January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

36 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Not really...There's a ton of middle ground. I can't think of a transfer from Scotland to England who's just been "okay"

Stuart Armstrong is a "world beater" is he?

I like him, but he's not a "world beater".

Aribo is definitely not a world beater but he's not a "complete flop" either.

Both sonewhere on the middle scale of "okay".

Your point is nuts.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Stuart Armstrong is a "world beater" is he?

I like him, but he's not a "world beater".

Aribo is definitely not a world beater but he's not a "complete flop" either.

Both sonewhere on the middle scale of "okay".

Your point is nuts.

Neil McCann?

4 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Anyone with any info on Kami Doyle? Lack of news on him suggests he's off to me.

Injured in terms of playing time. But more concerning is he's out of contract in the summer. The fact he hasnt signed up when others have (Dibling, SAA, Ballard etc) would suggest he's been offered one but has rejected or stalled. 

Be gutted to lose him.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The fact that Small's return hasn't been announced by Saints makes me think another loan move is in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if he played the cup game at the weekend then went out on loan again.

Holgate staying can only be good news. I think he'll almost certainly play Saturday too.

It has been announced by the club. https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/thierry-small-recalled-from-st-mirren-loan

Be amazed if he came back here to play. Over-inflated sense of his own ability has seen him fall away.

Couldn't even get in a Port Vale or StMirren sides in his recent loan spells, and despite relegation, wasn't even given a chance in 1st team training in the summer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Injured in terms of playing time. But more concerning is he's out of contract in the summer. The fact he hasnt signed up when others have (Dibling, SAA, Ballard etc) would suggest he's been offered one but has rejected or stalled. 

Be gutted to lose him.

I think he didn't want to sign one last year because he wanted evidence he would get game time this season. The injury has come at an awful time in that regard as now he's got a lot of work on to get into the side and doubt he'll sign one if he doesn't. Think it could just be unfortunate timing of events that lead to him leaving. Germany mentioned last season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Danbert said:

If Holgate is staying, am I right in thinking we can't bring anyone else in on loan as we've used our quota? I miss MLG 😞

As far as I understand, you can bring in as many as you want but can only name 5 in a matchday squad. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d6a0bec458d03512e6fa2009aa9c1e06.jpeg

Always thought he'd stay. Dyche doesn't want him back and there won't be too many other clubs that can afford his wages. The fact he ain't getting games is less important to Everton than having some of his wages off their books. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

Always thought he'd stay. Dyche doesn't want him back and there won't be too many other clubs that can afford his wages. The fact he ain't getting games is less important to Everton than having some of his wages off their books. 

Although he is under contract until 2025 so better for Everton if he is playing somewhere and attracting interest for the summer window either for perm move or at least a coub that can pay a decent percentage of his wages on another loan.

I imagine Everton will happily recall him once he has found an agreement with another team and when that team agree to at least match whatever financials are involved now. No need for them to recall him before then as they don't want to end up being stuck with him and his full wages for the rest of the season if another move were to break down.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fraser Spinney said:

We’ve been linked with a move for Hearts captain Lawrence Shankland. Celtic probably favourites but we’re interested.

https://www.southamptonfc.news/news/russell-martin-now-eyeing-18-goal-marksman-to-bolster-southampton-promotion-bid/

Sounds like a Saints type move. 6’1” tall, two footed, can head a ball and knows where the goal is…what’s not to like? A Che upgrade if you like.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Although he is under contract until 2025 so better for Everton if he is playing somewhere and attracting interest for the summer window either for perm move or at least a coub that can pay a decent percentage of his wages on another loan.

I imagine Everton will happily recall him once he has found an agreement with another team and when that team agree to at least match whatever financials are involved now. No need for them to recall him before then as they don't want to end up being stuck with him and his full wages for the rest of the season if another move were to break down.

Sure, but you can probably name the current championship clubs who can afford to pay 50% of his wages (£35k a week) on three fingers, Leicester, Leeds and us. Neither of those other sides will want a player that has struggled at our place.

