed the problem and we can see him become the player we think he can be. Very frustrating for him as well, I’m sure.

We could do with him playing the second half of the season as one of our few assets out on loan that could attract a decent fee and help with FFP. Alternatively, should we go up, he may come back into the fold.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

Yes Injury prone, yes not playing much but also yes he is still registered to Saints and will be back next season unless sold or loaned out again. 

He gets fitness back and a decent run of games the last half of season it’s like a new signing at CB. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Danbert said:

I'll die on the hill that had we had to rely on Holgate all this season, he'd have been absolutely fine for us. A bit like Stephens, hes a touch unlucky to be behind, imo the 2 best CB's in this leauge. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Yes Injury prone, yes not playing much but also yes he is still registered to Saints and will be back next season unless sold or loaned out again. 

He gets fitness back and a decent run of games the last half of season it’s like a new signing at CB. 

He could jump ship fast enough. I'd be very surprised if he was welcomed back into the fold. Obviously he's contracted to us, but I just don't see him merging back in like Bednarek did. We'll see.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'll die on the hill that had we had to rely on Holgate all this season, he'd have been absolutely fine for us. A bit like Stephens, hes a touch unlucky to be behind, imo the 2 best CB's in this leauge. 

He had a terrible start. Horrific, but like you say, if it wasn't for the fact we had two or three other decent cbs (at this level) he'd of retained his place and found his feet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I like Fraser. But could he be as effective next season should we go up?

Really unlikely, I see him as part of the squad assembled purely to gain promotion. Having said that, he may be rewarded with a deal, but I can't see him doing it in the prem as a wide player.

24 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Attitudes like his were a large part of the reason we got relegated

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, Chez said:

THB himself has yet to prove he can cut it in the Prem. The little positioning and decision-making errors are not exposed in the championship. Also, oes he have the pace and power needed? I'm not saying he doesn't, but right now our defenders have an easy life compared to the Prem - we have all the ball and are under little pressure.

My worry is his pace and I’m a big admirer of THB. With pace you can get away with minor positional errors.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

I'd completely forgotten about ABK - but given his temperament last season I would sell him this summer whatever league we were in.  

Is this the same poor temperament that Sulemana supposedly had but which Martin seemed genuinely shocked to hear mention of?

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

You honestly think those three lads are ready for Premier League football should we go up? Do you even go to matches?

You mis-read, I said our future. I have a season ticket. Hope that straightens up your misunderstandings.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You mis-read, I said our future. I have a season ticket. Hope that straightens up your misunderstandings.

Not really. How do you measure the future? Is future tomorrow, next month or next year? These lads might never be ready to play in the Premier League. For every JWP etc there are at least twice as many Jake Vokins and Jake Hesketh's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

ABK can do one !  Made of glass cos he has no bottle! Never want to see him in a Saints shirt again .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chez said:

He could jump ship fast enough. I'd be very surprised if he was welcomed back into the fold. Obviously he's contracted to us, but I just don't see him merging back in like Bednarek did. We'll see.

Bednarek came back as his alter ego Janny B. Who's to say ABK couldn't do the same? Belly K for example

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, gammon cheeks said:

ABK can do one !  Made of glass cos he has no bottle! Never want to see him in a Saints shirt again .

Thought he was as impressive as Lavia Early last season his form was so good even got called up by Germany 

i get he didn’t want to stay after we went down but there’s obviously a class young centre back there 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Considering the recent success in the transfer market, not sure I agree... 

So you'd rather Southampton failed to get the players they have earmarked as the ones they want because there is a chance that they might not work out? Interesting stance. 

What a fortunate position we are in that any extra signings are nice to have rather than being fundamental to our season. We will almost certainly get a winger in but even if we don't, I've got faith we have enough in the squad to get the job done. 

• Like 3