Realistically, I don't think anyone is taking him off Everton's hands next summer on a permanent deal. They'd have to pay him £70k a week (at least for the first year) to match his current contract and there is no reason for him to leave Everton to get less money. He'll sit tight earning £70k until the summer of 2025, allbeit he may go out on loan again. 

Hopefully he will stay and if called upon will show what he can really do. 

18 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Sorry if mentioned, Brereton Diaz to join Sheff Utd.

Ends any possibility of Che going there - not that there has been any genuine links. I mention them only because he is extremely well liked by Blades and of course the fact they need a new striker.

Not sure what other options are available to Che. You wonder if he has missed the 'Prem' boat. Everton bought Beto and Wolves are flying with what they have, so possibly have moved on. I guess if they offload Kaladzic there might be a spot to fill.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Sounds like a Saints type move. 6’1” tall, two footed, can head a ball and knows where the goal is…what’s not to like? A Che upgrade if you like.

On paper he sounds fantastic. But he is playing against poor opposition.

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ends any possibility of Che going there - not that there has been any genuine links. I mention them only because he is extremely well liked by Blades and of course the fact they need a new striker.

Not sure what other options are available to Che. You wonder if he has missed the 'Prem' boat. Everton bought Beto and Wolves are flying with what they have, so possibly have moved on. I guess if they offload Kaladzic there might be a spot to fill.  

Kaladzic looks like he is going back to Germany   https://bulinews.com/news/19855/wolfsburg-join-frankfurt-pursuit-kalajdzic

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Think we need a striker in for the promotion push whether Che stays or not.

Disagree, unless we were bringing someone in who was clearly better than Adams - which is highly unlikely, especially if we didnt have the wages/fee saving from selling Adams.

IMO we will only get a striker if Adams (or Mara) were to leave.

Wide right player is more important I think. Edozie aside, the amount of goals (or goals per mins) from our attacking midfielders is poor and a clear area to target an improvement.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Disagree, unless we were bringing someone in who was clearly better than Adams - which is highly unlikely, especially if we didnt have the wages/fee saving from selling Adams.

Wide right player is more important I think. Edozie aside, the amount of goals (or goals per mins) from our attacking midfielders is poor and a clear area to target an improvement.

Think @Wade Garrettand @Dusicare both right. 
I think we already bought that goalscoring Striker we absolutely need - but he’s out for the season.

I think we are very unlikely to buy another - UNLESS he’s relatively cheap - and UNLESS we lose Che.

In which case then who is to say wether keeping Che but losing his fee is better than buying a cheap unknown striker, more money spent but no guarantee?

At least with Che it’s the devil you know might go the reasoning.  

Overall I’d hope we plump for another striker myself - as it’s not just for January but hopefully next season in the EPL. As well as- and this has not been mentioned previously - god forbid AA gets a bad injury - In which case someone complimentary to a squad that may  include a still unfit Ross Stewart.is not just a maybe idea but sound squad management..

Does not mean Sekou is out but it does mean we have an alternate to Sekou up front - instead of no proper goalscoring striker alternative and forced perhaps into a makeshift solution which may- or may not - work at a critical part of the season..

it’s an insurance policy but basically. A Very Sensible but optional one. We could save money not doing it. Though and still go up. Wonder who wins the argument in the Office? 

Or we could try carrying on this false nine thing which to me is not our best solution albeit we are unbeaten with it. Arguments for and against I guess. 

Edited by gio1saints

59 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Not sure I agree with that. 

I expect the club to sign a striker even if it’s on loan until the summer. 

We signed Stewart to play with the squad we currently have and he’s out for the season so I would expect the club to sign a replacement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

Not sure I agree with that. 

I expect the club to sign a striker even if it’s on loan until the summer. 

We signed Stewart to play with the squad we currently have and he’s out for the season so I would expect the club to sign a replacement. 

Again, it hinges on Adams. We didnt expect Stewart to be up to speed until December anyway and the club will probably accept decent offers for Adams in Jan considering his contract situation. If he goes then obviously we need someone.

If he doesnt then we have Adams, Armstring and Mara, with Alcaraz able to play up there if we have a mad injury crisis and arguably Sulemana when he is back. It also seems Stewart might be available near the end of the season if absolutely needed.

To loan someone in who is better than all of those three would be pretty tough, not to mention costly when we are clearly up against it FFP wise considering how much we spent during our last PL season.

We don't need squad fillers, we need players who will improve our starting XI if we make any signings.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dusic said:

Except you seem to be ignoring A Armstrong is mainly playing right wing.. either with che as cf, or a false 9 like alcaraz .

we are clearly weaker in the cf position 

I’m aware some people will consider this impatient as we have plenty of time before the window closes, but Danny Ings handed his notice in 3 years ago. 
Any chance of a replacement?

Why is this not sorted for January 1st? It’s not like we haven’t known about this for some time!!!

Yes it’s a difficult market, yes there’s FFP, yes everyone wants a goal scorer but either we’ve sorted someone or we haven’t. 
If we haven’t, please can we avoid last minute panics that get us a crock (Stewart), an overpriced and unproven kid (Mara) or someone entirely unsuited to our style of play (Onuachu). 
One thing to sort in 3 years and we still haven’t. Basically cost us relegation, worried it’ll cost us promotion.

Lots to be happy about right now but this situation is not acceptable for an ‘elite’ professional football club.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I’m aware some people will consider this impatient as we have plenty of time before the window closes, but Danny Ings handed his notice in 3 years ago. 

Why is this not sorted for January 1st? It’s not like we haven’t known about this for some time!!!

Yes it’s a difficult market, yes there’s FFP, yes everyone wants a goal scorer but either we’ve sorted someone or we haven’t. 
If we haven’t, please can we avoid last minute panics that get us a crock (Stewart), an overpriced and unproven kid (Mara) or someone entirely unsuited to our style of play (Onuachu). 
One thing to sort in 3 years and we still haven’t. Basically cost us relegation, worried it’ll cost us promotion.

Lots to be happy about right now but this situation is not acceptable for an ‘elite’ professional football club.

3 years, calm  in nothing.  We've not replaced Fonte or Van Dijk properly yet and that was 7 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Hardly any transfer, to any club, in any transfer window has ever been done when the window opens on the first of January or whenever the summer date is. Negotiations just don’t work that way and other clubs have no motivation to sell players as soon as possible in that way.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Hardly any transfer, to any club, in any transfer window has ever been done when the window opens on the first of January or whenever the summer date is. Negotiations just don’t work that way and other clubs have no motivation to sell players as soon as possible in that way.

i think you'll find we managed to do a world record one before the window had even opened once. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

More like three months after it closed.

Pointing out one rare and unique exception does not change the point- which is that it’s incredibly rare for deals to close on NY day.
So we probably should not read too much into it that we did not sign a Striker accordingly. Not denying it would be well received by fans but that it did not happen by now is, frankly, no surprise at all. 

More of interest to me is who gets left out of squads so as to not get cup tied on Saturday!!! That’s worth looking at. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Pointing out one rare and unique exception does not change the point- which is that it’s incredibly rare for deals to close on NY day.
So we probably should not read too much into it that we did not sign a Striker accordingly. Not denying it would be well received by fans but that it did not happen by now is, frankly, no surprise at all. 

More of interest to me is who gets left out of squads so as to not get cup tied on Saturday!!! That’s worth looking at. 

The only player we have who is attractive to a Premier League team at a level where they might be concerned about his availability for the FA Cup is KWP. But I think he needs to be left out anyway  for a rest after the constant battering he gets. The cup is so low priority for us that it isn't an issue for any player we might bring in. I am a rugged traditionalist, but even I feel the cup-tied rule is a needless hangover from the Victorian era. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

3 years, calm  in nothing.  We've not replaced Fonte or Van Dijk properly yet and that was 7 years ago.

I'm not convinced that Danny Wallace was ever properly replaced, and we may as well have shut up shop when we sold Rodney.